Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You edited the manga part of your post out so now my post looks weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Where's my pro wrestling superhero universe.

https://shop.boom-studios.com/series/detail/606/wwe

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

You edited the manga part of your post out so now my post looks weird.

Sorry. I decided I didn't need to be so snarky in reply to ya.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sorry. I decided I didn't need to be so snarky in reply to ya.

I edited out a snarky reply I made to your edited out snarkiness, so now the whole thread is a friendlier place.

But seriously Hanebado is gonna own so hard

I haven't actually read it but the trailer looks great and people say the manga is about a n ordinary girl becoming an unstoppable badminton monster, which sounds awesome

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that Jojo?

Although between the prominence of Luchador pop culture and talented artists in Mexico and South America, I'm surprised there isn't a bunch of Luchador comics.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD88HIKoFzk

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'll take the Looks Like poo poo variant, please.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I would personally buy at least 5 copies of Wonder Woman: Aim For The Ace.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that Jojo?

Kind of, but I want all conflicts to be decided within the squared circle. Civil War ends with Cap and Iron Man in a hell in the cell match, with a shocking run-in from "Tha Public Servantz".

I want The Rock to end his promos by flying off into the sky.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Although between the prominence of Luchador pop culture and talented artists in Mexico and South America, I'm surprised there isn't a bunch of Luchador comics.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD88HIKoFzk

There were a lot of cheap luchador comics here in Mexico since the early 50's I think. Almost every big name wrestler got his own short lived comic or at least a feature in Sensacional de Luchas during the 80's and well into the 90's.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Kind of, but I want all conflicts to be decided within the squared circle. Civil War ends with Cap and Iron Man in a hell in the cell match, with a shocking run-in from "Tha Public Servantz".

I want The Rock to end his promos by flying off into the sky.

Tiger Mask

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Kinnikuman for all wrestling comics needs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'll take the Looks Like poo poo variant, please.

I'd read a Mick Foley comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Covok posted:

I'd read a Mick Foley comic.

He wrote for the previous (?) series.
https://www.comixology.com/Mick-Foley/comics-creator/9911

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wait, Mick Foley writes comics?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a co-writing credit, so who knows if he actually did.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's a co-writing credit, so who knows if he actually did.

That sounds like Mick Foley basically gave ideas then the writer did the real work. That's not to poo poo on Mick Foley, but that's how I think every celeb co-lab is if they ain't the main writer. Except for CM Punk who I think actually did legit-ly write some books like Draxx and something with Kung Fu.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Covok posted:

That sounds like Mick Foley basically gave ideas then the writer did the real work. That's not to poo poo on Mick Foley, but that's how I think every celeb co-lab is if they ain't the main writer. Except for CM Punk who I think actually did legit-ly write some books like Draxx and something with Kung Fu.

Yeah, Raven co-wrote an issue of Spider-Man's Tangled Web (#14, about the wrestler from Spider-Man's first appearance) with Brian Azzarello.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I personally find the current WWE comic extremely enjoyable, because its premise is "what if the last few years of WWE, but it was all real?" So it pulls stuff like actually following Seth Rollins after he gets injured as he broods and plots revenge on both Roman Reigns (for taking his spotlight) and HHH (for being a dick to him when he was champion), and then wildly tone-swings later on when Dean Ambrose and Sasha Banks get kidnapped and brought to the Wyatt compound, which culminates in a monster truck fight because how else would those three characters escalate a fight?

I dunno, it may be an acquired taste, and it's definitely not making any concessions for non-WWE fans who might pick it up out of curiosity, but I like it.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

That's Imagine Stan Lee Created Batman. And none of the rest of the Imagine Stan Lee Created The DC Universe. Unsurprisingly it's the only good one.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Awhile back I suggested that american comics could save themselves by switching to being entirely about sports. All the characters you love, but doing sports instead of dull superhero poo poo. It turns out this was not an original idea.

This is official art from the shortlived DC DotA clone. So the sports DC universe is canon. It already exists. We just need to convince DC to switch to telling stories about that Earth

So in this universe did Booster Gold wash up as a superhero and travel back in time to become a shameless, commercially sponsored athlete?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I like the thought experiment of what other settings the entire universe could be in while maintaining the characters and their relationships. Sports would definitely work, with the Olympics and big tournaments acting as crossover events.

Covok
May 27, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

I like the thought experiment of what other settings the entire universe could be in while maintaining the characters and their relationships. Sports would definitely work, with the Olympics and big tournaments acting as crossover events.

Police Procedural, where everyone works in different levels of the police department. Like Batman works in homocide and Superman working in Public Affairs and Outreach.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Covok posted:

Police Procedural, where everyone works in different levels of the police department. Like Batman works in homocide and Superman working in Public Affairs and Outreach.

Top 10 already exists though and there's no way we'd get something better than that!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Instead of that book, can Alan Moore just do another twelve issues of Top 10?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my hero academia taught me that tourament arcs overstay their welcome by about 10 episodes

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You got a shonen, you gotta have tournament arcs, it's the law.

edit: Guy Goodbody, you don't need to post counterexamples.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tournament arcs are only a problem if it's not team based. Like, if you have a big cast and every single match is 1v1, then of course it's gonna be difficult o have good plot or character arc flow when you need to keep switching focus. But if it's a team sport, and you've got the majority of the characters all playing together, then it's fine.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

You got a shonen, you gotta have tournament arcs, it's the law.

edit: Guy Goodbody, you don't need to post counterexamples.

I'm just saying, Barefoot Gen is technically shonen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Total tangent, but I'm making a Marvel Heroic Roleplaying event for my players. The premise is Galactus makes a bunch of Earth villains his heralds randomly by shooting down the Power Cosmic from the sky, they are let to roam around at first starting fires while the heroes wonder where Galactus is and try to put out the fires, then he pops out through Reed's portal to the Negative Zone because he was traveling through there, surprise attacks New York with his main heralds and his new ones and attacks key places in the world, then Doom betrays Galactus as a herald and merges with him into Doomlactus, and then the heroes have to stop Doomlactus -- who promised not to eat Earth -- from eating the rest of the universe.

I can get Doomlactus from the lastest issues of Marvel Two-In-One, but anyone have any good fanart of villains like Magneto and Kingpin and Venom with the power cosmic? Thinking of at least having these villains:
  • Magneto
  • Kingpin
  • Doctor Doom
  • Mysterio
  • Arcade
  • Red Skull
Don't need it, but it might enhance the experience to show the players fanart.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

Total tangent, but I'm making a Marvel Heroic Roleplaying event for my players. The premise is Galactus makes a bunch of Earth villains his heralds randomly by shooting down the Power Cosmic from the sky, they are let to roam around at first starting fires while the heroes wonder where Galactus is and try to put out the fires, then he pops out through Reed's portal to the Negative Zone because he was traveling through there, surprise attacks New York with his main heralds and his new ones and attacks key places in the world, then Doom betrays Galactus as a herald and merges with him into Doomlactus, and then the heroes have to stop Doomlactus -- who promised not to eat Earth -- from eating the rest of the universe.

I can get Doomlactus from the lastest issues of Marvel Two-In-One, but anyone have any good fanart of villains like Magneto and Kingpin and Venom with the power cosmic? Thinking of at least having these villains:
  • Magneto
  • Kingpin
  • Doctor Doom
  • Mysterio
  • Arcade
  • Red Skull
Don't need it, but it might enhance the experience to show the players fanart.

Doctor Doom literally had the power cosmic at one point it's in the Lee/Kirby run.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Doctor Doom literally had the power cosmic at one point it's in the Lee/Kirby run.

Thanks!

Edit: I really like the Kirby Krackle being the power cosmic. It feels more powerful than just some silver light stuff they tend to do nowadays.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 26, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cosmic Kingpin

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of anime/manga I'm super stoked that The Vinland Saga is going to get an anime. I just hope it isn't like the other manga adaptation Yukimora got where they padded out the story with a bunch of new side characters.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
red skull

site fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 26, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I picture a Cosmic Power Kingpin with the exact same Businessman Mafioso look, but a bit sparkly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

site posted:

red skull

ooooh, nice. Thanks! That works well.

Samuringa posted:

I picture a Cosmic Power Kingpin with the exact same Businessman Mafioso look, but a bit sparkly.

I thought it'd be interesting to have a guy whose used to being a mafia crimelord to suddenly become a god. Tried to focus on villains who would do something interesting. Arcade would make a super murderworld and Magneto would use it to try to save mutantkind, for example. A man run by greed and business becoming a god would be interesting since his actions would be less overt.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just superimpose a picture of the back of a ladybug over a character. Done.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just superimpose a picture of the back of a ladybug over a character. Done.

...what?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The power cosmic has been retconned to appear as a tribute to this lady's fashion sense.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-silver-surfer-just-told-one-of-the-best-love-stories-in-comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been enjoying Astro City but I've come to the end of the trades I bought with Local Heroes.

The next few--the Dark Age Book 1 and Book 2--both seem to be ~$40+.

Is there some reliably better way to get the trades for a reasonable price or should I just buy the floppies? I don't tend to like doing that, but I don't think it's justified spending way more for the trade if it's at a premium for some reason and I just want to read the stories. And this is under the assumption that I can get the 16 issues for less than ~$80, which seems reasonable to me.

And I know it's an anthology so I don't REALLY need to read them in order, but the world-building is done with such purpose that I want to experience it that way.

• Locked thread