Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been enjoying Astro City but I've come to the end of the trades I bought with Local Heroes.

The next few--the Dark Age Book 1 and Book 2--both seem to be ~$40+.

Is there some reliably better way to get the trades for a reasonable price or should I just buy the floppies? I don't tend to like doing that, but I don't think it's justified spending way more for the trade if it's at a premium for some reason and I just want to read the stories. And this is under the assumption that I can get the 16 issues for less than ~$80, which seems reasonable to me.

And I know it's an anthology so I don't REALLY need to read them in order, but the world-building is done with such purpose that I want to experience it that way.

I suppose digital is out of the question.
Maybe they'll start reprinting or doing jumbo omnibuses when the new OGNs start coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Teenage Fansub posted:

The power cosmic has been retconned to appear as a tribute to this lady's fashion sense.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-silver-surfer-just-told-one-of-the-best-love-stories-in-comics

That actually looks like a fun read--though doesn't Slott have a bad reputation around these parts? I feel the Allred art would more than make up for it.

But wait! Why does Marvel Unlimited only have issues #4 to #13?? What the gently caress?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
despite whatever else hes put out slotts silver surfer is amazing

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's all around wonderful. A couple dunderheads here keep mentioning Dr Who. Ignore that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
slott can actually write an emotional arc when he feels like it apparently

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been enjoying Astro City but I've come to the end of the trades I bought with Local Heroes.

The next few--the Dark Age Book 1 and Book 2--both seem to be ~$40+.

Is there some reliably better way to get the trades for a reasonable price or should I just buy the floppies? I don't tend to like doing that, but I don't think it's justified spending way more for the trade if it's at a premium for some reason and I just want to read the stories. And this is under the assumption that I can get the 16 issues for less than ~$80, which seems reasonable to me.

And I know it's an anthology so I don't REALLY need to read them in order, but the world-building is done with such purpose that I want to experience it that way.

If you're ok Digital you can get both for $30 total at comixology right now. Beyond that Amazon and Ebay are about all you can do.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

A Strange Aeon posted:

That actually looks like a fun read--though doesn't Slott have a bad reputation around these parts? I feel the Allred art would more than make up for it.

But wait! Why does Marvel Unlimited only have issues #4 to #13?? What the gently caress?

The trades probably still sell well. An omnibus edition would be a real treat. Slott brings his A game for Allred.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've put off Slott's Silver Surfer because I don't like his Spider-Man but finally jumped into it tonight based on the last few posts. Loving it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Open Marriage Night posted:

The trades probably still sell well. An omnibus edition would be a real treat. Slott brings his A game for Allred.

This is why I never bit the bullet for Marvel Unlimited before and should probably just cancel my service. It's like--if I can't just read a series I hear about from a decade ago, why the hell am I paying them $10 a month?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is why I never bit the bullet for Marvel Unlimited before and should probably just cancel my service. It's like--if I can't just read a series I hear about from a decade ago, why the hell am I paying them $10 a month?

What are you talking about? I just checked. Dan slott Silver Surfer is available on Marvel Unlimited. It's Silver Surfer 2014 to 2015 and Silver Surfer 2016 to 2017.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Covok posted:

What are you talking about? I just checked. Dan slott Silver Surfer is available on Marvel Unlimited. It's Silver Surfer 2014 to 2015 and Silver Surfer 2016 to 2017.

If you search by character do they not show you the entire series available? I searched by Silver Surfer and only #4 to #13 come up. I definitely retract my statement then--just confusing why searching by character wouldn't show everything in that run.

But I see what you're seeing now and I'm happy--I'd just added the 5 trades to my Amazon cart but now I can remove them!

edit--this IS really good. I might buy the trades anyway because I think my wife would enjoy it.

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 26, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/indiastroker/status/978083975498485760

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's literally Death on the right, but gloomy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

That's literally Death on the right, but gloomy.

Death had better eye makeup game.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

more like

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/warnerjp/status/978194854596497408

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What are some good runs of detective comics to read? I've already read City of Crime and I'm most of the way through Dinis run now

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What are some good runs of detective comics to read? I've already read City of Crime and I'm most of the way through Dinis run now

I assume you've read Rucka's Batwoman run and Scott Snyder's run?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assume you've read Rucka's Batwoman run and Scott Snyder's run?

No and yes in that order, what else

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No and yes in that order, what else

I liked Snyder's Dickbats.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Definitely get on Batwoman.
The current series is good too, and just about to wrap up James Tynion's run.

edit: Rucka's Detective Comics Batwoman, that is. The following series was good too (for a while) but start there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 27, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

I liked Snyder's Dickbats.

That's Black Mirror baka

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Teenage Fansub posted:

Definitely get on Batwoman.
The current series is good too, and just about to wrap up James Tynion's run.

Yeah I've been reading it and I'm pleasantly surprised that I enjoy it considering my previous disdain for him as a writer

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That's Black Mirror baka

I know that, but Dickbats is funnier to say and doesn't risk people confusing it with the british sci-fi anthology tv series.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

I know that, but Dickbats is funnier to say and doesn't risk people confusing it with the british sci-fi anthology tv series.

The one true Dick bats book is Batman and Robin anyway

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The rollback on Dickbats is by far my least favorite thing about New 52. I'd say it was getting rid of Superman's trunks but they've finally realized how terrible that was and are moving back to the one true faith.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

The rollback on Dickbats is by far my least favorite thing about New 52.

Batman Inc in general was a really good concept and I wish it'd gotten more time for other writers to play around with.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat! any good? It seems like a title that could go either way.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat! any good? It seems like a title that could go either way.

I read the first issue and really didn't care for it. It made Patsy an aimless faildaughter who uses the Avengers emergency line to trick the other female superheroes into coming to brunch

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
leth's patsy owns

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah it was a lot of fun.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

These next four days of stickiness are gonna be fuckin' sweet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
whats going on for the next four days

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

March

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh i just noticed the thread finally got stickied i wasnt sure what fansub meant lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

SA fire sale with the forums closing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

All shitposts are half off

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

These next four days of stickiness are gonna be fuckin' sweet.

We should just keep posting in this thread well into April to make up for lost sticky time

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I read the first issue and really didn't care for it. It made Patsy an aimless faildaughter who uses the Avengers emergency line to trick the other female superheroes into coming to brunch

Don't listen to the person who keeps posting sports anime.

Patsy Walker is one of the most fun books Marvel was putting out at the time. If you like good natured humor, heartwarming stories, and vampire Jubilee, read this book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Patsy Walker Hell Cat is great, it had unfortunate/fortunate timing because it came out right around when Jessica Jones season 1 came out and the Patsy Walker character in the comic (and actually all comics she's ever been in) has almost nothing to do with the Patsy Walker in the tv show.

• Locked thread