Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
One thing that I've been thinking about lately is why don't Marvel and DC have a bit more fun with the political landscapes of their universes? I mean DC has a C-list hero that is basically Uncle Sam, why not make him president or in Marvel the original Human Torch. I'm literally killed Hitler is a pretty great boast when it comes to the campaign trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cause DC Decisions still haunts anyone who lived through it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
marvel why wont you keep the liberal sjw politics like having a guy who killed a nazi be president out of my comics

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I decided it was high time I finally read The Monster Society of Evil since it's the first comic book epic. There's good stuff in there, Captain Marvel really was heads above most golden age books, but drat there's a triple helping of golden age racism in it:

Also, I bet kids loved the reveal of who Mr. Mind was even if I don't get that bit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

True Story: Secret Empire was originally going to be called "Second 9/11".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Random Stranger posted:

I decided it was high time I finally read The Monster Society of Evil since it's the first comic book epic. There's good stuff in there, Captain Marvel really was heads above most golden age books, but drat there's a triple helping of golden age racism in it:

Also, I bet kids loved the reveal of who Mr. Mind was even if I don't get that bit.
At least they're not doing the L-for-R bit with his dialogue. You have to set the bar really low for wartime racism.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there a thread about IDW books

I want to talk about pre Revoltuon GI Joe

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's no Licensed Comics thread any more, so it'd be the Indie thread or maybe Transformers cause of the crossover.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's no Licensed Comics thread any more, so it'd be the Indie thread or maybe Transformers cause of the crossover.

Yeah but the crossover is stupid and not worth talking about

In general Revolution is one of the dumbest ideas I've seen

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can always make a new licensed comics thread.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Endless Mike posted:

Question of the month: What was your first comic book?
Edge & Christian loves my answer to this question (I'm pretty sure I've posted about it once or twice in previous threads here also), because outside of British and European comics which I read when I was young, my first comic was Uncanny X-Men #388, the first part of the Dream's End storyline which was more or less published to tie into the first Singer X-Men movie. I watched the 90's X-Men animated series as a teenager, so I was somewhat of an X-Men fan from that. I'd never sought out any comic books though until after seeing that first Singer film.

Unfortunately it was a crossover which continued in an issue of Cable's ongoing series, and not really knowing anything about comic book publishing schedules at the time, I never found it to continue the story.

The book itself, while not entirely impenetrable to someone who was familiar with the characters from the animated series/film, wasn't terribly good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

Unfortunately it was a crossover which continued in an issue of Cable's ongoing series, and not really knowing anything about comic book publishing schedules at the time, I never found it to continue the story.

See, that's one thing I liked about the Panini Collector's Editions: when there was a crossover (granted, pre-Civil War crossovers where they weren't about 80 issues altogether), they'd reprint every tie-in issue of it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't think I discovered those Panini reprints until a good while later.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

One where Superman fight a scientist who transforms into a hulk-like version of herself, but with a mohawk.

Also:
https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/970671487601594368

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

You can always make a new licensed comics thread.

Way too much effort just to talk about ninjas

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There's also, you know, the chat thread. This one. Tell us about ninjas.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ninjas, are cool

But for real the Costa parts of GI Joe are super solid espionage slash political thrillers, I can't recommend them enough, particularly the first two Cobra series. The main book under Dixon is okay, a good enough action story, but Costa and Gage do a fantastic job with the shifting loyalties and power struggles inside Cobra

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Endless Mike posted:

It was some 90s X-Men book out of a magazine stand. I think it was in the bone claws Wolverine era along with Dark Beast and Bishop in the team. I thought it was okay.

What really got me into comics was the Ben Reilly Sensational Spider-Man period that was split between four ongoings with a reading order that was a headache for a kid. But eventually the newsstands stopped carrying comics so I never got to read the end of it. Then my classmate spoiled me on how Ben was the clone all along and died.

I have the entire run (if it could be called that) on digital omnibus but I haven't peeked into it yet.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 6, 2018

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I know obligatory pound-of-salt due to Bleeding Cool, but some of this poo poo regarding Stan Lee is kind of disturbing.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/05/j-scott-campbell-stan-lee/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/02/comics-industry-concern-stan-lee-situation/

It sounds like Lee's long-time aide has been pushed out and no one really knows who is tending to Lee, who is 95 and apparently has pneumonia.

Considering that a few weeks ago it was announced that he lost nearly $2 million in some scam, it sounds like elder-financial abuse and it sucks that it seems to be happening to Lee.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Some old issue of the Hulk that I found in my parent's cabin where Grey skinned Hulk fights the Absorbing man.

There were other comics there but I didn't know how to read at the time. This comic was great for that since 90 percent of it was just the two of them beating the poo poo out of each other.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

I know obligatory pound-of-salt due to Bleeding Cool, but some of this poo poo regarding Stan Lee is kind of disturbing.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/05/j-scott-campbell-stan-lee/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/02/comics-industry-concern-stan-lee-situation/

It sounds like Lee's long-time aide has been pushed out and no one really knows who is tending to Lee, who is 95 and apparently has pneumonia.

Considering that a few weeks ago it was announced that he lost nearly $2 million in some scam, it sounds like elder-financial abuse and it sucks that it seems to be happening to Lee.

That's hosed up. He and Max seemed to have a really good rapport, so I can't imagine people cutting them off would be good for anyone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

That's hosed up. He and Max seemed to have a really good rapport, so I can't imagine people cutting them off would be good for anyone.

Is it possible Max was the one scamming him?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Is it possible Max was the one scamming him?
It's entirely possible and the Daily Mail story BC links to mentions he's a convicted felon, but it's also clear it was due to violence, not white collar crimes.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

In the early '80s, when I was first learning to read, my dad used to bring me home boxes full of comics from used bookstores he would frequent, constantly trading in Mack Bolan and Phoenix Force novels and gun magazines for them. Most of them were Richie Rich at first, along with pocket-sized collections of Peanuts comic strips checked out from the public library.

My first "real" comic was Transformers #5 with the classic "The Transformers ARE ALL DEAD" cover with Shockwave on it. Purchased from a spinner rack at a Miami newsstand called The Front Page, which has been closed for over 30 years.

Yeah, that Transformers with the best cover ever and an Iron Man with (I think) Rhodes acting as Iron Man that I got the same day are the first I really remember being "mine." But I had a sister who was way into comics and those came out was when I was like 9, so I surely had more before then.

I definitely had the comics you got at school with toothbrushes when they taught you about dental hygiene, and the Radio Shack ones where kids saved the world by programming stuff on their trash-80s. And of course I also had the one where Spider-Man recounts being molested by his babysitter. I'm not sure I'd count such freebies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It's entirely possible and the Daily Mail story BC links to mentions he's a convicted felon, but it's also clear it was due to violence, not white collar crimes.

Whatever's going on, I really hope Stan comes out of it ok. I know he's old and probably hasn't got much time left, but the least one can hope for is that our last moments are good ones.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I finally watched the Black Panther movie, now I can catch up with the BSS Movie Thr-

oh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

I finally watched the Black Panther movie, now I can catch up with the BSS Movie Thr-

oh

The BSS comic movie thread exists to make the CineD look good by comparison.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

The BSS comic movie thread exists to make the CineD look good by comparison.

It fails miserably at that, then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

It fails miserably at that, then.

They are both terrible for different reasons.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like the movie thread when people aren't just arguing with people from Cine D about Zack Snyder

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

My first comic book at like 10 years old was either this,

Or this.

Both of them were loving metal and full of explosions and murder and I believe I read them far, far too young...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why isn't this stickied yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The boss doesn't seem to be around much.

ANARCHY IN BSS!!!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The first comic I remember getting with my own money was some Carnage mini where they flashed back to him killing his grandmother, and I loved my grandmother, so I started hating Carnage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The boss doesn't seem to be around much.

ANARCHY IN BSS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6eymAQ_02Q

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Reading this Alan Moore biography and they mention DC'S Piranha Press imprint "which from 1987 to 1994 produced eclectic, creator-led graphic novels with titles like Epicurus the Sage, Gregory and The Elvis Mandible".

I've never heard of any of those or this imprint, are the three above any good or did anything else of note come out of it?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

A Strange Aeon posted:

Reading this Alan Moore biography and they mention DC'S Piranha Press imprint "which from 1987 to 1994 produced eclectic, creator-led graphic novels with titles like Epicurus the Sage, Gregory and The Elvis Mandible".

I've never heard of any of those or this imprint, are the three above any good or did anything else of note come out of it?

Epicurus the Sage is a William Messner-Loeb/Sam Keith thing so at the very least it looks very fetching. I read it like a decade ago so I can't vouch for it too specifically but I recall liking well enough. Ditto The Elvis Mandible, which I would love to read again just to see if it's as interesting as I remember it being.

Probably the Piranha Press books with the most persistent visibility would be Why I Hate Saturn and I believe the first bit of Stuck Rubber Baby.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love all of Kyle Baker's earlier works: Why I Hate Saturn, The Cowboy Wally Show, You Are Here, I Die at Midnight. Those four are fantastic. They were all kept in print by Vertigo for many years after Piranha Press shut down. I think he got the rights back and may self-publish newer editions now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've read Epicurus and Gregory. Epicurus is pretty fun. Not really deep, but fun.

Gregory is definitely an indie book from the late 80's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Someone asked about what comics did we first purchase or read. I don't really know what was the comic I first bought, but I read the hell out of my brother's random Archie and Batman books (with no covers of course), my dad's old Mad Magazines, and some old Beanie comic. Some comics though particularly stand out for me, like the X-Men comic where Jean Grey gets tenticals for arms (that scared the hell out of me), or Superman hearing a flute and growing horns so he dressed up like Batman for a time, or Batman vs Bruce Wayne who was having a weird dream.

• Locked thread