Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My parents would get me trades, especially before a long flight, just whatever was at the airport bookstore. I remember getting The Return of Superman (the books after his funeral up through him coming back with a mullet) and a collection of Spider-Man's early fights with Hobgoblin before his identity was revealed and then retconned a bunch.

First floppy was probably Captain America fights the Asthma Monster that I got for free at Asthma camp (just like regular camp, except in addition to a counselor every cabin had an RN and our name tags had a list of allergies on the back).

First floppy I chose for myself was two issues of Spider-Man off an airport rack, it was a two parter with cool covers. He fights Scorpion in a sewer, first cover is Scorpion standing triumphant over Spidey, second is the opposite. Also features a "mystery figure" in the b story that turns out to be none other than Ben Reilly.

I read most of the clone saga from the very beginning, and because it was the comic boom and I was a kid who couldn't be trusted to not damage the comics my dad bought 2 of most every issue, 1 for me to read and one to sell at a later date to finance college. If he'd put that money in an IRA he could probably have retired by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's interesting so many of you remember your first specific issue. Comics were just around so much growing up, it's hard to pinpoint the very first.

I think most of us are talking about first comics that we remember pointing to in a store and either buying with our allowance, or our parents buying for us, stuff where we know we said "I want that," instead of reading whatever happened to be around the house and appealing to a pre-pubescent child. First comics I ever read I have no idea because I was reading comic strips in the newspaper since before I could actually read them, I would make my parents tell me what the word bubbles said.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I finally watched the Black Panther movie, now I can catch up with the BSS Movie Thr-

oh

The BSS comic movie thread exists to make the CineD look good by comparison.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It fails miserably at that, then.

They are both terrible for different reasons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/theshrillest/status/971979121101193216

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/8/17097726/netflix-rob-liefeld-extreme-universe-comics-akiva-goldsman-movies-adapations

quote:

The deal gives Netflix movie rights to six of Liefeld’s titles: Brigade, Bloodstrike, Cybrid, Re-Gex, Bloodwulf, and Kaboom.

There's some actually famous books from there, what about...?

quote:

Netflix will draw on that franchise for its movies, although some of the other more popular Extreme books, including Youngblood, Supreme, Glory, and Prophet aren’t mentioned as being part of Netflix’s buy, making it unclear if the streaming service will be able to adapt those characters as well.

oh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I browsed a little to see these cheap digital comics on Amazon but wasn't having much luck--does someone have a link to just the ones that are on sale?

Also, if I have Marvel Unlimited, am I just getting perpetual access to something and the ability to read on my Kindle, or are there some books for sale that aren't on MU? I would imagine any digital comic would also be on MU, but not exactly sure how it works.

Aside from Marvel MAX, pretty much anything that's been digitized to sell online will almost certainly be on Marvel Unlimited, there are some missing back issues but they add old stuff every week

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TIL Bill Sienkiewicz has a pronunciation guide to his name as his twitter handle, it's @sinKEVitch in case you were wondering.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also, there's prose Squirrel Girl books for a pre-teen audience, which would be awesome, except the retcon Monkey Joe out of existence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hup posted:

Someone post about Man of Steel and find out

It's actually a really good movie and furthermore...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm re reading all of Ewing's Avengers, and I love how they think Superior Spider-Man became such a huge dick because he started reading Ayn Rand instead of being mind controlled by a super villain who once tried to kill most of the world.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jedi posted:

Hope's mother is also named Hope. Not the same person, just the same name.

It's sorta weird we don't have a naming convention for a daughter named after her mother like we have with boys named after their father. The Will and Jada Pinkett Smith makes more sense, where you give the girl a name similar to the father's and the boy a similar name to the mother's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Where's my pro wrestling superhero universe.

Isn't that Jojo?

Although between the prominence of Luchador pop culture and talented artists in Mexico and South America, I'm surprised there isn't a bunch of Luchador comics.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD88HIKoFzk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Total tangent, but I'm making a Marvel Heroic Roleplaying event for my players. The premise is Galactus makes a bunch of Earth villains his heralds randomly by shooting down the Power Cosmic from the sky, they are let to roam around at first starting fires while the heroes wonder where Galactus is and try to put out the fires, then he pops out through Reed's portal to the Negative Zone because he was traveling through there, surprise attacks New York with his main heralds and his new ones and attacks key places in the world, then Doom betrays Galactus as a herald and merges with him into Doomlactus, and then the heroes have to stop Doomlactus -- who promised not to eat Earth -- from eating the rest of the universe.

I can get Doomlactus from the lastest issues of Marvel Two-In-One, but anyone have any good fanart of villains like Magneto and Kingpin and Venom with the power cosmic? Thinking of at least having these villains:
  • Magneto
  • Kingpin
  • Doctor Doom
  • Mysterio
  • Arcade
  • Red Skull
Don't need it, but it might enhance the experience to show the players fanart.

Doctor Doom literally had the power cosmic at one point it's in the Lee/Kirby run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samuringa posted:

That's literally Death on the right, but gloomy.

Death had better eye makeup game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No and yes in that order, what else

I liked Snyder's Dickbats.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That's Black Mirror baka

I know that, but Dickbats is funnier to say and doesn't risk people confusing it with the british sci-fi anthology tv series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The rollback on Dickbats is by far my least favorite thing about New 52. I'd say it was getting rid of Superman's trunks but they've finally realized how terrible that was and are moving back to the one true faith.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Patsy Walker Hell Cat is great, it had unfortunate/fortunate timing because it came out right around when Jessica Jones season 1 came out and the Patsy Walker character in the comic (and actually all comics she's ever been in) has almost nothing to do with the Patsy Walker in the tv show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Like a decade ago I really liked using half.com especially since I would flip trades for like 80% of what I paid to buy more trades. No idea what it's like now, but you'd run into the same issues with not being able to combine shipping when buying multiple books from the same vendor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/rickeypurdin/status/978801337130520576

Aside from Triumph and Torment did Mignola do any other Marvel work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

So I got kind of curious and decided to see how many pages Jack Kirby actually penciled a month. And because it's a good of month as any, I went with November 1961 (which is really around August 1961 given production schedules and newsstand distribution). Now take a guess to how many pages, including covers, the King did that month?

It's higher. I know you're going, "But I said-" Well, it's still higher. Guess again.

Higher than that.
Yes, we are going there.

A bit more than that even.

Jack Kirby penciled _119_ pages the month he did Fantastic Four #1! There weren't even any reprints of his stories, all new material. Now I know you're saying, "Ah, but a lot of the books were bimonthly at that point. So Kirby might not have had any pages next month." Well, you're right so I checked and it turned out that he did pencil less pages the following month. Kirby only penciled _70__ pages in December.

There's a reason his nickname is King

• Locked thread