Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

site posted:

I think my first comic book was The Mask #0. After the Jim Carrey movie I wanted more mask so I got my parents to bring me to the LCS and get it for me. For those who haven't read the mask comics it's uh... not for children lol

I also had this situation.

TMNT (Eastman and Laird) #19 (Return to New York, pt.2), bought the day after seeing the movie. I was 6 and there were some scary and violent images in that ish.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I remember starting to pay attention to continuing storylines and continuity in general for the first time with Amazing Spider-Man's "Gang War." I got #286-288 because Daredevil and Falcon showed up, and I knew who they were from the Mattel Secret Wars action figures, and then #289, that amazing Hobgoblin reveal. These were almost all from the newsstand, which you and I were probably visiting around the same time. That's also where I also found the surprisingly violent Spider-Man vs. Wolverine one-shot (another familiar face from the Secret Wars figures!), and I was absolutely shocked that Amazing #289 followed plot threads set up in Spidey vs. Wolverine.

But starting in 1986, I also obsessively read and collected DC Who's Who and Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Deluxe Edition, so as a second-grader, I was becoming a real expert on characters and storylines that I had never read or even encountered in comics before. Those really cemented my lifelong fandom, along with Marvel Saga, which reprinted key panels and had text synopses of Silver Age Lee/Kirby/Ditko Marvel stories, attempting to tie them into a larger framework (kinda like what Ed Piskor is doing now with X-Men: Grand Design). And at the same time, Wolfman and Perez released the two-volume History of the DC Universe, which blew my little mind. It would be several more years before I'd get to read Crisis on Infinite Earths, but Who's Who and History of the DCU helped fill in a lot of the blanks for me.

Man, I think I started reading comics at the absolute perfect time. Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League launched in 1987, and it shaped my young sense of humor and changed my entire life.

Plus whenever you find something funny, you now go "BWAHAHA"

• Locked thread