Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I can't remember all the random ones my brother and I had to recall the very first, though I think I still have most of them in a long box. But a few distinctive early memories:

1. As a kid, they were reprinting the EC comics in pretty affordable annuals which compiled 5 issues or so. I loved them so much, all the horror and sci fi and crime. Later on I got into the war ones as well and of course early Mad. I still own reprints of all major EC books and even some of the pre trend crime ones.

2. A birthday in 2nd grade and my parents got me a basket with candy and the 6 issues of Spider-Man and the Return of the Sinister Six.

3. Late high school picking up the first Sandman trade kind of randomly in a comic shop on vacation and reading it in the car on the way home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's interesting so many of you remember your first specific issue. Comics were just around so much growing up, it's hard to pinpoint the very first.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Reading this Alan Moore biography and they mention DC'S Piranha Press imprint "which from 1987 to 1994 produced eclectic, creator-led graphic novels with titles like Epicurus the Sage, Gregory and The Elvis Mandible".

I've never heard of any of those or this imprint, are the three above any good or did anything else of note come out of it?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Anything else really good? I have a few from when they did that promotion where if you bought real comics they let you get some free digital trades, so I already got Vision through that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I browsed a little to see these cheap digital comics on Amazon but wasn't having much luck--does someone have a link to just the ones that are on sale?

Also, if I have Marvel Unlimited, am I just getting perpetual access to something and the ability to read on my Kindle, or are there some books for sale that aren't on MU? I would imagine any digital comic would also be on MU, but not exactly sure how it works.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Did I just read an issue of Astro City where the ending is a 29 year old hero named Roustabout making out with a 17 year old on the sly?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Posasibly? I was never all that sure about their relative ages.

The narrator mentions her older cousin is 17 and there's a website where she looks up the Roustabout and it mentions his age.

The art's not 100 percent that the woman he's making out with is the cousin but I don't know who else she would be, hanging out at the family barn at night.

It's just weird to me that it's presented as this totally fine thing when it seems a bit predatory.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've never met anyone who was really into Bongo comics, but they actually are pretty solid. I read a cool mini series centered on various years of Radioactive Man's career and they played a lot of jokes with comic history, like the 90s issue having him get tripped up in a ridiculous Spawnesque cape.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like the thought experiment of what other settings the entire universe could be in while maintaining the characters and their relationships. Sports would definitely work, with the Olympics and big tournaments acting as crossover events.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Covok posted:

Police Procedural, where everyone works in different levels of the police department. Like Batman works in homocide and Superman working in Public Affairs and Outreach.

Top 10 already exists though and there's no way we'd get something better than that!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been enjoying Astro City but I've come to the end of the trades I bought with Local Heroes.

The next few--the Dark Age Book 1 and Book 2--both seem to be ~$40+.

Is there some reliably better way to get the trades for a reasonable price or should I just buy the floppies? I don't tend to like doing that, but I don't think it's justified spending way more for the trade if it's at a premium for some reason and I just want to read the stories. And this is under the assumption that I can get the 16 issues for less than ~$80, which seems reasonable to me.

And I know it's an anthology so I don't REALLY need to read them in order, but the world-building is done with such purpose that I want to experience it that way.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Teenage Fansub posted:

The power cosmic has been retconned to appear as a tribute to this lady's fashion sense.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-silver-surfer-just-told-one-of-the-best-love-stories-in-comics

That actually looks like a fun read--though doesn't Slott have a bad reputation around these parts? I feel the Allred art would more than make up for it.

But wait! Why does Marvel Unlimited only have issues #4 to #13?? What the gently caress?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Open Marriage Night posted:

The trades probably still sell well. An omnibus edition would be a real treat. Slott brings his A game for Allred.

This is why I never bit the bullet for Marvel Unlimited before and should probably just cancel my service. It's like--if I can't just read a series I hear about from a decade ago, why the hell am I paying them $10 a month?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Covok posted:

What are you talking about? I just checked. Dan slott Silver Surfer is available on Marvel Unlimited. It's Silver Surfer 2014 to 2015 and Silver Surfer 2016 to 2017.

If you search by character do they not show you the entire series available? I searched by Silver Surfer and only #4 to #13 come up. I definitely retract my statement then--just confusing why searching by character wouldn't show everything in that run.

But I see what you're seeing now and I'm happy--I'd just added the 5 trades to my Amazon cart but now I can remove them!

edit--this IS really good. I might buy the trades anyway because I think my wife would enjoy it.

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 26, 2018

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat! any good? It seems like a title that could go either way.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How come there weren't any Aeon Flux comics? It seems like an intriguing world and setting that more could have been done with than the handful of episodes and the not great movie.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Where does everyone order their trades from?

I like trolling the used section of my local comic store or Half-Price Books in person, but online is different.

Buying online from places that don't combine shipping is annoying--like there's a seller on Amazon who has the first 4 Silver Surfer trades we were talking about earlier for less than $6 a piece, but shipping on each one is $4. I emailed the vendor asking if they could combine shipping and they said they couldn't, as per Amazon's policy--but I'm not going to spend $16 on shipping when they're all coming from and going to the same place. I know there's some Amazon voodoo poo poo going on where vendors have to charge more shipping just to pay for the listing fees or something, and even if I add $4 to the price, it still comes out under $10 on some of them, it's just the principle of the thing I guess.

So is there a good site that has a shifting stock of used or discount trades and does free or combined shipping?

I like looking at https://www.hamiltonbook.com/products/search?q=&cat_id=GN every now and then--they offer some good discounts on stuff and the stock changes enough that I usually find a few new things to add to my wishlist. And they have reasonable shipping.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pass this everyday on the way to work, never thought to post it, though! It looks a bit more faded now, but it's still pretty awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How come I never read All-Star Superman until just now? I saw the two volumes on the used shelf at my comic book store and they were having a 40% off sale.

I finished the first volume last night, it was really interesting. And somehow I must have read the Gospel of Lex before because it was familiar but nothing else was but I have no idea how I would have managed that without reading the other issues.

Anyway, don't be like me, if you haven't read it, you should, even if you're lukewarm on Morrison.

• Locked thread