Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In the early '80s, when I was first learning to read, my dad used to bring me home boxes full of comics from used bookstores he would frequent, constantly trading in Mack Bolan and Phoenix Force novels and gun magazines for them. Most of them were Richie Rich at first, along with pocket-sized collections of Peanuts comic strips checked out from the public library.

My first "real" comic was Transformers #5 with the classic "The Transformers ARE ALL DEAD" cover with Shockwave on it. Purchased from a spinner rack at a Miami newsstand called The Front Page, which has been closed for over 30 years.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

nrichprime posted:

Holy poo poo are you me?

I also remember getting Amazing Spider-man #280 and Power Pack #26.

The issue I consider that I bought that I consider my start of collecting comics was Transformers #50. After buying that issue I actively looked for new issues to be released and started picking up back issues.

I remember starting to pay attention to continuing storylines and continuity in general for the first time with Amazing Spider-Man's "Gang War." I got #286-288 because Daredevil and Falcon showed up, and I knew who they were from the Mattel Secret Wars action figures, and then #289, that amazing Hobgoblin reveal. These were almost all from the newsstand, which you and I were probably visiting around the same time. That's also where I also found the surprisingly violent Spider-Man vs. Wolverine one-shot (another familiar face from the Secret Wars figures!), and I was absolutely shocked that Amazing #289 followed plot threads set up in Spidey vs. Wolverine.

But starting in 1986, I also obsessively read and collected DC Who's Who and Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Deluxe Edition, so as a second-grader, I was becoming a real expert on characters and storylines that I had never read or even encountered in comics before. Those really cemented my lifelong fandom, along with Marvel Saga, which reprinted key panels and had text synopses of Silver Age Lee/Kirby/Ditko Marvel stories, attempting to tie them into a larger framework (kinda like what Ed Piskor is doing now with X-Men: Grand Design). And at the same time, Wolfman and Perez released the two-volume History of the DC Universe, which blew my little mind. It would be several more years before I'd get to read Crisis on Infinite Earths, but Who's Who and History of the DCU helped fill in a lot of the blanks for me.

Man, I think I started reading comics at the absolute perfect time. Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League launched in 1987, and it shaped my young sense of humor and changed my entire life.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 4, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love all of Kyle Baker's earlier works: Why I Hate Saturn, The Cowboy Wally Show, You Are Here, I Die at Midnight. Those four are fantastic. They were all kept in print by Vertigo for many years after Piranha Press shut down. I think he got the rights back and may self-publish newer editions now.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Covok posted:

That sounds like Mick Foley basically gave ideas then the writer did the real work. That's not to poo poo on Mick Foley, but that's how I think every celeb co-lab is if they ain't the main writer. Except for CM Punk who I think actually did legit-ly write some books like Draxx and something with Kung Fu.

Yeah, Raven co-wrote an issue of Spider-Man's Tangled Web (#14, about the wrestler from Spider-Man's first appearance) with Brian Azzarello.

• Locked thread