Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My cousin had a battered copy of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #95, part III I think of a little arc with Black Cat, Silvermane, Cloak & Dagger, and D-List bad guy The Answer. That came out in 1984, well before I was born, so he must have been holding onto it for awhile. The cover was missing, the pages were ratty, but for some reason he'd brought this mediocre Al Milgrom issue, divorced from the rest of its plot-line, along on vacation with him and left it behind for me to pore over at excruciating length. For the longest time I assumed that The Answer was a Spider-Man villain on par with Venom and Carnage, and kept being convinced he would eventually show up on the Fox cartoon.

Edit: I just dug it out and reread it and got the most intense deja vu. I couldn't read yet when it landed at our house, so I'd have my mom read it to me, probably dozens of times. There's one page that's a montage of Spidey supporting characters moping and spouting anxious and woeful thought balloons about their problems, and then JJJ crowing about his good luck, with a little caption that says basically "Well, we can't all be miserable." My mom had a lot of hurdles in her life and was and is an extraordinarily serious person, so itwas pretty rare to see her break out into out and out laughter, but that page always cracked her up. I hit that tiny panel of JJJ's beaming mug and felt just like I was a kid again.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

A Strange Aeon posted:

Reading this Alan Moore biography and they mention DC'S Piranha Press imprint "which from 1987 to 1994 produced eclectic, creator-led graphic novels with titles like Epicurus the Sage, Gregory and The Elvis Mandible".

I've never heard of any of those or this imprint, are the three above any good or did anything else of note come out of it?

Epicurus the Sage is a William Messner-Loeb/Sam Keith thing so at the very least it looks very fetching. I read it like a decade ago so I can't vouch for it too specifically but I recall liking well enough. Ditto The Elvis Mandible, which I would love to read again just to see if it's as interesting as I remember it being.

Probably the Piranha Press books with the most persistent visibility would be Why I Hate Saturn and I believe the first bit of Stuck Rubber Baby.

• Locked thread