Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unmature
May 9, 2008

Caganer posted:

which bomb specifically? I still think Gus Gus Did Nothing Wrong

The Ridley Scott thing. I think it explains a lot of his behavior, mostly the keeping things inside and trying not to rock the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Unmature posted:

The Ridley Scott thing. I think it explains a lot of his behavior, mostly the keeping things inside and trying not to rock the boat.

Ah yeah. Might also explain why people like moustache Guy (forget his name - the senior PA) are so curt

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I always liked this dumb show where unrepetantly terrible people punch themselves in the dick repeatedly (and also Bertie is there) but I was pretty pleasantly surprised that they actually pulled off a good ending where everybody redeemed themselves and doesn't get punched in the dick :3:

Except Randy. gently caress you garbage man

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I don’t hate Randy. It’s not his fault Bertie lacks a spine and would rather bang his friend

She had my sympathy up until she cheated but waited to end it. If you cheat, immediately break up, you’re not lovely and just made a mistake. If you keep cheating you’re poo poo.

Randy was useless but at least he was good intentioned

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's a pervasive dopey-ness to Gus' friends that I hate. Like Bertie is very positive, but she's played very well and you can tell she's often trying hard to stay positive as a conscious choice.

All of Gus' friends are just skin deep though. They're all relentlessly positive because they're just grinning rubes fundamentally.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

There's a pervasive dopey-ness to Gus' friends that I hate. Like Bertie is very positive, but she's played very well and you can tell she's often trying hard to stay positive as a conscious choice.

All of Gus' friends are just skin deep though. They're all relentlessly positive because they're just grinning rubes fundamentally.

Kevin seems to be a fully formed person - I like that the hookup from the S2 party apparently became his girlfriend :3: And the two old apartment guys get deeper as the show goes on especially when you find out they're both divorced multiple times

His other friends kind of seem to come out of nowhere - like the white wheezer looking guy from the movie they shot and the female lead.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I want to bake Bertie a birthday cake and it won't be very pretty but she'll be nice to me and say it's perfect anyways :kimchi:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

Randy was also emotionally abusive, even if he had good intentions. Cheating is real bad, but how he acted toward her for...most of the show was also not OK either.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

GobiasIndustries posted:

Randy was also emotionally abusive, even if he had good intentions. Cheating is real bad, but how he acted toward her for...most of the show was also not OK either.

Was he? IIRC aside from awkward smooshing talk in S2 he was just... useless. Telling your gf you love her and don’t want to dump you isn’t abusive imho. I’m not saying he’s a good bf just that I’m not comfortable labeling him an abuser

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

Was he? IIRC aside from awkward smooshing talk in S2 he was just... useless. Telling your gf you love her and don’t want to dump you isn’t abusive imho. I’m not saying he’s a good bf just that I’m not comfortable labeling him an abuser

When I say emotional abuse that doesn't necessarily mean screaming matches and whatnot. It also doesn't mean he's intentional in his actions, it can be very subtle. I'll have to rewatch season 2 for specifics but in general I remember a lot of instances of him making her to feel like she has to keep dating him.

This is also why I enjoy the show, there do a great job w/ characterization and actual human behavior.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

GobiasIndustries posted:

When I say emotional abuse that doesn't necessarily mean screaming matches and whatnot. It also doesn't mean he's intentional in his actions, it can be very subtle. I'll have to rewatch season 2 for specifics but in general I remember a lot of instances of him making her to feel like she has to keep dating him.

This is also why I enjoy the show, there do a great job w/ characterization and actual human behavior.

Ah. Maybe he’s manipulative? I think he’s not smart enough though

I don’t want to derail but I have a hang up about abusing the word abuse, because I feel it devalues the experiences of people who’ve had actual abuse.

For example I had an ex who cut herself and threatened suicide if I didn’t take her back. To lump that in with “Bertie I’ll be good I love you” doesn’t feel right :/

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Caganer posted:

I don’t hate Randy. It’s not his fault Bertie lacks a spine and would rather bang his friend

She had my sympathy up until she cheated but waited to end it. If you cheat, immediately break up, you’re not lovely and just made a mistake. If you keep cheating you’re poo poo.

It... kind of was his fault, though??? a bloo bloo bloo, my girlfriend that I parasitically latched onto because she was too nice to break up with me when she really should, didn't break up with me even when she really should have !!! woe is me who could have foreseen this cruel fate

To be sure, Bertie definitely owns a lot of the blame; she's a total doormat and the toxicity of that is one of the show's central theses. But Randy is hardly innocent in the way he relentlessly takes advantage of her nature and in the end he really is the architect of his own misfortunes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

Ah. Maybe he’s manipulative? I think he’s not smart enough though

I don’t want to derail but I have a hang up about abusing the word abuse, because I feel it devalues the experiences of people who’ve had actual abuse.

For example I had an ex who cut herself and threatened suicide if I didn’t take her back. To lump that in with “Bertie I’ll be good I love you” doesn’t feel right :/

that's totally reasonable, emotionally manipulative works too, though i disagree that emotional manipulation isn't "actual abuse". Again, it wasn't intentional, but he definitely put her in a position where she felt as though she had to keep dating him, gave him rent money in S2, bought him things, etc. Having been in a relationship that had a lot of the same beats as Randy/Bertie in HS/College I acted similar to him in a lot of ways and got cheated on. I'm over it but it took a while to realize and accept that even though she cheated on me and that was loving awful, i had been a lovely boyfriend for a while and needed to make some life changes

Welp didn't see myself opening up personally in the Love thread but here we are

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Randy skirts the line between stupid and he-should-know-better abusiveness but it gets real bad in season 3. He says some stuff especially towards the end that no one should say to a person, let alone a girlfriend.

And I love how Gus's friends are all just cool comedy people who filter in and out of the show. I don't need a rich backstory for every one of them, it's fun enough to go "hey, that's Armen Weitzman!"

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

GobiasIndustries posted:

that's totally reasonable, emotionally manipulative works too, though i disagree that emotional manipulation isn't "actual abuse". Again, it wasn't intentional, but he definitely put her in a position where she felt as though she had to keep dating him, gave him rent money in S2, bought him things, etc. Having been in a relationship that had a lot of the same beats as Randy/Bertie in HS/College I acted similar to him in a lot of ways and got cheated on. I'm over it but it took a while to realize and accept that even though she cheated on me and that was loving awful, i had been a lovely boyfriend for a while and needed to make some life changes

Welp didn't see myself opening up personally in the Love thread but here we are

randy was a subpar boyfriend. not manipulative, not abusive, just bad. iirc bertie offered some money, and iirc he ended up feeling guilty about taking it, to the point of living in his car and airbnbing + seeking out work because he wanted to be a better boyfriend. he did his best, his best just wasnt very good

stating your needs/asking for things you want and being granted them is not "manipulative" it's just human interaction. and cheating on someone because you lack the spine to assert yourself is not "nice" - it's passive agressive and mean :(

i feel like nobody is willing to say "ugh, i had this lovely ex. he was useless and clingy". having a lovely bf/gf is part of growing up, it doesn't make you a victim or someone who deserve a slate opinion piece

anyways i feel like im at the risk of annoying people with my pendantry so im gonna try to change the topic - is it true this is the last season? I feel like they could get 1 more out of it, and they don't seem afraid of running stuff like OITNB into the ground so I'm kind of sad we won't see more. I think they could really flesh out Allan and Frank for example... they painted them as these losers early on, turns out they go to cool wrestling shows and have been married and ended up choosing a different kind of love to have a fulfilling life. They touched on the topic of friendship a bit in S3 with Nicky's drama but I think that is a natural progression for the show - platonic love/friendship. Randy

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

randy was a subpar boyfriend. not manipulative, not abusive, just bad. iirc bertie offered some money, and iirc he ended up feeling guilty about taking it, to the point of living in his car and airbnbing + seeking out work because he wanted to be a better boyfriend. he did his best, his best just wasnt very good

stating your needs/asking for things you want and being granted them is not "manipulative" it's just human interaction. and cheating on someone because you lack the spine to assert yourself is not "nice" - it's passive agressive and mean :(

i feel like nobody is willing to say "ugh, i had this lovely ex. he was useless and clingy". having a lovely bf/gf is part of growing up, it doesn't make you a victim or someone who deserve a slate opinion piece

anyways i feel like im at the risk of annoying people with my pendantry so im gonna try to change the topic - is it true this is the last season? I feel like they could get 1 more out of it, and they don't seem afraid of running stuff like OITNB into the ground so I'm kind of sad we won't see more. I think they could really flesh out Allan and Frank for example... they painted them as these losers early on, turns out they go to cool wrestling shows and have been married and ended up choosing a different kind of love to have a fulfilling life. They touched on the topic of friendship a bit in S3 with Nicky's drama but I think that is a natural progression for the show - platonic love/friendship. Randy

we're just gonna have to agree to disagree i guess because like I said I've acted like Randy in the past and would 100% classify some of the ways in which I acted as emotionally manipulative.

And yeah, last season :( I'd like one more too but i'm happy with how it wrapped things up on the whole.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I think there's a fine line between being a bad partner and being abusive when it comes to Randy's issues. His entire sense of self-worth is invested in Bertie dating him, which creates a situation where she would feel guilty to leave him because who knows what will happen.

On one hand, I don't think Randy is doing that intentionally and he's just a sad sack (which I also very much relate from my first relationship a decade ago). On the other hand, not knowing that you're being manipulative doesn't necessarily clear you of guilt.

Bertie then acts in that context where it's framed as easier to sneak then to confront a scary truth. They both have faults, with Randy being more culpable overall imo, but the underlying issue is extremely poor communication.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

i am the bird posted:

They both have faults, with Randy being more culpable overall imo

wow. i'm probably biased for reasons i wont go into, but the idea a partner who cheats is less culpable than the partner who... exists? is not ideal?

that's a kind of upsetting idea. if you are unhappy ina relationship, you end it. i recognize abuse happens but absent some sort of fear of leaving, i really bristle at the line of logic "it's his fault i cheated because he'd have been sad if i dumped him"

i'd be slightly more sympathetic if bertie met some new guy and was overcome with passion, but she knew chris for a while. it would have been very easy to dump randy and ask out chris. she was monkey branching and it's wrong :mad:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nichael posted:

I feel like this show's always making a case that Mickey is awful, but failing to do so. She's really not that bad, and her friends like Shaun are just incredibly judgmental and nauseating.

the show was set up that way, but I don't think that was the point it was trying to make.

In general, Season 1 mostly made Mickey out to be lovely as Gus struggled to look past her problems.

Season 2 put them on much more even ground, and Gus's anger issues and misguided view of their relationship started to show.

Season 3 was really all about Gus coming to terms with the lovely things he has done, leading up to scene where he literally lists the lovely things he has done to Mickey, his family, and the viewers. I don't think Mickey did hardly anything wrong this season. The closest it got was the brisket dinner party, but that really just made Shaun and her husband look bad. Meanwhile every other episode had Gus doing something stupid.

I really liked this show, but I feel like it would be better if someone watched all the seasons in a row. It was kind of weird watching this over the course of two years when the show is supposed to be taking place over 6 months or whatever. Especially at the start of S2 when they apparently had only met a few weeks prior. This season was probably my favorite, with the Palm Springs and Bertie's birthday episodes being the best. I really like all the characters and would have liked to see more, but the show said what it wanted to say and wrapped it up nicely (if a bit abruptly), so I can't complain.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 13, 2018

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Caganer posted:

wow. i'm probably biased for reasons i wont go into, but the idea a partner who cheats is less culpable than the partner who... exists? is not ideal?

that's a kind of upsetting idea. if you are unhappy ina relationship, you end it. i recognize abuse happens but absent some sort of fear of leaving, i really bristle at the line of logic "it's his fault i cheated because he'd have been sad if i dumped him"

i'd be slightly more sympathetic if bertie met some new guy and was overcome with passion, but she knew chris for a while. it would have been very easy to dump randy and ask out chris. she was monkey branching and it's wrong :mad:

Sorry, that was abrupt and poorly worded. I meant he's more culpable for the bad relationship overall up to that point. Bertie's actions are inexcusable and not justified.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The timeline is super weird and them putting the seven months stamp on it made it weirder. Judd Apatow's daughter grows like two feet.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

i am the bird posted:

Sorry, that was abrupt and poorly worded. I meant he's more culpable for the bad relationship overall up to that point. Bertie's actions are inexcusable and not justified.

cool. yeah i'm not looking to pillory her - if i was told that story by someone i was dating and they seemed like they'd learned to be more assertive it wouldn't be a red flag.

like i said, i'm biased about this kind of thing :smith:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Caganer posted:

cool. yeah i'm not looking to pillory her - if i was told that story by someone i was dating and they seemed like they'd learned to be more assertive it wouldn't be a red flag.

like i said, i'm biased about this kind of thing :smith:

Yeah, the whole point of her arc is that she's a chronic enabler and that's a very bad thing. She should have dumped Randy a loooooong time ago, but she didn't, so she backed herself into a corner. And now they're both worse off for it.

I think writing off Randy's behavior as "merely existing" when he lied to her for months so that he could keep mooching off her is a bit much though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

I mean I've mentioned a couple times that, as a person who has had Randy tendencies that it doesn't excuse cheating but also doesn't excuse the other party's behavior either. Randy did more than exist, he, and again i cannot stress the word inadvertently enough, used Bertie. Describing Randy as just existing is handwaving away his bad behavior

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bertie kinda acted like a jerk. Randy was a bad boyfriend.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
still want to hug and kiss bertie

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who doesn't? I would love to meet someone as positive as her.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Claudia O'Doherty is extremely cool and good.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who doesn't? I would love to meet someone as positive as her.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Nichael posted:

I really just want Claudia O'Doherty to have her own show.

she has a bunch of web shorts that are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI3WPFqmhbU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Five episodes in and I still enjoy this show but goddamn does everybody stress me out. All my friends get too anxious to sit through Curb Your Enthusiasm and that's how I feel about Love sometimes. Everyone loving sucks at communicating so much that I could barely be friends with any of them let alone imagine dating them!

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Henchman of Santa posted:

Five episodes in and I still enjoy this show but goddamn does everybody stress me out. All my friends get too anxious to sit through Curb Your Enthusiasm and that's how I feel about Love sometimes. Everyone loving sucks at communicating so much that I could barely be friends with any of them let alone imagine dating them!

i'd date the poo poo out of the Palestinian chicken lady

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

It is great at reminding me of all my worst traits and also my friends' worst traits.

But also some of the best too. :unsmith:

It's a very stressful show.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I'm Randy :smith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

It is great at reminding me of all my worst traits and also my friends' worst traits.

But also some of the best too. :unsmith:

It's a very stressful show.

My best friend has Gus's hero complex which has made it hard to watch in the past. Thankfully he's not an insanely passive aggressive conflict avoider.

Agh episode 7 is making my skin crawl

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 13, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Show ended very strong in the last 3. I'm glad they got a heads-up and finished the story.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thread OP, were you serious about Gus doing nothing wrong? Because between that and the Randy defence......fuckin yikes man

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I like it because everybody is so unlikeable that watching them crash and burn is cathartic rather than nerve-wracking.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Thread OP, were you serious about Gus doing nothing wrong? Because between that and the Randy defence......fuckin yikes man

A friend just started watching this and they might give up for how awful Gus is. If it’s intentional, it’s a pretty impressive narrative because he’s so clearly the ~nice guy~ archetype but the show does a lot to cushion that if you’re not looking for it. So, when Mickey (righteously) explodes on him from time to time, the first instinct of people is probably to defend Gus even though he’s poo poo.

I have a couple episodes to go I think and it’s been hard to get through. I feel way better about S3 Mickey but man, everyone else suuuuuuucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Escobarbarian posted:

I was kidding around, it was a reference to that time they held a naming contest for a new Mountain Dew and 4chan stuffed the ballot for “Hitler Did Nothing Wrong”, it was tongue in cheek.

As for Randy it’s not so much a defense as feeling he’s just a bad bf mostly due to things like being unemployed and kind of unattractive which are not like, character flaws. I’m not saying he’s good just that if you don’t like your bf, break up, don’t cheat on him

• Locked thread