Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Gigi Galli posted:

Do MLS teams ever loan players to each other? I know that they can loan players to outside leagues, but I'm not sure I've ever seen an intra-league one.

Yes they can, as of 2(?) seasons ago. Seattle loaned Aaron Kovar to LAFC this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Don Garber said in his state of the MLS speech that MLS can support more than 28 teams, which is pretty much what everyone should have expected.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Still saying MLS will divide in two when the number of teams reaches 32.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Gigi Galli posted:

It's absolutely this.

I don't think the upgrade from Sean Johnson is worth that much effort though? Especially since this way MLS actually gets a cut of the transfer (since Steffen isn't a homegrown) so CFG actually did have to spend some money here.

Actually, have City EVER done this with NYC? Bought a player from another MLS team and loaned them NYC rather than having NYC trade for them directly? I keep seeing it as a theory but I don't recall it ever happening.

Edward Mass posted:

Still saying MLS will divide in two when the number of teams reaches 32.

Almost certainly. The main question is whether it divides vertically or horizontally (that said, the only good reason to do MLS1/MLS2 is to troll people so I honestly doubt it'll be that).

MagnifiedX
Jan 31, 2003
Atom Splitting Retard

trem_two posted:

I think it means you can tailgate before and after the game, and security won't hustle you out. They let you stay in the parking lot until midnight after an event in Atlanta.

Pretty much exactly this, but it's also meant to encapsulate the attitude of shared space between both teams supporters as well.

Shrapnig posted:

So just call it loving tailgating. Why do supporter groups in MLS need to create bullshit nomenclature for things that already exist.

Every group in society ever has come up with their own internal descriptors for random things, supporter's culture is no different. Now, if we were talking about supporter culture politics, I am allllll on board with your statement in that case.

highme posted:

If I show up and yell "Hey! Fancy rear end Ho!" will the bourbon fairy appear with treats?

Our tailgate is going to be in the starred lot on the attached map. How close is that to the Gulch? I just checked your image again and saw the map part. It's not close.

I have a 10:30 appointment at the Swag Shop, then the days mostly open. The only other thing I want to do Saturday AM is to visit the Dr King National Historic Park. Other than that, heading over that way for a row looks like a good time.

We generally give out free drinks for visiting supporters during every matchday tailgate, only fair since that's how it should be done!

I can't speak for the other tailgates, but TL will have beer, tequila, jello shots, and a small variety of mixed drinks on offer. NB: the drinks on offer are pre-game; post-game it's all BYOB (we've got a lot of gear to load and unload every tailgate).

EDIT: HOWEVER, if you're not a travelling fan, expect to pay the $10 for the tailgate drink access for the day. Yes, that price is all you can drink.

Due to the rain, some of us probably won't get there as early, but I'd recommend swinging in before it gets super crowded down there. We officially "open" at 1 PM.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Absolutely. That’s called the part of the tailgate where the idiots are busting bottles and I’m waiting out traffic.

Also yeah I’ve been sober seven years and seeing drinking culture from the outside never gets less bizarre. Y’all look weird.

Totally hear you on that one, it's a bunch of tribal rituals and mojo. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way!

MagnifiedX fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 7, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jesus loving Christ.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dallan Invictus posted:

Almost certainly. The main question is whether it divides vertically or horizontally (that said, the only good reason to do MLS1/MLS2 is to troll people so I honestly doubt it'll be that).

MLS2 could have its own playoffs for promotion! Just think: two simultaneous playoffs.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Dallan Invictus posted:

I don't think the upgrade from Sean Johnson is worth that much effort though? Especially since this way MLS actually gets a cut of the transfer (since Steffen isn't a homegrown) so CFG actually did have to spend some money here.

Actually, have City EVER done this with NYC? Bought a player from another MLS team and loaned them NYC rather than having NYC trade for them directly? I keep seeing it as a theory but I don't recall it ever happening.

Didn't they do this with Diskerud? I guess he wasn't in MLS though. In any case it's not so much that this is the obvious plan, it's just that there is no other alternative. Steffen isn't going to be playing for the premiere league title or the champions league.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Didn't they do this with Diskerud? I guess he wasn't in MLS though. In any case it's not so much that this is the obvious plan, it's just that there is no other alternative. Steffen isn't going to be playing for the premiere league title or the champions league.

Diskerud was a free agent when he was "signed" by City.

It's such a bizarre thing to do. The only really lucrative signing City has done with this as far as I can tell is Aaron Mooy who they "bought" from Melbourne City, another club they own.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I mean, it's the same gamble they took with Mooy (where it worked out) or Harrison (where it didn't, really). City and Chelsea in particular buy tons of players who will never in a million years make the first team, but might still improve enough to turn a profit when they get sick of loans or riding the bench or the odd domestic cup start. Simplest answer is that Steffen will be another of those.

(the Diskerud transfer is the fly in my narrative because THAT made zero sense for City on any aboveboard level)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Harrison could still work out, He's English, played for their U-21s, and is on loan at Leeds and playing matches. He probably wont ever be a Manchester City player but his trajectory isn't that uncommon in England other than the fact that he played in MLS first.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I thought he'd been sold to Leeds so that was my mistake. You're right, he could certainly still work out.

But yeah, the point is that this sort of thing is not unusual for teams like City at all, the only difference between Steffen to City and Miazga to Chelsea is that City owns a team here.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Dallan Invictus posted:

They’ll divide into two conferences that don’t have inter-league play until the MLS Cup final because this league is retarded

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
The athletic is reporting that the Red Bull’s are close to a multi year deal with Tim Parker. This makes me very happy. Keep that Long-Parker duo together.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RGonzalezCBS/status/1071445614632845313
:negative:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

I love that most front offices around the world have no more soccer knowledge than your average NBC Sports viewer.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Yahoo is saying LA Galaxy is now working on getting Jason Kreis which lmao if true

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

TwoStepBoog posted:

Yahoo is saying LA Galaxy is now working on getting Jason Kreis which lmao if true

He was good with rsl wasn't he? I mean, Orlando lol and all that but he's not the worst choice

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

the worst choice is alan pardew

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

He was good with rsl wasn't he? I mean, Orlando lol and all that but he's not the worst choice

He was mediocre with NYCFC and BAD with Orlando, but NYC's first-year front office was a comedy and Orlando's has always been a disaster. I'm not quite ready to guarantee he'll fail with the Galaxy, especially if their hiring te Kloese as their GM works out, because both those teams had way bigger problems than him while he was there (and RSL's success owes as much to Lagerwey as Kreis).

I agree he wouldn't be that bad a hire for LA, and far from the worst choice because:

Nostradingus posted:

the worst choice is alan pardew

More broadly, a lot of soccer fans give WAY more credit to the head coach than deserved for both success or failure - as usual, I blame the English, since their managers tend to combine head coach and GM in a way that actually isn't common elsewhere, but the dominance of English soccer culture in our coverage and knowledge of the sport makes us thing that a lot of the ways the sport works there are a Soccer Thing rather than an England Thing.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Tomorrow, the trade window opens for a half a day (i don't know) and then on Tuesday is everyone's favorite day: EXPANSION DRAFT DAY.

Already rumored:
-Urruti to Montreal.
-Some kind of big name ATL player to Vancouver.
-a whole lot more

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 9, 2018

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Wooooo Atlanta won something lick my butt suck on my ballssssd

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Wooooo Atlanta won something lick my butt suck on my ballssssd

What? Tell me in a cogent sentance. What did Atlanta win?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

TwoStepBoog posted:

Tomorrow, the trade window opens for a half a day (i don't know) and then on Tuesday is everyone's favorite day: EXPANSION DRAFT DAY.

Already rumored:
-Urruti to Montreal.
-Some kind of big name ATL player to Vancouver.
-a whole lot more

Garza is the player headed to Vancouver according to the twitter reports now

Weedle
May 31, 2006

e: nm

Weedle fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 9, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

Garza is the player headed to Vancouver according to the twitter reports now

Well I guess that negates that rumor then.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Honestly the source for that rumour that I can see is an anonymous guy who's big on Whitecaps Twitter for some reason despite having a hit and miss track record so I would take it with a grain of salt.

That said, I would not complain about having a better second LB than Brett Levis, who you all have never heard of and who I have never trusted.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Rapids have sent longtime backup keeper Zac MacMath to Vancouver for non-defender Nicholas Mezquida and $100k in TAM. I’ve seen him listed as a forward and the Rapids are calling him an “attacking mid.”

http://bit.ly/NicoRapids

Comments on social media are “the guy is a great super sub but crumbles under a large workload.” Is that pretty much correct? I’m “meh” about this one.

MacMath is a good guy who deserves a shot at a starting job. He was pretty good, solid but unspectacular, until Howard showed up and MacMath got exiled to the bench. He needs minutes or he tends to badly lose form.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Rapids have sent longtime backup keeper Zac MacMath to Vancouver for non-defender Nicholas Mezquida and $100k in TAM. I’ve seen him listed as a forward and the Rapids are calling him an “attacking mid.”

He's basically an attacking mid. I'm sure we've played him up front at times because he usually comes on as a sub and our depth at striker has been terrible forever, but he's not really suited to lead a line himself.

quote:

Comments on social media are “the guy is a great super sub but crumbles under a large workload.” Is that pretty much correct? I’m “meh” about this one.

About right, yes.

quote:

MacMath is a good guy who deserves a shot at a starting job. He was pretty good, solid but unspectacular, until Howard showed up and MacMath got exiled to the bench. He needs minutes or he tends to badly lose form.

We now have two guys in that boat because we also traded for Max Crepeau from Montreal, so I guess our preseason is going to be a goalie Thunderdome to decide which of them will start and which of them has moved over a thousand miles to sit on another bench.

I'm really surprised you guys traded him, actually. Surely Howard won't last much beyond next season, you should have been transitioning to Zac surely?

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Dallan Invictus posted:

He's basically an attacking mid. I'm sure we've played him up front at times because he usually comes on as a sub and our depth at striker has been terrible forever, but he's not really suited to lead a line himself.

That's what I thought. Rapids still need a striker then, unless they plan on playing McBean up top for another year. :eek:

quote:

About right, yes.

That's also what I thought. Guess they're gonna moneyball it until Howard and Gashi go, then go for it 2020.

quote:

We now have two guys in that boat because we also traded for Max Crepeau from Montreal, so I guess our preseason is going to be a goalie Thunderdome to decide which of them will start and which of them has moved over a thousand miles to sit on another bench.

I'm really surprised you guys traded him, actually. Surely Howard won't last much beyond next season, you should have been transitioning to Zac surely?

That was the expectation from basically everyone. Howard is under contract through 2019 and says farewell on another crappy team, MacMath gets the job in 2020, and the search for the next kid starts. Now...:shrug:

There's a few thories floating around about this trade. MacMath forced it (change of scenery? he's been told no he's not starting in 2020?), the Rapids' copy of Football Manager rated Mezquida higher than MacMath, they have some kid ready to go in 2019 and hopefully start in 2020, or comedy option the new backup will be Andrew Dykstra. No one really knows at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Moved to off-season thread!