Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Zacharia Gadsen - The Serpentine
Hot: -1 Cold: +2 Volatile: +1 Dark: -1
XP: 1 Harm: 1
Conditions: An Actual Monster, irrelevant

I suppose I don't care that much. Except that I have promised to be there too. For Pete's sake, today is not really turning out the greatest. And it started so well. And now he's whispering to her. But to Hades with it all. I wash my hands of this. Perhaps she'll ruin his plans with another ill-thought outburst. I sit back on my chair, leaving him to have his little conversation with her. As long as she doesn't actively worsen my relation with Peyton, she can get involved with whoever she wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Fiona Seolh, the Selkie
Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
XP: 3/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Unmannered, Ignorant

This Leopold is really nice! I mean, really. He's offering me food, says he can get me out of this super uncomfy chair without getting in trouble... I think, and that's a lot! The only other person who's been that nice today was Josephine — wow — and even she had that mean friend trying to learn about the bacheloretty thing. So, without taking too much time to think about it, I whisper back, a little shyly, "I'd like that a lot."

I grab my bag, hike it up over my shoulder, and stand pretty close to him. He smells... interesting. Spicy, maybe? It's good and I like it and I wonder what kind of food he's going to have at his party. Pizza, maybe? I do love those flavor discs!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions:
Soul Debt: 2/5

"Yeah, sure." I take a look at our assorted poems. "So which one should we go with? And who's going up?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Peyton Lestrade
Hot: +2 | Cold: +1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: -1
XP: 1 | Harm: 0

*plink*

Huh, new Gossiper update. Weird, Irene doesn't update during school that much. I start to read down through the summary and then have to click through the full thing. Fiona. Fiona? I'm making faces. That's....what the? God, that girl must be a good actress, because I never picked that up from her - way too much the naif. Josephine, not shocking in the least.

"Kylie," I say, picking out my poem from the pile, You're coming to the pool party, right?" I ask. "All the best people will be there. Me. Irene. Josephine...." To Omar, I say smile and say, "Leave this in the hands of a seasoned thespian," and stride up to the front of the class to read.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Scene 4 - Fifth Period
Zach, well, Fiona's gone now. That's... sort of a relief, I bet. Honestly, if Leopold's smoothing over the whole Fiona situation, you can probably just leave without any repercussions. Still... I bet it kinda pisses you off that Fiona's getting off scot-free from kicking the crap out of you, right?

Anyway, do you have anywhere you want to go (or anyone you want to see) before Student Council after school?

Also, you get an email forward to you from Grace, with a subject line of "!!!!!" When you open it, it's a link to the Gossiper. Do you normally read the Gossiper? Even if you don't, you've surely heard of it. Who do you think is writing it, anyway?

Fiona, Leopold brings you outside and hops over the door of his cherry red convertible. He says, "Hop in. I've still got some work to do organizing the party tonight, but if you give me hand, I'm sure we'll have a bit of free time to hang out before."

What do you do?

Peyton, Kylie looks surprised and... maybe even a little guilty(?) for a moment before saying in a low voice, "Um... sure. I'll be there."

You're the first up, obviously. No one else in class jumps at the chance to put on a show like you. How's it feel to have the whole class looking at you, even if they're looking a bit bored?

When you performance for a crowd, roll +Hot.
On a 10+, pick 2.
On a 7+, pick 1.

  • Give someone the "Starstruck" condition.
  • Gain +1 Forward when using the general emotion of the work you're performing. If it's unclear, tell me what emotion the work is evoking. (Example: If it's a happy performance, get +1 forward to making someone happy or doing something that makes you happy).
  • Gain an XP


Omar, You're going to be up next, and you there's Kylie's and your poem left. Kylie's looking at you, waiting to see what you pick.

What do you do?

Also, the scene is wrapping up, so put a bow on anything else you have.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Peyton Lestrade
Hot: +2 | Cold: +1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: -1
XP: 2 | Harm: 0

Kylie gets that withdrawn, slightly downcast look in her eyes and I know I've got her. "Sweet," I say, "See you there," as I withdraw with my poem. I stride to the front of the room and give my hair a quick toss, taking up a strong stance, feet slightly apart, shoulders back. I glance down at the paper discretely, even if I don't really need the cuing. I look over the heads of my classmates, at a crack in the back of the wall - it's the best way to look like you're connecting, without freaking people out by staring at them.

And I read it.

SidekickBOT - Today at 1:54 PM
@Peyton - Platonicsolid: 2d6+2 Performing for the class! = (5+3)+2 = 10
Taking the 1XP and giving Omar Starstruck.


loving.

Nailed.

It.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Fiona Seolh, the Selkie
Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
XP: 3/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Unmannered, Ignorant

Wow! This Leopold guy must be really, really cool. He's got a shiny car, which I think is an Uplander show of virility if I remember my studies of "the CW" correctly, and he's really nice, which is also a sign of being cool! I think. So cool. I hop in, too, but with... y'know, opening the door and sitting down in the seat and buckling in. So maybe not as cool, but that's okay. I think regular door opening is just fine too! I say, "Wow, Leopold, you have a really nice car." I tuck my bag down below my feet and look around at the beautiful day out. The outside was so much better than Mr. Kenny's uncomfortable office chair. And no yelling! Yes! "And yeah! I'd love to help, and hang out, too!"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Starstruck
Soul Debt: 2/5

I look at the two poems. Kylie's is far better then mine, but it'd be really mean to take it and make her read mine. I, uh, kind of just wrote it as a way to get her to talk to me. As Peyton comes back, I take the sheet and head up to class. Well, maybe they'll think there's something to it.

@Heliotrope: 2d6+1 Perform for class = (1+1)+1 = 3
Marking XP

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

[quote="Shogeton" post="484708306"]
Zacharia Gadsen - The Serpentine
Hot: -1 Cold: +2 Volatile: +1 Dark: -1
XP: 1 Harm: 1
Conditions: An Actual Monster, irrelevant

I do indeed have mixed feelings. I did not look forward to spending too much time dealing with this, particularly given that I'd have to deal with Fiona, who is... mercurial at best. But I have something of a sour taste in my mouth about the whole situation. Not even about her getting into trouble, but about Leopold undercutting me. Then again, I soothe myself thinking that he might not know what he's getting involved with. Neither does she really. Part of me is hoping that his plans with her work as well as the ones have worked for mine.

Regardless, for now, I'm free. I quickly send Kyle a message that everything is okay before getting ready to go to the Student Council meeting. As I send it I notice the message from grace. The Gossiper? I do regularly keep an eye on it. It's not to be taken as gospel, but it can be beneficial to keep an ear out for what is going on. And five exclamation marks? I better check this out post-haste.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Scene 5 - After School
Peyton, obviously, you have the class eating out of your hand by the end, and a few even burst into applause that quickly ends when they realize where they are. Most of the other poems are middling, with the only real surprises being Omar's completely bombing and Kylie's rather affecting delivery of her poem. It's not as good as yours (...probably), but the class gives her a similarly rapt attention as she slowly delivers each word with melancholy.
__________________________

After school, Samuel's waiting at your car, clearly dreading your arrival. Josephine's with him, leaning against the big scratch mark and looking impatiently for you to arrive. When you get there, she says, "Finally. Let's just ride over to Karl's shop and he'll take care of your stupid door." While she's talking she keeps chewing and smacking the gum in her mouth.

Samuel looks very much like he'd rather be just about anywhere else right now when he sort of pretends Josephine didn't say anything as he says, "Um, if you give us a ride, I'll explain everything to my friend Paul, and it'll be as good as new."

What do you do?

Omar, you aren't really too into this, and it shows. There's a voice from the back that says, "Did that take you a whole minute to write?" You don't catch the speaker and neither does Mrs. Williams, and while her glare searches the room, it does little to quell the laughter of your peers.

While you're back at your desk, though, you hear Satan whispering to you, filling in the quiet at your table. You can actually feel the hot, dry air of his voice on your neck as he says, "Oh, do you know what would be fun? Talking about how each of your classmates is fated to die!" As each one of your classmates goes up, Satan whispers a very graphic description of their death. They're mostly vaguely in the future, but when Victoria, one of the bridesmaids who "works" at her Dad's coffee shop, stands up, Satan gets excited, saying, "It's really a shame she won't make it to the wedding. But, tragic car accidents do tend to hurry one off the mortal coil. Really, though, it's going to be a sight to behold. That car will have to be going at least 50 down a 20 to send her flying that far."

Also, when Kylie gets up, he goes quiet before saying, "Well, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, there."
__________________________

After school, Kylie finds you in the deserted hallways of the school. She's recovered most of her standoffishness as she leans against a locker and folds her arms, but she does at least start the conversation, saying, "So, what's one of the most popular guys in school want to talk with little old me for?"

What do you do?

Fiona, he grins when you compliment his car, and after an exhilarating ride with the top down, he pulls up to an body shop with a big sign that lights up, saying "Karl's Auto Works." He parks behind one the cars being worked on and blares his horn for a second. There's a loud thump from under the car, followed by a stream of cursing as someone rolls out from underneath the car. A big teen in overalls rubs his head and starts in on Leopold before he recognizes him, and his glare turns into a grin, saying, "You're a real son of a bitch, you know that, Leo?"

He says, "drat right, Paul. All the best people are sons of bitches, anyway. Anyway, what you got for us?"

Paul looks around and makes sure the rest of the bays are empty and then starts eyeing you suspiciously. Leopold waves his hand at Paul dismissivly, saying, "Don't worry, she's cool." He turns to you, saying "Right, Fi?"

What do you do?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2018 around 17:08

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4+1/5 | Conditions: Starstruck
Soul Debt: 2/5

Honestly, the embarrassment at my poem reading barely lasts after Satan starts telling me about people's death. Especially Victoria's. And what is that remark about Kylie supposed to mean? Is he just kidding around? I don't know...but one problem at a time Omar. I keep that information in the back of my head though.

After class, I look at Kylie as she leans against the locker. "Is everything okay? You seem like something's bothering you." I come closer and meet her eyes. "I know we don't really hang out anymore but you can let me know if there's something I can do to help."

@Heliotrope: 2d6+1 Turn On Kylie = (1+3)+1 = 5
Marking XP and taking the rest of the Bargains for my advance

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Fiona Seolh, the Selkie
Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
XP: 3/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Unmannered, Ignorant

I hit Paul with my best 'I'm definitely super cool, I promise' smile, which people seem to like. More than when I hit them with my fist, anyways! I try my best to look like I'm not trying to be cool, because that's not cool, and say, "Always cool. Hi, Paul!"

I have no idea what this stop is about! Is Paul coming to the party? Are we picking up another car? I hope not. I can't drive! But worrying about that is... also not cool! So I guess I should just kind of hang tight and see what happens. I stretch out a bit, my arms still super sore from before lunch, and I think that Paul is trying to do that thing where he eats me with his eyes. Which, um. Hopefully doesn't happen!

quote:

SidekickBOT - Yesterday at 2:09 PM
@Tricky: 2d6+2 Turn On Paul = (6+4)+2 = 12

String + Self/Promise/Awkward.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Peyton Lestrade
Hot: +2 | Cold: +1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: -1
XP: 2 | Harm: 0

Ah, the glow of a performance nailed and an audience enraptured. drat does it feel good - I'm all tingly. Mmmm. I give a brief bow and head back to my seat to suffer through the rest of these performances. Omar makes me roll my eyes, while Kylie...she does pretty well, actually! I give her a quick low-five as she goes past.

---

"Like you had anything important to do," I say as I walk up to my car. "What, Jo, got somewhere else important to be? Missing some important *study* session?" I press. "You already owe me big time for not just reporting this to your insurance, or making you pay for the repair straight up. Sam's 'buddy' better know what he's doing it." I unlock the doors and open the driver's side. "Get in, don't touch anything. I don't need your grubby mitts messing up the *interior* too."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Scene 5 - After School

Zach, the link to the Gossiper shows the same article about Fiona and Josephine that Peyton read. Also, it has a few new entries, like:
"Omar totally broke up Celeste and Brayden, so he could be with her! They’re going to the wedding together!"
"Omar and Fiona were both late to class! What were they doing???"

There's definitely a Fiona and Omar focus on this latest round of gossip. By this point, the download counter on the page suggests that a good portion of the school has read it.
__________________________

Once you get into the Student Council room, you see that everyone has taken their seats, including Grace. She's actually sitting to the left of your seat at the head of the table, with the rest of Peyton's gang on the right side of her. She gives you a smile when you arrive, but Irene and Kevin are studiously examining with their phones. Toby's there too, as one of the class representatives. When he waves, you see the stitches on his arm from that fight he lost, hard. Who was he fighting and why?

Anyway, when you're trying to get people down to work on the Homecoming festival fundraising, Grace suddenly speaks up, saying, "You know what would work? Put on an encore presentation of last year's play. You know, the all-female version of As You Like It. It got lots of attention from the papers, and we were sold out almost every night. If we do it in the park, we could sell even more tickets!" She looks at you, expecting your approval.

Irene and Kevin look up at this, looking suspiciously at Grace. Suddenly, Irene clues in, nodding and saying, "Well, I think it's a good idea. Everyone still remembers their lines and we have all the props and costumes from last year. But! We'd need to have the whole cast in agreement, right?"

Kevin, finally picking up that they're talking about Peyton, says, "Oh! Yes, Shakespeare in the Park. Great idea. What do you think, Zach?"

Toby, though, looks a bit put off by the sudden turn the discussion went and says, "I thought we were trying to get fundraisers for this week? Isn't that a bit... short notice? And isn't Caroline going to be busy?"

Attempting to allay his concerns, Kevin says, "No, no. I ran the backstage mostly by myself. If I need some help, I'm sure you could pitch in, Zach. And... um. We can have someone step in for Caroline! Just one replacement isn't too much, right?"

Grace and Irene nod at this. While nodding, Grace looks up at you and then cuts her eyes back to Irene and Kevin.

What do you do?

Also, what's Leopold done around town that's made him a bit of a divisive figure around here?

Omar, you see the walls go up again as she takes a step closer to you, saying, "You don't mean that. You don't really care about me. I don't know who put you up to this, but you care about people like Caroline and Peyton and Celeste."

The lights in the hall flicker for a moment as she reaches the crescendo of her denunciation, and that seems to surprise her for long enough that she has a chance to regain her composure. Although she's calmed, she still hasn't changed her mind as she says, "You want to help me? Fine. Tell me why you suddenly care, and then I'll accept your help."

What do you do?

Peyton, Josephine glares at you and as you try to move past her, she grabs you by the hair and drags you back out of the car. With your hair balled in a fist, she pulls you to be face to face with her as she hisses, "I'm shocked. You actually have the guts to say something without half a dozen lackeys around. But, maybe you should realize that you aren't poo poo without them to do your work for you."

Samuel's eyes go wide in shock and he grabs for Josephine's hand to try and free you. But, she steps out of his way and pushes him to the ground with her free hand.

What do you do?

Fiona, Paul's staring at you, eyes wide, as you expected. For so long in fact, that Leopold smacks him on the back of the head, saying, "We don't have all day. You can gape at her like a slack jawed moron on your own time. Get the car loaded, then you can make a fool of yourself as as much as you want at the party tonight. We've got some other errands to run." Chastened, Paul says, "Oh, uh, right. You got it, Leo. And, uh, sorry, Miss Fi." He then hurries over to a tarp in the corner and pulls it off to reveal some cases of beer. He then starts loading the trunk as Leopold helps you out of the car.

As he leads you into the car shop's office, Leopold says, impressed, "You've got a bit of guile in you. From what I heard about you from the family, I didn't expect that." He thinks for a moment, and says, "So, what's my bone head of a cousin have on you, anyway? He's always talking about taking the high road. You know, having everyone get together and sing Kumbaya. So, it was a bit of a surprise to see that he's got someone like you under his thumb. What's the deal?"

What do you do?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Starstruck
Soul Debt: 2/5

"I care because we used to be friends and I can see something's bothering you. If you don't want to be in the same social circles anymore that's fine, but you've been trying to reach out to me for a while. So I'm talking to you, and now you just want me to leave?"

If Kylie responds to this negatively, I'm going to use Uncanny Voices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Zacharia Gadsen - The Serpentine
Hot: -1 Cold: +2 Volatile: +1 Dark: -1
XP: 1 Harm: 1
Conditions: An Actual Monster, irrelevant

Omar and Fiona? Initially, my instinct is to mentally shrug. Fiona seems to be somewhat heedless of her own reputation, and far too careless with her affections. Had I not spurned her publicly, I might now suffer these rumours rather than a bruise. Then I'm reminded of Fiona's current company, and Omar is not exactly Caucasian. That... might be problematic. Should I stay out of this? No, if Omar was to get violence, especially with me already in a way connected with Fiona, it would likely reflect on me if I don't take active steps. And it is the good thing to do, right? I message Omar quickly.

quote:

The rumour is going around that you and Fiona are somewhat together. Fiona is currently possibly in the company of those who might take offense to that because of your roots. I advise caution. Yours truly, Zacharia Gadsen

I know. It is not really the normal way to communicate, but my father is terribly behind the times on things like these, and he made me promise to always communicate 'properly'. I'm already pushing my limits on many areas. I shouldn't push harder.

This isn't coming out of nowhere. A few years ago, Leopold posted some picture of a racially mixed couple having an argument. Nothing really outrageous, no threats or physical violence, but unseemly screaming. But he had already been growing an online persona in the city, and it went around pretty quick. The man was assaulted later. No witnesses. He recovered but seperated from his fiancée and moved out of town soon after. Leopold tweeted that annoying frog thing along with a picture of his house for sale, which raised quite a stir. He was never directly involved, none of his tweets outright called for violence. But... I don't wish to insult his intelligence by saying that he could not have foreseen what would happen.

...

I notice Toby's injury, but do not comment. There was a time when my group of friends meekly accepted their lot as being the bottom of the social hierarchy. I like to think that my friendship with them caused them to bloom. Both in that I can assure that the school turns no blind eyes to them being persecuted, and they have gained a measure of confidence. Most of my friends are eager to simply avoid their erstwhile tormentors, but Toby is not that physically weak, and his confidence has brought with it a more confrontational nature. And there is one particular student, Ian Sanders, who still likes to attempt to intimidate him. And then they fight. Ian usually gets the better end of it. He is still a football player, but I think Toby takes a measure of pride in fighting back. He does prefer to play the Barbarians.

That aside, the new suggestion shows up. I make a show of pondering it, not wanting to seem eager or easily swayed, giving careful thought to Toby's remarks, but I pretty much decided. It seems like a good idea, and it is a step closer to mending bridges with Peyton. "I think there's a combination to be made. Not everyone is involved in the play, and during a play, there are drinks, souvenirs, food that can be sold as a fundraiser. And we could do it on a meagre budget, considering we would be reusing a lot of costumes." I cough. "And I think the last time it was somewhat overshadowed by people getting carried away a bit. A second chance at it might be called for." A bit of a polite reminder that I don't want another scandal.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«3 »