Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yall are definitely inspiring me here to sign up for future weekends and doing some goony foraging together. I've been wanting to anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Keep in mind that honeys more often cause allergies and intestinal distress (and is also one of the species that cause poisoning in combination with alcohol IIRC).

They're fine eating, just heat them through and don't booze it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tias posted:

Keep in mind that honeys more often cause allergies and intestinal distress (and is also one of the species that cause poisoning in combination with alcohol IIRC).

They're fine eating, just heat them through and don't booze it.

Yeah I got some yesterday, and earlier today cooked and ate just a couple caps to see if I have any reaction.

So far, I've had CotW, lobsters, sweet tooth, chanterelles, and no issues, so fingers crossed.

I also had a bit of beer with my lunch before I ate the shrooms, cause I didn't see that it may react with alcohol, so...uhh...well if I do feel sick or weird at all, I will try again with no booze in my system.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

First blewit of the season

And a stinkhorn!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oooh, that's a really cool stinkhorn! In comparison the one I saw today just seems....unenthused.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Anyone have a guess on these prominently gilled clusters covering my neighbor's lawn here in central NC?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

What trees are nearby?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Scarodactyl posted:

Anyone have a guess on these prominently gilled clusters covering my neighbor's lawn here in central NC?

Armillaria tabescens

They all popped up this past weekend all over NC.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have bbeen seeing honey fungus everywhere including int hat same yard but these looked different--the head is totally cupped without a distinct cap and the gills are super prominent. Is that just something that varies?
As to trees I'll need to go check, it's mostly pine and oak here with a side of sweet gums. These were all on the grass of course.
Edit: huh, visiting them again there does seem to be a continuous spectrum between these and more classic looking honey clusters good call!

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 12, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Scarodactyl posted:

I have bbeen seeing honey fungus everywhere including int hat same yard but these looked different--the head is totally cupped without a distinct cap and the gills are super prominent. Is that just something that varies?
As to trees I'll need to go check, it's mostly pine and oak here with a side of sweet gums. These were all on the grass of course.
Edit: huh, visiting them again there does seem to be a continuous spectrum between these and more classic looking honey clusters good call!
If they mature when its really wet and grow fast, they look like that. I'm staring at some that look just like that in central NC out my window as I'm typing this.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I found a chicken of the woods colony. Maybe? Didn't pick because it was in a state park.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Found a bear's head on a walk this weekend

Tias
May 25, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

Honeys are a family, not one specific species, and they vary in shape, colour and accessories (some have flaked caps, others do no), so yeah, it is

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

kreeningsons posted:

I found a chicken of the woods colony. Maybe? Didn't pick because it was in a state park.

Looks like it. Very old and decaying, though.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

kreeningsons posted:

Assuming you're looking for edibility, this is a far gone specimen. Good news is now is the time to find some. I'm in Michigan, within the past week I've found maitake, CoW, and blewits in freaking huge numbers. Everything is poppin

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Found these guys on an old stump in the park nearby:

Any ideas? I cut it open, the flesh is light yellow, as are the gills. I trimmed the base of the cap to expose the gills and I'm checking the spore color now.

Not sure if I'd eat them, since they're in a park... on the other hand, there's enough clover and plantain in the grass that they must not be using herbicide...

Edit: spores are pale, cream or light yellow.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 16, 2021

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

GodspeedSphere posted:

Assuming you're looking for edibility, this is a far gone specimen. Good news is now is the time to find some. I'm in Michigan, within the past week I've found maitake, CoW, and blewits in freaking huge numbers. Everything is poppin

This is good knowledge, thank you! To be honest I have nowhere near the level of confidence necessary to eat any mushroom I foraged myself. But I will hopefully be attending a local mushroom outing soon where the more experienced mushroom hunters can guide me to not poisoning myself.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Shaggy parasol I think, growing out of the edge of my driveway!

Seen tons of slippery Jack's around my yard but never one of these fellas

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Just bought a house this summer. And just found a patch of black trumpets on my new property! Already made a killer sausage and mushroom pizza. I'll post pics if I find any more.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dik Hz posted:

Just bought a house this summer. And just found a patch of black trumpets on my new property! Already made a killer sausage and mushroom pizza. I'll post pics if I find any more.
Found a bunch more.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

silicone thrills posted:

Shaggy parasol I think, growing out of the edge of my driveway!

Seen tons of slippery Jack's around my yard but never one of these fellas

Shaggy mane, Coprinus comatus. Super tasty imo. They will turn to goo rapidly after picking though, so cook them promptly. Parasols are Chlorophyllum.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dik Hz posted:

gently caress, nice :catdrugs:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
My latest trip to the woods proved fruitful, i t's been really dry here but here's a ton of amanita muscaria

An old parasol, it was spongy as hell. I probably should have left it there, but I suppose most of the spores were already gone.

Some other amanita

Various gregarious

The main event

The Leccinum haul (and a bit of hydnum), the parasol sadly went in the compost pile.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 24, 2021

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I wish there was better scale, but these mushrooms are growing out of the moss on my parents apple tree and are insanely small and cute

Tias
May 25, 2008

You picked any of those muscaria? If you opt to use them for food or tripping, please be mindful of how to break up the ibotenic acid, heavy diarrhea, cramps and nightmarish seizures can wreck your whole day.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This a morel right? It's hollow, and I can't find anything it could be other than a morel, but it's wildly out of season. Could the record rainfall in CA have triggered an early crop?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

eSporks posted:

This a morel right? It's hollow, and I can't find anything it could be other than a morel, but it's wildly out of season. Could the record rainfall in CA have triggered an early crop?

Yes, it's a morel. Sometimes you get "landscape morels" in weird areas or seasons; for example, I generally expect them at >5000ft elevation in May but have found them in bark mulch under a bush at sea level in the fall once.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That's exactly what it is, stumbled upon it in my backyard. First time trying one.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The morel was pretty tasty.

First mushroom I can say I enjoyed the flavor of, but I've only tried shiitake and portabella previously.

Here's a bunch more mushrooms I discovered today.

Shaggy ink cap.

Not sure.

Also not sure.

I am sure that I am not sure.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Tias posted:

You picked any of those muscaria? If you opt to use them for food or tripping, please be mindful of how to break up the ibotenic acid, heavy diarrhea, cramps and nightmarish seizures can wreck your whole day.

They were just a nice photo op.
It's funny because it's a minuscule planted patch of pines in the middle of a big deciduous forest. They used it to harvest huge boletes in a more convenient place, but after just a couple of years they never grew back and now it's just a carpet of muscaria.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

eSporks posted:

Seconding landscape morel. i.e. a morel that grew from inoculated mulch. They sometimes pop up out west in the fall.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Still haven't figured out what these guys are, but I super want to eat them.

Turns out the spores are actually more a middling brown, I think I was looking at immature spores before. I swiped my finger across a cap that was directly under another and got a thick layer of dark brown spores which quickly dried to a lighter brown.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Maybe Gymnopilus of some sort?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Maybe Gymnopilus of some sort?

Yeah, that's the closest thing I'd found in browsing mushroomexpert.com. Given the size, I'm wondering if they're Gymnopilus ventricosus, which is apparently inedible and contains no psilocybin, making them of little interest to anyone except in an aesthetic sense.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pham Nuwen posted:

Still haven't figured out what these guys are, but I super want to eat them.

Turns out the spores are actually more a middling brown, I think I was looking at immature spores before. I swiped my finger across a cap that was directly under another and got a thick layer of dark brown spores which quickly dried to a lighter brown.
Boy, those sure look like Omphalotus olearius. Have you taken an actual spore print or are you just basing it on the dust?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Do they glow in the dark? That'd be an easy indicator.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Boy, those sure look like Omphalotus olearius. Have you taken an actual spore print or are you just basing it on the dust?

They're not O. olearius, the gills do not run down the stem.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Arven posted:

Do they glow in the dark? That'd be an easy indicator.
I've picked Jacks several times to try to observe the glow-in-the-dark phenomenon and have never been able to see it. Apparently my experience is quite common.

But, as Pham Nuwen points out, maybe I'm misidentifying. dunno.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Got a photo of a couple of the little guys next to a 0.5mm mechanical pencil lead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

There were a couple more eggs just poking up nearby. But I was out camping with no way to properly prepare them, so I left them. This was in Trinity NF at about 3500 ft, in the middle of a gravel forest road.