Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Any idea what these guys are? They sort of look similar to some of the boletes I've seen posted/in books, but I'm not at all sure. These were under oaks by a parking lot and I see them around a decent bit. They are kind of yellowish underneath and look like sponges-not like gills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Boletes can be a bit hard to ID but in general if they grow from the ground like a ‘regular’ mushroom and are porous underneath instead of gilled then it’s safe to guess bolete as a start to identification.

Those specific ones I couldn’t begin to guess from photos, but take a look at https://boletes.wpamushroomclub.org/

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Any idea what these guys are? They sort of look similar to some of the boletes I've seen posted/in books, but I'm not at all sure. These were under oaks by a parking lot and I see them around a decent bit. They are kind of yellowish underneath and look like sponges-not like gills.

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Anything near or below the road is a no go, or anything in a splash zone. You never know what's being absorbed. Just like how you never eat the berries below the waist.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

the yeti posted:

I’ll try to remember to come back to this for elaboration —-but let me point out that a reliable telltale for pseudosensibilis vs bicolor and others is that its pores stain blue then fade to brown

Please elaborate! I read the link. Still not confident I'm grabbing Bicolor, but I'm interested.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

I scored more meadow mushrooms at work today. I'll be cooking these into a fine mushroom carbonara tonight.

Maybe I'll post pics when imgur stops making GBS threads itself.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Hi mushroom thread! Can anyone help me identify thing thing growing in my garden?

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

graham cracker posted:

Hi mushroom thread! Can anyone help me identify thing thing growing in my garden?

I have never seen anything like this before. Does it have gills?

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
I ran into a few red cage stinkhorns today in Oakland. Nice and pungent!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

graham cracker posted:

A guess, it could be an old rear end puffball. What’s it look like on the inside?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

The French Army posted:

I have never seen anything like this before. Does it have gills?

No gills.

the yeti posted:

A guess, it could be an old rear end puffball. What’s it look like on the inside?

It grew like this! I guess next step is cutting it open.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

graham cracker posted:

No gills.

It grew like this! I guess next step is cutting it open.

Yeah disconnect it from the ground and give us a photo side-on and a cross section. Also a rough geographical area would help.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Sounds good, I'm gonna give it a few days to see if it opens up, at any rate it'll give us a better idea. I'll keep the thread posted. I'm in California btw.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 9, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hawley-Smoot Tariff posted:

I ran into a few red cage stinkhorns today in Oakland. Nice and pungent!

This is pretty wild looking to me

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

graham cracker posted:

Google Lens is generally pretty good at ID’ing mushrooms. I tried it with this unidentifiable object in your garden, and it has concluded that it is a turtle. You’re growing turtles.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Here's another pic that shows some more detail. TBH I'm afraid of cutting it open because I don't want a face hugger poppin out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You can cut it open now and get it identified, or wait a couple days for it to turn into either a dried out puffball or a gooey mess.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

It's got the consistency and mass of a tennis ball roughly. Fairly dense. Some kinda truffle? There's a large evergreen tree in the backyard with roots nearby.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Well that's not what I expected.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Well that's not what I expected.

Big same.

It does look like a truffle on the inside but goddamn if I know what it actually is

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

I've nicknamed it 'pomegranite de terre'.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Picture Mushroom thinks it’s a Dead Mans Foot from the first two pictures

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

You beat me to it but yeah agree that it’s dead mans foot/ dyeball

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

That's fascinating! Thanks to everyone for their help identifying my horse dung.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Can someone help me identify this? Found in the mountains in North Carolina.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Picture mushroom thinks bloody brittlegill or winter russula

Picture Mushroom is a fun app. You have to try several shots sometimes and it’s smart to read up on the options you’re given, don’t trust a result from one photo, use your own judgement too.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

Snowy posted:

Picture Mushroom

I’ve been looking for something like this for years, thank you for mentioning it. I’ve been testing it out on a few in my camera roll and it’s surprisingly accurate.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

Can someone help me identify this? Found in the mountains in North Carolina.

Russula sp. There's a ton of species that are difficult to tell apart.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dik Hz posted:

Russula sp. There's a ton of species that are difficult to tell apart.

Yep. That mushroom app is neat but Russulas are notoriously hard to pin down in many cases, i wouldn’t rely on it for those.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wouldn’t rely on it for almost anything but it can give an easy head start

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

Russulas are gross, they smell like jizz.

Anyway, I took a walk in the woods on Sunday. The results were satisfying.

Agaricus xanthodermus, the yellow stainer. Poisonous.

Found lots of wood jelly but had nothing to carry it in. Next time......

There were small clusters of oysters in many places. Not worth picking though.

The main event. My best find of the day, two nice sized sparassis, or cauliflower mushrooms. I sauteed them with butter, salt and pepper and served them over a steak. Delicious.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The old lady that taught the mushroom hunting class would not stop raving about cauliflower mushrooms. I really want to find some.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The one time I found one in good shape it was right after someone told my newbie rear end they weren’t any good :gonk:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Found a couple chants while fishing. This is why I always carry a plastic bag in my pocket when I'm in the woods.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My favorite mushroom hunting spot is in a wildfire right now :(

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

My favorite mushroom hunting spot is in a wildfire right now :(
Morels next year!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dik Hz posted:

Morels next year!

That’s exactly what my wife said.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That’s exactly what my wife said.
Well, apparently your taste in spouses matches your taste in mushrooms. Well done!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah she’s pretty good. I’m bummed because we were gonna go bolete hunting this weekend. We took like 20# last year though, so still got a bunch dried.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nice fairy circle (plus bonus fairy semicircle) in my neighbor's yard (north carolina)

Also the world's most boring bolete, brown on brown on brown (durhamensis?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
God drat I'd love to come upon a fairy circle in real life in the woods that is so cool