Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The mushroom season here in Scandinavia is only about to start for real, so I'll probably have some spiffy finds soon - but a couple of months ago my buddy and I found a large Laetiporus Sulphuraus, or in English, 'Chicken-of-the-Woods'. In Danish we just call it by the translated latin, which is "porous sulphur mushroom".

On the felled Salix it was growing on:

Harvested, note the almost neon yellow tone on the underside, which makes it hard to mis-ID:

And at it's logical conclusion, turned into 'chicken' nuggers:

Tastes amazing, both texture and water content makes it very reminiscent of a piece of chicken, or perhaps lobster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's an amazing idea! Like, just the bits that are too weather-worn, you can't use a dead COTW for it, right?

Arven posted:

I've been wanting to get into foraging mushrooms since I was a kid, but the caveats of "don't eat it unless you know exactly what it is" and that it seems like every edible mushroom has a poisonous doppelganger has always put me off. So uh... what's the trick, I guess? My mom and I attended all sorts of outdoorsy seminars when I was a teenager, and I think the mushroom people were the only ones worse than the bee people about scaring new people off of their hobby.

Earlier this summer I seeded two logs with shitake and two logs with oyster dowels I got off amazon, so hopefully I'll have some I know I can eat next year.

While it is true, some families are worse than others. For instance, boletes have a wide variety of tasty, safe members, 2 poisonous ones, and one that isn't poisonous but full of a stinking ether that destroys the entire dish you put it i. Wait, gently caress, now I'm scaring you too :eng99:

What I wanted to get at, was: Find some shrooms that are easy to ID, have many edible members, and get comfortable with that one family. I recommend boletes, or for an even safer bet, oysters or chantarelles. Just observe the one simple rule that is also in the OP: Not really sure? Let it be, and take home those you're absolutely certain about.

It takes some preparatory work watching tutorials and reading mushroom books, but once you get the 'strong eye' that tells mushrooms from the undergrowth and the knowledge that it's good eating, you'll be astounded at how much fun it is. Also, if you know a friend who picks, someone experienced, have them teach you, it's always more effective and less chore-like.

This awaits you!

Tias
May 25, 2008

excellent bird guy posted:

I do work for an insitutional type place. One of the guys was outside picking and eating little brown mushrooms in the yard. Then he complained of stomach pains. He's lucky he didn't pop a deathcap.

The kind of institution where guys can't take of themselves mentally? If so consider cutting mushrooms and some of the angrier photodermatitis causing plants in the areas they go outside( like parsnips and bear weed) back, so the clients don't get hosed up by them.

Tias fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 18, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

the yeti posted:

Yeah exactly that, a little worn, a little dried out, the basal parts of a piece that tend to get fibrous, all that can go for soup broth or add to chicken or beef stock if that’s a thing you make.

I favor boletes heavily starting in a few months largely because living in the northeast US, there are enormous old oaks everywhere and many good species love them.

Instagram is killing me rn because a few people I follow on the west coast US and in Russia are hauling in the porcini and Suillus sp. like crazy.

Boletes are pouring in over Denmark as we speak, but it will probably be some weeks before my island gets any proper belts due to poor rain patterns :sigh:

Anyone here good with sowing spores, and can explain the process? I might do that for next year.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Could be one of the 'fake chantarelles', hygrophoropsis family, if it doesn't smell like apricots or pepper. Not strictly speaking inedible, but are thought to cause cancer.

Tias
May 25, 2008

BTs are the poo poo <3

What's a maitake?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Also known as hen of the woods, scientific name Grifola frondosa.

Anyone around here eat black-staining polypores? I found a bunch today.

Oh word, those are delicious - in my language they're called Cauliflower mushroom, on account of the look.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Russula sp. There's a ton of species that are difficult to tell apart.

Oh word! In Denmark we call the Russ. family "brittle caps".

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

God drat I'd love to come upon a fairy circle in real life in the woods that is so cool

I've seen my share, but then I'm also posting from within Faerie prison :haw:

Tias
May 25, 2008

No telling from that picture. It might be champignon or even a dapperling, but don't eat unless you know how to tell.

I'm going to pluck later, my bad humidity island finally got some rain.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I don't drink and am not an idiot who'd eat something he can't positively ID. This means that, for me, foraging is the bountiful treasure chambers of the goblin king :getin:

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 19, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'd slice 'em up and give them some batter before pan frying them, but this works best with fresh ones.

Tias
May 25, 2008

GodspeedSphere posted:

So what do you guys use for preliminary identification? I had been using picture mushroom but it was just too inaccurate to even give me a decent starting point most of the time. Switched to fungusid.com and that's been better in every way. Any others worth their salt?

I go out with an old, experienced hunter. If I can't, I'll take good photo IDs and consult the largest ID group on facebook in my country.

Tias
May 25, 2008

the yeti posted:

Same with chaga if you see people talking about that.

Friend of mine who lives with HIV swears drinking chaga infusions has finally gotten his liver numbers in the green. I don't know if there's actually studies on it, but medicinal use by humans really goes way back.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So crat. tubaeformis (yellowfoot or winter mushroom in the anglosphere, we call them 'funnel chantarelles' in scandinavia) is supposedly all over my forest, going out tomorrow! Wish me luck <3

the yeti posted:

Huh thats fascinating (and excellent for your friend!)

I’ll freely admit to being dismissive because I primarily encounter it either in adverts or alongside turkey tail and other things that ping my medical-magic radar. Ditto Cordyceps.

Me too - on the other hand, use by humans has been consistent for so long that it makes sense that there's something to it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Greatest Living Man posted:

Some ones in Bavaria.

Not sure but lol

Bavaria must be a look like Denmark, 'cause we have all of the same ones right now!

The lol one is Coprinus comatus, known as Lawyer's Wig. We call it Wig-hat here - it's actually a quite decent morsel if you get them young, we picked and fried some yesterday and ate them on bread!

E: but don't get drunk at the same time, they create compounds that make alcohol, uh, very dangerous.

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 27, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Most animals can tell by taste or smell, allowing them to grow to maturity in peace unless some dumbshit humans show up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Went to the churchyard and got an assload of Suillus luteus, syn. boletus luteus - apparently referred to as "slippery jack" or "sticky bun" in English :psyduck: We call it brown-yellow slime bolete.

Didn't taste so well, though, perhaps they were too big.

Also got a bunch of Xerocomellus chrysenteron, or red cracking bolete, but I didn't get a pic.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Greatest Living Man posted:

In German they're called Butterpilze. Those are also ringless, so they're a little less tasty than the ones with rings. Also they gave me diarrhea.

Appropriately, in Sweden they're 'smörsopp' (butter mushroom).

Me too :aaa:

Thought it was just my IBS being a poo poo, but maybe it's a thing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, I peeled the cap off all of them first. Even if they didn't cause all sorts of bowel fun I just wouldn't dig on the texture. Thanks for diarrhea info!

Tias
May 25, 2008

cream base with chanterelles, salt, pepper and on toasted bread. They're quite good in omelettes, on pizza or in stews/soups too.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

A sand hill county almanac by Aldo Leopold is the go to for me. I grew up in a similar biome and he really captures the changing of the seasons in that book.

Through the Seasons by Jim Gilbert is another one I like about where I grew up. Also, a lot of foraging books (my fave: Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Euell Gibbons) have a ton of phenology info in them.

Can you review Stalking the Wild Asparagus for me? It seemes like very much my jam

Tias
May 25, 2008

gently caress yes, for some reason sulphur polypore ("Chicken-of-the-Woods") is growing all over the lake meadow nearby! Going to eat so many <3

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Chicken of the woods grows off wood, so I assume you mean trees/stumps in the meadow and not directly off the grassy soil?

Yeah, on oak and willow on the paths surrounding the heath.

Tias
May 25, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Also spotted a number of large steinsopp (Penny bun, Boletus edulis), unfortunately all badly wormeaten. Also in evidence and duly sampled: wild strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, bilberries and crowberries.

what kind of disturbed country do you belong to that B. Edulis is not called some variant of Karl Johan? :argh:

No seriously, great pics and good haul!

Tias
May 25, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Huh, I knew it is also Steinpilz in German and assumed based on those two examples that stone mushroom was common to germanic languages, but I just looked it up and apparently not! My favourite is the Dutch name, eekhoorntjesbrood or "little squirrel bread".

I'm just joshing you :p I think it's particular to Denmark and Sweden only, after the Swedish king Karl XIV Johan, who allegedly loved it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, not sure what you got but not oyster family.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Keep in mind that honeys more often cause allergies and intestinal distress (and is also one of the species that cause poisoning in combination with alcohol IIRC).

They're fine eating, just heat them through and don't booze it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

I have bbeen seeing honey fungus everywhere including int hat same yard but these looked different--the head is totally cupped without a distinct cap and the gills are super prominent. Is that just something that varies?
As to trees I'll need to go check, it's mostly pine and oak here with a side of sweet gums. These were all on the grass of course.
Edit: huh, visiting them again there does seem to be a continuous spectrum between these and more classic looking honey clusters good call!

Honeys are a family, not one specific species, and they vary in shape, colour and accessories (some have flaked caps, others do no), so yeah, it is

Tias
May 25, 2008

You picked any of those muscaria? If you opt to use them for food or tripping, please be mindful of how to break up the ibotenic acid, heavy diarrhea, cramps and nightmarish seizures can wreck your whole day.

Tias
May 25, 2008

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Welp this season sucked because of HOW MUCH rain we got and now the snow in the PNW has royally ended pretty much all the mushrooming for the year. I'm still going to try my luck with some Yellowfoots though, maybe in a couple of weeks when things are just normal and rainy and not stupidly snowy and/or stupidly rainy...

Don't you get winter season mushrooms in the states? I'd start thinking about finding wood ear, and eventually oysters and enoki, though I don't know if you have them where you are.

Tias
May 25, 2008

The first wild mushrooms you eat in the year, or just eating the first wild ones in a while, can easily annoy the gut, hard stomach being the most common reaction. It's not a problem once you get used to it, barring allergies or other serious reactions

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 12, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pondex posted:

How do you all feel about eating graveyard-mushrooms?

I went for a walk there yesterday and there was plenty of Coprinus Comatus, which so far is the only edible mushroom I'm confident I can identify.

There was also a patch of some kind of Lactarius that I couldn't figure out. L. Quietus maybe, but the seemed too orange for that. This is in Denmark.

And plenty of Amanitas:

Hej dansk person! Du vil gerne hoppe på Svampeliv/Mycokey-databasen inde på https://svampe.databasen.org/ - hvis du bruger appen kan du endda få forslag til ID i felten.

For everyone's benefit I will now cease herring/viking-speak :denmark: :

Does the milk you pressed out keep being white? If it dries white or sort of greys you have one of the "foxy lactarii" that are hard to ID. Could be l. subdulcis if milk stays white and l. tabidus if the cap centre is wrinkled and dries sort of yellowish on paper. If it turns more brown upon drying that would look a lot like a "fishy lactifluii", specifically Lactifluus volemus. Those would, correctly, have a shellfish-like smell and so are probably not it.

I definitely don't mind graveyard mushrooms. It's been pretty extensively studied if fruit bodies maintain some part of the host they grow on and they don't, so you're not 'eating dead people' in any meaningful sense. I will however never go picking near any grave that's being visited, nor walk over graves to do it, that's just common courtesy.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 12, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

Congratulations! Have a firm but friendly reminder that matsutakes rate as "vulnerable" on the international redlist, so consider leaving some or all of them there, though.

Tias
May 25, 2008

uhh trust me, getting the wrong russulas is NOT a stand-in for peppers or chilis. It's a harsh, very acrid burning sensation that tastes nothing like pepper.

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 9, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Looks like Lepiota, likely L. Brunneoincarnata or L. Helveola. They're a kind of agaric, and likely very poisonous.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

A local vendor at the nearby farmers' market has been able to get morels relatively reliably lately. The last couple weekends they've also had porcini mushrooms too.

Aren't porcinis and other boletes common enough for you to pick yourself where you are? Here (in northern europe) they grow like dirt when in season

Tias
May 25, 2008

The top one likely the artist formerly known as brown birch bolete / Leccinum scabrum, now renamed "scaber stalks / scabrous stalks" in most of europe, yeah. You can tell it's not aspen scaber stalk instead because the scabs on the stalk are black and not white :eng101:

(e: and checking a nearby host species would remove all doubt, birches for the first and aspens for the second)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

If you already have the breading out, make nuggets!