Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Mushroom season has started in Finland!

Well, technically it started a while back, but I refuse to eat Gyromitra, so I just picked them for other people. A couple of weeks ago, we got our first golden chanterelles and more just keep popping up because we've had a good mixture of rain and warmer weather.

And our first boletes also popped up!

We're not the most expert mushroom foragers, but we get by with chanterelles (black and golden), yellowfoot and boletes. I tried looking for morels to extend the season, but no luck, I only found loving Gyromitra :argh: We also grow tree oysters in spent coffee grounds.

I'm planning to give Woolly Milkcaps a go this autumn, because they're really easy to identify, plentiful and apparently keep very well when salted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Just chiming in that removing the slimy covering of a butter bolete.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

What mushrooms do y'all hunt in the winter months? My neighbor's dead tulip poplar puts out a ton of veiled oysters around Christmas, but I don't know what else to look for in the Southeast US before morel season.

Do yellowfeet (Craterellus tubaeformis) grow there? It's what I pick in the finnish winter months since it doesn't mind freezing.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I loving love these types of chantarelles. They pop up through most of the winter in Washington and keep me going outside long after fall chant season has passed. They make amazing pate...

Also I need to get off my rear end and post some pics. We had the GREATEST HAUL of golden chantarelles last weekend after going out with the puget sound mycology society. Got another field trip coming up this weekend too, so we'll have to figure out what to do with the next 5 lbs we find..

Yellowfeet are good eating, have a batch in the drier as I write. The finnish mushroom season has beenvery strange because of the bone dry summer we had. The golden chanterelles that popped up very late in the season were nice and firm, but we found practically no boletes. On the plus side, we did find our first batch of Craterellus cornucopioides (loving impossible to spot even if you know a place) and an area with tens and tens of pounds of Albatrellus ovinus. Also decided to spread out into Russulas, since they're a pretty easy genus to identify and should all be safe around here.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Found my first technically edible mushrooms of the year!

Gyromitra esculenta, sandmorkel in Norwegian. It is an extremely toxic false morel that can prepared for consumption through repeated parboiling, although small amounts of toxic and possible carcinogenic compounds remain. I left them undisturbed, but it was still cool to find them because I've never seen them here before.

I always find a ton of these and always refuse to pick them. I don't want no shrooms that excrete toxic fumes once plucked.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

LtK posted:

Can anyone help me figure out what's in my backyard?

Whereabouts are you? Generally speaking that looks very much like a non-edible.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Hooplah posted:

black trumpets!! i've had no expectation of ever finding these. i was so stoked to even see them, let alone harvest so many. i don't even know what i'll do with them all, but i'll have to dry a bunch

Trumpets are an A+ shroom and drying is the way to go. Quick, easy and succesfull way of storing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Boiling in milk is (apparently) a French method for them.