Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Bookmarked this thread in anticipation of a good fall harvest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

What a handsome little guy

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

This year was awful in Central Europe. In addition to everything you mentioned, the elderberry haul was weak and the blackberries barely came in. Even the nettles looked sad.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I have lots of chestnut groves pinned but I wish I had a lead on more hazelnuts. There are some in a local park but there’s a surprising amount of competition.

Then again, it’s been very windy recently. I should probably go check on some of those chestnuts.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

:3:

:3:

:nono:
edit: i should mention that whatever makes sulphur tufts (the last picture) poisonous to humans, it apparently doesn't harm animals because I came upon a lot of them with their caps clear-cut

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 14, 2019

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

We've found a decent amount of steinpilz, parasols and fairy ring champignons here. Our region has been pretty solid for mushrooms the past few weeks, probably because of some unseasonably warm weather and rain. I've really been wanting to find a hedgehog mushroom though and no luck thus far :(

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Could be an earth ball? Weird surface, almost looks like brain coral. But I’ve never seen one in person.

Also Wikipedia informed me that earth balls are now considered part of the same family as Boletes? Man, mushroom classification is weird.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Well the weather's came and gone and came again, let's check out the woods where we found dozens of good parasols and hmm what's this

oh hey little guy let me just check out yo

oh, uh, a death cap, huh :whitewater:

oh well how about this happy little guy over here

oh, uh, hi potential destroying angel :gonk:

weird, white mushrooms with speckled caps? let me get a closer look

oh god (actually these were neat and I can't figure out what they are, it's a bit hard to tell in the picture but their cap was incredibly glossy and sticky-looking)

Pretty neat how in the span of one month this particular patch of woods went from prime parasol territory to toxin-soaked hellhole! I hope whatever took a bite out of that first one is ok :ohdear:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

My state's mushroom group blowing up with chanterelle sightings but I can't find a single one in my county D:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Just got smooshed by a thunderstorm so I'm thinking tomorrow is going to be mushrooming day. I want some chanterelles dammit

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

There are several good NC mushroom groups on Facebook and they are totally overrun with pictures of ringless honey mushrooms at the moment, as well as memes about how overrun with pictures of ringless honey mushrooms they are.

Edit: I’ve never tried eating them but they’re one of those weird “they wreck some stomachs and are totally fine for other stomachs” so most groups seem to be recommending to try only a little at first if you’re gonna

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 15, 2020

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Not foraging to own the boomers

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah it’s a great all-purpose inspirational book and is entertaining even if you already know about or have access to information about the plants it covers. I liked it because I grew up with many of the same plants but only learned about foraging later in life after moving away, so it was a great way to get a new perspective on familiar flora. Probably still not going to try eating pokeweed.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Stinging nettles are perfectly edible once you boil them, which completely denatures the irritant their hairs contain. It's a fairly popular type of herbal tea where I live, you can buy it in most grocery stores.

I made a really good nettle soup last year with nettles we picked from the area. The prep is more hazardous and it doesn't really taste better than comparable greens but it's kind of a fun afternoon activity. Plus I had just been zapped by some while on a trail run the week prior so it was nice and therapeutic.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Depends on a lot of different things! Sucks that everything's on facebook now but there are probably a few groups in your local area where people will post well-meaning advice that frequently doesn't meet the correlation/causation test. This is my first year looking on the east coast and I found a handful mostly in areas similar to what Fun Pope was saying. I gather that I'm lucky, there's some people on these groups that have been looking for years and not found any.

The biggest single factor seems to be that they show up a day or two after it rains (or maybe that's just when we all get out to look for them). The ones I find are mostly in leaves (but not pulped matted-down leaf mass), and adjacent to but not in areas that frequently have standing water. Also check mulch.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I lived in a place where the mulch they used printed morels like crazy. Never seen anything like it. On the other hand, the mulch where I work now seems to be thoroughly colonized by something in the stinkhorn family.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

We found a nice little patch this past week. No elms nearby, just a lot of sycamores, soil temperature exactly 50 and the day after a rain. The funny thing is we found it by hiking down a hill but someone else clearly had been accessing it by way of a garden hose tied to a tree and used to rappel up from a train track embankment.

But why garden hose and not rope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Donk-rear end mushrooms

and yet it only looks slightly more rude than your average shaggy stalked bolete