Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just got the book with the leering trombonist, hoping to find some morels or other good things here in central New Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Can anyone recommend what type of terrain / vegetation I should be looking in for mushrooms here in New Mexico? We've got lots of juniper and scrubby oak at low elevations, pines and such higher up, and aspen at the highest elevations. There's not a lot of big oaks like I see some people mention in this thread. I've heard you should look in recent burn areas for morels, but I'm wondering if I can find some stuff more locally... maybe down along the river after a rain?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I went mushroom hunting high in the Sandia mountains this morning. I was hoping to find morels but had no luck. I found a couple things that seemed sketchy, plus a few of what I believe are oyster mushrooms and a TON of wood ears.

First, some odd little guys hiding in a dead tree:

Then this weird blob near the base of a live tree. I cut into it to see what it was like, very firm and dense and a little sticky. Flesh felt like it might be edible but I couldn't find it in my book:

Next I found a couple boys hiding inside a live tree right at the base. I cut one out and took a look, couldn't identify it for sure so I left it. Thought it might be an amanita of some sort:

Some more mushrooms I couldn't identify for sure:

(thumb for scale)

Now here are the ones I feel more confident about. I think these are oysters? I found them in two separate groups growing on dead trees. They're pretty small, maybe the size of a half-dollar. Any reason to think these aren't safe to eat?

And here are the wood ears, which I'm pretty much certain on and just have to figure out what to do with them:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the yeti posted:

Indian pipe is a plant but it’s a parasite on fungi so it’s fine here as far as I’m concerned! They occur closely together based on that relationship and healthy populations of Indian pipe are good scouting indicators for how suitable an area is

Yeah, the area that turned up the most mushrooms the other day had Indian pipe all over. Neat plant.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Found a TON of oyster mushrooms today, which proceeded to coat my table in a thick layer of spores when I left them in the pile for a few hours:

We also found some other stuff we didn't quite trust:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the yeti posted:

Those yellow guys are gorgeous but I have no idea what they are. Were they also on the log?

No, they were in the dirt. There was a group of them in one spot, and then that singleton on the other side of the trail.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You can cut it open now and get it identified, or wait a couple days for it to turn into either a dried out puffball or a gooey mess.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Looks like mushroom collecting isn't allowed in CA state parks which seems a little absurd given, like, biology... are there any places you can collect on the SF peninsula, or am I doomed to drive when I want to walk slowly through the woods?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Found these guys on an old stump in the park nearby:

Any ideas? I cut it open, the flesh is light yellow, as are the gills. I trimmed the base of the cap to expose the gills and I'm checking the spore color now.

Not sure if I'd eat them, since they're in a park... on the other hand, there's enough clover and plantain in the grass that they must not be using herbicide...

Edit: spores are pale, cream or light yellow.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 16, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Still haven't figured out what these guys are, but I super want to eat them.

Turns out the spores are actually more a middling brown, I think I was looking at immature spores before. I swiped my finger across a cap that was directly under another and got a thick layer of dark brown spores which quickly dried to a lighter brown.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Maybe Gymnopilus of some sort?

Yeah, that's the closest thing I'd found in browsing mushroomexpert.com. Given the size, I'm wondering if they're Gymnopilus ventricosus, which is apparently inedible and contains no psilocybin, making them of little interest to anyone except in an aesthetic sense.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Boy, those sure look like Omphalotus olearius. Have you taken an actual spore print or are you just basing it on the dust?

They're not O. olearius, the gills do not run down the stem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

eSporks posted:

The rain this year in CA in has been weird. We got our entire avg rainfall in one weekend.

It's been long stretches of nothing with intense but sporadic storms.

It has definitely effected the mushrooms. I haven't seen a single Amanita this year, even in places that reliably produce them year after year.

Interesting, I'm on the SF peninsula and the hill near my house is covered in mushrooms including some really beautiful Amanitas. Haven't found anything I can reliably identify as safe to eat, though, but the Amanitas and the little rubbery purple mushrooms are pretty.