Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I was up at Lake Luzerne, NY in the Adirondacks to do a fall mushroom foraging class this last weekend. I'm a beginner mushroom hunter and I'll be honest, I don't remember the names of everything we found, but here are some pictures.

Cortinarius semisanguinous.

Something that wasn't a ganoderma.

False turkey tail. The underside was nice and parchmenty.

Very pretty gilled mushrooms that were not honey mushrooms.

Look at this weird, shaggy fungus!

I found this huge, young hericium and ate it.

A handsome gem-studded puffball sporulating hither and yon. There are tons of these suckers out there right now (and their tan cousins, and of course the poison pigskins and all those earthballs).

Cortinarius iodes. We also saw Cortinarius violacious and even some real blewits (alas, too buggy to eat).

I forget what this was (aside from not a turkey tail, and not a false turkey tail), but he was a handsome lad growing from the middle of the trail.

I love jelly fungi.

Painted suillus, if I remember right.

A young Amanita muscaria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

extra stout posted:

That sounds like an amazing event, do you remember if that's hericium erinaceus? I've still never seen hericium in person but it looks more like 'lion's mane' than 'bear tooth'. Is the light brown color normal in young fruits? Normally it's the old, very cool either way.

We thought it was americanum, but it was pretty young. It was much more pink in person (that photo was taken under yellow-tinged lights). This is the first time I've actually found one myself, and the others I've seen have all been very white to slightly cream-colored!

(It was delicious.)

I haven't taken pics yet because my camera batteries need charged, but today I found Cortinarius violaceous, pear-shaped puffballs, and way too much hen of the woods! I also found another destroying angel!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

It's maitake time! Also found more small puffballs, some shaggy looking black boletes I haven't identified, amanita muscaria & citrina, and a giant puffball in a local park during a walk today. Gave the puffball away as I already received one as a gift myself this week.

Oddly enough I also found something that looks like fresh ganoderma growing on an oak tree. It's still growing so I'm gonna wait a couple days and see what happens.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

the yeti posted:

That sounds like old man of the woods or a relative!

I have tons of photos to post, just gotta get organized in the midst of panic week at work and rearranging the house :(

Seems to be a relative of the old man; rather than having the old man's white-ish base and dark scales, the whole thing is black or near as. I'll try to find more today after work.