Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nice fairy circle (plus bonus fairy semicircle) in my neighbor's yard (north carolina)

Also the world's most boring bolete, brown on brown on brown (durhamensis?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks to my 3d printer I was finally able to mount a scanner lens I got years ago to my camera, so I can finally take photos of quality mushrooms like this one!

For some reason it made me think of SA.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

So it would seem.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on with this guy? Found near similarly-colored and textured boletes, and it does appear to have pores, but the morphology looks more like a bracket fungus, but it's free standing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Some tiny little orange ones spotted by a nature trail:

And this really weird, uncomfortable-looking one on a dead pine:

Bonus slime mold(?) from the same pine

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That would definitely be cool--I wasn't sure hoe to differentiste between those and goblet waxcaps since the mushroom app hit both.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Definitely what it looks like--no doubt it's smelling now.

I went back to the same trail. Definitely leaning towards at least some of them being chanterelles. Even if I were confident enough in the ID this is too popular a trail with dogwalkers to eat any even if they were bigger.

Also found this tiny purple-and-white one:

This pagoda:

Blue-pored frisbee (I assume a bolete?)

Strawberries and cream:

And there was a cluster of these bright yellow ones which ended up being a lot less exciting up close:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mmm, those look delicious.
Went back to the trail. Orange seems to be a popular color.

There were still some chanterelles but they still look about the same.
Plus there were a ton of these with wrinkly white caps and tiny black stems

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Marasmius seems right! A few others I saw had the more classic cap shape I'm seeing online.
Went back out, but on a different trail. It just rained so there was a good selection.
Tons of corals! I haven't seen these in a very long time.

An earth star! I've only seen the tiny ones before.

Classic LBM

Two buddies (waxcaps?)

Mushroom's paw curls

I guess these are the fruiting body of those fungus that make little spots on leaves.

Yellow chanterelles?

There were also a few jack-o-lanterns which I had never seen in person before. Insanely orange in person!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Went out again, it was a good day for shrooms.

There weren't as many corals on this different path but still a couple.

Normal but still fun shrooms.

Not sure why but nothing says fall to me like these guys.

Spiny puffballs?

There were a trio of these guys. In person it looked like they might have white mold on them but they might just be white.

My favorite find was a big cluster of these green and brown slimy-capped mushrooms.

These looked kind of similar minus the slime and were nearby.

This big weird shroom almost looks like a slime mold--very fleshy appearance and clearly didn't mind growing through plants and pieces of wood.
On my way out I saw what looked like a shiny ball of bronze-colored plastic:

Never seen a mushroom this metallic. Very cool shroom!

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 7, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Showing off a bit of my noobness here but I think this was the first hericium I've seen in person.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nah, the slugs already got to it on the other side, and I'm not quite up to eating wild mushrooms yet (outside of morels).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

How bad poisons are varies a lot from species to species too. Chocolate kills dogs, grapes kill some dogs (seemingly at random), etc etc. Box turtles are edible except they love to eat toadstools and will retain some of the poison for a while and be potentially deadly. A fitting punishment for eating a box turtle.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It must taste awfully good for people to be worth going through all the bullshit and risk for it.

A few weeks back but we found a huge reef of coral mushrooms at a different park. Just tons of them all over.

And these, uh, aggressively gilled fellows.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think fungi are like dogs and just sort of do things arbitrarily.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It might be similar to oaks coordinating to do a mast year where they all produce a ton of acorns followed by less productive years. It prevents the population of things that eat them from being sustained at high enough levels that they just eat all the mushrooms before they put off spores.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Not many shrooms out in NC at the moment but I got a new lens and wanted to try it out. There were still a few bracket mushrooms out with really neat, furry teeth.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Still not seeing a lot of mushrooms here in central NC, but I did spot these guys

Decidedly unwelcome guests on my pear tree.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 7, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Finally, some real mushrooms!

Only fire ants live here now.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Went out my front door just now (half past midnight) and saw a cluster of handsome shrooms that weren't there this afternoon.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think you've got it! Here are a couple higher res closeups, including those greenish gills.

I'll grab some spores and have a look under the microscope in a bit here.
Edit: ok, they're....definitely spores. They look like a similar shape to what I'm seeing for false parasols but I don't have the right kind of microscope to do this properly.

The mushrooms are finally out, so I braved the August heat and went down to the park for a few shots. I am really liking my current lens, though I still need to get better at using it.

There were a few corals where we saw a lot last year, here's hoping more will come.

Lots of classic boring brown boletes.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 24, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oooh, that's a really cool stinkhorn! In comparison the one I saw today just seems....unenthused.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Anyone have a guess on these prominently gilled clusters covering my neighbor's lawn here in central NC?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have bbeen seeing honey fungus everywhere including int hat same yard but these looked different--the head is totally cupped without a distinct cap and the gills are super prominent. Is that just something that varies?
As to trees I'll need to go check, it's mostly pine and oak here with a side of sweet gums. These were all on the grass of course.
Edit: huh, visiting them again there does seem to be a continuous spectrum between these and more classic looking honey clusters good call!

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 12, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

With all the crap people go through to eat them they must be insanely delicious.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Second one looks like a bolete which is a lot less likely to kill you. Look for fine pores under the cap. Jokes aside though don't eat anything you don't have a positive ID on.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The pictured tree appears to be a willow oak btw.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What a haul!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Really broadly, some people can't digest chitin which makes mushrooms difficult. There are also allergies and other sensitivities.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My dad brought one home from a farmer's market and we had it with lunch fried in butter. Truly magnificent.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They look like russulas.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What causes pepperiness in mushrooms? Is it pleasant?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'm seeing some references to using peppery bolete as a seasoning but maybe that was mostly a bad standin for black pepper. Does sound intriguing even if it's awful.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

A couple randos online say they like the peppery bolete, most that it's awful and inedible. Wonder if it's individual taste thing or intraspecies variations. Wish I was more up on shrooms and could try it myself.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

False morels don't resemble true morels all that closely IMO though it is good to use the reliable diagnostics.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

big scary monsters posted:

I still haven't seen a true morel in the flesh :(. Allegedly they grow in these parts but if anyone knows where they aren't saying.
If it helps they are just as good as they're made out to be. Absolutely delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Woah! Those agarics are incredible!