Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

WotC published a CR book so I presume they're on good terms with the show. Whether the CR cast wants to stay on good terms with them in light of recent allegations against WotC, I don't know. But Matt's implied he has things he wants to say and can't so I suspect there's a contract about something or other in place. Maybe it's just about the Wildemount book, maybe it's not. Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

CuwiKhons posted:

WotC published a CR book so I presume they're on good terms with the show. Whether the CR cast wants to stay on good terms with them in light of recent allegations against WotC, I don't know. But Matt's implied he has things he wants to say and can't so I suspect there's a contract about something or other in place. Maybe it's just about the Wildemount book, maybe it's not. Idk

What ARE the allegations, anyway? Are they just the “one of our writers is a rapist/abuser” allegations from a few years back getting more attention, or is this something new? (Note: if it is that, good, because the relative silence from the community regarding all that poo poo was... not great).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just getting around to listening to this week's Narrative Telephone, and "I want you to conjure a cock and go gently caress yourself with it" is one hell of a turn of phrase.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

What ARE the allegations, anyway? Are they just the “one of our writers is a rapist/abuser” allegations from a few years back getting more attention, or is this something new? (Note: if it is that, good, because the relative silence from the community regarding all that poo poo was... not great).

Nah, racism based. A black writer was fired and posted an inside look at the extremely trash culture inside of WotC. They said they were particularly upset about it in light of WotC's post about supporting BLM, which they found hypocritical.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CuwiKhons posted:

Nah, racism based. A black writer was fired and posted an inside look at the extremely trash culture inside of WotC.
The thing I've wondered is, was the culture at Wizards of the Coast particularly bad or is just another case of the culture at more established game companies being garbage and he just happened to have the guts to talk about it?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

weird to see sam dressed like Quentin Quire instead of taliesin

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Not even Sam can sell me on kale.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I got everything I wanted, just had to traumatize our audience to get it :smuggo:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

The thing I've wondered is, was the culture at Wizards of the Coast particularly bad or is just another case of the culture at more established game companies being garbage and he just happened to have the guts to talk about it?

I'm sure it's fairly standard for any gaming company of a certain size. Tabletop gaming is a straight white boys club and has been for a long time. The playerbase changing doesn't mean the employees and the people running the company necessarily change. Video games have the same problem. If you're a woman in the industry then you don't want to work at a place like Riot, which is famously sexist as all hell, but also... so is every other company? You're really just looking for a place that's less bad. I've seen people say CR should stop playing WotC games (because CR is easily 5e's biggest advertiser right now) but I don't know what else they should be playing. I'm not saying CR should just ignore the whole thing and let it blow over, I just don't know what the right thing to do really is.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://shop.critrole.com/products/the-mighty-neins-mollymauk-tealeaf-12-figure-by-mcfarlane-toys-limited-edition

If anyone was interested in the Molly figure.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

okay so

- that's definitely keyleth's mom
- everything about this screams "morkoth's island" except those don't stay in one place and this one has been here long enough to be on maps
- i wonder if the morkoth 'collector' is dead and the island is grounded, but all the weird things it collected are still here

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Let's just leave the Traveler's followers here to worship this new god!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Matt being a troll with that investigation check.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Keru posted:

Matt being a troll with that investigation check.

it pretty much confirms what's going on

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Morkoth

gently caress THAT :ohdear:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Time to fail some saves.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I just want them to go Dino-hunting once before they leave.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
:sparkles:Oh yeah The Traveller is good and just wants to help everybod-

Deception roll= 9

The other cultists do not believe your cult is good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this island may be full of brainwashed people, but those people all seem like they've really made the best out of a bad situation and are legitimately nice

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Awww, good for you, Yasha.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Everyone's in a cult, don't sweat the small stuff :shrug:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
and there it is.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The Morkoth's hypnosis gave Yasha foreign accent syndrome :stonk:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Can we change the thread title to "Help, it's again"?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Getting hints of "Colour out of Space" now.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And we leave tonight with La Llorona about to eat Beau's face off

EDIT: And yes I know it's actually a Bodak

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm sure it's fairly standard for any gaming company of a certain size. Tabletop gaming is a straight white boys club and has been for a long time. The playerbase changing doesn't mean the employees and the people running the company necessarily change. Video games have the same problem. If you're a woman in the industry then you don't want to work at a place like Riot, which is famously sexist as all hell, but also... so is every other company? You're really just looking for a place that's less bad. I've seen people say CR should stop playing WotC games (because CR is easily 5e's biggest advertiser right now) but I don't know what else they should be playing. I'm not saying CR should just ignore the whole thing and let it blow over, I just don't know what the right thing to do really is.

Demanding that CR quit D&D forever also comes with the implicit "Everyone should quit D&D forever" and that's incredibly tone-deaf. How many people use D&D as one of their biggest social outlets? Or have tons of recent happy memories with their friends playing it? Especially as tabletop RPGs grow more and more popular with younger people who use the games to play characters that your WOTC racist dipshits would hate to acknowledge.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I mean I think the idea is that people should switch to one of the other thousands of tabletop rpg rulesets that aren't owned by racist dickwads, but I don't consider that a particularly useful line of thinking either. I like the 5e ruleset and it's one of the easiest systems to teach new people how to play. But there's a shitload of online resources for it too, so I don't have to pay for it. I don't have to give WotC a cent and I can still enjoy a game with my friends. I've played other rulesets (including two Powered by the Apocalypse games, which is one of the most commonly mentioned alternatives) and while they're not bad systems, they're definitely not as well fleshed out as D&D and they're very different experiences. Better or worse depends on the individual games and the individual players.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

CuwiKhons posted:

I mean I think the idea is that people should switch to one of the other thousands of tabletop rpg rulesets that aren't owned by racist dickwads, but I don't consider that a particularly useful line of thinking either. I like the 5e ruleset and it's one of the easiest systems to teach new people how to play. But there's a shitload of online resources for it too, so I don't have to pay for it. I don't have to give WotC a cent and I can still enjoy a game with my friends. I've played other rulesets (including two Powered by the Apocalypse games, which is one of the most commonly mentioned alternatives) and while they're not bad systems, they're definitely not as well fleshed out as D&D and they're very different experiences. Better or worse depends on the individual games and the individual players.
Yeah, I enjoy PbtA but it's a very different experience than 5e.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And I've tried playing some other systems and hate them. I mostly play GURPS now, but I can still appreciate how easy it is for a newbie to play D&D. There are definitely times where having a solid background of mechanics and numbers helps ease the action of playing and keeping things fair in a way that something like FATE struggles with.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think having some level of "everything is written down" can be helpful. I am starting to prefer the "Blades in the Dark" system for making things as opposed to Apoc World which is, for an introduction to roleplaying, a little too freeform.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I don't see them leaving D&D, as much as I'd love it if they did, but I could see them starting a new series (longer than a few weeks) that uses a non-D&D-style system.

Josef bugman posted:

I think having some level of "everything is written down" can be helpful. I am starting to prefer the "Blades in the Dark" system for making things as opposed to Apoc World which is, for an introduction to roleplaying, a little too freeform.

While I understand PbtA the system now, I didn't get it when I was first introduced to the concept. I was still focused on my 4E campaign at the time so the freeform nature didn't click when it was described to me. I totally get it now and I'm a big fan, but I can totally see how people used to D&D would have trouble converting.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Pinwiz11 posted:

I don't see them leaving D&D, as much as I'd love it if they did, but I could see them starting a new series (longer than a few weeks) that uses a non-D&D-style system.

While I understand PbtA the system now, I didn't get it when I was first introduced to the concept. I was still focused on my 4E campaign at the time so the freeform nature didn't click when it was described to me. I totally get it now and I'm a big fan, but I can totally see how people used to D&D would have trouble converting.

I’m running a MotW campaign, and it’s funny: the people not experienced with RPGs picked it up almost immediately (makes sense since it’s a simple system and great for newbies) but the one person who still struggles occasionally is the one who has lots of experience as both a player and DM from 5E.

Edit: I should clarify that I also struggle occasionally because I’m the other person with RPG experience outside of PbtA and sometimes it’s just a thing of thinking in terms of ability checks and stuff like that. I didn’t mean to imply that I’m always fine because I’m just SO knowledgeable and experienced.

TotalHell fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 10, 2020

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Man, ending that episode on a cliffhanger like that sucks. I know they had to because combat can take forever (especially since they are all put of practice) but I won't lie that I wanted it to keep going.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Pinwiz11 posted:

I don't think you'll ever have them start a new series with an entirely different game system that is meant to just... keep going. It'll be short stuff, with a very set planned end after X amount of weeks. Hell even for Deadlands, they didn't have the entire main cast playing right? Most people just don't have the mental bandwidth to handle multiple games a week.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Depends on when this campaign ends, but I could see them changing systems at that point.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Is it just me or have the last 2 episodes seemed shorter than usual? From memory most episodes are 2 hours break than another 2 hours.
These most recent eps are 3 and a bit total.
I don't mind that much just seems strange I guess

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Drint Blasters posted:

Is it just me or have the last 2 episodes seemed shorter than usual? From memory most episodes are 2 hours break than another 2 hours.
These most recent eps are 3 and a bit total.
I don't mind that much just seems strange I guess

They definitely seem a little shorter. Part of it is that they always start on time and the breaks never run long, plus they haven't really gotten bogged down in any long combats yet.

It's also possible that whatever schedule they're filming these on now doesn't allow them to just run over as long as they want like they could on Thursday nights, so they're keeping a better eye on when to stop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Depends on when this campaign ends, but I could see them changing systems at that point.

I don't. D&D is a huge part of the lives of many of their fans. Regardless of what happens at WOTC, the emotional connection with the game and their experiences is completely disconnected from that. Desperately trying to throw out every product that you find out involved the input of someone problematic is a fool's game that can never be won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't. D&D is a huge part of the lives of many of their fans. Regardless of what happens at WOTC, the emotional connection with the game and their experiences is completely disconnected from that. Desperately trying to throw out every product that you find out involved the input of someone problematic is a fool's game that can never be won.

Personally it seems more ethical to try and change something when you can. Doing so around a good end point seems like a decent compromise.

Also, I think having to have a hard conversation about our own standards of consumption is good, even if it is often quite difficult.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 12, 2020