Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«25 »
Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I think Talks is only VOD for Twitch subscribers and Alpha subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonatrix
Aug 16, 2009

You have offended STRINGIE! You must be punished!

There's a couple that are available for free on YT, but they're the exception not the norm. The vast majority are only on Twitch as paid-for content.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CobiWann posted:

Vex is discussing tactics with regards to the Briarwoods and Orion says something along the lines of her coming up with a plan "giving him a half-chub," however the way he says it it comes off that he's talking about Laura, not Vex.

Travis isn't a fan of shopping episodes in general (he jokes about them throughout the campaign) and Orion's actions are causing him to die a little bit inside...however one can literally see the moment immediately after where Travis is ready to lay into Orion. I believe he mumbles "I am going to kill him" at one point as well.

He also openly, non-jokingly starts telling Orion that none of what he's doing matters, and at one point Matt is clearly nervous laughing to hide his frustration with Orion's bullshit.

It's miserable.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

One of the most common roleplaying advice I've been getting throughout the years is that your character's backstory shouldn't try to be more interesting than the campaigns story, since that is what your actual game is going to be about.

And can't shake the feeling that the new campaign is ignoring that, to bad effect, since it weakens the feeling of the players as an actual team. It sometimes feel as if the sessions are just another opportunity for everybody to find out new super special details about every character's super special backstory, while the actual campaign story and the story of them as a team takes a back seat.

e X fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 18:49

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

Hope is a mistake

The best way is to paint a character that you will mostly fill in during play. Have a short little 4 sentence story that sums up the character. Honestly you could probably just use the tables in XGTE if we're talking 5E (or use this website: https://trwolfe13.github.io/tiyl/) I also like to elevator pitch it, "This is a Ranger that is basically Snake Plissken Van Helsing", "I am playing Indiana Jones Luke Skywalker with a crossbow", "I am Lawful Good Kratos" that sort of thing. My Sunday game that I DM takes some inspiration from CR, though, and my sessions tend to be about 1/2 focused on integrating background stuff with some unique opportunities to contribute/"make up stuff" within reason during play, and the other half the meta overarching plot. I try to tie these together. It's been working exceptionally well.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 19:13

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Zo Cubs Zo!

Blockhouse posted:

He also openly, non-jokingly starts telling Orion that none of what he's doing matters, and at one point Matt is clearly nervous laughing to hide his frustration with Orion's bullshit.

It's miserable.

Was that his last session either way? Also what was up with the mirrors?

Dragonatrix
Aug 16, 2009

You have offended STRINGIE! You must be punished!

He was gonna try to make an Archimedes Death Ray, because, well, Silas was a vampire and all. Percy also tried to make something similar earlier and failed.

Dragonatrix fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 20:01

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

e X posted:

One of the most common roleplaying advice I've been getting throughout the years is that your character's backstory shouldn't try to be more interesting than the campaigns story, since that is what your actual game is going to be about.

And can't shake the feeling that the new campaign is ignoring that, to bad effect, since it weakens the feeling of the players as an actual team. It sometimes feel as if the sessions are just another opportunity for everybody to find out new super special details about every character's super special backstory, while the actual campaign story and the story of them as a team takes a back seat.

I mean at this point they're too early in the campaign to really have an overarching story. They're just murderhobos at the moment, wandering from job to job. I don't know how long it will take Matt to decide they're ready to deal with a long form story arc but I'm definitely not worried that it won't be interesting when they do.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CuwiKhons posted:

I mean at this point they're too early in the campaign to really have an overarching story. They're just murderhobos at the moment, wandering from job to job. I don't know how long it will take Matt to decide they're ready to deal with a long form story arc but I'm definitely not worried that it won't be interesting when they do.

Not really? They are on episode 22 now, which means they have around 70 hours of campaigning behind them, besides, you can start an overarching plot from session 1. And like I said, the problem I see is that they made their characters various backstories much more interesting than the actual ongoing story of the campaign. They might call themselves the Mighty Nine, but they don't really have an angoing story as a group, they basically just a collection of individuals, that often feels like they wouldn't even be in a group if that weren't necessary for the game.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I mean early in the campaign in the sense that they're still only level 5 and as Marisha said on Talks Machina awhile back, they do not yet consider themselves a group of heroes whose job it is to solve larger, more dangerous problems. I think they're going to trip headlong into one sooner rather than later, but you have to remember this campaign is likely going to last 3+ years. It's going to be slow going for awhile.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

As it stands, the overarching story has been affecting the Mighty Nein's story even if it hasn't been the driving force. The dark elves, the war, the artifact. It hasn't been front and center for the group, but it does sound pretty interesting and epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

As it stands, the overarching story has been affecting the Mighty Nein's story even if it hasn't been the driving force. The dark elves, the war, the artifact. It hasn't been front and center for the group, but it does sound pretty interesting and epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1F4OduqrtQ

«25 »