Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Mylan posted:

Call me old but I don't understand the point of streamer chats. For the larger ones it's just a loving deluge of comments and emoticons. It's like if someone were to transcribe all the conversations in an auditorium in real time. How does anyone actually read that poo poo?

I'm not exaggerating when I say it's kinda like in the Matrix. If you want to pick out single messages to read, good luck. But a whole bunch of people notice and post the same poo poo and if you kinda unfocus when you look at it you can get more of a vibe of what chat is saying even though you aren't reading any particular message.

That said, I still keep it closed most of the time when I watch streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Abisteen posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I say it's kinda like in the Matrix. If you want to pick out single messages to read, good luck. But a whole bunch of people notice and post the same poo poo and if you kinda unfocus when you look at it you can get more of a vibe of what chat is saying even though you aren't reading any particular message.

That said, I still keep it closed most of the time when I watch streams.

I keep it open for smaller (say sub 200) viewer streams. Chat usually moves slow enough that you can have conversations with other viewers or the streamer themselves.

For larger streams I keep it closed, unless it’s one of the ones that is basically emote only. That’s a decent option if you want to let people react without having to overly worry about people being gross.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah there are some streams where you can actually talk to regulars and have a nice time

critical role is not one

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

DeathSandwich posted:

One of the things I like about Cyberpunk 2020/RED is that they actually have grapple rules that work for sneaking up on someone and putting them in a sleeper hold to knock them out. With D&D it's like "Techinically it's just a grapple and the damage you do is just punching them in the back of the head" and the like. It's not a system that really works with aggressive stealth

Granted, I do want to see what someone can do with the Fighter's Unarmed fighting style that ups unarmed damage to a D8 and you get a free d4 damage dice every turn against a creature you have grappled. It gives you a meathead type of brawler to contrast to monks being more lean dex-y kung fu fighters. One of my 5e Character concepts is a Unarmed Fighter main with maybe a little bit of barbarian for Rage/Con->AC who exists somewhere between Kazuma Kiryu and Zangeif.
I seriously think she might have done better just beating him to death in a grapple, since I don't think the guards had a ton of hp, but she was working with a limited toolset and focusing on not raising the alarm. Fine.

But I hope she invests in some good poisons and paralytics after this to avoid the old acid attack in the future, because that was grim.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I think Marisha was just in the mood to kill a guard, since throwing him in a sleeper hold or punching him a lot while he was sleeping seems pretty foolproof (though I admit in the moment her panic to me seemed like "I totally forgot nonlethal was an option, WTF do I do" to me). Even without d&d being particularly non-lethal stealth friendly, throw 4 attacks at him while he's sleeping, stun him, and indicate to your DM that you're trying to attack as silently as possible. Open up with a grapple to cover their mouth for extra stealthiness.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

PetraCore posted:

I seriously think she might have done better just beating him to death in a grapple, since I don't think the guards had a ton of hp, but she was working with a limited toolset and focusing on not raising the alarm. Fine.

But I hope she invests in some good poisons and paralytics after this to avoid the old acid attack in the future, because that was grim.

I think once you've grappled someone, shoved acid in their mouth and broken their neck the DM should just rule it's over. That was seriously loving grim. I mean, sure D&D doesn't handle it well but there's gotta be someway he could DM fiat that poo poo rather than dragging it out just because "there isn't technically a rule for it".

I mean, I've gotten burned by acid before. An acid that can do 1d6 points of damage a turn or something getting shoved into your throat means an excruciatingly painful death, but not one that takes 5 minutes. Saying it dissolved his neck after a couple turns and his head just popped off would have been less traumatizing.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

seaborgium posted:

I think once you've grappled someone, shoved acid in their mouth and broken their neck the DM should just rule it's over. That was seriously loving grim. I mean, sure D&D doesn't handle it well but there's gotta be someway he could DM fiat that poo poo rather than dragging it out just because "there isn't technically a rule for it".

I mean, I've gotten burned by acid before. An acid that can do 1d6 points of damage a turn or something getting shoved into your throat means an excruciatingly painful death, but not one that takes 5 minutes. Saying it dissolved his neck after a couple turns and his head just popped off would have been less traumatizing.

I think at that point Matt was leaning into the horror movie aesthetic that everyone at the table had inadvertently unleashed.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
So like, after that shitshow I only see a few possible outcomes:
1) The M9 either decide to just take it on the lam and manage to get away, or kill Trent and then book it shortly thereafter. They're now almost certainly persona non grata in the empire, but that's a problem for after they save the world up in Aeor.
2) A significant portion of the M9 dies permanently or is captured in a way that takes them out of the game, at least for a while. If this happens, I think the game becomes "Okay, gently caress, how do we rescue our friends and/or find new ones to go save the world in Aeor, then go murderize Trent"
3) They end up making a deal with Trent, which sets up the next arc after Aeor. Maybe they can talk Trent into helping them turn Lucian into chunky salsa, either himself or by sending some Volstrucker with them, in exchange for (??? something loving bad) afterwards.

But no matter what happens, they can't stay and deal with this now, or else halfway through whatever they're doing, a chunk of a pre-Calamity city full of aberrations is going to fall out of the sky.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I think Astrid wants them to kill Trent but not be in a position to reap political power from it, which makes sense. Dunno if Trent set up the trap, but that also makes sense, as it leaves Astrid in a position where she's not in trouble if they fail to kill Trent.

Mostly I think you have to interpret all her actions through the lens of loving Caleb very much... but then again, she also loved her parents. She's not in a position where positive emotions conquer any doubts or obstacles. She probably was never in that position. She has her hopes and desires, but above them she has self-preservation, fear, and layers of rationalizations.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Marisha has also accidentally done horribly gruesome kills before. Remember Keyleth and Han-Solo-ing a duergar in lava and then "shhh"-ing him?

I think she tends towards a sort of comic ultraviolence and then cringing when she thinks about it; it's probably just one of those D&Disms. If anything it's worse with casters; there's really not a nice, dignified or even quick way to kill people with a lot of spells if you actually apply dramatic weight instead of just seeing it as HP to deplete. Acid arrow, burning hands, lightning bolt...even the venerable fireball is actually pretty drat horrendous!

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 27, 2021

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

eke out posted:

yeah there are some streams where you can actually talk to regulars and have a nice time

critical role is not one

Critical Role has always had a.... special chat. Them removing it from screen in campaign 1 when they did had little to do with how fast it was moving.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TotalHell posted:

It isn’t I don’t think? It would probably cut down on the amount of nonsense, but every session there seems to be a shocking number of people who watch and subscribe to CR and then appear to have nothing but complaints in chat/on Reddit.

And I get it, it’s chat, and people are free to express themselves and offer criticism, it just seems like there are some folks who get really down on the show for insignificant poo poo.
The streamers I've watched who do both Twitch and YouTube are all of the same opinion: YouTube comments/chat might get ridiculous but Twitch chat is frequently absolutely loving toxic if you have any kind of audience.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I don't get why Trent got to freebie counterspell without Caleb getting a chance to counter-counter. It'd be kind of lame if it was set up that Trent got to sneak up on them without any roll or anything.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I figured there was some kind of ward in that room that prevented them teleporting in or out, and that someone (I think it was Travis?) just put it down to counterspell. If he did counterspell though, he got the drop on them and would have had a free action because of surprise presumably.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

It wasn't a counterspell, Matt said at the end of the stream that the blue crystals that Sam grabbed were the cause of the recall failing.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mylan posted:

It wasn't a counterspell, Matt said at the end of the stream that the blue crystals that Sam grabbed were the cause of the recall failing.

I believe that was Sam's extra time to get the crystals meant Trent had time to arrive.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Oh, guess that makes sense.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I'm fairly sure Matt rolled, presumably for the Counterspell, right before he announced that the Word of Recall failed.
As to why Caleb didn't get a chance to counter, maybe it's the surprise, maybe he couldn't see Trent in the darkness.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
If a creature is Hidden or Invisible, you can't counter-spell them (unless you spot them with a high enough passive perception or can see through invisibility), IIRC.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
So, in episode 77, they talk about loving with the Cerberus Assembly, and specifically Trent Ikithon. Caleb warns them that they would be breaking into the residence of one of the most powerful people in the Empire, and Jester says "yes but does he have access to these badass PAINTS?!"

So, next episode, Jester is going to splash Trent with the paint without any purpose and it's gonna gently caress with him somehow. Maybe.

God, this next episode better be insane.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yeah, this was just an extremely bad hasty plan. I mean, Caleb didn't even ask Astrid "are there any guards"? That seems like it would be important information to know. They were completely unprepared for guards, which is strange for a place known to be guarded.

There were just too many unknowns for this to be worth the risk. They also forgot that the anti-scrying amulets require attunement, so everyone would need to give up something they're attuned to now.

Even if they had been able to recall, they were kinda hosed, because that guard would remember the BLUE TIEFLING woman. It wouldn't have been hard to figure out who did it with him around.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, this was just an extremely bad hasty plan.
Are you fixin' to tell me the Mighty Nein didn't think a plan all the way through?

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Trent is a schemer. He also knows that corpses don’t keep the dead people from potentially coming back. And he has three members of the M9 inside a complex designed to keep prisoners.

The only way he kills them is if they force him to. The big X factor is whether the rest of the group can get into place to intervene.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
As much as people were raging at Marisha for splitting up to go onto the tower, it's basically the only reason Outie group gets to stick around without being really blatant metagaming. I still think Caleb, Veth, and Jester can get out with Jester still having 1 more Word of Recall and Caleb + Nott on Counterspell/Globe of Invulnerability/Distracting duty.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

As much as people were raging at Marisha for splitting up to go onto the tower, it's basically the only reason Outie group gets to stick around without being really blatant metagaming. I still think Caleb, Veth, and Jester can get out with Jester still having 1 more Word of Recall and Caleb + Nott on Counterspell/Globe of Invulnerability/Distracting duty.

They aren't going to escape their way out of that mess. They've been caught and identified and there are seven gruesomely killed bodies. Any successful escape means never being able to return to the empire ever again. The only card they have to play is the Nonagon and revealing the eyes on Caleb, but the seven dead bodies means that they're starting out with a poisoned well and no credibility.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Yeah, this was just an extremely bad hasty plan. I mean, Caleb didn't even ask Astrid "are there any guards"? That seems like it would be important information to know. They were completely unprepared for guards, which is strange for a place known to be guarded.

There were just too many unknowns for this to be worth the risk. They also forgot that the anti-scrying amulets require attunement, so everyone would need to give up something they're attuned to now.

Even if they had been able to recall, they were kinda hosed, because that guard would remember the BLUE TIEFLING woman. It wouldn't have been hard to figure out who did it with him around.

I'll take hasty and bad over analysis paralysis. It was a refreshing change of pace and disasters are more likely to create interesting situations.
Heists gone wrong gave us this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W723E1ofhcE&t=13312s

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

You know, I think part of the problem is that Astrid just overestimated how good they were going to be at this. Trent wasn't exactly down in the goal area, if they'd caused less of a disturbance they'd never have crossed paths with him. Astrid was looking at Caleb, remembering his black ops training days, looking at the M9, remembering they'd helped get a peace treaty drawn up and interrupting an extremely dangerous cult launching a ritual that could have decimated Rexxentrum as Tharizdun's influence leaked through stronger than ever, and went, yeah, they can handle this.

She was wrong. They don't do subtle super well, although I think they're better at it then Vox Machina.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PetraCore posted:

You know, I think part of the problem is that Astrid just overestimated how good they were going to be at this. Trent wasn't exactly down in the goal area, if they'd caused less of a disturbance they'd never have crossed paths with him. Astrid was looking at Caleb, remembering his black ops training days, looking at the M9, remembering they'd helped get a peace treaty drawn up and interrupting an extremely dangerous cult launching a ritual that could have decimated Rexxentrum as Tharizdun's influence leaked through stronger than ever, and went, yeah, they can handle this.

She was wrong. They don't do subtle super well, although I think they're better at it then Vox Machina.

She wanted to help Caleb get what he wanted, but she also wanted to accelerate the impending Trent/Caleb confrontation and possibly to throw a huge monkey-wrench into the Cerberus Assembly's stability, taking advantage of the twin pressures of the investigation and Vess' death. Even if Trent's corpse doesn't turn up in the aftermath, the odds that he wouldn't be able to determine that Caleb was behind the heist seem vanishingly small, and he's an evil paranoid archmage. What would you conclude if a group of people like the Mighty Nine stole enough amulets to prevent you from observing them?

For that matter, how might other members of the Assembly react if the Mighty Nine go entirely off-grid? Even if they aren't able to place them in Aeor alongside Essek, who multiple Assembly members know quite well already?

The odds of Caleb not getting destructive in this raid were approximately 0%, IMO. I don't think Astrid wants Caleb dead, but she certainly has to expect he'd be identified as the culprit.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Narsham posted:

She wanted to help Caleb get what he wanted, but she also wanted to accelerate the impending Trent/Caleb confrontation and possibly to throw a huge monkey-wrench into the Cerberus Assembly's stability, taking advantage of the twin pressures of the investigation and Vess' death. Even if Trent's corpse doesn't turn up in the aftermath, the odds that he wouldn't be able to determine that Caleb was behind the heist seem vanishingly small, and he's an evil paranoid archmage. What would you conclude if a group of people like the Mighty Nine stole enough amulets to prevent you from observing them?

For that matter, how might other members of the Assembly react if the Mighty Nine go entirely off-grid? Even if they aren't able to place them in Aeor alongside Essek, who multiple Assembly members know quite well already?

The odds of Caleb not getting destructive in this raid were approximately 0%, IMO. I don't think Astrid wants Caleb dead, but she certainly has to expect he'd be identified as the culprit.
Oh, I completely expect she was aware of that angle and it works out nothing but great for her as long as he can keep ahead of the Assembly. I just don't think she expected it to go this lovely this fast without Caleb even getting off the grid.

EDIT: Like, if nothing else, we know she wants political power more than Caleb does, but Caleb is the 'golden child' who can do more magically, so having him go off the grid and have to ditch the Empire also works out by eliminating a potential rival in such a way that Caleb still owes her a favor for it and she doesn't feel like complete poo poo.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Senjuro posted:

I'll take hasty and bad over analysis paralysis. It was a refreshing change of pace and disasters are more likely to create interesting situations.
Heists gone wrong gave us this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W723E1ofhcE&t=13312s

There are almost always more choices in-between "paralysis" and "murder". It is not a binary, "either-or", situation.

"That" got the M9 banned from Darktow.

What they did the last episode... it wasn't some bandits in the wilds, it wasn't some lawless outlaw land like Darktow or Shadycreek Run, it was a major installation of a very powerful organization who knows how to find and track people, and their families. It's a group which practically IS the Dwendalian empire. There is a difference in the amount of power which can be brought against the M9 and their families/friends. They do not seem to have considered that. Let's hope Matt figures out a way to give the party a lifeline out of their own mess.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

There are almost always more choices in-between "paralysis" and "murder". It is not a binary, "either-or", situation.

What they did the last episode... it wasn't some bandits in the wilds, it wasn't some lawless outlaw land like Darktow or Shadycreek Run, it was a major installation of a very powerful organization who knows how to find and track people, and their families. It's a group which practically IS the Dwendalian empire. There is a difference in the amount of power which can be brought against the M9 and their families/friends. They do not seem to have considered that. Let's hope Matt figures out a way to give the party a lifeline out of their own mess.
Well, I wouldn't say they are the Dwendalian Empire, but given Ludanis is... as old as? the political entity of the Dwendalian Empire if not older and has been working that Cerberus Assembly politics the whole time, I always figured his ideal was to have all the power of the Empire but not have to deal with the annoying 'extremely public figure' and 'day to day statecraft' stuff, and it's only now that King Dwendal is starting to realize that.

Basically I agree, but the stress of the two investigations means this is probably the weakest the Assembly has been in a while, but if Trent is at all smart he's going to try to figure out how to use the M9 to handle the investigation, either by throwing them to the King as the culprits or making them do really bad stuff to take the heat off, so it's also the worst time to pull this level of shenanigans for something that would be a massive boon but probably isn't strictly necessary. Like, being scryed on all the time by Lucien is annoying and inconvenient but not impossible to handle, especially with Fjord's See Invisibility and someone being attuned to one of the necklaces you can basically wave at the orb to dispell it.

Ultimately I think this is so frustrating because the cost-benefit of this was already off and now they're in huge trouble when they need to be focused on stopping the Tomb Takers, but at the same time that at least makes for an interesting story and I'm dying to see what happens Thursday.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

IMO the last episode ruled because the best part of D&D is getting absolutely in the poo poo and having incredible moments of triumph and tragedy result from that.

Also if you don’t enjoy Caleb Vadering his way through a complex, I don’t even know what to say to you.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

TotalHell posted:

IMO the last episode ruled because the best part of D&D is getting absolutely in the poo poo and having incredible moments of triumph and tragedy result from that.

Also if you don’t enjoy Caleb Vadering his way through a complex, I don’t even know what to say to you.

You do have to wonder if Caleb was putting black holes on the ceiling just to be flashy or if he thought that it would be stealthier somehow. Like, I don't know if he counted on the spell ending and the armored bodies falling and clanking around or if he thought there would be a bunch of dead bodies stuck on the ceiling like something out of The Blob.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Sure, some middle ground is generally preferable but seeing as the group has struggled with getting to this sweet spot lately they at least chose the more entertaining of the extremes.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

AngryBooch posted:

You do have to wonder if Caleb was putting black holes on the ceiling just to be flashy or if he thought that it would be stealthier somehow. Like, I don't know if he counted on the spell ending and the armored bodies falling and clanking around or if he thought there would be a bunch of dead bodies stuck on the ceiling like something out of The Blob.
It's even funnier because iirc Caleb has definitely seen that spell used on armored individuals when they first saw it used on the Dwendalian scouts in Xhorhas, so he should know how noisy it is, but it turns out there's a pretty big difference between the noise level of a heated battle involving over 20 people, some of whom are just hooting and hollering, and a black ops stealth mission in an evil wizard torture complex.

Now that I've listened to the full ep I'm pretty sure they'd have been fine loving up if there had been less noise and bustle involved, but that little 'earthquake' absolutely killed their stealth and got Trent heading over, and Fjord's attempt at a distraction made Trent head over much faster. They were literally going to be seconds away from the innie team getting out.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

AngryBooch posted:

The theory I'm hearing passed around is that Caleb really wants Trent to know he can use Xhorhasian magic, which was the whole reason for why Trent set aside a local mental hospital for his gross Wizard Mengele experiments

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

PetraCore posted:

Now that I've listened to the full ep I'm pretty sure they'd have been fine loving up if there had been less noise and bustle involved, but that little 'earthquake' absolutely killed their stealth and got Trent heading over, and Fjord's attempt at a distraction made Trent head over much faster. They were literally going to be seconds away from the innie team getting out.

I thought it was the guy Jester charmed, she technically lost his charm when she used her duplicate. It was just one guy running to alert the others too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I thought it was the guy Jester charmed, she technically lost his charm when she used her duplicate. It was just one guy running to alert the others too.
Oh my god, I keep forgetting which spells are concentration so I missed that. Should have at least tied him up, Jester, that's a basic mistake.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
lol Liam was in Twitch chat saying Marisha is the enemy of all cats now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah all she had to do was keep that one guy in check. Also, someone needs to tell Travis that not every Major Image he creates is some kind of get-the-gently caress-out-of-here terror because once everyone figures out it's fake then they know something's up and possibly even faster than before.