Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Coincidentally I just finished that arc, and she was so much fun. The whole story with the dragon and the heist and everything was cool.

Starting episode 77 now and Fjord is a motherfucking paladin now which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I really love how ominous and sketchy Samleal is. At the very least, he doesn't view Reani as an independent person but a tool for him to use, but even if it's 'just' that, that's extremely bad for Reani.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

PetraCore posted:

I went with celestial pact of the blade warlock, having a lot of fun with it. The tricky part of Celestial is I think not making the patron completely boring, since they're going to be Objectively Good unless you're getting some real leeway. Seems fun to give a non-good character, though, or just have a real clash of personalities. My character's patron is an extremely judgmental unicorn.

The big problem I have with Celestial Warlocks is that they don't get an expanded of different spell list outside the small selection from the pact. So you have a goody two shoes patron teaching you wild poo poo like Crown of Madness or Bestow Curse.

Of course, if you did something like Divine Soul Sorcerer where you gave them the Cleric spell list, they'd be super busted because the selection is so huge.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean there are plenty of angels that would do Bestow Curse or drive people mad by their appearance.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

A bigger problem is a celestial patron granting access to spells like Arms and Hunger of Hadar, which are specifically described as powers bestowed to the warlock from a dying Elder Evil.

In my campaign the warlock's patron is a trickster Great Old One, and I made Hadar (as he is a dying ancient being anyway) too weak to make pacts himself, instead piggybacking on other pacts so it gets just the barest minimum of energy from that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Taeke posted:

A bigger problem is a celestial patron granting access to spells like Arms and Hunger of Hadar, which are specifically described as powers bestowed to the warlock from a dying Elder Evil.

In my campaign the warlock's patron is a trickster Great Old One, and I made Hadar (as he is a dying ancient being anyway) too weak to make pacts himself, instead piggybacking on other pacts so it gets just the barest minimum of energy from that.

Yeah, but that's when it's your job as the DM to reskin the spells so they make sense for the character as described. So Hunger of Hadar becomes Light of Judgement where it's a beam of blinding light they're caught in, with the Cold being the judgement of the gods and the weight of their sins burning at them provides the Acid damage. Same effects mechanically, far different feel.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, but that's when it's your job as the DM to reskin the spells so they make sense for the character as described. So Hunger of Hadar becomes Light of Judgement where it's a beam of blinding light they're caught in, with the Cold being the judgement of the gods and the weight of their sins burning at them provides the Acid damage. Same effects mechanically, far different feel.
Not even just DM, my dm lets me reskin the cosmetics of each spell to my patron and if I picked something like hunger of hadar we'd tweak it appropriately together (I'm only at level 4, I need to level up from 3 before game this week).

I have been allowed to go full unicorn blingee aesthetic and it's wonderful.

Edit: my eldritch blasts are scintillating bolts of light that neigh on impact.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 21, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

PetraCore posted:

Not even just DM, my dm lets me reskin the cosmetics of each spell to my patron and if I picked something like hunger of hadar we'd tweak it appropriately together (I'm only at level 4, I need to level up from 3 before game this week).

I have been allowed to go full unicorn blingee aesthetic and it's wonderful.

Edit: my eldritch blasts are scintillating bolts of light that neigh on impact.

And now we all have some idea what it'd have been like if Jester had gotten to be a warlock instead of a cleric.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Back on topic, it's like how Fjord is still summoning demons now that he's a warlock of the wildmother.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1276198671306985473

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Pre-taped for now for safety reasons and a spiffy physical distancing setup

Considering the numbers out of California, this still seems a bit soon. Hopefully they stay safe.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't know how I didn't think that they'd pretape, but it's nifty that I was right about the "build a good looking social distanced setup." What I'm seeing there looks pretty dang good!

Live is always a bit more fun, but I don't particularly mind the switch to pretapes.

I'm not too worried about the health risks there. I'm very much imagining that there's big ol plastic sheets separating people that won't be seen by the normal cameras, and I'm sure they're cleaning things well before and after. I'd much rather go out to be on that studio than have my experience today of sitting in a tow truck with a guy who's convinced that COVID's a hoax, wasn't wearing a facemask, and moved to my state from Georgia a month and a half ago. If anyone on the cast or crew tests positive I'm sure they'll shutdown for quite awhile as well, and I have to figure they're doing a round of testing before properly starting this venture up again.

Since they are playing it safe, I figure they'll close down at some point anyway if the numbers keep spiking or California scales back what it wants people doing, but I'm very much looking forward to having CR back next week.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

NowonSA posted:

Since they are playing it safe, I figure they'll close down at some point anyway if the numbers keep spiking or California scales back what it wants people doing, but I'm very much looking forward to having CR back next week.

If anything's getting rolled back from another spike it's dine-in restaurants, these kinds of setups have been fully encouraged by both the LA government and the CDC from day 1

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I still think going for a slick online setup would've been the better way to go. We're a long way from any of this being over, and the spikes are gonna get worse.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If they're wearing masks and staying distant, the risks are minimal. This is a droplet-spread virus, not a nerve agent floating in the air. They're not piling into a room with 200 other people shoulder to shoulder with masks off.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Crew's probably going to be wearing masks, but I'll be surprised if the cast does. It's a real missed opportunity if Sam doesn't show off a super pretty Nott doll-face porcelain-looking facemask though.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

NowonSA posted:

Crew's probably going to be wearing masks, but I'll be surprised if the cast does. It's a real missed opportunity if Sam doesn't show off a super pretty Nott doll-face porcelain-looking facemask though.

If nothing else, I would expect a Matt Mercer mask ala

He also has these wonderful images of Laura and Travis to choose from

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 26, 2020

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

NowonSA posted:

Live is always a bit more fun, but I don't particularly mind the switch to pretapes.

I'm honestly not sure what the difference is; it's not like the cast can actually interact with the chat while they're playing, so I've never really felt any difference between the normal shows and the pre-recorded one-shots.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm honestly not sure what the difference is; it's not like the cast can actually interact with the chat while they're playing, so I've never really felt any difference between the normal shows and the pre-recorded one-shots.

Yeah, this is really my feeling. I think the main thing is what Marisha said, in that by pre-recording, they don't have to worry about late night time limits and things. They can do it during the day, keep everyone safe, and have a much better sense of where/how to end the episode without anybody feeling pressured to stay longer than they feel comfortable with - that kind of thing.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Also gives them much more time to rehearse the script before shooting. :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nemo2342 posted:

The biggest thing being live adds as far as I can tell is a palpable feeling that everything is unscripted and off-the-cuff, since you're watching it happen in front of you. They do technically interact with the audience occasionally too, whether it be Sam live-tweeting his ad bits or someone getting the audience to double-check something they can't remember for them. It also meant that Laura could ring in to proceedings and give out to Travis on one or two occasions when she wasn't on-set for a show, since she was watching it live with everyone else.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lucas Archer posted:

Yeah, this is really my feeling. I think the main thing is what Marisha said, in that by pre-recording, they don't have to worry about late night time limits and things. They can do it during the day, keep everyone safe, and have a much better sense of where/how to end the episode without anybody feeling pressured to stay longer than they feel comfortable with - that kind of thing.

Yeah same, not going to miss it at all. Very excited it's coming back next thursday, both in the sense that we're at a really cool time in the narrative and I want to know what happens, and that it'll be a little bit of normalcy.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sam second on NT?

Actually, he's not doing too bad.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pinwiz11 posted:

Sam second on NT?

Actually, he's not doing too bad.

It's about wine so he had a better time remembering.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The use of the work "gently caress" and variations thereof increase exponentially each new person.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'M BEAU
I'M BEAU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
What's crank?
It's the thing you attach to a hurdy-gurdy

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

tsob posted:

The biggest thing being live adds as far as I can tell is a palpable feeling that everything is unscripted and off-the-cuff, since you're watching it happen in front of you. They do technically interact with the audience occasionally too, whether it be Sam live-tweeting his ad bits or someone getting the audience to double-check something they can't remember for them. It also meant that Laura could ring in to proceedings and give out to Travis on one or two occasions when she wasn't on-set for a show, since she was watching it live with everyone else.

In theory with this pre-recorded there should be less issues with people not being available and having to ring in, since they can tape the show outside of the Thursday night slot.

I did forget about Sam (and others) tweeting though, since I've had to bow out of following people live tweeting the show.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I am so glad I watched this live tonight instead of at work tomorrow like I usually do because then I would have to explain why I am laughing so hard.

Edit: MIND PALACE

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 26, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nemo2342 posted:

I did forget about Sam (and others) tweeting though, since I've had to bow out of following people live tweeting the show.

I don't even use Twitter, but they mention it occasionally during a stream, so I just recall it from that. Asking people to double check what they did in a previous episode if they forget, or how many slots they should have left etc. Nothing essential by any stretch, and really, pre-recording it should eliminate a need for that kind of outside help since they can go and check it themselves without being too disruptive, but it's there regardless.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Mage_Boy posted:

The use of the work "gently caress" and variations thereof increase exponentially each new person.

The best part of that is that the word gently caress wasn't even in the original story. The strongest curse is "turdbottler".

Marisha tells a story about how Beau uses cunning and guile to get revenge against a rival winemaker, and it turns into a tale about how Beau drunkenly accidentally ruins a winemaker's entire stock.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I saw this on twitter recently, and now I am a bit concerned.

https://twitter.com/losebetter/status/1276236182049837057

It's probably just twitter gossip, but I am hoping it's not anything too bad.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Im honestly not sure what that persons actual point is.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Im kind of confused about that thread, and I don't want to be insensitive or anything so if I'm missing the mark let me know, but the way I read it:

There's issues in the community with transphobia and types of bigoted behaviour that goes beyond the normal shittiness of the internet and into stalking and harassment territory.
They feel like the cast and crew don't address these issues as well as they should and even encourage the behaviour (without meaning to) with off color or insensitive jokes, showing inappropriate artwork in the showcase, etc?
They put in a lot of work to provide CR ways they could address those issues, of their own volition.
Their contacts at CR are super supportive and thankful for their input and work with them on it.
They feel like the situation doesn't improve fast enough.
They feel like they've put in so much time and effort in as a (impromptu/volunteer?) sensitivity consultant already that should they do any more they should get an official position and be paid.
CR agrees but doesn't take them up on it?

Do I have that right?

I'm not part of the community so I can't speak to that, but the show has always come across to me (as a white cishet dude, I should mention) as super inclusive and the cast and crew really put in the work to make it that way. I'm sure there's very lovely people in the community but that's also not something they can control directly.

This person put in a lot of work to improve the community, but then wanted an official position and compensation to continue that work, which CR didn't want to take them up on, and now feels betrayed or let down? Like, I get that it's a very important issue and I'm sure they did great work, but CR is under absolutely no obligation to then hire them. Especially not some random person from the community that approached them and offered their help for free and willingly.

Again, if I'm missing something (very likely as a white cishet dude not part of the community) let me know, because it's an important and difficult issue, but this person just seems upset that once they demanded compensation for further work, CR didn't want to take them up on it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I haven't been posting in this thread for awhile (I stopped watching because I lost interest in Campaign 2) but I saw that on twitter and I just want to say that if you actually read the entire goddamn thing, it's extremely stupid. The person involved was in some drama awhile back where he was getting relentlessly harassed by homophobic fans, which is 100% terrible, don't get me wrong. But he sent an email to the CR cast about it, basically wanting to make the poor behavior of fans into the cast's problem to deal with. He also claimed he wanted to help them with their 'history of off-color jokes' and that he was a sensitivity consultant, which is a real thing, but I highly doubt he is one. He offered them some advice for free (he doesn't say what the advice was) and claims they were happy with his services (he doesn't say what actions they took in response to his advice so it's unclear if they were actually using him as a consultant - all the discord screenshots he posts are just friendly conversations). Then several months in, he realized 'oh wait, this is a job people get paid for' and asked CR to cut him a check. They declined and he claims they started ghosting him.

If you want to get hired as a sensitivity consultant by a company, send them a resume. Don't start doing volunteer work for free and then ask for a paycheck later. Also, the CR fanbase containing homophobic assholes is not CR's fault. They're extremely LGBT+ positive so I don't know how much clearer they can make it that they don't support homophobia.

Also the 'history of off-color jokes' stuff? He doesn't mention any specifics on what that is in this twitter thread but he's been associated with a particular Tumblr post that supposedly lists CR's many instances of queerphobic jokes and comments. It lists dozens of things and maybe two or three of them are actually worth discussing. I mean for god's sake, the first thing on the list is that Liam and Sam joking about being married is homophobic because it implies gay men cheat on their spouses???

Basically if this person can actually pull receipts and show clear proof that the CR cast really did take advantage of him, then sure, I'll eat my words. But right now, I think he's absolutely full of poo poo and was just trying to turn a buck on being harassed by the fandom. The cast didn't bite, now he's mad about it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It's hard for me to get too upset at CR because they've had some off-color jokes or bits that may have offended you. If the "bi-president" bit and showing artwork with different racial features is what you're throwing out there as an example of that, that just seems like weak tea to me.

Them not being willing to pay this person is the closest it gets to being a problem to me, but with their fanbase they have swarms of free labor of various kinds if they wanted it. A queer person got in touch with CR about how their fans were bullying them, and CR responded by taking the input of someone who I figure was at best one step away from "some random internet person" for a long time. If the CR team is willing to invest their time in hearing someone out like that, I can only see that as a net positive. I'd also only expect payment to be deserved if they were putting a LOT of hours into working on ideas/plans for how CR could improve in this area. Just pointing out "I was offended by this, this, and this" doesn't make the cut for me.

It's also worth keeping in mind that CR was such a success that they could have actively avoided using their public platform to advocate for gay/queer causes or implementing that as a very present part of their world or characters, and they would have been just fine. The demographics are broadening every year, but they could have stuck to doing things that make straight white guys comfortable and done very well.

I appreciate that they're doing things to help marginalized communities and depict them in their campaign. I'm also not going to hold their feet to the fire for not doing that perfectly.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 26, 2020

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Them not being willing to pay this person is the closest it gets to being a problem to me
Honestly, even from their own tweets it sounds like this person was never actually hired for anything. It reads like they reached out to CR. Someone from CR responded and they had a dialogue. And at some this person went "I'm a consultant, pay me". It's all kind of weird.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Honestly, even from their own tweets it sounds like this person was never actually hired for anything. It reads like they reached out to CR. Someone from CR responded and they had a dialogue. And at some this person went "I'm a consultant, pay me". It's all kind of weird.

Yeah, it's not even an issue for me with how it's laid out, but since I'm not buying their "but CR isn't doing enough for black/gay/bi people" position I could at least buy their "I should've been paid" position if they posted evidence of having done shitloads of work, beyond just talking with them a bunch.

After reading so much lovely news on twitter between how cops are responding to protests and loads of wrestlers facing serious abuse allegations, it's refreshing to see a twitter thread like this that ultimately just makes me like CR more because they listened to this person's perspective.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

I haven't been posting in this thread for awhile (I stopped watching because I lost interest in Campaign 2)
I don't know why you lost interest obviously but I'll say that C2 has a nice change of focus around Ep.50 or so and starts the type of mid-levels shenanigans that were a staple of C1. Everyone's much more comfortable with their characters too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Hulk Smash! posted:

I don't know why you lost interest obviously but I'll say that C2 has a nice change of focus around Ep.50 or so and starts the type of mid-levels shenanigans that were a staple of C1. Everyone's much more comfortable with their characters too.

I don't remember what episode it was specifically where I stopped but it was around when they were sailing around on the oceans somewhat aimlessly. The last major thing I remember is Caduceus one-turn killing an enemy ship and Matt being at a total loss.

I did hear that it got better later but right now it just feels like such a backlog to catch up on? I probably should have used the hiatus to catch up but I didn't and now we're here. Part of my problem is that I just don't care for some of the characters at all. I really dislike Nott and I find Caleb quite dull as well.

Edit - I'm wrong, I have a very clear memory of them trying to tunnel their way to Xhorhas and actually making it through. They were in Xhorhas when I quit.