Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

They also probably wanted to put the announcement in the session itself so that it would reach the largest possible number of viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I also figured they want to keep their buffer intact or whatever for now, instead of dropping to filming one week in advance.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

My assumption was that one or more cast members had to cancel last minute so they just decided to call off filming the episode.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
There was a problem when they were recording the newest NordVPN spot and they're still trying to get Sam out of the internet. Hopefully they have him out in time to record next week's episode.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

He's a bit too fond of gleaming that cube, if you get my meaning

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I was in the same boat then too. I caught up with 100 right before they made the announcement to shut everything down. I kinda lost track at that point and just caught up again with the next 11 episodes this past couple of weeks.

I'm at least in North America so it'll be easy to catch the next episode live.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one this unlucky. Going from half a year of binging straight into several months of nothing was downright painful.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Abisteen posted:

There was a problem when they were recording the newest NordVPN spot and they're still trying to get Sam out of the internet. Hopefully they have him out in time to record next week's episode.

Just type in Swordfish.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Hulk Smash! posted:

Just to mess with Tal, Molly should now have a perfect Irish accent :v:

Ha I didn't think of that, that'd be great. I've seen enough crazy Mercer voice acting to think he's got a good Irish accent in him, and I'm sure a couple of NPCs along the way must have had one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why would Molly having an Irish accent mess with Taliesin, out of interest?

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

tsob posted:

Why would Molly having an Irish accent mess with Taliesin, out of interest?
Taliesin spent a long time trying to master the accent before Molly was killed .

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Was Molly's normal speaking voice supposed to be Irish? Or was he practising some accents at times and I've forgotten it? It's definitely not an offensively Irish accent if it's the former, but I wouldn't have pegged it as Irish either if it is.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

There were a few times on Talks when Molly's "Irish" accent was mentioned and the rest of the cast all joked "what accent". Tal has also said that he was using the character as an opportunity to practice it. Not one of his best is putting it mildly.

No one would be blamed for thinking that there was never an Irish accent for Molly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The problem with accents to my mind is that a lot of the time any accent without strong emphasis is basically universal, and that even if there is some regional strength in an accent you are kind of deaf to it if you're from within that region since you're so used to it. I'd never have said Molly's accent was Irish, but at the same time the fact his voice never pinged for me in a "what the gently caress is that?" manner would make me think "yeah, that's a decent effort", and at the very least it was never a parody of the Irish accent the way most actors end up falling in to when trying to imitate the accent. I do wonder what region he's taking inspiration from though, now that you bring it up, since it's not from one of the areas of Ireland with a more obvious/strong regional accent like Dublin, Cork, Donegal etc. Not unless his effort was so bad it missed it completely I guess. Irregardless, those areas would also be the largest, most populous and most popular areas to take inspiration from, I suppose at least partially because they are stronger and have easier audible cues to take.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

On Talks this week Ashley mentioned something called the "sun spire" in regards to her past and her wings. I don't exactly remember that she said sun spire but it was something like that. Anyone know what that is about? Something to do with the Storm Lord?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Drint Blasters posted:

On Talks this week Ashley mentioned something called the "sun spire" in regards to her past and her wings. I don't exactly remember that she said sun spire but it was something like that. Anyone know what that is about? Something to do with the Storm Lord?

I think she said Sky Spear? I think it was her old clan, but I’m not sure.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

hollylolly posted:

I think she said Sky Spear? I think it was her old clan, but I’m not sure.

Yes, that was her old clan, the ones she feels she betrayed by not marrying the right person, and then running away from her scheduled execution.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Right, thank you. I didn't know her clan had a name so got confused when she mentioned it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Drint Blasters posted:

Right, thank you. I didn't know her clan had a name so got confused when she mentioned it.
More specifically, I think Sky Spear was the leader of her clan, who enforced the strict rules and picked marriages out for people. We don't know what Yasha's actual clan was called.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

PetraCore posted:

More specifically, I think Sky Spear was the leader of her clan, who enforced the strict rules and picked marriages out for people. We don't know what Yasha's actual clan was called.

It was called the Dolorav Tribe.

Fun fact, the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount has some stuff about the Dolorav Tribe and their current status.

Someone, possibly/probably Yasha under Obann's control, massacred them.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
No episode this week either:

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1313163624484163584?s=20

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Keru posted:

No episode this week either:

I wonder wtf is actually going on, considering they won't say what's up and aren't even committing to returning next week

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It might be some new thing they have to change at the studio to accomodate a change in Covid 19 work enviroment rules, maybe?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Keru posted:

It might be some new thing they have to change at the studio to accomodate a change in Covid 19 work enviroment rules, maybe?

There's been no real changes to the CA work rules, so if it is a change like that it's something they all decided on.

After watching Talks Machina, I did think it was odd that their rules require Matt and Marisha to take different cars to the studio. They're married and live together, it's not like taking the same car is going to change anything about their proximity to each other.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

seaborgium posted:

There's been no real changes to the CA work rules, so if it is a change like that it's something they all decided on.

After watching Talks Machina, I did think it was odd that their rules require Matt and Marisha to take different cars to the studio. They're married and live together, it's not like taking the same car is going to change anything about their proximity to each other.

I think that's just them setting an example.

It's pretty clearly a COVID-related issue. Probably have to go into lockdown because a staff member was exposed, and don't want to tell the world because the internet will freak out about it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Marisha_Ray/status/1313204852848119808

This feels a lot like "somebody had to bump a shoot date once or twice, and we didn't have any backups that worked for everyone". End of the day, despite the money and fandom, they're their own bosses. Which means they, like any tabletop game or intramural/pickup sportsball group, are accountable only to each other.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Oh dear. I hope everything is ok :(

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Jetrauben posted:

It seems like it is. My guess is that they have a very limited shoot schedule. During the last Tallks, it sounded like they shot a whole lot of episodes at once, or very quickly, and ran out their backlog.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jetrauben posted:

There's a tweet right above you saying everything is okay

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Paracaidas posted:

This feels a lot like "somebody had to bump a shoot date once or twice, and we didn't have any backups that worked for everyone". End of the day, despite the money and fandom, they're their own bosses. Which means they, like any tabletop game or intramural/pickup sportsball group, are accountable only to each other.

Yeah, despite the success of Critical Role they're all still very prolific actors/producers and do a lot of other work; so with everyone trying to fit any work they are doing in around their lives at home between taking care of family and other obligations it probably makes it even harder to find a spot in the calendar where everyone is free. Superficially it seems like it should be easier, since everyone is home all the time and there's no office work but with no office work they're mostly doing the same work load, but just doing it at home, where they have partners, kids, pets etc. and have to be teachers and babysitters all the time rather than having it off-loaded to schools or child-minders of some kind for part of the day while they work. So they presumably have even less time, rather than more.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I started listening to this show over last winter at my 12 hour factory job. I started with Campaign 2 first after a friend who knows my taste told me to start there. I did just that, and it took me a few months to get caught up on the show as I really enjoyed it. I now want to try to jump into Vox Machina. I'm having trouble with it through, as the audio for the earliest episodes is kind of crap quality and hard to hear at work. There are also some other issues I'm having, including having issues just having it keep my attention. My same friend said she has the same issues with the earliest episodes and recommended that I just read recaps up until somewhere in the twenties and then start listening again.

Do I really miss anything if I make that skip?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

The two areas of speculation I have seen about the delays both revolve around Sam.

The first (and clearly the only logical) is that he is performing on the Masked Singer as Baby Alien, and there are shooting conflicts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG2wAZLHLZ8

The second is that his wife is doing location-scouting and thus all child-care commitments fall to him.

But of course they are just rumors.

Either way, I can see that during this arc especially, Matt would want to make sure that they were all there.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
No, that's exactly what I did and I do not in any way regret it. I went back during the hiatus and the quality just isn't there. Start in the Briarwood arc, go back when you need a fix and nothing else is out there.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

redbrouw posted:

No, that's exactly what I did and I do not in any way regret it. I went back during the hiatus and the quality just isn't there. Start in the Briarwood arc, go back when you need a fix and nothing else is out there.

While there are some good bits in the first part of Season 1, and it does establish a couple of characters, they really hit their stride in the Briarwood arc and it's perfectly fine to start there.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This Clarota slander will not stand.

But yes, you're fine to skip ahead. The plus side is that the characters in C1 are all pretty intentionally broad, especially towards the beginning, so you're not missing much.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Plan Z posted:

So I started listening to this show over last winter at my 12 hour factory job. I started with Campaign 2 first after a friend who knows my taste told me to start there. I did just that, and it took me a few months to get caught up on the show as I really enjoyed it. I now want to try to jump into Vox Machina. I'm having trouble with it through, as the audio for the earliest episodes is kind of crap quality and hard to hear at work. There are also some other issues I'm having, including having issues just having it keep my attention. My same friend said she has the same issues with the earliest episodes and recommended that I just read recaps up until somewhere in the twenties and then start listening again.

Do I really miss anything if I make that skip?

Its pretty common, probably either e24 or e27. Theres a few things that get refernced from before that but nothing too huge. It probably is worth listening from 15 onwards at some point even if not straight away imo

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There are absolute gems pre-Briarwood and since I was watching weekly since single digit episode count campaign 1 it never bothered me audio wise. But the suggestion of just jumping in at Briarwood and then treating the earlier gems as one shots when you need a fix is about the best compromise you can do.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paracaidas posted:

Also they still earn their money from being voice actors, and as a voice actor in LA you are always on the hustle. Sam and Liam still write/direct shows as well, I believe.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Thanks for the tips, I think I'm going to make the skip. The big problem is that I work in a factory, and the background noise just drowns out a lot of voices. It's not ear-splitting (I had no problems with campaign 2), but it's enough to make me miss important stuff. I can't tell what people are saying half the time, and there are moments where chip bags and panicked people shouting end up completely drowning out other people when they're talking. By the time I could clearly hear someone talking again, I'd be like "Wait, what happened?"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I started watching Vox Machina (from ep1) after having caught up on The Mighty Nein, currently on episode 8. So far I can tolerate Orion even though he clearly gets on Matt's nerves with his butting in and constant attempts to cast two concentration spells at once. Tiberius is a fun character when he's not trying to steal the show out from under someone else. Does he get more and more unbearable as the show goes on, or is it a constant baseline level of cringe up until he's gone? I know there's some stuff about him trying to horn in on Percy's storyline, but is that something that causes actual conflict at the table, or is it just something that fans are annoyed by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Volte posted:

I started watching Vox Machina (from ep1) after having caught up on The Mighty Nein, currently on episode 8. So far I can tolerate Orion even though he clearly gets on Matt's nerves with his butting in and constant attempts to cast two concentration spells at once. Tiberius is a fun character when he's not trying to steal the show out from under someone else. Does he get more and more unbearable as the show goes on, or is it a constant baseline level of cringe up until he's gone? I know there's some stuff about him trying to horn in on Percy's storyline, but is that something that causes actual conflict at the table, or is it just something that fans are annoyed by?

Yes, he becomes more and more unbearable and there is a clear flashpoint that pisses off not just Matt but also makes the entire table super uncomfortable and soon after he’s gone.