Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Volte posted:

I started watching Vox Machina (from ep1) after having caught up on The Mighty Nein, currently on episode 8. So far I can tolerate Orion even though he clearly gets on Matt's nerves with his butting in and constant attempts to cast two concentration spells at once. Tiberius is a fun character when he's not trying to steal the show out from under someone else. Does he get more and more unbearable as the show goes on, or is it a constant baseline level of cringe up until he's gone? I know there's some stuff about him trying to horn in on Percy's storyline, but is that something that causes actual conflict at the table, or is it just something that fans are annoyed by?

At one point near the end Orion does one of the most irritating things a player can do, which is try to leverage their PC's background into an advantage that not only throws the entire adventure off the rails, try to claim an advantage the PC doesn't really have a right to claim and more importantly would put the entire spotlight on Tiberius. Laura can't help but throw shade at him and Travis is large enough I would be concerned if I saw him fuming like that. At that point I noticed Orion had also this little 'who, me?' look he'd bring out whenever people called him on stuff.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Dawgstar posted:

At one point near the end Orion does one of the most irritating things a player can do, which is try to leverage their PC's background into an advantage that not only throws the entire adventure off the rails, the PC doesn't really have a right to claim and more importantly would put the entire spotlight on Tiberius. Laura can't help but throw shade at him and Travis is large enough I would be concerned if I saw him fuming like that. At that point I noticed Orion had also this little 'who, me?' look he'd bring out whenever people called him on stuff.

I wish someone would make a highlight video of the moments that episode, I was multitasking and I missed Travis's anger.

...is there a "decline of Orion" video?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I only made it to episode 6 so I think I missed any real inciting stuff, but he seemed kind of insufferable. I legit caught up to around episode 100 of campaign 2 before I even knew he was once part of the show. He seemed like the type of player who couldn't stand to not be a part of any sort of scene and was constantly interjecting himself into every aside.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Lucas Archer posted:

Yes, he becomes more and more unbearable and there is a clear flashpoint that pisses off not just Matt but also makes the entire table super uncomfortable and soon after he’s gone.

You know, I watched the first couple episodes where he's gone and it seems like Orion really had to skip the first week for his birthday. The rest of the group then realized that they were having much more fun without him and so they just kept him gone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plan Z posted:

I only made it to episode 6 so I think I missed any real inciting stuff, but he seemed kind of insufferable. I legit caught up to around episode 100 of campaign 2 before I even knew he was once part of the show. He seemed like the type of player who couldn't stand to not be a part of any sort of scene and was constantly interjecting himself into every aside.

One of his more annoying sins was wanting to roleplay his shopping trips, which are fine when the whole group does it (as the M9 have done at least once I can recall) but it was just Tiberious looking for magical whatever and having played and run enough games it is absolute death to the session.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

One of his more annoying sins was wanting to roleplay his shopping trips, which are fine when the whole group does it (as the M9 have done at least once I can recall) but it was just Tiberious looking for magical whatever and having played and run enough games it is absolute death to the session.

Definitely a thing most of the cast does though. I think real worst sin was making the real living people at the table uncomfortable.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Given Sam, Liam, Travis, and Laura are all parents, I sort of figured something would come up sometime anyway, even aside from them all being working professionals. It's nice to have a clear timeline but life doesn't always give you that.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

From what I've read, it's sort of like "a bunch of people aren't into confrontation but they finally lose it when one of them confronts the problem."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I think they've handled the Orion stuff really well by just not commenting further on it, though. I mean, I'm a sucker for secondhand drama but they're absolutely in the right for not wanting to publicly dissect how a close friendship fell apart, what they think of him now, etc. My impression from just what you hear and see in-game is that in-game tendencies of Orion's that had been annoying but tolerable in a private game got a lot worse once there was an audience and that out of game issues meant removing him from the game was the final straw for the friendship, but that nobody needs any more details than what Orion himself was willing to give and reading between the lines from there. Giving any more details just makes the fallout worse and allows for more bad faith interactions.

EDIT: Like I don't get the impression Orion was cheating as blatantly before the stream? But the audience made it something he could 'win' in his mind, and the other cast members being cognizant of the audience made it go from 'this is annoying' to 'holy poo poo, this is unprofessional' when he pulled some of his worse stuff.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

the JJ posted:

I think real worst sin was making the real living people at the table uncomfortable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mB-aM2bIBk&t=5487s *shudders*

It is kind of amazing how universal " lovely player" behavior seems to be. The bad player's I've had the misfortune of sitting at a table with all did the exact same poo poo Orion did.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
From everything I've read (not having actually seen the worst Orion episodes yet) it seems like he probably got canned for this with all the other stuff being a contributing factor:

Travis had to step in to apologize to that person on Orion's behalf and tell them everything was fine. He was never on the show again and in fact the first episode without him was the next day. Pissing his friends off is one thing but publicly going after fans is like unrecoverable territory.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Volte posted:

From everything I've read (not having actually seen the worst Orion episodes yet) it seems like he probably got canned for this with all the other stuff being a contributing factor:

Travis had to step in to apologize to that person on Orion's behalf and tell them everything was fine. He was never on the show again and in fact the first episode without him was the next day. Pissing his friends off is one thing but publicly going after fans is like unrecoverable territory.
Holy poo poo. I can understand not wanting someone to use your character's name on a sellable thing without permission, but it's also clearly someone who really likes his character and was just trying to show how much, and Orion comes in guns blazing.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I remember Orion going hard in on things like that because he was also at the same time beginning to try and get his own show based off of Tiberius going, named The Knights of Draconia. Things probably spiraled out of control from a combination of that, his at-table behavior and the outward poo poo against fans.

There's a whoooole bunch of later stuff once he was decoupled from CritRole, like him starting a charity drive for a fan and suddenly starting to show off new stuff he bought on streams. It's a whole mess and the dude seems like a born grifter who absolutely cannot understand that he's doing anything wrong.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Raygereio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mB-aM2bIBk&t=5487s *shudders*

It is kind of amazing how universal " lovely player" behavior seems to be. The bad player's I've had the misfortune of sitting at a table with all did the exact same poo poo Orion did.

If you watch closely I think you can see the light leave Taliesin's eyes. Also another example of Travis being Unhappy.

The Draconia thing was what I meant when he tried to leverage his background into stuff he shouldn't get. If you went back further and watch Matt when Orion talks about having an army they can call on, you can see a very 'yeah, we're gonna have to talk about' GM expression.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 6, 2020

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Dawgstar posted:

If you watch closely I think you can see the light leave Taliesin's eyes.

He even drops out of character and says "That's just weird." in his own voice.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it really is fortunate they got rid of him as quickly as they did

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

My unironic favorite Tiberius moment was attempting to bluff his way past mindflayers by making an illusion of himself as a mindflayer, forgetting the fact that mindflayers are powerful psychics and ending up completely stranded from the rest of the party for nothing during a boss battle.

It was all downhill from there, however, as I realized this wasn't just an in-character affectation...

EDIT: Rewatching that clip to catch everyone's reaction - and the reaction of slightly earlier with the Knights of Draconia stuff - just reminds me how good Matt's poker face is.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 7, 2020

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

seaborgium posted:

After watching Talks Machina, I did think it was odd that their rules require Matt and Marisha to take different cars to the studio. They're married and live together, it's not like taking the same car is going to change anything about their proximity to each other.

It's normal for corporate insurance to require that two executives not share the same car, since car wrecks are one of the leading causes of death.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I've said it before but my favourite/least favourite Orion moment isn't that one everyone knows but when Vex is given a really hard skill check to hit an object thats very important and the entire situation is ultra tense and roles a miracle 24 or something and literally a second after her excited announcement of her role Orion yells "I cast telekinesis to aid her!" and Laura is so loving pissed saying essentially "let me have this!"

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elarLmuDtzU

From about 1:35:40 in.

It was a 35, so like... Utterly impossible that she would have failed.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If anyone is skipping into S1, I strongly recommend watching s1e12, Vox Moronica. It isn't canon and was a how to dnd episode to encourage new players where they did a one shot with some guests. Tbe one shot is hilarious and is the back half of the episode if you want to skip around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8EcS0WYbuc

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Folks, it's unhealthy to dwell on the past. Be like CR, and kill it if you have to.

edit: vvv close second to Spurt.

redbrouw fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 7, 2020

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I will reiterate that the Slayer's Take team with Vex, Grog, Percy, and Scanlan is a very good pre-Briarwood set of episodes. It takes the time to introduce Zahra and also Felicia Day's character is one of the best guest characters they've ever had.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I was so disappointed when I learned that Felicia Day never made a second appearance, her character was hilarious.

I would love to see more one-off episodes like To the Poop or Liam's thieves guild thing, with guest players or even DMs to take the load off Matt. Dndads' Beth May paired with Laura Bailey would be hilarious.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Government Handjob posted:

I would love to see more one-off episodes like To the Poop or Liam's thieves guild thing, with guest players or even DMs to take the load off Matt. Dndads' Beth May paired with Laura Bailey would be hilarious.

God. My dream would be to get Laura Bailey, DnDaddies Beth May, and NADDPODs Emily Axford together at a table. It'd be chaos in the best sorts of ways.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If we're going for maximum hilarious female chaos crew energy and getting players from all over the D'n'D Actual Play scene, then get Dragon Friends' Alex Lee in there too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

tsob posted:

If we're going for maximum hilarious female chaos crew energy and getting players from all over the D'n'D Actual Play scene, then get Dragon Friends' Alex Lee in there too.
That plus Mica Burton's Reani as the straight man.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

tsob posted:

Also Demi. Just full goblin brain mode.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bring back Deborah Ann Woll permanently

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also Demi. Just full goblin brain mode.

demi plays a character who wants to use caleb's body transformation spell to remove enough ribs to selfsuck

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Lid posted:

Bring back Deborah Ann Woll permanently

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Those players are all amazing, but if you did put them all in the same party you would have to have DM's you could sub in when one can't handle it anymore. No one person could handle that kind of energy.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Edit: Think I've said this before, but it really does bear repeating.

It's a bit of a petty issue compared to Orion's actual toxicity as a player, but Tiberius being gone also allowed Percy to shine as the party's Actual Smart Guy. Having a dedicated INT spellcaster around can suck up a lot of oxygen for conventional drama since they have so many tools to just render the conventional narrative demands of a story pointless. Percy's INT gets put to good use on many occasions but his tinkering is still within the realm of having to pay attention to the rest of the world, as opposed to just loving off and wizardbraining poo poo with polymorph, scry-and-die or planar manipulation cheese. Which can be a real problem when parts of the party don't have high-magic solutions.

I'm kind of impressed Caleb hasn't thoroughly broken the game over his knee with wizard cheese, to be honest.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 7, 2020

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Liam is in it strictly for the role play, so I can't see him trying to do overpowered game breaking wizard stuff.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Jetrauben posted:

Edit: Think I've said this before, but it really does bear repeating.

It's a bit of a petty issue compared to Orion's actual toxicity as a player, but Tiberius being gone also allowed Percy to shine as the party's Actual Smart Guy. Having a dedicated INT spellcaster around can suck up a lot of oxygen for conventional drama since they have so many tools to just render the conventional narrative demands of a story pointless. Percy's INT gets put to good use on many occasions but his tinkering is still within the realm of having to pay attention to the rest of the world, as opposed to just loving off and wizardbraining poo poo with polymorph, scry-and-die or planar manipulation cheese. Which can be a real problem when parts of the party don't have high-magic solutions.

I'm kind of impressed Caleb hasn't thoroughly broken the game over his knee with wizard cheese, to be honest.

Tiberius was a sorcerer and therefore Charisma based. If I recall he had middling intelligence and no actual personal charisma so he wasn't valuable and unpleasant to watch.

Edit: 5E is also a little more merciful on how game breaking Full Spellcasters get, and while I have no doubt a level 18-20 sorcerer really could've hosed with the narrative I think Tiberius was already sorely handicapped by a 4 Wisdom, some comically bad spell choices, and being the worst kind of Full Spellcaster in the system.

Malpais Legate fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 7, 2020

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Malpais Legate posted:

Tiberius was a sorcerer and therefore Charisma based. If I recall he had middling intelligence and no actual personal charisma so he wasn't valuable and unpleasant to watch.

Point. I think I used "INT based" when I meant "arcane caster." My point was more that arcane casters' whole thing is not having to be conventionally clever and having lots of outside context solutions.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 7, 2020

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

OmniBeer posted:

God. My dream would be to get Laura Bailey, DnDaddies Beth May, and NADDPODs Emily Axford together at a table. It'd be chaos in the best sorts of ways.

This would make up for a lot of 2020.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

Liam is in it strictly for the role play, so I can't see him trying to do overpowered game breaking wizard stuff.

This, I'm pretty sure metagaming is complete anathema to Liam. There've been several times where he's gone "but my character doesn't know this, I know this, so it doesn't matter it's what he'd do."

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Liam strikes me as the kind of player who would rather their character die than do a really cheesy metagame move just because it'd be better ennui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

HoboTech posted:

Liam strikes me as the kind of player who would rather their character die than do a really cheesy metagame move just because it'd be better ennui.

KEEN

MIND