Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

redbrouw posted:

KEEN

MIND

But that just allows for more roleplay!

Edit: Also I just remembered this is the guy who played "120ft of flight, sneak attack, and 3 ranged attacks per round + haste" Vax so I realize I'm totally wrong.

HoboTech fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HoboTech posted:

Liam strikes me as the kind of player who would rather their character die than do a really cheesy metagame move just because it'd be better ennui.

I like to imagine that Liam (and Taliesin, probably) got their metagame nonsense out of the way in their younger days.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

redbrouw posted:

KEEN

MIND

"Yeah, but what time is it exactly, DM?"

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Plan Z posted:

"Yeah, but what time is it exactly, DM?"

This the true reason he picked Keen Mind, annoying his DM.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

HoboTech posted:

But that just allows for more roleplay!

Edit: Also I just remembered this is the guy who played "120ft of flight, sneak attack, and 3 ranged attacks per round + haste" Vax so I realize I'm totally wrong.

Some of that was Matt allowing them magic items (I think crafted by Tiberius when they were still playing Pathfinder) that he later said were overpowered in 5e. Vax's boots were one, Scanlan's Hand-cone was another.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Worth noting that fans also pointed out many, many times that Vax was arguably the worst person on the team to have the Boots of Haste since the bulk of his damage comes from his first sneak attack hit in a round and he rarely ever needed the huge movement speed it gave him since he mostly threw his daggers rather than fighting in melee. The Boots would have been more effective on... pretty much everybody else who had a higher base damage. Vax got what, an extra 1d6+whatever from a thrown dagger? Compare that to what it might have done on someone like Grog or Percy. Liam was well aware of this and still refused to give the boots up because Vax was attached to them. So Liam was still avoiding metagaming overpoweredness in his own way.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
He also could never die, because Mercer wanted to give him a pick me up when he was going through tough stuff.

If that isn't overpowered metagaming, what is?!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

redbrouw posted:

He also could never die, because Mercer wanted to give him a pick me up when he was going through tough stuff.

If that isn't overpowered metagaming, what is?!

i think he's actually significantly more dead than anyone

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Matt literally had Vecna disintegrate his rear end.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
The fate touched thing was much earlier than that and he came back from the dead one time resource free, didn't he?

He died at the appropriate time, like Harry Potter, but before that he had literal plot armor.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
we now go live to footage of vax

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

redbrouw posted:

The fate touched thing was much earlier than that and he came back from the dead one time resource free, didn't he?

He died at the appropriate time, like Harry Potter, but before that he had literal plot armor.

I'm pretty sure that's not true? Not sure though.

In any case Liam deliberately made a number of suboptimal calls because it was in character for Vax to do them, most notably throwing down with Raishan while underprepared.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Turns out the fate touched thing only happened in episode 100, but Matt says he would have done it earlier if necessary in the second campaign wrap up episode.

So even if Liam hadn't known it, he probably would have been able to make the same deal with the Raven Queen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It only happened in 103, because it's the last episode I watched. It's also notable that Vax never actually failed a normal resurrection or anything, so he could quite possibly have successfully been revived that way; it'd just have taken a while because Vox Machina didn't have 25,000 GP of diamonds and needed to find them before they could try. They had the money to purchase them, they just didn't have a place to do so even if they did have some ideas about how they might get those diamonds. Matt didn't really go out of his way to fudge Liam's character back to life, he just cut out the cast having to go through several episodes without Liam and that was probably the bigger incentive. If Vax died then Liam could have just rolled a new character; it'd suck, but the entire team seem like they'd be okay with accepting a character death and using a new character. If the rest of the cast has to spend several episodes doing it though, then Liam either has to play a really temporary character that he can't attach to because it's so transient or sit out several episodes while the cast do some busy work to resurrect him. They already had the gold to do so, just not someone to trade that gold to for the necessary materials and drawing that out just seems like a ballache.

Edit: Of course, I haven't actually watched the wrap up Talks yet, so maybe what Matt said directly contradicts that and he really did just do it because he didn't want Vax to die so Liam wouldn't be saddened when he was already going through a hard time, but coming from the perspective of the episode as it played out it just looks like he's doing it save some hassle at the very least.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 8, 2020

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

tsob posted:

It only happened in 103, because it's the last episode I watched. It's also notable that Vax never actually failed a normal resurrection or anything, so he could quite possibly have successfully been revived that way; it'd just have taken a while because Vox Machina didn't have 25,000 GP of diamonds and needed to find them before they could try. They had the money to purchase them, they just didn't have a place to do so even if they did have some ideas about how they might get those diamonds. Matt didn't really go out of his way to fudge Liam's character back to life, he just cut out the cast having to go through several episodes without Liam and that was probably the bigger incentive. If Vax died then Liam could have just rolled a new character; it'd suck, but the entire team seem like they'd be okay with accepting a character death and using a new character. If the rest of the cast has to spend several episodes doing it though, then Liam either has to play a really temporary character that he can't attach to because it's so transient or sit out several episodes while the cast do some busy work to resurrect him. They already had the gold to do so, just not someone to trade that gold to for the necessary materials and drawing that out just seems like a ballache.

Edit: Of course, I haven't actually watched the wrap up Talks yet, so maybe what Matt said directly contradicts that and he really did just do it because he didn't want Vax to die so Liam wouldn't be saddened when he was already going through a hard time, but coming from the perspective of the episode as it played out it just looks like he's doing it save some hassle at the very least.

I doubt you're watching Talks while watching Season 1, but it's made very clear that a resurrection would not work due to his pact with the Raven Queen.

It's kind of said further on, but it sounds like you're already past the part where it would have been discussed.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Schedule's back to normal this week: https://critrole.com/programming-schedule-week-of-october-12-2020/

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I actually think taking the time to go over the same chunk of eps for talks machina but with other players is a great idea in this case, because Taliesin and Marisha are going to have a lot iof interesting things to say.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I doubt you're watching Talks while watching Season 1, but it's made very clear that a resurrection would not work due to his pact with the Raven Queen.

It's kind of said further on, but it sounds like you're already past the part where it would have been discussed.

Yeah, I watched the first few Talks Machina after the episode it started and watch the occasional one that's tied to an interesting episode as I'm going through, but I don't watch all of them or anything. It's interesting that resurrection doesn't work with the Raven Queen though. It should be obvious, really, given her whole deal but I guess I'm used to thinking about resurrection as just being comparable to doctors performing surgery or something on technically deceased patients that brings them back to life analogous to conscious/unconscious rather than magic that's bringing the dead to life again so that it never even really registered as being a huge step extra to resurrect Vax despite his entire body being disintegrated in this instance.

It also makes sense now that Sam goes in to the finale with a plan to prevent Vax's death, since I've seen YouTube videos of that even before I started watching Critical Role. If the Raven Queen's pact is "You're doing this to kill Vecna, and after that, you're out" and everyone knows about it, then of course Sam is going to know about it going in and plan around it. Which, now I wonder what would have happened if he'd been able to make that wish. Would the Raven Queen be pissed about Vax breaking her pact, even if not by his own design? A topic that may be covered in post-season Talks, I guess.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I think a lot of the difficulty around resurrection on Critical Role is that it fits better with the overall story, and not much more than that.

Fact is, if you just go by rules as written in 5e death for high level characters is simply no more than a speedbump really. "Oh, you're dusted? That's fine I'll just wait until I get my 8 hours of sleep and True Resurrection you tomorrow, no big deal." Not to mention that Vax's deal with the Raven Queen in the first place was to assist in the ritual to revivify Vex, which is also not a required thing rules as written but it is good because it heightens tension.

So like most things, it's house rules intended to make the story more high stakes and less gamey.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Narrative telephone season 2 starts next tuesday

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Narrative telephone season 2 starts next tuesday

I love that in the preview video Ashley's background is every 90's school picture backdrop

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1316061272371130368

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

tsob posted:

Yeah, I watched the first few Talks Machina after the episode it started and watch the occasional one that's tied to an interesting episode as I'm going through, but I don't watch all of them or anything. It's interesting that resurrection doesn't work with the Raven Queen though. It should be obvious, really, given her whole deal but I guess I'm used to thinking about resurrection as just being comparable to doctors performing surgery or something on technically deceased patients that brings them back to life analogous to conscious/unconscious rather than magic that's bringing the dead to life again so that it never even really registered as being a huge step extra to resurrect Vax despite his entire body being disintegrated in this instance.

It also makes sense now that Sam goes in to the finale with a plan to prevent Vax's death, since I've seen YouTube videos of that even before I started watching Critical Role. If the Raven Queen's pact is "You're doing this to kill Vecna, and after that, you're out" and everyone knows about it, then of course Sam is going to know about it going in and plan around it. Which, now I wonder what would have happened if he'd been able to make that wish. Would the Raven Queen be pissed about Vax breaking her pact, even if not by his own design? A topic that may be covered in post-season Talks, I guess.

The Raven Queen seems to have an issue with wayward necromancy. She's explicitly ok with resurrection in certain cases, it's when there's presumably unpleasant consequences to the weave of Fate that she starts having problems.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm trying to remember something semi-CR-related. I think at one point, Sam Riegel was broadcasting from his house, and he secretly texted his wife to sneak in and move around some kind of creepy "Ring girl"-esque puppet to make Travis cringe, but I cannot remember what it was from.

Does anyone remember that or am I just high on the goofballz?

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm trying to remember something semi-CR-related. I think at one point, Sam Riegel was broadcasting from his house, and he secretly texted his wife to sneak in and move around some kind of creepy "Ring girl"-esque puppet to make Travis cringe, but I cannot remember what it was from.

Does anyone remember that or am I just high on the goofballz?

It was in one of the Narrative Telephone episodes

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Prettypanda posted:

It was in one of the Narrative Telephone episodes

Okay, I did check the Widogast's web of words one first, but the others didn't seem like they fit. I'll check those. Thanks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah then she belly crawled out thinking she was out of frame but was absolutely not. Somewhere in the middle but back half middle of the season iirc.

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay, I did check the Widogast's web of words one first, but the others didn't seem like they fit. I'll check those. Thanks.

It happens at 44:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvsJDG4WRzQ&list=PL1tiwbzkOjQyezFDKCb20491HLfaRMSDX&index=4&t=44m30s

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Man I forgot the full extent of just how bad Ashley is at that game.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dameius posted:

Yeah then she belly crawled out thinking she was out of frame but was absolutely not. Somewhere in the middle but back half middle of the season iirc.

She was in frame but no one would have seen her if she wasn't wearing those ridiculous clown socks :allears:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Dameius posted:

Man I forgot the full extent of just how bad Ashley is at that game.

Weird I must be misremembering because I thought she was the best at that game.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The best in entertainment value, for sure.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
This bit is dumb :geno:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

DarklyDreaming posted:

That's.. that's every bit.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

When you get a screenshot at just the right moment:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I feel like the flask water would have an odor, but maybe that's just me.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DarklyDreaming posted:

That's...everything Sam does though

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

oooh I love the look of that wallet and I am sorely tempted.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Despite that vax cloak being like 80 euro, I still want one. Maybe if they're still around I'll get one for christmas.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
That new intro, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Okay, the intro changing was kind of cool.