Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also the scroll was a gift from someone who travelled the planes constantly so presumably the scroll takes you to a specific place where he thought a human wizard could stand and not just "Plane of Fire/Hell" zone at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

season 2 ends abruptly as the entire party is telefragged

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Froghammer posted:

The Elemental Plane of Fire isn't just, like, literally fire. There are safe patches, pockets of breathable air, the occasional body of water, and at least one major city. Matt's not the kind of GM that would say "yeah, your Planeshift dropped you in a cube of magma three miles across, everyone start taking 3d6 fire damage per round". Wherever Team Scroll ends up, it's probably going to be survivable until they can get the dome up.

As for Team Ball, who knows.

Weirdly the Happy Fun Ball is full of magma now.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well if worst comes to worst the solution is to just make Gale a character who swoops in and saves the day.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also the scroll was a gift from someone who travelled the planes constantly so presumably the scroll takes you to a specific place where he thought a human wizard could stand and not just "Plane of Fire/Hell" zone at random.

Didn't the note suggest is was to visit an ally as well (possibly draconic in nature) which would make it even more likely the destination is not instantly harmful

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm really curious how this impacts the relationships they just started building, and I think Matt would find it fair to stack consequences here.

If Yussa survives, he'll be pissed. Whether he does or not, I cannot imagine Allura is going to be wild about it:

"So you went on a murder spree at a government facility, told them where your family was, and then led these people to Yussa's tower without warning him. And then after learning that he wasn't "there", you stayed and stole a pricey scroll. And then left him and his tower defenseless as your pursuers arrived. While stealing an artifact you left in his care."

Assuming that Trent doesn't just blame the crew of murderhobos seen storming into the tower for any damage, death, or looting he does after the nein silently departed.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

I'm really curious how this impacts the relationships they just started building, and I think Matt would find it fair to stack consequences here.

If Yussa survives, he'll be pissed. Whether he does or not, I cannot imagine Allura is going to be wild about it:

"So you went on a murder spree at a government facility, told them where your family was, and then led these people to Yussa's tower without warning him. And then after learning that he wasn't "there", you stayed and stole a pricey scroll. And then left him and his tower defenseless as your pursuers arrived. While stealing an artifact you left in his care."

Assuming that Trent doesn't just blame the crew of murderhobos seen storming into the tower for any damage, death, or looting he does after the nein silently departed.

Yussa might be Astral Projecting with a scroll, but I doubt it. Breaking into an archmage's tower and murdering him is very risky, even if he doesn't have friends with Resurrection; Clone is a spell, plus you can never be sure the wizard's death isn't going to set certain things in motion. I would assume Trent knows of Yussa, but maybe not.

I think the consequences are going to depend a lot on whether the M9 stop the Nightmare Nine. If they go through all this and the world still goes to poo poo, look out; if they come back as saviors, a certain amount of crap probably moves into "we will talk about this later" pile.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Narsham posted:

I think the consequences are going to depend a lot on whether the M9 stop the Nightmare Nine. If they go through all this and the world still goes to poo poo, look out; if they come back as saviors, a certain amount of crap probably moves into "we will talk about this later" pile.

If they fail against the Nonagon/Somnovum then they'll probably be dead, so the consequences won't be too important. If they do manage to survive after failing, then both Trent and Yussa will probably have higher priorities anyway. As will the Nein themselves, most likely, given that both Beau and Caleb are on a ticking clock. It might be a case that Allura or Yussa will want to walk away from any relationship with the Nein later, but they're unlikely to refuse to cooperate while the City is a direct threat to everyone.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Narsham posted:

Even if they somehow manage to stop loving themselves over long enough to get back to Eiselcross, and if they somehow save the day, who is going to know they saved the world? No one in the Empire, because they didn't bother telling anyone about the Eyes of Nine. As far as the Empire is concerned, they murdered Vess DeRogna, broke into the asylum and murdered a bunch of other guards, stole some expensive artifacts to hide themselves from sight and fled.

This is probably going to have blowback for the Cobalt Soul, because of Beau's known association with a group of murderers.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

At a certain level of archmage that would just be a really unexpected prank and not attempted murder, to be fair.

The gang planeshifts into an awkward surprise party.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Narsham posted:

I think some viewers forget that this is an RPG. This group is very serious about playing their characters, with only a little metagaming, and this is absolutely how this group of characters would be responding to this situation: hastily, panicked, without much forethought. Only one or two PCs are even capable of the kind of thinking required to observe, for instance, that an illusion of a dragon outside Trent's little enclave was almost certain to make the defenders call him in, and I don't think that occurred to the players at all. Liam was obviously playing Caleb as haunted in a way almost guaranteed to make the infiltration go wrong, and his response to getting caught by Trent was extremely in character.

Matt gave them a little time to recover, then put the pressure back on again big-time, then gave them time to figure out what they wanted to do and put the pressure on again only once they had several options before them. He also opted not to give them an easy out in the tower.

This is why I usually am not irked at the cast's plans, while I do get irked with some of the stuff Matt does. As a general rule Matt doesn't let them call a time out to plan once the pressure is on, and when they're already in the headspace of their characters they're going to respond hastily. And even though he does allow them to faff about outside of immediate danger, everyone knows that he's still advancing the world without if they're letting time pass (see him rolling dice in Campaign 1 to see who lived during the dragon attack).

As for the tower being so easily breached, it's a little annoying but I kind of understand it. The cast had already decided to bug out instead of defend, and at that point it made more sense to keep things tense (and give him another chance to show where Astrid stands) versus just letting them bamf out while Trent was still knocking on the door.

I feel like if they had tried to defend the doors would have held a little longer, if nothing else so that Matt could make a show of Trent blowing them in eventually.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I think Caleb will be suitably apologetic to yussa, if they back it up with like a gift or something they should be ok. They're gonna give him back the ball almost certainly

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Yussa basically intimidated them into giving him the ball when they were still weak as poo poo, picked clean all the rooms they cleared, including the blue dragon hoard, and shared nothing of it.
They should feel bad about a lot of things but not for taking the ball.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I'm surprised with how much effort Matt has put into certain aspects of gameplay and worldbuilding that he hasn't tweaked or homebrewed stealth in DnD at all. Stealth in nearly any TTRPG is usually not good and is left up to the DM to enforce and work with. With how creative he gets, I'm sure Matt could probably come up with something better than having to go "oh you're spotted, chaos time," every time the group wants to do an infiltration. I'm guessing he's probably not hot on screwing with the rules too much, as it'd be a bad look to have to be seen "fixing" a major mechanic while having a relationship with WotC? I don't know.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pennsylvanian posted:

I'm surprised with how much effort Matt has put into certain aspects of gameplay and worldbuilding that he hasn't tweaked or homebrewed stealth in DnD at all. Stealth in nearly any TTRPG is usually not good and is left up to the DM to enforce and work with. With how creative he gets, I'm sure Matt could probably come up with something better than having to go "oh you're spotted, chaos time," every time the group wants to do an infiltration. I'm guessing he's probably not hot on screwing with the rules too much, as it'd be a bad look to have to be seen "fixing" a major mechanic while having a relationship with WotC? I don't know.

In real life though, once you're spotted it is chaos time though. Guards are going to call for backup, there will be running and yelling, and if the guards are at all competent it's now a lot harder to get away, and even if you do get away you're probably going to be identified. The people who don't want you there are supposed to make it hard to get in, if they just go "Oh, there's a thief, better try and take them on myself" rather than just hitting the alarm and calling for backup they're going to die. In a world where some dude can crush you into a ball using gravity magic or blow up a building with a fireball and there's no way to tell if the person breaking in can do that or just tear you limb from limb guards are going to call in help. Matt plays them not stupid, and that means they're going to try and stay alive by calling in backup.

You're right, the stealth mechanics in D&D aren't great but they system is designed for people doing heroic deeds, and never being seen kind of makes it hard to be heroic. The rules are always going to favor actions that happen where people can see them, rather than not being noticed.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I know the Might Nein is in some serious poo poo, but can we go back for a moment and talk about how hilarious that Gale ad was because good lord that was ridiculous.

OOOUUUUEEEEHHHHVVVRRRRUUUHHHHH

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Matt, if you're reading this, please... please...

Send them to Sigil.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HoboTech posted:

Matt, if you're reading this, please... please...

Send them to Sigil.

Would legit own.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Crazy Ted posted:

I know the Might Nein is in some serious poo poo, but can we go back for a moment and talk about how hilarious that Gale ad was because good lord that was ridiculous.

OOOUUUUEEEEHHHHVVVRRRRUUUHHHHH

Relive the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPelkwqSOCs&t=195s

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TV IV > Critical Role (on Twitch/Youtube, yes) - Gag me with a spoon!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

TV IV > Critical Role (on Twitch/Youtube, yes) - Gag me with a spoon!
TV IV > Critical Role (on Twitch/Youtube, yes) - AHAHAHAHAHA Old-timey people are so weird!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Dexo posted:

Would legit own.

You just know one of them would try and convert the Lady of Pain or something equally stupid. Which is why he should do it, just to show them that they should think through their actions from time to time.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Have C3 take place in Dark Suns IMO

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

seaborgium posted:

You just know one of them would try and convert the Lady of Pain or something equally stupid. Which is why he should do it, just to show them that they should think through their actions from time to time.

I'd hope the first time her shadow passed over someone and they burst into a million lacerations that this would dissuade even the MN, but I'm probably hoping for too much.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

HoboTech posted:

I'd hope the first time her shadow passed over someone and they burst into a million lacerations that this would dissuade even the MN, but I'm probably hoping for too much.

There's so many things she could do to people that the M9 would just think they'd get to ignore that it would be hilarious.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Go to Sigil and do some Scooby Doo-style hallway chase shenanigans where you’re just dashing between planes and worlds constantly.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Fill your nostrils and heart with love

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Fill your nostrils and heart with love

-5 points for not including "ouvere*

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
It's not cat hair, but notice Sam didn't clarify what kind of hair it was. :gonk:

Also, six years, good lord.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I share my birthday with CR.

Also, in off work tomorrow so im celebrating by actually staying up and watching an ep live

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
well, things are going great

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the one time...

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Critical Role and doors . . .

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Thieves Tools don't work? Try picking a lock with a dagger.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rage Against the Machine Door

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Dungeoneering 101:
When an archmage loots an entire library but leaves three books, you DON'T gently caress WITH THE LEFT BOOKS

edit:

AJA fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 12, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Veth isn't with the party and they still can't leave poo poo alone.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Locked books are always gonna be so tempting though

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
"no, it's okay," says the guy who almost burnt his house down due to a blocked chimney. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Now we get to the real question of how boned are they, looks like the fire plane so far