Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Subtitles help a lot in these early parts, especially when it loses audio completely for several minutes.
Orion is the hardest thing to tolerate in a C1 rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Their sense of humour evolved. I don't think anyone would make a whore dwarves wharves joke now.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
If anything I think their humor still had a big "at home with people you know will laugh at these jokes even if they're a bit offensive" feel when they first started and they slowly veered away from it over time.

Aside from Sam anyway, Scanlan lived and breathed that personality for most the campaign. :v:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Orion is hard to watch, but Sam is kind of worse sometimes in those early episodes. If he didn't seriously self-evaluate at some point, then someone definitely sat down with him and had a talk. His Scanlan schtick gets really offputting at times, and I remember him making quite a few rape jokes.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I definitely remember the running joke about Scanlan being interested in young boys. I think, probably, it sounds like something that started in the home game and is probably just him wording something weird and then 'BRING ME A YOUNG BOY' becoming a running joke, but it's an uncomfortable one.

Orion tbh is okay in the earliest episodes, but I started my re-listen from the Briarwoods arc and by that point he's completely not doing well and everyone else is palpably at the end of their rope and it just creates a very tense atmosphere. I don't even particularly dislike Tiberius, I like the idea of an intelligent character pretending to be a buffoon to be underestimated but also sincerely being a buffoon in many ways, but it's clear Orion is not good at separating OOC from IC after a certain point and that leads to him trying to dominate every scene and also being very bad at taking criticism.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
To be fair, "Bafoonish but trying to hide it under a veil of bluster and bravado" is kind of the Sorcerer archetype. Not dismissing the way Orion acted during the campaign, far from it, but I think there are interesting ways for it to be done.

If we get a Campaign 3 in the near future, I would low-key kind of love for one of the weirder Warlock archetypes to show up. I kind of want to see what they do with a Celestial or Djinn pact warlock with the book or the chain. With Celestial Tome warlock you wind up with like 7 cantrips at level 3 and +CHA to all damage rolls with fire and radiant magic and access to every class' cantrips. Granted, if you take firebolt from Wizard you get the +CHA on the damage roll, which is still strictly inferior to eldritch blast, but more interesting from a character building and roleplay perspective. Especially if they take the feat to allow their fire damage to bypass enemy resistances.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There were only a few times I found Orion really hard to bear instead of just mildly annoying in combat. The Trial of the Take was a bad one when they had guests on and Orion blew literally all his spells doing basically nothing and just spent the entire time acting ornery that they wouldn't do a long rest in the middle of a chase sequence. Another one was when he showed up at the start of the episode and explained to Matt that he snuck off to Draconia in the middle of the night and came back with his very own bag of holding to which Matt basically had to awkwardly say "uh, okay....I guess..." live on stream.

Some of the other stuff that people seem to consider egregious bad-player moments like Tiberius trying to get his father's army to drop everything and come eliminate Percy's Briarwood problem seemed pretty much in-character for Tiberius, and the way Matt let him down was a good RP moment I thought.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Volte posted:

There were only a few times I found Orion really hard to bear instead of just mildly annoying in combat. The Trial of the Take was a bad one when they had guests on and Orion blew literally all his spells doing basically nothing and just spent the entire time acting ornery that they wouldn't do a long rest in the middle of a chase sequence. Another one was when he showed up at the start of the episode and explained to Matt that he snuck off to Draconia in the middle of the night and came back with his very own bag of holding to which Matt basically had to awkwardly say "uh, okay....I guess..." live on stream.

Some of the other stuff that people seem to consider egregious bad-player moments like Tiberius trying to get his father's army to drop everything and come eliminate Percy's Briarwood problem seemed pretty much in-character for Tiberius, and the way Matt let him down was a good RP moment I thought.

Wait...how does a player character do something without the DM's knowledge and consent, that he could tell Matt he snuck off and did a thing and Matt just had to accept it?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

tsob posted:

Wait...how does a player character do something without the DM's knowledge and consent, that he could tell Matt he snuck off and did a thing and Matt just had to accept it?
Matt could definitely have shut him down but it's kind of against the spirit of improv that they all adhere to and probably would have lead to more drama than just letting him have it. Definitely poor form on Orion's part though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Volte posted:

Matt could definitely have shut him down but it's kind of against the spirit of improv that they all adhere to and probably would have lead to more drama than just letting him have it. Definitely poor form on Orion's part though.

So Orion just announced that he'd done that in the night without checking it with the DM at all? And without actually going through the RP aspect of leaving in the middle of the night and showing his trip? That's just mind-boggling. The NaDDPod players do a thing called D&D Court every now and then where they ask fans to send in related grievances for them to arbitrate and one of the ones sent in a while back sounds similar, in that a player wanted to basically charm a high level enemy, announced he was going to roll without asking the DM if he even could, got a nat 20 and then got put out when the DM didn't immediately have the high level enemy swayed to his side by his charisma. Which the entire cast reacted with disbelief to when it was read out, because what the gently caress was the player even thinking would happen just doing his own thing without ever checking with the DM for the story. This sounds basically the same.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The aforementioned Trial of the Take episode and the K’Varn fight were two of Orion’s worst moments in my opinion, but he just constantly was kind of lovely during the game.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

tsob posted:

So Orion just announced that he'd done that in the night without checking it with the DM at all?

This strikes me as a "I'll do it on-screen while everyone is watching so it's harder to say no to my bullshit" kind of move, but I'm willing to bet Matt handwaved it because once a party has one bag of holding it really doesn't matter if they have two, for the most part. It's mostly a contrivance to avoid having to deal with encumbrance rules. Still, it's a really lovely move to pull.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Not as bad as some of his other behavior but, from the very first episode, he proceeds to 1) break from the party to go explore a thing that was only interesting to him, 2) throw a bunch of spells at a building in a city they just arrived in, and 3) throw a fireball at a group of enemies engaging friendly NPCs - killing the enemies and a couple of friendlies in the blast.

Not exactly a stellar start.

e. Plus constantly butting in other people's conversations with NPCs.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

tsob posted:

So Orion just announced that he'd done that in the night without checking it with the DM at all? And without actually going through the RP aspect of leaving in the middle of the night and showing his trip? That's just mind-boggling. The NaDDPod players do a thing called D&D Court every now and then where they ask fans to send in related grievances for them to arbitrate and one of the ones sent in a while back sounds similar, in that a player wanted to basically charm a high level enemy, announced he was going to roll without asking the DM if he even could, got a nat 20 and then got put out when the DM didn't immediately have the high level enemy swayed to his side by his charisma. Which the entire cast reacted with disbelief to when it was read out, because what the gently caress was the player even thinking would happen just doing his own thing without ever checking with the DM for the story. This sounds basically the same.

My favorite D&D Court question was the one about the guy who would eat an entire rotisserie chicken during the video call.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Orion is the reason I nearly quit on this show, I've been wanting to start at the beginning again but just wondering if I can tolerate his bullshit a second time.

Him trying to trade the circlet of concentration off Scanlan while Sam is away and him forcing Sam to trade it the next week even though I don't think he really wanted to and the stupid :smug: face he'd make whenever Matt forgot about it thereafter. Whenever that would have been useful for Scanlan later in the campaign I always thought "gently caress you Tiberius"

and when he hosed with Laura's shot with telekinesis when she rolled insanely high and totally ruining her moment, just wtf man there was no way she would have missed when she rolled over 30...

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, I ended up skipping the episodes past when the Briarwood-Emon fight happen because he was getting on my nerves so bad. Went straight to 27, currently on 37, maybe I'll watch those some time but probably not. I did enjoy the fact that Matt announced Orion wasn't coming back while in a full Geralt costume, that was great.

The first part that really got my attention was when Laura got the kill shot on K'varn. Everyone is yelling and cheering, he's just sitting there stone faced and silent.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

travis talking about his plans to hunt down Sabien in darktow so yeah it really seems like no one has any idea at this point if this arc could be the end or what

well they all think it could be the end depending on how things go, lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

eke out posted:

travis talking about his plans to hunt down Sabien in darktow so yeah it really seems like no one has any idea at this point if this arc could be the end or what

well they all think it could be the end depending on how things go, lol
How it ends is they do just enough that they can safely go back to their life as accidental pirates.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

How it ends is they do just enough that they can safely go back to their life as accidental pirates.

gotta do something about that big snake first tho

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

eke out posted:

Jester casts polymorph and permanently turns Ukotoa into a green kitten.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eke out posted:

Yeah, I have to imagine they have to do something about the U'Katoa situation before they put a wrap on this campaign. For all we know the next session could be super anticlimatic, especially if Essek has some high level stone shaping spell that lets him just brush aside the cave in like it was dust or something. Caleb also has a Master Transmuter class feature available to him that at least lets him turn a 5 ft cube of it into dust or something, but it'll also burn out his transmuter stone until the next long rest.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, I have to imagine they have to do something about the U'Katoa situation before they put a wrap on this campaign. For all we know the next session could be super anticlimatic, especially if Essek has some high level stone shaping spell that lets him just brush aside the cave in like it was dust or something. Caleb also has a Master Transmuter class feature available to him that at least lets him turn a 5 ft cube of it into dust or something, but it'll also burn out his transmuter stone until the next long rest.

yeah, I think that stone is also the one that can literally do a revive now?

i feel like matt knows what people want and will ensure there is a big climax here, he's really not the type to allow for unceremonious surprise endings

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

yeah, I think that stone is also the one that can literally do a revive now?

i feel like matt knows what people want and will ensure there is a big climax here, he's really not the type to allow for unceremonious surprise endings

Raise dead, so longer time span to do it but yeah. Only once and then you have to remake it completely after a long rest and it takes 8 hours.

I'm sure there will be a big conclusion, but I'm still wondering if the city is coming in or not.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Euology as advertisement :qq:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

In case anyone didn't get the QR code.

https://imgur.com/s3AyOCq

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Spit that out Travis. You don't know know exactly where's Sam's been.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I think the intro changed but I didn't really catch it - what happened?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Arcsech posted:

I think the intro changed but I didn't really catch it - what happened?

New Opening, who dis?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Work ran a little later, what have I missed so far?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PetraCore posted:

Work ran a little later, what have I missed so far?

haven't rested, already getting distracted by buildings probably unrelated to the path the tomb takers are fleeing on

also dagen lived

there is absolutely no sense of urgency at all lol

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Don't come running back with a monster chasing after you

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

VETH IS FINALLY IN THE OPENING

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

eke out posted:

haven't rested, already getting distracted by buildings probably unrelated to the path the tomb takers are fleeing on

also dagen lived

there is absolutely no sense of urgency at all lol
Thanks! TBH I was expecting them to take the first hour to just talk things out so this isn't quite as bad as it could be, but like... I hope they do remember the goal is to stop Lucien from finishing some sort of ritual. At this point I'm expecting them to have to go to Cognouza at some point but there's a reason they're not finishing the long rest.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

It's actually frustrating the poo poo out of me how much they've already gotten distracted lol. I was hoping they would come in with some more urgency or something.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It's the break between recordings. Otherwise they'd be way more focused.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cad Otis was blatantly a warlock, not a mage. She did a prayer to 'the Voice from beyond the stars' in deep speech when pressed. He knew Eldritch Blast.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Dammit, I looked away for a moment, who are they talking to?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I love the idea that Cad is good at lying to the dead, and bad at lying to the living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

ChaosReaper posted:

It's actually frustrating the poo poo out of me how much they've already gotten distracted lol. I was hoping they would come in with some more urgency or something.

They have a whole day, apparently.