Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Teddybear posted:

Finished Trial of the Take and boy, I can tell what y’all meant about Orion. He has to be the most intimidating badass gruffboy interruptorking at the table.

Oh buddy, he will get worse before he leaves. If you're actually watching the episodes instead of just using them as background noise, there will come a moment where Travis will be visibly on the verge of kicking Orion's rear end based on him both having dicked around all episode and also having made an very inappropriate comment to Laura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh buddy, he will get worse before he leaves. If you're actually watching the episodes instead of just using them as background noise, there will come a moment where Travis will be visibly on the verge of kicking Orion's rear end based on him both having dicked around all episode and also having made an very inappropriate comment to Laura.

Even as someone who used to bat for Orion pretty hard (there's been some recent stuff on the Twitterz that implicates Orion in hosting a charity drive for one of his stream mods who was hit by a hurricane and never giving them the money), that was a super awkward moment and basically killed episode-long shopping trips for the rest of the campaign IIRC.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can someone point me towards that moment? I'm trying to watch the beginning of S1, and the audio issues are killing it for me.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

There were basically two separate issues - the first was that Orion had a sort of shopping list of like 5 things he wanted to do. The problem was they were literally just things for him to do alone. He wanted to go buy some super stupid stuff (he wanted a ton of mirrors for no reason anyone ever determined and when I say he wanted a ton of mirrors, I mean he was literally asking to buy a thousand small hand mirrors and shove them into his bag of holding. He was insistent that a city as large as Emon could provide them, despite Matt pointing out he was not realistically going to find a thousand hand mirrors anywhere), he wanted to talk to certain people only he cared about, etc. Basically completely solo stuff while the rest of the party had to sit there and watch him do it because he had ditched the group and decided to do it on screen instead of just loving talking to Matt before the show.

The second issue, and the one that made Travis real loving mad, was that out of literally nowhere, Orion mentioned Tiberius having "a half chub" from listening to Vex talk about their plan. When the rest of the group and particularly Laura reacted negatively to the comment (because it was loving gross and unnecessary), he tried to defend himself saying Tiberius just thought good strategy was hot or some poo poo. I don't know if he thought it was fine because Scanlan made dick jokes all the time or what, but there was a world of difference between the kind of jokes Scanlan made and the fact that Orion just out of the blue said "Man, my character is hard right now because your character is sexy to him."

I believe it's all in Episode 27, Orion's last ever episode, but I couldn't point you to a particular timestamp.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
And that was after the drunk Tiberius flirting with and touching Keyleth thing that also went too far.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
I’m watching my way through campaign 1 now and maybe it’s because I already knew about the Orion stuff, but things get a little tense with him way before he ended up leaving. Laura in particular had a few bad moments with him so I’m not surprised that one was a final straw.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm envious it only took them that long to realize That Guy and booted him. Still, that kind of tension is interesting to watch. I look forward to it in a non-weird way, if possible. I think I like the characters in S2 better, but I imagine that's probably blasphemy considering how i've read some people cried while watching and stuff. I'm looking forward to watching a billion hours of this now.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

squidtarts posted:

I’m watching my way through campaign 1 now and maybe it’s because I already knew about the Orion stuff, but things get a little tense with him way before he ended up leaving. Laura in particular had a few bad moments with him so I’m not surprised that one was a final straw.

Yeah, Laura got real loving mad at him at a skill check involving her shooting something, to keep vague in case you haven't seen it.

Ojjeorago posted:

And that was after the drunk Tiberius flirting with and touching Keyleth thing that also went too far.

Been a long time since I've seen that particular scene, and not to defend Orion specifically cause gently caress him, but I think Marisha was just RPing being uncomfortable there? I only say this since I'm at episode 24 atm on a rewatch (I never actually seen past episode 50 of the first campaign so I'm fixing that slowly) and usually the bottom half of the screen is usually always grabbing and touching each other and being completely fine with it. Though again, been a long time and maybe she was a bit upset at that moment? :v:

CuwiKhons posted:

I don't know if he thought it was fine because Scanlan made dick jokes all the time or what, but there was a world of difference between the kind of jokes Scanlan made and the fact that Orion just out of the blue said "Man, my character is hard right now because your character is sexy to him."

This whole thing though, god drat. To me it just seems like Orion sees the others getting attention for specific details of their characters and just goes "hey me too!" Grog is the one who holds the bag of holding, oh, I'll get one myself! Everybody loves Trinket, oh, I'll get my own pet! Vax is dagger dagger dagger, time to use daggers with telekinesis(his obsession with that loving spell is another :can: on its own)! Scanlan is a goofy rear end pervert and people love it, time to make my own comment! Oops shame you aren't a charming person whose been doing it for years at that point and knows the line and when not to cross it, idiot. Maybe I'm looking way too into it? :shobon: The point is he's such a sour point on an otherwise great thing.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Zeratanis posted:

Yeah, Laura got real loving mad at him at a skill check involving her shooting something, to keep vague in case you haven't seen it.

Spoilers about this bit: If I remember correctly, Laura was trying for a really difficult shot, made it against all odds, and everyone was super excited. Then Orion, who either wasn't paying attention (a generous interpretation), or who was (then he's even more of a dick), cast a spell that would have made Laura's shot pointless after the fact. I still remember her face falling like "what the gently caress, man?". Matt tried to weave it into his narrative by describing Vex's awesome shot, then Tiberius just kind of helped out at the end, but still. That was a real dick move.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zeratanis posted:

This whole thing though, god drat. To me it just seems like Orion sees the others getting attention for specific details of their characters and just goes "hey me too!" Grog is the one who holds the bag of holding, oh, I'll get one myself! Everybody loves Trinket, oh, I'll get my own pet! Vax is dagger dagger dagger, time to use daggers with telekinesis(his obsession with that loving spell is another :can: on its own)! Scanlan is a goofy rear end pervert and people love it, time to make my own comment! Oops shame you aren't a charming person whose been doing it for years at that point and knows the line and when not to cross it, idiot. Maybe I'm looking way too into it? :shobon: The point is he's such a sour point on an otherwise great thing.

The mirror thing that was brought up before sorta plays into that as well. Percy invented stuff, and he wanted a giant glass lens to use against the Briarwoods because we knew at that point that Cylas was a vampire IIRC. That didn't pan out, so Orion decided to try and get a gajillion tiny mirrors instead to create his own Archimedes' death ray. It was never made explicit that it was for that purpose, but given the context at the time it was pretty obvious to like everyone watching that's what he was gonna do with 'em. :v:

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
The group dynamic gets SO much better after he leaves, its amazing.

Firstborn posted:

I think I like the characters in S2 better, but I imagine that's probably blasphemy considering how i've read some people cried while watching and stuff. I'm looking forward to watching a billion hours of this now.

The roleplaying gets good and they just punch you in the gut sometimes. Matt being really good at weaving a story also helps a lot. S2 already has had a couple of very good emotional moments though, i.e. (spoilers just in case) every one of Nott's character scenes.

Veks fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 11, 2018

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Veks posted:

The group dynamic gets SO much better after he leaves, its amazing.

When I first tried the show, I basically watched the character intros from Episode 1 and skipped straight to Episode 39 (“Omens”), because I saw a similar run down of how awkward the Orion poo poo is. I’ve never gone back to watch the ones I skipped. I don’t know that I’d recommend skipping that far ahead, but I wouldn’t necessarily warn against it either. While it was clear that I’d skipped some relevant NPC and guest character intros and a major story arc, it also wasn’t hard at all to pick up what had gone down, who the various NPCs and guests were, etc.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Dragonatrix posted:

The mirror thing that was brought up before sorta plays into that as well. Percy invented stuff, and he wanted a giant glass lens to use against the Briarwoods because we knew at that point that Cylas was a vampire IIRC. That didn't pan out, so Orion decided to try and get a gajillion tiny mirrors instead to create his own Archimedes' death ray. It was never made explicit that it was for that purpose, but given the context at the time it was pretty obvious to like everyone watching that's what he was gonna do with 'em. :v:

To me it looked like, Orion had already had the same basic idea of using mirrors/lenses against the vampire. There's a moment where he realises what Taliesin was trying to build and almost tells him not to bother because he wants to do it. And then even after actual mechanical inventor Percy tries and fails he decides to go ahead with his more far-fetched solo plan and it just gets really awkward. You can see the frustration on everyone's face as he's going through his shopping list doing all this pointless stuff.

As for the most recent episode, hoo boy was that dodecahedron caper frustrating.They spent what seems like forever deciding that they didn't want it, and then as soon as they see the Empire get their hands on it they risk everything to get it back. And then Caleb refuses to investigate it fully despite Matt dropping hint after hint that it's not dangerous and they need to find out more about it. It was great seeing the DM jump on the chance when Fjord showed an interest in it and then audibly saying "gently caress!" when he failed his Arcana check.

I did like seeing the level-up rolls done live though, I'd like to see more of the finer details too but it would probably break up the flow too much.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm guessing I may as well skip Orion's last episode when I get there and just, like, read a synopsis.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Teddybear posted:

I'm guessing I may as well skip Orion's last episode when I get there and just, like, read a synopsis.

"Some poo poo in the underdark happened and they lost a magic carpet. Laura never quite recovered."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

victorious posted:

I did like seeing the level-up rolls done live though, I'd like to see more of the finer details too but it would probably break up the flow too much.

When I jumped onboard campaign 1 it was pretty clear what equipment and abilities everyone had, particularly episodes that were combat heavy. It's also pretty easy to hit up google to tell you what special mojo a particular class has at a new level. I'm probably most interested in seeing what pact boon benefits Fjord chooses as he levels at the moment, Warlocks in particular have a big unique pool of passive or active abilities to choose from that I don't think any other class quite offers, it's basically like having the specialization options of classes built in to your class only you pick and choose what you like from all of them at once, and then have your warlock specialization on top of it.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

NowonSA posted:

When I jumped onboard campaign 1 it was pretty clear what equipment and abilities everyone had, particularly episodes that were combat heavy. It's also pretty easy to hit up google to tell you what special mojo a particular class has at a new level. I'm probably most interested in seeing what pact boon benefits Fjord chooses as he levels at the moment, Warlocks in particular have a big unique pool of passive or active abilities to choose from that I don't think any other class quite offers, it's basically like having the specialization options of classes built in to your class only you pick and choose what you like from all of them at once, and then have your warlock specialization on top of it.

They’re leveling up to 4, so it should just be ASI/feats unless someone’s multiclassing. You can also find their character cards, with links to Dropboxed full character sheets, at CritRoleStats. It looks like Fjord went Pact of the Blade for pact boon, and Agonizing Blast and Mask of Many Faces for invokations.

Edit: Though I’m assuming these sheets aren’t provided by the cast, and are just compiled by CritRoleStats by what is seen on stream. That said, that still sounds/looks right for Fjord.

escalator dropdown fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 11, 2018

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

escalator dropdown posted:

They’re leveling up to 4, so it should just be ASI/feats unless someone’s multiclassing. You can also find their character cards, with links to Dropboxed full character sheets, at CritRoleStats. It looks like Fjord went Pact of the Blade for pact boon, and Agonizing Blast and Mask of Many Faces for invokations.

Edit: Though I’m assuming these sheets aren’t provided by the cast, and are just compiled by CritRoleStats by what is seen on stream. That said, that still sounds/looks right for Fjord.

Yeah while the show is a huge fan of CR Stats, they don't like, provide their character sheets to them. Many of them also like to keep an air of mystery around what they may have picked when they leveled up too. Percy did it early in the last campaign where he took Magic Initiate as a feat on one level up and sat on it for several episodes until dramatically busting out Hex.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
And on the other end of the spectrum, Travis is asking twitter which feats he should pick.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, and Taliesen outright said he took Tough this time, which is a no-brainer admittedly. Blood Hunter needs as much HP as possible to get the most out it's abilities.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Well, and Taliesen outright said he took Tough this time, which is a no-brainer admittedly. Blood Hunter needs as much HP as possible to get the most out it's abilities.

Can confirm, I took Tough myself when I played a Hunter.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

We're live with Episode 14-- with Yasha, without Jester (cuz Laura is sick).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Starting things with a few bangs, too.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I was half expecting that to turn into an unfortunate conflagration of silly string and overhead theatre lights.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I fully expected that to go bad. I've seen enough vids of silly string birthday parties to start looking around for an open flame or anything hot...

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'm just glad Ashley is back for a little while.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I get the feeling Molly is just bullshitting frantically because he literally doesn't remember who this Tbaxi is.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Keru posted:

I get the feeling Molly is just bullshitting frantically because he literally doesn't remember who this Tbaxi is.

Oh 100%. That whole thing was a panicked "Yes I definitely remember this thing... refresh me on the details???"

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Even she's out, Laura's great.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Laura is somehow rocking it despite not being there. Also Liam does a great Jester.

And I’m a big fan of where Molly’s goin’!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I fell asleep during the broadcast. Do they really not archive their game? I have to wait a few days until the YT upload? :(

\/\/\/\/ So you need a sub, I see. Thank you.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 13, 2018

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

What? The game's on their Twitch channel or Project Alpha. Both require a subscription to view but it'll be publically available on Youtube on Monday.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Teddybear posted:

Laura is somehow rocking it despite not being there. Also Liam does a great Jester.

And I’m a big fan of where Molly’s goin’!

Seems like Taliesin is going for a Nameless One (Planescape: Torment) approach to death and memories.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Seems like Taliesin is going for a Nameless One (Planescape: Torment) approach to death and memories.

You could call him The One With Multiple Names

I'll show myself out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone else find Liam's Jester impression kinda creepy?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Extremely, if only due to how accurate it was.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Nah I was diggin' it, anytime someone can make it I want multiple people tossing in impressions now, Marisha can do Yasha when Ashley isn't there since Beau is like 90% of the way to that anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The once or twice Laura did Grog because Travis was running late was pretty cute. (Actually, has Travis ever missed a game?)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It was a kind of weak episode overall but still fun, and it did reassure me that things are still gonna be fun even when Laura and possibly Travis miss some sessions when the baby arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...weak? It introduced a new major NPC, a new quest/dungeon crawl and the first deep dive into backstory for a member of the Nein