Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I don't know how you got weak out of that. That poo poo was dramatic as hell. There wasn't any combat but I don't personally find combat that interesting either. I was enraptured the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Different tastes I suppose, it was coming off of some serious highs and though they did the best they could in her absence, and indeed better than I expected, I missed Laura a lot. I've gotten used to the longer sessions too so ending after 3 hours was probably my biggest issue with the episode.

Everything set up sounds like it'll be fun, but I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the "ride" of this latest task and the fallout of it much more than seeing the track be laid for it. And nobody talked to the crazy gnome!

Critical Role is basically my favorite piece of entertainment to regularly consume, but even I can't always say an episode really captivated me, and for me personally this was one of the lower quality episodes of the new campaign. Right now I think I'd rank it at the bottom, but that may be recency bias.

It's still a fine show and I'm very glad to have watched it, but even all time classics shows like Breaking Bad have their episodes or seasons ranked and measured against one another.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I actually thought this episode was great I was on the edge of my seat during the card game and when the gentlemen just straight up chugged a vial of acid. Especially since I didn’t know what a water genasi was until Thursday night so I thought everyone was super hosed.

Also, Liam’s Jester impression was on point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If I was Matt, I'd already be either planning the reveal that Pumat Sol is the evil mastermind villain for the whole campaign... or deciding he's like Nurse Joy from Pokemon and there's a set in every city.

Edit: Yasha's social awkwardness when she's not simply needing to intimidate is hilarious. Really shows how much range Ashley has.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 14, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's kind of cool how if a player misses your session, they could just download a podcast or watch it on youtube to get caught up. Huehuehuehue. I'm going through S1 (i'm only on episode 5), and it was a weird start even at level 1 and knowing there's pre-stream games. I'm at the part where Matt is doing the Mindflayer voice, and goddamn, it's so good. I also kind of love Liam.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Firstborn posted:

It's kind of cool how if a player misses your session, they could just download a podcast or watch it on youtube to get caught up. Huehuehuehue. I'm going through S1 (i'm only on episode 5), and it was a weird start even at level 1 and knowing there's pre-stream games. I'm at the part where Matt is doing the Mindflayer voice, and goddamn, it's so good. I also kind of love Liam.

Clarota's a cool Flayer, and one of the few names from back then that they've dropped quite recently and who comes up sometimes at convention Q&A's.

Having full access to the whole game is a very fine resource, alas it takes some real skill and money to get it even close to the level of CR visually. Recording it on audio isn't a bad idea at all, seems very feasible for home games when you know someone will miss it, but I think 99% of D&D groups are way too lazy to do that.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

What edition/game book do they use for this? I read they were originally pathfinder but converted when picked up by geek & sundry, and I think the gunslinger and blood hunter classes are mercer originals. Is the rest D&d next or 4th edition or something?

I've now watched episode 1 of both seasons and I think I'm hooked. I tried getting into it last summer. Watched about an hour of a stream on twitch where they were dealing with a sphere of annihilation and a wall of force. That was fun but I was too daunted by the backlog at the time.

Orion on podcast reminds me of the voice of Winston from Overwatch, I kind of liked his character at first so I'm not looking forward to where it is going. Watching the gang react to each other's characters for the first time in season 2 was great, especially Nott.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The very first session for Liam's birthday was 4th edition, then they switched to Pathfinder for the remainder of the home game, and now play 5th edition on the stream.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
For those who use the Monday VODs, this week's is up on Youtube even if the site still doesn't say so.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bagrada posted:

What edition/game book do they use for this? I read they were originally pathfinder but converted when picked up by geek & sundry, and I think the gunslinger and blood hunter classes are mercer originals. Is the rest D&d next or 4th edition or something?

I've now watched episode 1 of both seasons and I think I'm hooked. I tried getting into it last summer. Watched about an hour of a stream on twitch where they were dealing with a sphere of annihilation and a wall of force. That was fun but I was too daunted by the backlog at the time.

Orion on podcast reminds me of the voice of Winston from Overwatch, I kind of liked his character at first so I'm not looking forward to where it is going. Watching the gang react to each other's characters for the first time in season 2 was great, especially Nott.

I think half the reaction to Nott was for Sam's voice, and the assumption that it was a similar situation to his voice during one of Liam's one-shots, where he did a similar kind of Slavic thing to what Laura does for Jester and belatedly realised he'd committed to it for 4 hours without thinking. Except he was committing to it for 2 years.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gaz-L posted:

I think half the reaction to Nott was for Sam's voice, and the assumption that it was a similar situation to his voice during one of Liam's one-shots, where he did a similar kind of Slavic thing to what Laura does for Jester and belatedly realised he'd committed to it for 4 hours without thinking. Except he was committing to it for 2 years.

He's really settled into it, though. You can see him accustom to the voice as the weeks go by to the point where he can comfortably act in it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teddybear posted:

He's really settled into it, though. You can see him accustom to the voice as the weeks go by to the point where he can comfortably act in it.

Oh, I knew he was either going to adjust it to the point where he could do it for 4 hours a week, or she'd suddenly 'reveal' her real voice later.

Can I also point out how cruel Laura was in texting in that question about Molly's fortune telling? Liam basically nailed what I think she was going for with the "Go on, Taliesin, tell the little girl Santa's not real" vibe.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, I knew he was either going to adjust it to the point where he could do it for 4 hours a week, or she'd suddenly 'reveal' her real voice later.

Can I also point out how cruel Laura was in texting in that question about Molly's fortune telling? Liam basically nailed what I think she was going for with the "Go on, Taliesin, tell the little girl Santa's not real" vibe.

I appreciate that Molly adores Jester enough to find a way to still keep the hope alive even in telling the truth that no, he can't read fortunes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, I caught the "I'd like to think so" reply to the "Are you a good man?" question. It's the only part where it looked like Tal was choosing his words carefully so as to obey the spell but not actually answer.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'd really like to see how Ashley's notes are organized. She kept referring to them when she was trying to tiptoe around questions about her background. I'd steal the format if it looked good. I wonder if it looks like a full bio or just bullet points with factoids or cool quotes she wrote down that she thinks Yasha would say.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Oh cool, a Critical Role thread! Awesome, good to see some show discussion that doesn't immediately lead into character and player bashing.

I started watching Critical Role about a year ago. I was about to start DMing a 5e campaign for the first time ever with a few friends (still going strong) and I stumbled on the GM Tips videos, found CR from there and have been addicted ever since.

I love how that discussion with Nott about Caleb just completely turned that relationship on its head, at least for me. I was not expecting that at all and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I'm glad there's a thread for CR! I'm not caught up on Season 2 yet, still have like 4 episodes to go. I do miss Grog a lot though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFE2QIPsZwY

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pussy Quipped posted:

I'm glad there's a thread for CR! I'm not caught up on Season 2 yet, still have like 4 episodes to go. I do miss Grog a lot though..

It's OK, the new God of War game basically kidnapped Grog and replaced him with Kratos.

... Seriously, even Travis pointed out how much Kratos looks like Grog now with the beard, especially now that Kratos is using an axe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My single favourite moment from Campaign 1 is Grog finding the Deck Of Many Things. On the video you can see the rest of the table gradually realise what Matt rolled in the loot table. I think it goes from, like, Pat Rothfuss (this was during the 5 episode run he did as a guest) trying to keep a straight face, to Liam and Laura realising almost at the same time and screaming in disbelief, then Marisha and Taliesin just corpsing, and all the while Sam is confused and Travis is getting more and more terrified.

Plus the moment where Grog threatened to throw them into the lava, and Laura COMPLETELY breaks character to go "TRAVIS!"

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Who else is super excited for tonight's episode? The entire gang should be there (hopefully Laura is feeling better after her bout with the plague). Spoilers for C1-The first real dungeon crawl of the new campaign! And they won't have all the super awesome abilities that VM had to just bypass large parts of the dungeon. I still remember Matt's face when Keyleth and Pike used earthquake spells to just crush Vecna's tower and destroy that entire dungeon he had planned.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Pussy Quipped posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSJqrl7oXBc

Tonight should be good, combat with all 7 should be decent.

https://twitter.com/LauraBaileyVO/status/987130218887303169

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Lucas Archer posted:

Who else is super excited for tonight's episode? The entire gang should be there (hopefully Laura is feeling better after her bout with the plague). Spoilers for C1-The first real dungeon crawl of the new campaign! And they won't have all the super awesome abilities that VM had to just bypass large parts of the dungeon. I still remember Matt's face when Keyleth and Pike used earthquake spells to just crush Vecna's tower and destroy that entire dungeon he had planned.

The tower wasn't so much a dungeon as a series of fights, and I think the Gnoll mines was a decent dungeon crawl, certainly moreso than we typically saw in Campaign 1. Here's hoping it's at least as beefy as the gnoll crawl was, I'm down for some conventional spell conservation and "we gotta take a short rest in the middle here" stuff to happen.

If Mercer busts out a traditional dungeon map and they toss that sucker on the stream I will really, really love it, I don't expect it but I'm a sucker for that classic feel after I had a fair amount of those maps to work through in a previous pathfinder campaign.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

NowonSA posted:

The tower wasn't so much a dungeon as a series of fights, and I think the Gnoll mines was a decent dungeon crawl, certainly moreso than we typically saw in Campaign 1. Here's hoping it's at least as beefy as the gnoll crawl was, I'm down for some conventional spell conservation and "we gotta take a short rest in the middle here" stuff to happen.

If Mercer busts out a traditional dungeon map and they toss that sucker on the stream I will really, really love it, I don't expect it but I'm a sucker for that classic feel after I had a fair amount of those maps to work through in a previous pathfinder campaign.
Oh yeah, that's my poo poo. I'd love to see a good old fashioned dungeon map, ala the one we saw when they (early C1 spoilers) infiltrated the duergar fortress in the underdark.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Stream is live, starting soon!

Man, I went from not knowing heads or tails of this and just skimming over it when it came up in my youtube sub box to getting incredibly hype about it in no time. To think, if my dumb rear end had bothered to check it out two years ago, I could've watched it unfold live sooner. Ah well.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Teddybear posted:

Man, I went from not knowing heads or tails of this and just skimming over it when it came up in my youtube sub box to getting incredibly hype about it in no time. To think, if my dumb rear end had bothered to check it out two years ago, I could've watched it unfold live sooner. Ah well.

If it helps, the later parts of campaign one got very stressful to watch live. :negative:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Quest for Glory name drop! Woo!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Well that was more a couple of rooms than a big ol crawl, but still a nice puzzle and fight mix. A nice cliffhanger for next week too.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I love drunk Nott so much. These characters are all a garbage fire and it’s just the best.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

Sam trolling Travis about the Cowboys will never not be funny.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Good episode! Cool puzzle, good fights and it was nice to see a gelatinous cube thrown into the mix.

CuwiKhons posted:

If it helps, the later parts of campaign one got very stressful to watch live. :negative:

Agreed, I caught up around episode 100 of the first campaign and the last 2 or 3 eps were hell to watch, in a good way of course. I remember sweating and chewing my nails a whole lot.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Teddybear posted:

This is me, im now going through s1.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I don't have the link here at work, but if you are listening by podcast note that season 1 episode 4 ends as soon as their session does. If you are watching it on youtube instead they go on to have a lengthy (over an hour?) Q&A with subbed fans in twitch where everyone but Bailey and Riegel sit in front of the camera and chime in when they can. Some pretty interesting talk about how they all got started, how some of them settled on their characters, their gaming histories and interests and so on.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bagrada posted:

I don't have the link here at work, but if you are listening by podcast note that season 1 episode 4 ends as soon as their session does. If you are watching it on youtube instead they go on to have a lengthy (over an hour?) Q&A with subbed fans in twitch where everyone but Bailey and Riegel sit in front of the camera and chime in when they can. Some pretty interesting talk about how they all got started, how some of them settled on their characters, their gaming histories and interests and so on.

I'm pretty sure that's the Q&A where we learned about how Scanlan nearly got his first kill on a boss monster, only for Sam to roll a Nat 1 at the last moment. Matt then describes the boss just side-stepping Scanlan's charge before he falls out a window and through a nest of thorns.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
https://twitter.com/scottc_miller/status/988066620521115648

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just watched the Liam's Quest episodes and that may have been the most meta thing I've ever seen

In a similar vein Sam leaving his headshot and resume on a man's corpse may be the funniest thing in the series

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Blockhouse posted:

I just watched the Liam's Quest episodes and that may have been the most meta thing I've ever seen

In a similar vein Sam leaving his headshot and resume on a man's corpse may be the funniest thing in the series

Not just any man's! The director of The Last of Us. Another project on the #cancelblindspot list :)

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
16 minutes in and Laura has already smirked at the word moist and I'm glad she's back.

And yes, Liam, it is sad when ships sink(?)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Popo posted:

16 minutes in and Laura has already smirked at the word moist and I'm glad she's back.

And yes, Liam, it is sad when ships sink(?)

I love the delayed responses he gets as the others realize what kind of "shipping" he's talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also amazing that Taliesin was the one who didn't get Marisha's 'going down' joke.