Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I actually thought this episode was great I was on the edge of my seat during the card game and when the gentlemen just straight up chugged a vial of acid. Especially since I didn’t know what a water genasi was until Thursday night so I thought everyone was super hosed.

Also, Liam’s Jester impression was on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Travis is a smart guy playing a dumb character where Orion is a dumb guy that playing a smart character.

Edit, up to ep 27 in c1 and... yeesh
Edit 2: belly laughed when Tiberius, the least charismatic party member who fucks up every negotiation has a CHA or 20 lmao

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 27, 2018

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

So I clocked out around Beau’s adventure to the cobalt soul.did I miss anything important between that and the 30 minutes or so before I woke up?

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 27, 2018

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Was there anything that explicitly tagged Molly as gay? Because if not, the theme of flamboyant= gay is problematic in and of itself.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Sumalee was probably my favorite guest they’ve had on since Mary Elizabeth.

Honestly, the only guest I’ve actively disliked is probably Hardwick, but I’ve always disliked him since @midnight. He just seemed there out of obligation and was trying way too hard to be funny. That he turned out to beat his girlfriend is absolutely unsurprising.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lol, Matt was SO MAD that they killed Lorenzo.

Real talk, I’m starting to believe that the entire reason I didn’t really like Molly was that we really didn’t get enough time with him. I liked Percy, and I adore Cad so far, so I assume the entire reason Molly was so comparatively bland (imo) is because Taliesen had something big up his sleeve that he wasn’t ready to unveil. I was honestly kind of annoyed by how he kept avoiding obvious plot hooks, but Taliesen’s other characters are so interesting that I’m forced to assume there was more under the surface that would have created something interesting further down the line had Molly survived.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It was probably the fuller reveal of Molly’s backstory, which would have probably been connected to a deeper arc like how Percy got the Briarwood arc for his development.

I assumed as much, especially since Matt laid the groundwork with that blood cleric. I assume Molly will show up again as an npc later lest all that work go to waste. It’s not the first time he’s died.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Jester writing “why didn’t you come?” Into her sketchbook was heartbreaking. Also, I imagine lying to Cree will have some serious ramifications in the future. I assume she’s going to try to track “Lucian” through Molly’s blood, and will be very cross when she discovers he’s dead.

Beyond that I’ve been binging campaign 1 this past week and I’m now at episode 71. episode 64... woof. I’ve been outspoken in this thread about how annoying I found Orion and his character but man... Tiberius’ fate just seemed kind of... cruel? I mean, he was obnoxious but he didn’t deserve THAT.

Outside of that, I knew about Ripley’s trap and that Percy would die because I’m physically incapable of ignoring spoilers, but Kainen turning up again was a surprise I really appreciated, and I really like how he and Vax’s relationship develops in later episodes.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Jesus Christ, is Sam using his giant flask for its intended purpose? If so, how is that man still alive?

On the other topic at hand, the only exposure I’ve had to D&D is this and the D&D campaign on the LP subforum that included medibot, panzer skank, gharbad, either chip cheezum or general ironicus and a few others I forget ( which was a lot of fun, a lot more comedy focused than CR), so I appreciate a deep dive into the rules, even if it’s a slow burn. This show has piqued my interest in D&D even though none of my irl friends are really into this sort of thing. If I can find a group to play with in the future I’d at least like to know the ins and outs as best I can.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

You can also visit the Traditional Games subforum and there's people playing lots of games on there!

Oh poo poo! I forgot there was a traditional games subforum!

The last person I asked about online campaigns suggested finding a group on 4chan (loving 4chan) so I’ll definitely hit up that subforum when I’m able to.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Have I got good news for you: that gang still does live play podcast as Six Feats Under. http://www.sixfeatsunder.com/

Omg this is the greatest news

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

NowonSA posted:

I think they're going to keep it within the cast with occasional guest stars for whatever they do on the channel. You have the main attraction Thursday game, supplemented by handbooker helper and whatever else like that is in the pipe, and occasional oneshots. Put together all that and you have a pretty steady channel presence for youtube, and twitch is more of an occasional place to see it if you want to than a full-time streaming channel. Talks Machina is in the mix as well, if they can talk the G&S folks into making the archives of that not Alpha or twitch subscription exclusive, at least going forward, that's another show to plug in to be viewed whenever.

Everyone's too busy to do a second campaign at the same time as the current one, the only way that's happening is if they're legitimately making enough money from merch and all the other revenue streams that it's become a "quit your day job" situation, and as much as they talk about being broke voice actors they're pretty much all high-profile VA's who were popping up at cons before critical role had even taken off, plus Liam and Sam do voice direction, so it's not like everyone taking home $10k a year more is going to be the difference maker there. It's also just really not a good idea to hitch your horse 100% to streaming d&d. There's been a surge in interest there led by critical role, but I think it'd be a really bad life decision to scale down the professional career you've spent your whole life building up to put out 2 games a week.

With all that said it's not a bad idea to get a second campaign hosted on the channel and with the same crew shooting it, but with none or very few of the actual CR cast on camera for it. Kind of get a next generation thing going and possibly pass the torch when the OG crew wants to walk away, though that's about 2 years away at the earliest and probably more like 5 years from now after a third campaign. It wouldn't surprise me if that's an idea they're at the very early planning stages of, trying to put together a list of who should be on it and what that might look like. While people have a lot of love for the cast I think that love and the critical role brand can transfer on to others relatively smoothly if done the right way. Or to put it another way, any 2nd table they put together would probably start with at least 20k viewers for the first game (quite possibly more like 40k), and that's one hell of a launchpad and really sets people up to succeed.

I know that I, personally, would tune into a second campaign that featured Ashly Burch. She was great in CR, seemed to make time for it and, from what I can tell, enjoyed the experience.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Cheston posted:

Sumalee Montano, absolutely. Nila was her second time playing D&D and she nailed it. I really want to see her in a larger role.

Not to mention her gushing about the experience when she thought the cameras were off. :3:

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I love how hosed Off Travis is at this animals guy. Laura really wants a puppy.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE ANIMALS' STEALTH CHECKS

get out of my head.

All of these animals are going to loving die.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

So the animals kinda overshadowed most of the episode, but personally I want to know wtf is up with Gustav. What the Christ was in that whisper?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

My favorite Orion moment is when he tries to offer Sam a piece of food he’s already taken a bite out of and Sam just has a look of abject disgust.

It was at some point in the underdark arc iirc.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Sam’s songs are great. Sam’s limericks are legendary.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

ROFL Octopus posted:

I like Beau but if she were replaced by Vinnie the Pooh and we got more of Marisha’s insanely good Marlon Brando impression, I wouldn’t complain

I’d honestly like to see one of the female players play a male character. After all, every male cast member has played a female character except for Travis.

Edit: I’m including all the one shots I’ve seen

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 28, 2019

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

So that makes this the fifth most successful kickstarter of all time, right?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Alacron posted:

I started getting into this recently, since I've got long commutes and need stuff to listen to so I've been downloading the podcast. I know that it's probably better watching the videos, and I have caught some highlights, but I really just don't have that kind of time.

Either way though, I never expected to enjoy this as much as I have been. After a week I've finished episode 11 of the first campaign. Some thoughts:

-I don't care if Trinket is useless, he's worth it just to have Mercer make bear noises.
-Tiberius can either be really amusing or really annoying, his parts of the K'varn fight were genuinely uncomfortable, but "I encourage violence" was great.
-Travis plays an idiot really well, and yet it feels weirdly in character how Grog has an encyclopedic knowledge of everything in the bag of holding.
-Percy seems to be just kind of... there? He's been getting more of presence though, maybe it was how I kept getting Sam's, Liam's, and Taliesen's voices confused when I first started listening.
-Keyleth is kinda weird for me, her breakdown after the fight with the Duergar King felt out of place, but maybe she's going somewhere with it?
-Vax has that annoying habit of insisting he scout around all them time, and it often just leaves the rest of the characters twiddling their thumbs. Thankfully, Scanlan fucks it up as often as not.
-Speaking of, Scanlan seems like the type of character who should be really, really loving annoying, but is consistently the best. I don't know if it's all down to Sam's performance/improv, or the fact having everyone else laugh at his jokes and that's infectious.
-Pike is also just kinda there for the most part, though she's got good dynamics with both Scanlan and Grog, so we'll see where that goes.
-Matt is kind of amazing at everything? I'm not sure what else to say.

Great show, looking forward to more.

A lot more.

oh jesus so many episodes

In regards to taliesen/Percy, he was having issues with his meds that got resolved a few episodes after where you currently are and becomes a much bigger presence. Around episode 28 he gets his moment in the spotlight, and really starts to shine.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

That was probably the horniest episode in CR history

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

dazoner posted:

Don’t do it to yourself. Twitch chat for small streams = good. Twitch chat for large streams = cesspool

CR twitch chat is virtually nothing but idiots spamming “TPK” anyway.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Pussy Quipped posted:

I believe the animated series is only covering the Briarwood arc, but if they end up making more then yeah it will be a cool set piece.

They’re green lit for two seasons and supposedly the briarwood arc will only be season 1z

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

I am looking forward to Dani's S2 before Ep 100, just to make sure I'm up-to-date. Thanks to the holiday I won't have a problem watching the ep live, we'll see how that continues if I have to start going back into the office in a couple of weeks.

Are the pre-recorded sessions airing at the usual time or did the change the schedule?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

This is completely anecdotal, so make it that what you will, but I’m pretty outspoken about my gender identity issues and queer representation re:CR on twitter+elsewhere, and at most I’ve been confronted by a handful of bigoted wankstains with any attachment to the community. It’s reminiscent of the centrist dems whining that Bernie wasn’t personally policing every single one of his supporters on the internet.

Also,I get the impression that if there was any conclusive evidence of hateful behavior from CR themselves it would be included in the time the person wrote since they’re trying to make such a spectacle of it.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lucas Archer posted:

Honestly, this, right here. The last fandom I was involved in as a *fan* was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I don't know if anyone remembers the old official forum, The Bronze, for Buffy, but it was where I really started posting online. And it devolved into the same insane bullshit every fandom devolves into, because when you create something entertaining and fun, you're going to attract humans. And humans can be absolute shitheads. And it splinters and fractions and drives people to one side or another and there will be assholes on all sides, even the "right" side because some people are just assholes, even if they are an rear end in a top hat for a good cause. And until we can correct that behavior, just DON'T BE A loving rear end in a top hat YOU SHITHEADS, it will always happen that way. But assholes are loud and annoying and the majority of people are very conflict-adverse, so it's the assholes on both sides that run the conversations.

Note, I'm specifically talking about fandoms here, not any other group of people. Fandoms are the loving worst.

Case in point: The time Voltron fans threatened to burn down the animation studio unless they made their ship of choice canon.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I think the pandemic did more brains in than any other 21st century event other than 9/11, as there's been more drama per day in the last 5 months than any other point I can reasonably remember.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

There’s some dueling brain worms going on where some people are incapable of separating the players from their characters and assume that they endorse everything their characters do, and others who have abstracted the characters so distantly from their players that they can’t comprehend real world factors and motivations informing certain actions and character traits.

Both camps would benefit greatly from logging the gently caress off.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Not to derail too much, but this was absolutely correct. While there was a lot to complain about the politics and story elements in Voltron it seems the loudest would, without fail, pick exactly the wrong reasons to be upset and all of them relating to shipping. Same thing sort of happened with The Dragon Prince.

My exposure to the dragon prince fandom was mostly just the thread on this very forum; how did shipping even factor into fan grievance? Like, the relationships are pretty clear cut in that show.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

There it was apparently the show's creator leading some fans to think one of the characters was bisexual (and this was the weird part, he did it in Twitter DMs to the fans themselves and like who does that) and of course the character was never written as such. Both shows were super bad about representation from the top down.

Oh so it was an ehasz thing.

I thought it was pretty cool how there were two onscreen same sex kisses and it was neat that there was a deaf character who was treated like a normal member of the cast, but I'm not deaf so I can't really comment on the quality of representation there, and IIRC the LGBT rep veered into "bury your gays" territory at a steady clip.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

tsob posted:

I'm starting to feel like I might be in a minority in that I just don't give a poo poo what romantic pairing a story goes with in 99% of cases and I'm more invested in whether the pairing the story goes with is well written, interesting and/or entertaining or not. I don't even particularly mind if it's not well written, interesting or entertaining, since a lot of romance stuff in stories where it's not the focus isn't great, but if I was to have a concern about the romance aspect of a story it'd be "is this good", not "is this the pairing I want". Which isn't even a concern with Critical Role honestly, since the cast have such great chemistry and improv skills that I am 100% confident it'll be at least okay regardless of who ends up pairing with who.

That said, I did think Guilmore/Vax was more entertaining than Keylith/Vax in campaign one, just because Matt and Liam tended to bounce well off each other and have some fun interactions, but then, if they had become a couple, Liam would probably have ramped up the melodrama of that relationship instead of his interactions with Marisha, where I probably enjoyed Guilmore/Vax specifically because they were mostly just having fun rather than trying for any real depth in their relationship.

This is kinda why I like Shadowgast as a concept, since Essek fits into Liam’s penchant for melodrama perfectly. However, there are people who would cry bloody murder if that ship doesn’t materialize and I will never understand that.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Sam’s hair/beard situation in the level up vid is really evocative of Taika Waititi for some reason.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

We'll be able to track recording schedules based on Sam's hair...

I don't know how much prep time Mercer needs for each episode, but I could see them filming 2-3 eps in a week, wait two weeks, retest, repeat.

Iirc Matt said he puts two hours of prep into every hour of play, so 2-3 episodes a week would be a bit of a crunch, depending on what else he has going on...

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Hey, have they said if the vod will be uploaded to YouTube at the usual time, or has that been expedited since it’s prerecorded now?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Thinking it might be worth it to reup my twitch subscription, if not for tonight’s episode, for future ones due to east coast problems.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I can’t exactly wrap my head around what this guy thought he would accomplish.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Yeah, that’s like, company operations 101.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I don’t want to trample on people’s “I can’t wait to see this animated” fun too much, but approaching this scene from a scripted standpoint leaves me anxious. Yeah, it’s one of THE scenes from S1 that people are desperate to see, but a lot of what makes it work are the trappings of impromptu actions and the trappings of a table top game. Like, how do you visually represent failed dice rolls leading to trouble with a ratty rear end door, when, narratively, this party steamrolled an army of skeletons moments prior? A lot of the touchstone moments in CR are dependent on the meta narrative of A Game Being Played, and I don’t know how a lot of the “must-haves” will translate to television.

E: I guess a group failing to open a door after slaughtering an army of the dead can still be funny separate from the game, but my overall point still stands. They’re going to need to change a LOT, and fans will inevitably be mad.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 9, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

tsob posted:

There are dozens of examples they can look at on YouTube already that fans have done of various scenes if they really want to incorporate the random dice rolls in to the animation, but really, I don't see why the humour of the scene couldn't be portrayed simply through timing and good animation of the groups reactions to various elements of the scene. Scanlon already knows early on that he can solve the issue pretty easily, and is mostly just going along on the ride to humour Vax so his resigned curiosity and indignity at being hurt by the things he does can still work. As can his matter of fact greeting to his unseen servant. Percy can still be surprised to recall he actually has a sword, and give a quick run down of how useless it is etc. There's nothing there that seems inherently difficult to convey in a scripted format to me. Even as a reason as to why they'd have trouble with a door, it's basically just that they're overthinking a simple problem in conjunction with the fact that the door requires brute strength to open, and they're all physically weak characters who specialize in other ways that allow them to kick rear end in fights despite their weakness. Something that's already built in to the scene anyway. It sounds to me like you're just overthinking this yourself, honestly.

Like, yeah, a good roll might have allowed them to push the bar up with the sword, but Matt would probably have described it such a way that it emphasized the improbability that 3 relatively weak characters had to strain to do it, and you can incorporate the fact they didn't succeed just by showing them not straining so hard and giving up quickly, simply because Scanlon hurt his hand and it didn't seem like it was going to work i.e. the description Matt actually gives in general to those kind of failed rolls. The dice roll itself isn't important, just the outcome. Which you can absolutely convey regardless of whether the dice are there or not.

Time works differently in different formats, and yeah, the D'n'D sessions are 4+ hours long on a regular basis, but a lot of those 4 hours are the cast just chatting or describing things for several minutes that would play out in seconds in animation. There'll still be changes that people will be mad about regardless, but I don't think they'll have to cut as much as you think at the very least.

Yeah, that was a particularly bad example, especially because I’ve done something similar myself re: translating tabletop minutia into animation. There are ways around most of this stuff, sure (especially because they have “i’mma fix this script” Marc bernadin on staff), but my point was more that the changes will have to be substantial, which another poster already addressed (fans’ll be mad, no matter what).

So now I’m just wondering how they’ll translate spell/skill casting, since the players exposit spells and skills in ways their characters, in universe, wouldn’t. Like, even the smoothest animatics usually include the “I cast x” parts. This isn’t an indictment or anything, I’m just gleefully curious how they’d do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

TotalHell posted:

I imagine this would be done in the same way spellcasting is done in other visual media: some sort of made-up verbal or somatic component that is consistent for each spell. If the spell is a bit obtuse they can indicate what it is they’re trying to do in conversation: i.e. “I might be able to burn this down” or just an indication like “stand back” or whatever. Lots of ways to signal what might be coming without having to specifically say “I cast Bigby’s Hand” or whatever.

I guess part of my problem is I have less faith in the audience than I realistically should.