Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

I'm a big fan of CR, and along with others recommend skipping the first few episodes, or just podcast them so you don't have to set aside a large chunk of time. As people have said, the early episodes are the slowest and have the least long term impact on the campaign wrt storyline and characterization. THAT SAID, there are some pretty goddamn funny moments in the Underdark as well as meeting two fantastic NPCs.

But do not skip Trial of the Take. It introduces a couple of guest's that will continue to make appearances through campaign 1, as well as starting an extremely long running side thread that gets paid off in epic fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Jesus this episode was bananas.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

I'm sad I missed the first half of the episode. I've read about the hospital shenanigans and I can't wait until Monday to check it out and see it first hand.

The latter half of the episode though - holy poo poo. Everything from the initial break in, to the hilarious rug trap (which was a brilliant move by Matt, making them think they found another flying carpet), the stand off between Fjord, Nott and Caleb - and that's all just build up to the real climax of the night - the suicide bombing and the attack by the Cricks. And of course, in all true best CR episode fashion, it ends on a cliffhanger with an enemy rushing in to do battle with them. Even heavily wounded, I'm betting this guy will be a tough fight. Jester has already said she's out of spells.

While I enjoy the Caleb/Nott antics, I'm glad Fjord caught him this time and called him out on it. If I was a player I'd be a little irritated at his larceny streak, but as long as the other people at the group are okay with it, then more power to them. I think this will be an ongoing source of tension but I don't think it will result in Caleb/Nott leaving the party.

Edit: Unrelated to last nights episode, but I did want to mention that if anyone is new to the show and is working their way through C1, there are quite a few one-shots in there. None are required viewing for plot/characterization purposes, but I did want to say if you only watch one or two of them, watch Bunions and Flagons (Grog runs a D&D game for Vax, Vex, Percy and Scanlan - I haven't belly laughed so hard in a long time) and Marisha's Honey Heist.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2018 around 16:18

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

GoneRampant posted:

I will back up what has been said about the most recent episode though, which was a complete trip. I haven't been as fond of the new gang as Vox Machina (Beau feels like Marisha low-key ripping off another character from the Avatar franchise only this time it's Korra and Caleb's kleptomania/hoarding of items is one of my personal D&D banes) but it really came together into a great episode. I've been skimming some of the newer episodes but I may go back and watch the city episodes in full now.

Either way, this is definitely going down as where the campaign finds its feet.
I recall an interview or panel with Marisha where she has said she wasn't actually thinking about Korra when making Beau. The color scheme similarity along with Marisha's well known love of A:TLA gave fans the impression Korra was the inspiration for the character.

As far as Caleb's kleptomania goes, I have to think that as actors these people are thinking about their characters in terms of not only D&D stuff, but in terms of a storyline/characterization/character growth. I doubt Liam is planning on Caleb continuing to pilfer magic items through the whole campaign - it seems to me this is just an opportunity for character growth for Caleb. Conflict is required to bring about that change. I'm betting this will be resolved in character.

All speculation of course. Like I've said, as long as all the players are okay with it, then I'm fine with it and I'll go along for the ride.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at Apr 3, 2018 around 20:33

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah sure, it's this guy. There's no conclusive proof that it's Orion but he blocked literally everyone who even suggested it might be and the twitter account has gone out of its way to harass his ex-girlfriend and all his ex-friends. Could it be just a rabid fan? Sure. But Orion's been awfully silent about it.

Thatís some hosed up poo poo.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Woo, pretty intense episode last night. I'm glad they confronted Nott and Caleb about the attempted theft of the scroll case, and I really think the issue was one of communication. While tough to justify in the heat of the moment, if Caleb had drawn everyone's attention to the scroll case and explain that it could be worth more than the entire payday (and the plan of "leave no trace" was already hosed), he could have talked them into it. I don't think (at least I hope) it wouldn't happen again. But who knows!

Speculation ahead, but if I were DMing this group then I would remember a couple of things: the guard that was holding the macguffin was tripped by Jester (witnessed by multiple guards) and a guard he did not recognize took the orb. Said guard then cast a spell on him (which he would know after it wore off, right?), then disappeared with the macguffin. So, worst case scenario, the higher ups probably think the device is still in the city, and there is a person of interest to find and talk to: Jester. She created the distraction that led to the disappearance of the item. I'd be careful sticking my face out in the street for the next little while.

To be honest though, it always feels like speculation is pointless since the major outside plot beats come from Mercer's head, and we have zero idea how the players will react and change the story at any given moment.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2018 around 23:21

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Sion" post=""48288549 posted:

Also, I'm in the EU! I can only watch on YouTube. Is there any chance we could get an 'until Monday spoiler policy' or something?

Good call. Apologies.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Zeratanis posted:

Yeah, Laura got real loving mad at him at a skill check involving her shooting something, to keep vague in case you haven't seen it.

Spoilers about this bit: If I remember correctly, Laura was trying for a really difficult shot, made it against all odds, and everyone was super excited. Then Orion, who either wasn't paying attention (a generous interpretation), or who was (then he's even more of a dick), cast a spell that would have made Laura's shot pointless after the fact. I still remember her face falling like "what the gently caress, man?". Matt tried to weave it into his narrative by describing Vex's awesome shot, then Tiberius just kind of helped out at the end, but still. That was a real dick move.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Who else is super excited for tonight's episode? The entire gang should be there (hopefully Laura is feeling better after her bout with the plague). Spoilers for C1-The first real dungeon crawl of the new campaign! And they won't have all the super awesome abilities that VM had to just bypass large parts of the dungeon. I still remember Matt's face when Keyleth and Pike used earthquake spells to just crush Vecna's tower and destroy that entire dungeon he had planned.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

NowonSA posted:

The tower wasn't so much a dungeon as a series of fights, and I think the Gnoll mines was a decent dungeon crawl, certainly moreso than we typically saw in Campaign 1. Here's hoping it's at least as beefy as the gnoll crawl was, I'm down for some conventional spell conservation and "we gotta take a short rest in the middle here" stuff to happen.

If Mercer busts out a traditional dungeon map and they toss that sucker on the stream I will really, really love it, I don't expect it but I'm a sucker for that classic feel after I had a fair amount of those maps to work through in a previous pathfinder campaign.
Oh yeah, that's my poo poo. I'd love to see a good old fashioned dungeon map, ala the one we saw when they (early C1 spoilers) infiltrated the duergar fortress in the underdark.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Hulk Smash! posted:

Found this show some weeks back and have now caught up with all of campaign 2. Now I have to wait for the next episode like... some kind of waiting person... instead of binging.

Seriously considering starting campaign 1 but I get the feeling that it'd be confusing following both simultaneously.
I don't think that would be a problem, especially if you're listening to podcasts to catch up. The voices and style of campaign are very different - it's a very different feel.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Teddybear posted:

He's an egomaniacal dipshit.
Either that, or he just want paying attention. These are not mutually exclusive options. Thatís the one thing that bugs me as a DM: players just not paying attention when itís not their turn so I have to reiterate things 5 times in one round.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Iím not shocked at all. Hardwick has always struck me as a mild shithead, and this just confirms thatís heís even worse.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Man, the dice gods are not being kind to Khary tonight.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

RC Cola posted:

Nope. You're spot on for both.
I can still hear Liam in my mind saying ' look into my MIND. It's grating.
Other than the Orion bullshit, that was the most cringe moment in C1 for me. Jesus Liam, let it go!

Wait, the Rothfuss letter and every time he was on screen was worse.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Bah. Iím an old curmudgeon who doesnít like things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Haha holy poo poo that was absolutely ridiculous. Everything that could have gone wrong did and somehow they still got away from the situation.

The level of unintentional chaos the M9 leaves behind them is a wonder to behold sometimes.