Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm a big fan of CR, and along with others recommend skipping the first few episodes, or just podcast them so you don't have to set aside a large chunk of time. As people have said, the early episodes are the slowest and have the least long term impact on the campaign wrt storyline and characterization. THAT SAID, there are some pretty goddamn funny moments in the Underdark as well as meeting two fantastic NPCs.

But do not skip Trial of the Take. It introduces a couple of guest's that will continue to make appearances through campaign 1, as well as starting an extremely long running side thread that gets paid off in epic fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Jesus this episode was bananas.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm sad I missed the first half of the episode. I've read about the hospital shenanigans and I can't wait until Monday to check it out and see it first hand.

The latter half of the episode though - holy poo poo. Everything from the initial break in, to the hilarious rug trap (which was a brilliant move by Matt, making them think they found another flying carpet), the stand off between Fjord, Nott and Caleb - and that's all just build up to the real climax of the night - the suicide bombing and the attack by the Cricks. And of course, in all true best CR episode fashion, it ends on a cliffhanger with an enemy rushing in to do battle with them. Even heavily wounded, I'm betting this guy will be a tough fight. Jester has already said she's out of spells.

While I enjoy the Caleb/Nott antics, I'm glad Fjord caught him this time and called him out on it. If I was a player I'd be a little irritated at his larceny streak, but as long as the other people at the group are okay with it, then more power to them. I think this will be an ongoing source of tension but I don't think it will result in Caleb/Nott leaving the party.

Edit: Unrelated to last nights episode, but I did want to mention that if anyone is new to the show and is working their way through C1, there are quite a few one-shots in there. None are required viewing for plot/characterization purposes, but I did want to say if you only watch one or two of them, watch Bunions and Flagons (Grog runs a D&D game for Vax, Vex, Percy and Scanlan - I haven't belly laughed so hard in a long time) and Marisha's Honey Heist.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 30, 2018

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

GoneRampant posted:

I will back up what has been said about the most recent episode though, which was a complete trip. I haven't been as fond of the new gang as Vox Machina (Beau feels like Marisha low-key ripping off another character from the Avatar franchise only this time it's Korra and Caleb's kleptomania/hoarding of items is one of my personal D&D banes) but it really came together into a great episode. I've been skimming some of the newer episodes but I may go back and watch the city episodes in full now.

Either way, this is definitely going down as where the campaign finds its feet.
I recall an interview or panel with Marisha where she has said she wasn't actually thinking about Korra when making Beau. The color scheme similarity along with Marisha's well known love of A:TLA gave fans the impression Korra was the inspiration for the character.

As far as Caleb's kleptomania goes, I have to think that as actors these people are thinking about their characters in terms of not only D&D stuff, but in terms of a storyline/characterization/character growth. I doubt Liam is planning on Caleb continuing to pilfer magic items through the whole campaign - it seems to me this is just an opportunity for character growth for Caleb. Conflict is required to bring about that change. I'm betting this will be resolved in character.

All speculation of course. Like I've said, as long as all the players are okay with it, then I'm fine with it and I'll go along for the ride.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 3, 2018

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah sure, it's this guy. There's no conclusive proof that it's Orion but he blocked literally everyone who even suggested it might be and the twitter account has gone out of its way to harass his ex-girlfriend and all his ex-friends. Could it be just a rabid fan? Sure. But Orion's been awfully silent about it.

That’s some hosed up poo poo.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Woo, pretty intense episode last night. I'm glad they confronted Nott and Caleb about the attempted theft of the scroll case, and I really think the issue was one of communication. While tough to justify in the heat of the moment, if Caleb had drawn everyone's attention to the scroll case and explain that it could be worth more than the entire payday (and the plan of "leave no trace" was already hosed), he could have talked them into it. I don't think (at least I hope) it wouldn't happen again. But who knows!

Speculation ahead, but if I were DMing this group then I would remember a couple of things: the guard that was holding the macguffin was tripped by Jester (witnessed by multiple guards) and a guard he did not recognize took the orb. Said guard then cast a spell on him (which he would know after it wore off, right?), then disappeared with the macguffin. So, worst case scenario, the higher ups probably think the device is still in the city, and there is a person of interest to find and talk to: Jester. She created the distraction that led to the disappearance of the item. I'd be careful sticking my face out in the street for the next little while.

To be honest though, it always feels like speculation is pointless since the major outside plot beats come from Mercer's head, and we have zero idea how the players will react and change the story at any given moment.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 7, 2018

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
[quote="Sion" post=""48288549"]

Also, I'm in the EU! I can only watch on YouTube. Is there any chance we could get an 'until Monday spoiler policy' or something?
[/quote]

Good call. Apologies.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Zeratanis posted:

Yeah, Laura got real loving mad at him at a skill check involving her shooting something, to keep vague in case you haven't seen it.

Spoilers about this bit: If I remember correctly, Laura was trying for a really difficult shot, made it against all odds, and everyone was super excited. Then Orion, who either wasn't paying attention (a generous interpretation), or who was (then he's even more of a dick), cast a spell that would have made Laura's shot pointless after the fact. I still remember her face falling like "what the gently caress, man?". Matt tried to weave it into his narrative by describing Vex's awesome shot, then Tiberius just kind of helped out at the end, but still. That was a real dick move.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Who else is super excited for tonight's episode? The entire gang should be there (hopefully Laura is feeling better after her bout with the plague). Spoilers for C1-The first real dungeon crawl of the new campaign! And they won't have all the super awesome abilities that VM had to just bypass large parts of the dungeon. I still remember Matt's face when Keyleth and Pike used earthquake spells to just crush Vecna's tower and destroy that entire dungeon he had planned.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

NowonSA posted:

The tower wasn't so much a dungeon as a series of fights, and I think the Gnoll mines was a decent dungeon crawl, certainly moreso than we typically saw in Campaign 1. Here's hoping it's at least as beefy as the gnoll crawl was, I'm down for some conventional spell conservation and "we gotta take a short rest in the middle here" stuff to happen.

If Mercer busts out a traditional dungeon map and they toss that sucker on the stream I will really, really love it, I don't expect it but I'm a sucker for that classic feel after I had a fair amount of those maps to work through in a previous pathfinder campaign.
Oh yeah, that's my poo poo. I'd love to see a good old fashioned dungeon map, ala the one we saw when they (early C1 spoilers) infiltrated the duergar fortress in the underdark.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Hulk Smash! posted:

Found this show some weeks back and have now caught up with all of campaign 2. Now I have to wait for the next episode like... some kind of waiting person... instead of binging.

Seriously considering starting campaign 1 but I get the feeling that it'd be confusing following both simultaneously.
I don't think that would be a problem, especially if you're listening to podcasts to catch up. The voices and style of campaign are very different - it's a very different feel.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Teddybear posted:

He's an egomaniacal dipshit.
Either that, or he just want paying attention. These are not mutually exclusive options. That’s the one thing that bugs me as a DM: players just not paying attention when it’s not their turn so I have to reiterate things 5 times in one round.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

I’m not shocked at all. Hardwick has always struck me as a mild shithead, and this just confirms that’s he’s even worse.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Man, the dice gods are not being kind to Khary tonight.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

RC Cola posted:

Nope. You're spot on for both.
I can still hear Liam in my mind saying ' look into my MIND. It's grating.
Other than the Orion bullshit, that was the most cringe moment in C1 for me. Jesus Liam, let it go!

Wait, the Rothfuss letter and every time he was on screen was worse.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Bah. I’m an old curmudgeon who doesn’t like things.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Haha holy poo poo that was absolutely ridiculous. Everything that could have gone wrong did and somehow they still got away from the situation.

The level of unintentional chaos the M9 leaves behind them is a wonder to behold sometimes.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I’m a fan of Beau and her particular way of dealing with insanity. I just really don't like the weird sexual harassment she lays on Yasha.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

chitoryu12 posted:

With how close friends everyone is (and Yasha's partial reciprocation), I'm pretty sure it's all pre-approved by Ashley and Marisha isn't doing anything that Ashley is uncomfortable with.

Maybe so. I still get an icky feeling when it happens.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I was super icked out by Scanlan doing that as well - him attempting to look down Kima's shirt is a good example of something I really didn't like. He mellowed out a lot as C1 continued on. I'm still a fan of Sam and Marisha, or I wouldn't be watching. I'm just not a fan of casual sexual harassment played for laughs.

Edit: Ha, kind of beaten on my first point. While I disliked Beau's treatment of Caleb in the earlier episodes, the later ones have really made me like her as a growing character.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Sam is going to wear that picture as a shirt one of these days.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
That was easily the most tense episode start to end of Campaign 2. I think part of it had to do with they are up to level 7 and have all these new toys to play with.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I can’t imagine anyone actually believing that CR is scripted. That sounds like bullshit reasoning because some assholes just don’t like it when people are enjoying themselves.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Deeper cuts

Why is only my dick purple?
Captain Tusktooth was here
The search for Captain Buttonbeard
Welcome to Xhorhassic Park

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

IronSaber posted:

Whatup goons! I just started listening to Critical Role last month (on episode 3 of the first campaign). I saw at the beginning of this thread there was some contention on if it was worth listening/watching the first campaign all the way through; is this still the case?

No contention here. C1 is great and a wild ride. Just be aware that Tiberius leaves in episode 25 or 26, and never comes back, nor will he. Enjoy yourself!

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Narsham posted:

Why is it wrong for a bunch of people to express the hope that it will? That's being supportive and involved, not being toxic and trying to get people to withdraw their pledges. I don't know who in this thread you're arguing with. And I certainly don't know who out of the thread is making these suggestions; they certainly aren't here to read this response, if they exist at all.

Matt ran Force Grey (or Gray, I can't be bothered to check) as a mini-campaign. I think he could run a 10-session mini-campaign once a year, maybe even twice a year, without burning out. If he runs in his own campaign world and not in WotC's he could fill in parts of the story we're not seeing; the mini-campaign results could affect the main campaign and its cast might even make individual guest appearances.

That is a cool loving idea.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
What if just looking into the dodecahedron is what “consecrates” a person? The entire M9 has done that.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Beau is good, Nott is good, Molly was good.

I have to fight myself to stop thinking about this story as a traditional story, with character growth at appropriate moments and plot beats all timed perfectly and expertly to craft a narrative with zero holes. These folks are improvising the entire time. That's hard enough to do without going into continuity, character beats, making sure everyone at the table has their time to shine, as well as just having fun. For example: Nott thirsting after that minotaur. If this was a book, that would be a weird moment, not really in line with what we know about Nott. But this isn't a book and Sam saw an opportunity to get a good laugh. More power to him.

The instant the game gets sterilized to make sure everyone is appropriately "in character" or grows the way we think they should because of our constant consumption of narrative fiction, is the instant the game loses it's magic, IMO. This is a different form of storytelling and we shouldn't follow traditional ideas of how that story should be told.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
If you're not watching Travis Willinghams Yee-Haw Gaming Ranch, and you like watching two friends just bust on each other and play games like GTA5 and CoD, then you should check it out. Travis and Brian have great chemistry together. Also, whatever the hell metaplot they are cooking up in the background is one of those little touches that just gets me in the right spot.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Nuggan posted:

Remember the prophesy...

I honestly think Travis has no freaking clue what is going on, and Brian and Marisha are just creating this ridiculous plot in the background and all of his reactions are genuine befuddlement and confusion.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
That was brilliant.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Really want to know who voiced Trinket in that bit. It didn't sound like any of the usual cast - maybe Friedle or Foster?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Two Tone Shoes posted:

There's no singular thing that caused it, so singling any particular thing out as "Oh maybe this one thing wasn't so bad" is missing the point. A bunch of awful behavior built up to where any good will or joking atmosphere with him was eroded. When you've slowly lost all your comfort with someone, suddenly gross jokes aren't just "oh you!" moments and they're just gross.

Him doubling down on it and his other issues probably mean that this stuff came up after the game and that's when it all ended for myriad reasons.

Yeah, I was going to say that Tibs letter to his father wasn't, in a vacuum, such a serious faux pas or anything. Hell, that's the kind of thing I'd like a player to do, with the full understanding it probably won't work or not work in the player wants it to. Be that as it may, like you said Orion had squandered all possible benefit of the doubt by that time and it just seemed incredibly self-serving.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
While the stretch goals are cool and fun (and Travis' haunted house adventure will be legendary, given the build up by the rest of the group), I'm just happy they were able to raise a lot of money over their initial projections. I have confidence they want this to be super awesomely animated, and the more money for that they have, the better.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Matt tearing up that sheet of paper was ice cold.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Pinwiz11 posted:

Five. The story starts in episode two and happens in the first few minutes of the episodes.

lol "the story"

Yee Haw puppet theater is nothing but chaos unleashed, and it's absolutely marvelous.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

RC Cola posted:

Im on s2 e44. I can see what y'all were talking about when you said it went off the rails.

Ps I only see the podcast up to episode 51. Did they stop uploading them?

Gotta switch to the official Critical Role podcast, it has a black logo. Everything 51 and before is on the Geek and Sundry critical role podcast.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Yeah, I think that's been very clear that Liam values RP potential over any mechanical possibilities.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Patrovsky posted:

That's what I figured, but just wanted to check. Seems like the only way to work with that would be if you chose your class after you did your ability scores.

Yep, that's how it happened. God help you if you wanted to play a Paladin or something, because you would have to roll until you got a 17 in Cha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I’m more into the game ranch lore than CR lore at this point.