Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Finally caught up. Kept up with campaign 2 until like episodes 20 but it got away from me so I binged through it all (yay being unemployed) in the last few weeks and what a roller coaster. Lots of highlights but the best have to be the dock fights (being vague for spoilers) for different reasons. One was the most hilarious train-wrecks I've ever seen. Them saying "I didn't intend" was so apt a summary for the whole thing but the results were extremely funny, especially Travis's reaction to everything. The other being somewhat of a train-wreck but they did a whole lot of fun, different things that it was probably the best episode in the entire Critical Role show. You could tell they were all having lots of fun in that situation in a really cool area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Latest episode was real good. Laura and Travis's reaction to Matt saying it was an ancient dragon was priceless.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just watch, they're going to go get the sword repaired but while it's being repaired they're going to do that heist, get caught then exiled from the city before they pick it up.

It'll be lost to time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The funny thing is, the woman offered them another job that involved murder (a monster).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's also funny is the woman told them to leave no traces. Gonna be something else when the changing of the guard happens and they find the third level guard stewing in their own gore.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Honestly, though, I live for this stuff. These guys excel at coming up with ultra complex plans that fall apart immediately and not because of poor rolls either. It's great!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Travis is having the time of his life.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't know 5th Edition D&D. Can you even be a warlock when in a pact with an actual deity? Isn't that the domain of priests and paladins?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a long piece of paper!

Can't wait to see what it does in two weeks

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mechanically, is he done leveling up Warlock and is just a Paladin from now on or can he choose which class to level up? Story-wise, it's most likely Paladin from here on out but I don't know how multiclass works in 5th Edition.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He should read "A People's History of the United States" It's hella good and it'll cure you of centrism (an affiliate of neo-liberalism).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Would be rad if everyone got along and loved each other but there are those out there who want to be accepted for who they are, be treated with dignity and have the right to pursue their happiness. Then there are others out there who think they should be erased completely, through any means, because they don't match the social default. It's a good notion, no one is disagreeing with that, but the statement itself, in this political climate, is the most naive, tone-deaf, privileged poo poo you could possibly post. One side is fighting for social justice while the other side are committing mass murder and flying flags of malice. So you'll have to excuse people to negatively reacting to that crap, especially if they're part of the population that are being targeted by right-wing malice groups.

Honestly, it's just a case of putting too much faith on a front-facing internet personality - especially one coming from a position of privilege. I hope the LGBTQ+ critter community exercises more cynicism towards their online celebrities. It sucks to learn that someone you're a fan of isn't quite as political as you hoped, or share the beliefs you have but that's just the way of things.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

eke out posted:

though in retrospect the "was told I’m transphobic/homophobic/apolitical by the people I’ve fought for" line is probably worse than the original post

Yeah, I saw that after I posted earlier and I agree. That's one, truly awful response to the backlash of posting something tone-deaf.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

eke out posted:

he seems to have now deleted that, which is probably smart too. again, if it had simply read

I was just looking at it too. Seems like he deleted it not long after I posted that too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Oh, come the gently caress on. People will throw this at his face for years. Doesn’t matter if he had apologized or not.

So then do nothing?

You can't control how people will react to your apology, but you can control how you react to the response to one of your ill-worded tweets. If you're a big of an ally as you claim to be, you'd apologize to those people whom you might have hurt or marginalized with your words. If you do nothing or double-down, then you might want to think about why you "fight" for that community and the way you "fight" for them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I doubt they're evil at all. Fanatical for sure, but like all peoples they're complicated. I assume people see that they're Drow and want them to be mustache twirling evil who stomp babies to death and have BDSM orgies in the name of an evil goddess.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

tsob posted:

Speaking of, I finally started going through the Vox Machina stuff starting at episode 29 (because I couldn't be arsed watching the Orion drama; though I may go back and watch earlier episodes at a later date) and even after only 4 episodes there's already a bunch of stuff I can't wait to see animated. Presuming they do animate all the stuff from the game in to the show; which I think is what they indicated their intention to be. Vax and Scanlan failing to open the door of the temple being an obvious one, but there's already two other failed door moments between Triceratops Scanlan taking two turns to break a door and everyone trying (and failing) to push a statue out of the way of the castle entrance before Pike does it all on her own. Rambo Scanlan, Trinket killing the vampire, Grog ripping the guys tongue out etc. should all be cool too. One of the moments I'm really looking forward to, and hoping does make it in despite being a smaller bit though, is when Keylith heats Vax's daggers so he can take on the zombie giant but Marisha thinks it still works like Pathfinder and doesn't realize she's just going to hurt Vax, so he's left holding scalding daggers while she's sitting there going "man, this is gonna be so cool".

I remember the heated daggers thing. Liam always takes stuff like that in strides and enjoys when it happens. Another one is when she turned everyone into those wispy air things thinking they'd be able to fight as them but they spend like 3 turns unable to do anything. Sam raking her over the coals after and everyone response to it was priceless.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Clarota was a pretty fantastic NPC in those early episodes. So good in fact, that Vox Machina trusted it over a halfling paladin.

Those early days sure were something!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's easy to forget that stuff, honestly.

Hi, it's me, the guy who casted Gate in Baldur's Gate before casting Protection from Evil. I love having my party getting their faces chewed off by a raging pit fiend!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bad dice rolls are a thing that can happen and screws plans, and you, up majorly but I honestly think that they all have a hard time focusing on the task at hand. The way Matt has the campaign set up is that they can be doing one of a thousand different things that are set up to be time-limited and they spent like the episode before last and the one before it wondering what the heck to do. Anyone who has juggled all manner of different side quests in any game can tell you that crap tickles a certain part of your brain.

I don't think the last campaign had this kind of pressure? Despite the world being set upon by supremely powerful dragons, they had a goal of setting out and finding powerful artifacts. Here they have no such defined breadcrumb trail - they have several.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Matt: Suddenly, a half dozen kobolds spring from a bush!
The Might Nein: Full-blown retreat! We gotta get the gently caress outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt: Umm...

Loss after loss after loss was just too much to bear for the Critical Role crew. Their confidence shattered. After they escaped the kobolds they ended the campaign. Their characters becoming farmers and sea traders. To this day, the campaign is a cautionary tales for all DMs to give their players a win... every now and then.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Essik is the big name put in charge of the bottom-tier sports team made up of outcasts and rebels who are terrible at what they do. It's up to him to turn them around with words of encouragement and proper guidance to show all the rest of the Dynasty naysayers that the Might Nein have it in them to win the championship and bring about peace to the world!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I hope y’all extensively vet every single business you give money or attention to so you have maximum praxis.

People do, and that's fine. You're in no position to judge them for caring about something you do not.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Neutrality favors the status quo, if you claim to have progressive values or consider yourself a Leftist then it's best to wear it on your sleeve. The status quo now is extremely conservative and has been for a very long time. A game or product that's often touted as "not political", if looked at closely, is very often conservative. What they did after the fact, in my opinion, was the right thing to do and was good of them to do it. It was a fun episode, even if Wendy's is a garbage corporation (redundant wording there). They mucked up then corrected and that's a very good thing in my book.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly I don't want politics involved with stuff like this, because it just causes miserable situations of bickering and unnecessary drama. And I don't consider being open and inclusive to be politics, those are just good traits.

They very much are, though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder if they'll ever tell Yussa of their home in the Dynasty or ask if he has any pals there, since he's a neutral "balance-the-world" type.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Gentleman is too much of a mercenary. They shouldn't bother with him unless it's for some below-the-cuff work to get away from world-saving stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The powers that be that await at their destination will see those marks of the dynasty the Nein have on themselves and will be made public enemy #1 on the spot.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They're going to have to ask Essek for help with this one. The Bright Queen's zealotry won't easily allow them to broker peace.

Goodness, I hope he's not the cultist mole in the Dynasty.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh man, I don't think I saw the group laugh as hard as they did this episode. Travis and, especially, Talisen just broke - the man was beet red.

The joke really friggan funny.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 20, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wonder when Beau is going to realize that she's part of the establishment now, in a non-jokey way. Organizations with very little overhead are never good, especially reactionary ones.

Hierarchical organizations, in general, are poop. Destroy them all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What really kills it too is that all the very useful items the group used through-out the first campaign were created by him. The communication earrings, Vex's blazing bow-string are the two I can name off the top of my head. They don't have an artificer this time around so no cool magic creations in this campaign (yet).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There's a general lack of smugness The Nein have that made Vox not terribly likable, in my opinion. Them being aware and joking that they did something diplomatically without killing someone or setting something on fire is one of their charms.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Considering his conversation with them about how consumed his society is by their religion, sounds like Essek is doing this because he wants to break the stranglehold of it on his people. The Bright Queen isn't exactly very reasonable when it comes to this stuff and has a very fatalistic view of the world.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Beastly. They have massive appetites and it's feeding time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Getting a fire going is a lot more tricky than you'd think. Gotta get the flue open, then get it primed by lighting some paper on fire and holding it up the chimney to heat the air to create that vacuum, then start with kindling and when you get a solid ember bed you can start throwing the big stuff on there. The first time we had a fire in our fireplace we had the same problem. Tons of smoke went back into the place. Ever since we took it slow and made sure the wood was nice and seasoned.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He always did have trouble removing parts of a whole.

Reverse math, if you will.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/vexahIia/status/1295795125579374592

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always attributed to their mercenary attitudes to them trying to be more neutral or chaotic characters and it not quite gelling with higher stakes. Be that a failure of roleplay, DMing or both is up to you to decide. I'm still behind on campaign 2 but even when they said they were going to try to be better "heroes" they don't really follow up on it entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Still one of my favorite moments in C2 was Matt preparing these elaborate rules for ship-to-ship combat then the group did what they always do and ruin his plans with some clever use of abilities.

Welp!