Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
This is just Matt loving with them, and I cannot blame him one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Senjuro posted:

They are really hellbent on remaining ignorant about what's going on here. Vess can answer literally all their questions, res her already.

On the other hand, I can understand why they wouldn’t want to resurrect a person who is both a cultist with unknown aims and a member of a powerful organization of wizards which they have very good reason to mistrust, who has unknown resources and abilities at her disposal, in the middle of a frigid wasteland. Even if she’s bereft of powers (unlikely given the tattoos), she’s going to be total dead weight they gotta drag around and watch carefully until they get somewhere they can stow her more permanently.

Even if they’re going to res her eventually, it’s probably smarter to wait until they’re as close to their destination as possible so they don’t have to drag her butt across as many miles of frozen wasteland.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

"Holy poo poo, what if we contacted the nation-state that we actually have a positive relationship with?"

Right?? They definitely need to phone up the Dynasty, you know they’ll help anyway they can if the M9 were like “yo we were tracking down some fuckery the Assembly was kicking up, now we gotta keep another Cosmic Big Bad locked up”

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Did they actually cut off Darogna’s head? I thought they were carrying her whole body. Did they get it confused with the head of that guy they took and then forgot about?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Senjuro posted:

Was there a reason only Jester's Inflict Wounds triggered the wild magic surge or did Matt just forget to do it for the other spells?

My guess is there’s some conditions that trigger it and “crit on a (leveled?) spell attack” is one.

Or Matt just forgot.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Weird take on the "D&D party burns down an orphanage" trope but OK.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

tsob posted:

Several of them are pure blood hunters, but the Elf is a rogue/blood hunter and Cree is a pure cleric apparently. Also, I'd rate the chances Matt tinkered with the class after Molly's death to prevent that kind of thing from happening pretty high.

No need to guess whether Matt's tinkered with the class, he published a new version of the class last year.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Well, that's a good start to tonight's session.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Finally making up for weeks of bad rolls tonight, geez.

Good use of it though, they’ve been flying totally blind for so long it’s about time we got some lore dumps and figure out what the gently caress is going on.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
“Be careful, a lot of beetles live in his staff”

“Actually I’m good thanks”

Also I haven’t seen any C1, what’s the big deal about this staff?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Hulk Smash! posted:

I think they're too entwined with D&D as a company to step away from it. I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love to see other systems used as well.

Maybe they could move to that system Matt's designing? Syndicult?

While Matt published the Wildemont book with WotC, I'm not sure they're tied to them too closely otherwise. They have a good relationship with D&D Beyond, but that's owned by Fandom (not WotC), who is publishing the Cortex RPG that's been getting spots recently. My guess is that if they move, it'll be either to Cortex (if they want to commit to that relationship) or to Matt's system (if they want to commit to building their own empire).

I could also see them branching out into multiple simultaneous campaigns, or doing a lot of short-run games like Undeadwood... once they don't have to deal with the corona-safe recording setup anymore.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember: the original plan was to not hurt anybody.

It’s a black op now. No living witnesses.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

Theory: Astrid fully expected this and intends to capitalize on it.

1,000%. See, they were clearly intent on killing more members of the assembly, look what they did to the guards!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
So like, after that shitshow I only see a few possible outcomes:
1) The M9 either decide to just take it on the lam and manage to get away, or kill Trent and then book it shortly thereafter. They're now almost certainly persona non grata in the empire, but that's a problem for after they save the world up in Aeor.
2) A significant portion of the M9 dies permanently or is captured in a way that takes them out of the game, at least for a while. If this happens, I think the game becomes "Okay, gently caress, how do we rescue our friends and/or find new ones to go save the world in Aeor, then go murderize Trent"
3) They end up making a deal with Trent, which sets up the next arc after Aeor. Maybe they can talk Trent into helping them turn Lucian into chunky salsa, either himself or by sending some Volstrucker with them, in exchange for (??? something loving bad) afterwards.

But no matter what happens, they can't stay and deal with this now, or else halfway through whatever they're doing, a chunk of a pre-Calamity city full of aberrations is going to fall out of the sky.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Funzo posted:

Trent was about to give them an incredibly bad deal to let them live.

1000%. Getting the gently caress out was absolutely the best move. They’re gonna have big problems in the empire later but eh, gently caress it, save the world first.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
So, how hard is Sam going to try to get Veth killed on this One Last Job?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

TotalHell posted:

Hmm Luc not mentioned in Cad’s heal; he either wasn’t in range or he DEAD dead.

Yeah, he wasn't mentioned and Yeza seems pretty panicked about whatever's over there. Definitely gonna be burning a diamond today (or tomorrow, if neither of the clerics have a third level slot left).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

PetraCore posted:

They have lots of diamonds! It's fine!

:ohdear:

It's 1000 gp worth of diamonds to do it next-day, right?

Raise Dead, (up to 10 days after death) is one diamond worth 500gp. Revivify is diamonds worth 300gp.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Matt's got some incredibly hot dice tonight.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Oh gently caress Yussa got his brain eaten.

E: well that’s one way to solve the “Yussa gonna be mad” problem. Just save his life, again.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
This would be an excellent time to maybe use your action to heal yourself, Ashley. With that ability you have to do that. That you even talked about using before.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mylan posted:

God drat I can hear Matt yelling "read your loving abilities" in his head

You can pinpoint the moment he gave up and went "eh, gently caress it, the lightning thing is more thematic anyway"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Jesus these things are rude. How much damage was that? Like 100?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder if this whole Lucian arc took Matt a bit by surprise. I mean, they got the vision of the city that kicked all this off from a Divine Intervention. Would they have still ended up here at this point if that hadn’t landed? Would they have gone to find Vandren or something and had the city come crashing into reality to everyone’s surprise?

It would kind of explain the “nope, you can’t find any info via any avenue about any of this poo poo” and “Lucian is a boring, personality-less hunk of poo poo” angles.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I think the intro changed but I didn't really catch it - what happened?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

What the hell did Cadeucus just do?

The thing he can do twice per short rest. Grave clerics can curse people to be vulnerable to the damage of the next attack that hits them with their channel divinity.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
These wisdom saving throws are gonna come back up at the absolute worst moment.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
What was that giant die Ashley used? I think it might be Wyrmwood’s tungsten T20, but if she keeps that in her dice bag, holy poo poo.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

seaborgium posted:

For C3 I'd love to see Liam do something crazy and be a dude without a massively tragic backstory about how his parents are dead and his family is dead and everyone he loves is dead and you just don't understand.

Me too, but I think playing a character who’s not Dark and Brooding would be a sign Liam got replaced by a pod person.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Raged posted:

Also C2 really really needed more guest players

I suspect we would have had a lot more in the past few months if basically the entire back half of this campaign wasn’t taking place during a pandemic. I agree though, it’s been so long since they’ve had a guest and it would be really nice to spice things up.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

They won't go to another system for their 'main' game because they are sponsored by D&D Beyond. Whatever they do will be 5E, but that's not to say that they couldn't play with the setting. Tallesin Jaffe Presents: Planescape would be legit awesome though

The one thing I’ll say to that is that D&D Beyond isn’t WotC, it’s Fandom, who now owns their own system, Cortex. I strongly suspect if they switch systems it would be to that one. Or that one Matt’s been working on if they really want to go all-in on their own brand but I think that’s much more likely to be a mini-campaign or something given it’s inherently cyberpunk.

I’ll add a Hell Yeah for Taliesin does Planescape though, that would be fantastic.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

NowonSA posted:

I think there's definitely room for another shorter campaign to run alongside the main CR cast. Once covid protocols are a thing of the past, get a crew together and tape some games in advance using the same set that the CR cast plays at. Gives it a fun feel of something different, and you get to bring in people who are too busy to commit to a long campaign like Ashly Burch. I'd be particularly interested in trying to bring in younger people like Mica Burton so that they start setting up some seeds to pass the torch to a new cast at some point down the line.

I think shorter secondary campaigns with a different (though overlapping) cast as the main campaign has been their plan for a while now. Undeadwood was kind of a test run, and now we’re seeing the ESO game which appears to be some kind of campaign. I think everything just got hosed over by COVID, and we’ll only see more of that kind of thing now that we’re starting to come out the other side.

Which is great - Critical Role is fantastic, but it’s also such an investment to follow one of the main campaigns. Shorter, like 5-10ish episode campaigns, would be a great way to show off the medium and build up the audience without having to say “cool, you liked that episode, now watch 75 more to catch up. Oh, and there’s a new one out every week”.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Senjuro posted:

No way she's not going with an elf for C3.

That or a short rest class. Like the warlock she originally wanted to play.

Honestly I’d like to see someone play just a good ol’ fighter. Did up a battlemaster fighter NPC for my Eberron game and now I want to play it in a game.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Oh man that divine intervention would have been incredible.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mage_Boy posted:

If anyone missed it and wants.to watch the Wendy's one shot I still have a link that worked a month or so ago when I last looked at it

I'd be interested in the Wendy's game. I'm really curious what was so awful they felt the need to scrub it from the internet.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Cheers, thanks!

Dawgstar posted:

It wasn't so much the game but that it was Wendy's.

Like Microsoft, Blizzard, WotC, whoever else they partner with doesn't also get up to shady poo poo? I really never got what was so wrong with Wendy's. Sure, they screw their employees and the people in their supply chain, but so does basically every other multinational corporation they do sponsored content for. What makes Wendy's so different?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, I'd be down for a campaign that largely takes place largely in one location with some sort of megadungeon as the primary obstacle. Mercer said at some point that the Happy Fun Ball was 100 chambers large which would put it probably on par with the Doomvaults reprint for 5e. I could see making something like that, but 5 floors of it and make it a campaign for level 1 - 10.

It would probably be turbo combat heavy though and would probably get sloggy and kind of one-note.

There's a couple of excellent supplements, "The Gardens of Ynn" and "The Stygian Library", which give a framework for randomly generating thematic encounters as the players progress through either an infinite garden or an infinite library respectively. It generates weirder/more dangerous encounters the "deeper" you go, but isn't super combat-heavy (unless you cause enough of a ruckus to attract attention, in which case, well, you asked for it). They're generally intended for making something like the happy fun ball - a side "dungeon" that can be explored to look for particular things, or just valuables. I've heard the format called a "depthcrawl" and I think you could make a pretty cool campaign around one.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

eke out posted:

lmao the reveal that matt colville was totally prepared to play a major spymaster NPC in the empire and then the party decided to tunnel to xhorhas instead

Well, now we know why campaign two didn’t have add many guests.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Jester has a nemesis. I love it.

E: just in case it wasn’t clear enough that Jester is the protagonist of this campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Senjuro posted:

On the one hand Halas was clearly not a good person, but on the other hand he appeared to mostly keep to himself and the only direct harm we know he caused was to unintelligent creatures and fiends. An eternity of solitary confinement, unable to leave or to die, seems like overkill, especially as he's being condemned to it by people he doesn't know or has ever affected.

Kill him or set him free but keeping him in the gem forever is hosed up.

While this is somewhat fair, it also doesn't really seem like being in the gem is really equivalent to solitary confinement. Halas didn't seem to have any conception of how much time had passed, and definitely didn't seem like someone who'd been in solitary for hundreds or thousands of years. Doesn't really seem equivalent to just throwing him in a prison cell or something.