Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I was lucky enough to find Geek and Sundry just in time to get in on the ground floor on their second campaign. Haven't caught a live show, though. It's also pretty amazing how different everything is at the start of campaign two compared to the first few sessions.

Part of that is just experience. They've been doing this most Thursdays for like 3 years now, so they're used to playing in front of a hundred thousand people on Twitch, and have a team that knows how to produce it in a way that's engaging for the stream viewers. But part of it is also the fact that the regular sessions have caused their play to evolve. Most of the cast have admitted that their characters didn't really have much backstory in the first campaign beyond the bare essentials that most of us that play TTRPGs would be familiar with doing when we put together a character the same day we start playing them (Sam and Marisha pretty blatantly cribbed theirs from outside sources, for instance: Scanlan is basically fantasy Eminem and Keyleth has an Avatar: The Last Airbender vibe, albeit one that Matt folded neatly into his setting). For the second one, they knew how much they enjoyed how the stories unfolded in the first one, so they made sure they had relatively fleshed out backstories, like Jester's mother, Beau's father and relationship to her monastic order, or whatever's happening with Molly's memories or Fjorde's pact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh yeah this is true. The B-Team with Orion has Will Friedle and Wil Wheaton, one of whom will be a reoccurring guest star and one of whom can't be a reoccurring guest star because he has an ancient curse placed upon him to defy all statistical probability and the other players deeply fear him.

Maybe Khary broke the curse a couple of weeks ago?

I also hope Wil and Mary drop in on this campaign. Maybe Mary could even drag Steve Blum in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

blackcross posted:

I've so happy this thread finally exists. I keep searching over and over, wondering if I'm just missing where discussion is or what.

I just started watching with Campaign 2 and have been absolutely loving it. The characters and the role playing is wonderful. Agreed on episode 8 and them just goofing around all episode is perfection.

I'm slowly making my way through the first campaign as well but the Underdark arc is very slow going for me. I may have to start skipping through some fights or listening on a faster speed until I get to more interesting parts. Glad to hear that Percy picks up some, he's been very "just there" for me so far.

Once they hit Vasselheim it seems like Tal's meds are a bit better so he engages a bit more and has some fun 'madman with a gun' moments, and then the following arc is all based around his backstory.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I think this week is the first time they've made Matt break by virtue of a location he had to design for them (The smut shop)

Also very much enjoying Laura's ongoing quest to make Travis turn crimson in every episode.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at Mar 24, 2018 around 02:43

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

^
I actually wish they'd get Amy Dallen on as a guest for a week or two on CR. She's a really, really solid RPer (she's a regular on their Star Trek series and was on the Doctor Who RPG they ran before it)

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh yeah, they definitely made a smarter, more diplomatically capable party. Nott's the only one who really can't talk to people and she's not stupid, just uncharismatic. Molly has the lowest intelligence in the party at 11 so there's no Grogs this time around (not that Grog wasn't a ton of fun).

Matt said in an interview or panel somewhere that this campaign would have more political intrigue and it wouldn't be as black and white as the Tal'dorei campaign was. Which is kind of interesting because so far nobody in the party actually cares about politics. They're just kind of going along with stuff, whether for pay or because "Well alright, this person hates puppies and is racist to tieflings, I guess we gotta kill her."

I think Fjord and Beau are as much pushing for the rebel group because they're into the idea, Fjord because he seems to be the most outwardly and traditionally moral of the group (probably deliberate on Travis' part so Matt can gently caress with him when his patron starts calling in favours) and Beau because despite herself, she does buy into the Cobalt Soul's "gently caress the system" thing.

The bit with Molly and Fjord managing to pull a hint of backstory and motivation stuff from Nott was great too. The nature of the group as actors means they're usually more engaged by narrative and character development than by combat unto itself.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at Mar 28, 2018 around 02:52

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

victorious posted:

Probably my favourite scene from the whole campaign so far. Molly's Devil Tongue out of nowhere leading to an amazing segment of acting/improv.

Because Sam's been so consistent about Nott not caring about the value of what she steals, I had actually only clicked to WHY she was stealing Fjord's letter about 10 minutes before that scene. (Then again, Sam Riegel spent like 6 months setting up a gag of turning Vex into the Wicked Witch of the West, dude can play the long game)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I think we're forgetting the most important part: The return of Sam's surfer character for the D&D Beyond ad! The mention of FATAL was hysterical, and Tal's face during the whole ad was a picture.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I think the only time interparty stealing backfired in a way that the player in question wasn't happy with was Laura stealing Chris Hardwick's magic broom.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

I appreciate this thread for existing as its a place I can find where it isn't a bunch of nongs yelling about how they hate Marisha and want her to die (or vicariously claim her character is the worst in every campaign). It's bloody infuriating and also really bloody obnoxious when they try to explain it in ways when what they really want to say "i don't like her as a person".

I mean, Marisha does sometimes latch onto red herrings and refuses to let go even when the rest of the group is basically begging her to, but every player has quirks and flaws.

CuwiKhons posted:

I mean speaking as a DM, sometimes that happens because players let it play out like a cutscene until it's too late. They should have intervened 5 minutes ago but they were too busy just watching it happen. Laura could easily have said at any point in the High Rictor's little speech that she was getting ready to cast a spell. I think it's as much on the players as it is on Matt.

If you don't watch Talks Machina, the after show, Matt was on it this week and mentioned that the group had many chances to notice something was up with Ulag (the dude who kamikazed) and that there were things they should have been suspicious about (like the fact that he was giving them his entire life's savings) but they either didn't roll well, didn't ask, or just didn't seem to care. He also mentioned at some point that Beau and Molly were total gently caress ups as lookouts because they kept rolling so low that they never saw the High Rictor coming home and thus couldn't warn the party to get out of there and avoid the confrontation entirely.

There's also the fact that Matt's way of dealing with the players not necessarily grabbing plot hooks is to have things ticking away in the background and 'going off' if the party doesn't do anything to influence it. In this case, the bombing of the Zauberspire was basically something the Nein had literally no way of knowing about given their current interests and connections, so all they WOULD be able to do is basically stand and watch. It's definitely a fine line to tread as a GM, between making sure you have setpieces that raise the stakes for the players and hopefully pull them into the story, while allowing them room to influence and change things.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh I know. I ran Out of the Abyss and in one city, Gracklestugh, there's an adult red dragon "employed" (it's complicated) by the city to light their forges with hotter than normal fires. He's a minor part of a sidequest and is simply not that important in the overall story. My players were obsessed with him. And not even in an "I want to kill a dragon" way. They wanted to free him from the city. Nevermind that they were in the Underdark and there was nowhere for him to go, they were intent on this idea that they could free him from his "slavery" and they could find a way to do that without him destroying half of the city in the process. I don't even remember how I finally got them to loving leave it alone. They spent days on that poo poo.

Sometimes that stuff can lead to interesting if inessential story and character beats though. One of my favourite sessions was actually running the 5e starter adventure for my friend and a bunch of his pals from university and they got fixated on getting an accurate headcount on the bandits hold up in an abandoned mansion. I a) had not counted how many dudes were in all the encounters and b) wanted some leeway in case they got in over their heads and needed to trim back some of them, but I let them try. They went into the rough tavern, the bard trying to pass herself off as a 'lady of the evening' hoping to pump a drunk bandit for info. A low pair of Insight and Investigation checks and she spends half the night buttering up a drunk miner who doesn't know poo poo while the rest of the group is howling with laughter as she digs herself deeper (the rolls weren't SO low that you'd assume you failed, I'd just set a fairly high DC to represent the difficulty of picking out the right kind of person to ask AND recognise if they seemed to know what you were talking about)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

You know that Travis is actually Texan, right? He's ramping up the accent, certainly, but it's basically the difference between Liam's original Caleb voice and the Dr Stranglove level accent he's ramped up to in order to match the others.

My favourite Ashley improv moment which veered from hilarious to heartbreaking in like 5 minutes was when she riffed on Vex making a joke about the others talking about how great she is and then when Ash and Travis' turn to RP comes up, she just rolls in with drunken sobbing about how pretty and smart Vex is, which then bled seamlessly into her little story about trying to talk Scanlan through their Message earrings even though he was gone (Sam's face during that part is also amazing, she's sticking the knife in and he's feeling every inch of it.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

The version of the class they're using is available for your review here!. Fair warning, it's unnecessarily complex and detail-y. Molly is Order of the Ghostslayer if you want to cut down on your reading. I think Matt was trying not to make the class overpowered but he went too far in the other direction - they just do not get very much cool poo poo at all. Molly won't get anything particularly notable until level 11.

As I recall, this is the buffed version, actually. I think the original version gave them a d8 hit die, which is awful for a class than self-damages to buff itself. I do like the potion path and actually ran one for a couple of sessions myself. They're filling a weird niche whereby they can easily swap in and out different damage types to take advantage of vulnerabilities, and are almost as suited to fighting undead (especially the Ghostslayer) as paladins or clerics, while thematically being very different. They're no worse than the base 5e Ranger, certainly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I think the other thing to bear in mind, and one that not all RP groups would do, but these guys do, is that what the character IS good at and what they THINK they're good at aren't always the same thing. Beau may be good at rooting out corruption, but Marisha has clearly decided her recent history has been basically a petty criminal who decided that she'd rather disengage with the system than fight it. Having that kind of person make decisions to push back and investigate out of instinct, only to balk later and revert back to apathy isn't necessarily inconsistent characterisation.

As a related example for how I feel people react to her: Dragon Age Inquisition has an elven archer that joins your party, Sera. I HATE SERA. She's a wannabe revolutionary who hates the feudal class system and wants to tear down the bourgousie/nobles. She also is incredibly immature and deflects any responsibility when her pranks or actions hurt others. As I say, I HATE her. She is also one of the best written characters in the game. Because she reads quite believably as an angsty teen rebel who doesn't actually want to have to make compromises or think through consequences.

I think Marisha enjoys making characters in a similar vein, characters who can be frustrating because their intended goals and their methods or approach create a friction.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sion posted:

All the rebroadcasts are still on times that are good for people living in the US. I like the show but I ain't staying up until 7 AM to watch it ;P

Alpha has the VOD up basically right away, and the G&S Twitch used to as well, if you haven't already used Prime to sub to someone else?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sion posted:

22 Wisdom.

Cliff dive.

To be fair, that was as much Marisha misreading her husband's DMing as Keyleth being cocky. (Matt having to use a dice app because it was 100d6 dmg was a beautiful moment)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oh, most of Matt's flubs or house-rules I have no problem whatsoever with. Case in point, when Scanlan used Dimension Door to bypass the Prismatic Wall, I had no problem with either response he considered (treating it as slamming into all the layers one by one, or allowing the player to do something really cool by explicitly looking at the text of the spell). The only time I've raised an eyebrow was letting Keyleth keep using beast shape after she got hit with feeblemind in the post-campaign battle royal. I get that he was trying to keep her competitive, but you have to consider whether or not an ability makes any sense for a character to be able to use when they're dumber than most animals. (Plus the 20th level removal on the limit of how many times a druid can wild shape is cool, but in that context made her literally unkillable)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teddybear posted:

The little reference back to the last campaign was super cute.

Edit: I just went back and watched the key parts of the episode where Scanlan leaves and holy poo poo I donít think Iíve laughed as hard as I did at the reveal in a long time. Theyíre so ANGRY. Itís great watching them realize what they did.

Edit 2: I might go back and watch the whole campaign just for grog. Holy poo poo.

Laura's impotent throwing of a napkin makes me laugh every time. She's so mad, but she doesn't want to actually hurt him, so does the most ineffectual balling up of the napkin and it immediately unfurls.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tal has specifically said he chose blood hunter because he's played every other class in other games, so he wanted something new, and was going to ask Matt to work with him on homebrewing something when he realised the blood hunter worked for his concept.

Also, just got to (s2e13) Nott's big moment where she talks about being the mother in her relationship with Caleb, and I'm not sure whether Laura or Liam's reaction is the best. Laura goes from to but Liam has this big doofy grin which is obviously just pure love for his best bud and both are so

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

5e Tarrasque is basically immune to magic, as I recall. And the DM rolls a d6 if you try and cast at it, and it reflects the spell on a 6, I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Anyone want to set an over/under on how far into Campaign 2 before we see one of the Vestiges show up, btw? (They're actually the coolest thing from the campaign guide, honestly. Not a terribly original idea, but it's still really neat)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Well, and Taliesen outright said he took Tough this time, which is a no-brainer admittedly. Blood Hunter needs as much HP as possible to get the most out it's abilities.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Anyone else find Liam's Jester impression kinda creepy?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The once or twice Laura did Grog because Travis was running late was pretty cute. (Actually, has Travis ever missed a game?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

...weak? It introduced a new major NPC, a new quest/dungeon crawl and the first deep dive into backstory for a member of the Nein

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

If I was Matt, I'd already be either planning the reveal that Pumat Sol is the evil mastermind villain for the whole campaign... or deciding he's like Nurse Joy from Pokemon and there's a set in every city.

Edit: Yasha's social awkwardness when she's not simply needing to intimidate is hilarious. Really shows how much range Ashley has.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at Apr 14, 2018 around 15:23

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bagrada posted:

What edition/game book do they use for this? I read they were originally pathfinder but converted when picked up by geek & sundry, and I think the gunslinger and blood hunter classes are mercer originals. Is the rest D&d next or 4th edition or something?

I've now watched episode 1 of both seasons and I think I'm hooked. I tried getting into it last summer. Watched about an hour of a stream on twitch where they were dealing with a sphere of annihilation and a wall of force. That was fun but I was too daunted by the backlog at the time.

Orion on podcast reminds me of the voice of Winston from Overwatch, I kind of liked his character at first so I'm not looking forward to where it is going. Watching the gang react to each other's characters for the first time in season 2 was great, especially Nott.

I think half the reaction to Nott was for Sam's voice, and the assumption that it was a similar situation to his voice during one of Liam's one-shots, where he did a similar kind of Slavic thing to what Laura does for Jester and belatedly realised he'd committed to it for 4 hours without thinking. Except he was committing to it for 2 years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teddybear posted:

He's really settled into it, though. You can see him accustom to the voice as the weeks go by to the point where he can comfortably act in it.

Oh, I knew he was either going to adjust it to the point where he could do it for 4 hours a week, or she'd suddenly 'reveal' her real voice later.

Can I also point out how cruel Laura was in texting in that question about Molly's fortune telling? Liam basically nailed what I think she was going for with the "Go on, Taliesin, tell the little girl Santa's not real" vibe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Also, I caught the "I'd like to think so" reply to the "Are you a good man?" question. It's the only part where it looked like Tal was choosing his words carefully so as to obey the spell but not actually answer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

My single favourite moment from Campaign 1 is Grog finding the Deck Of Many Things. On the video you can see the rest of the table gradually realise what Matt rolled in the loot table. I think it goes from, like, Pat Rothfuss (this was during the 5 episode run he did as a guest) trying to keep a straight face, to Liam and Laura realising almost at the same time and screaming in disbelief, then Marisha and Taliesin just corpsing, and all the while Sam is confused and Travis is getting more and more terrified.

Plus the moment where Grog threatened to throw them into the lava, and Laura COMPLETELY breaks character to go "TRAVIS!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

Sam trolling Travis about the Cowboys will never not be funny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It's also amazing that Taliesin was the one who didn't get Marisha's 'going down' joke.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trinket basically exists because Laura's a big animal lover, but that's also the problem: 5e pets aren't so useful as to seem essential in combat, and he has substantially less HP than the rest of the party, so Laura refuses to put him in any actual danger for like half the campaign for fear of losing him. It gets to the point that Matt has to give him a couple of permanent buffs and a custom magic item before she STARTS to try using him in combat, and even then his biggest use is to give Vax the chance to get Sneak Attack on things.

DeathSandwich posted:

Granted I've not watched the new season yet and this is from a couple pages back, but from that article on Blood Hunters, the class really seems to me to be kind of a love letter to The Witcher, with the order of the Mutant basically being straight up a Witcher full stop. I've never really minded the "Monster hunting worse monsters" trope because it kind of makes sense in my mind. In a world rife with soul eating demons, monstrous creatures, fire breathing dragons, and the by-products of magic run amok, someone scared and vulnerable is liable to turn to troubling powers to deal with their desperate situation. Stare into the abyss and it stares back into you and all that.

Oh, it's 110% a Witcher class. Matt is a HUGE fan of the games, to the point of actually cosplaying as Geralt for one of their Halloween streams. By which I mean he MADE a version of the starting armour from Wild Hunt. Once CDPR cleared them to do so, he's been using TONS of Witcher soundtrack stuff in their music mix. (I think they also are allowed to use TES music, and stuff from Pillars Of Eternity... Maybe Dragon Age, also?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bagrada posted:

I'd have expected them to figure out the pokemon Trinket thing earlier with all the other conveniences they had at the start of the show. Magic carpet, bag of holding, presumably infinite Percy ammo and Vex arrows, Vax's belt recalling his daggers, Grog's axe chain and so on. They could have done the CRPG thing and just had Trinket wander up out of the shadows no matter how they got to their current destination. Even the OG pokemon and ranger pet Drizzt's panther was a figurine most of the time.

Scanlan did briefly have a very Guenhwyvar-esque (yes I looked up her name) dog thing... that they lost after one of the dragon fights because it took enough damage to revert to being a figurine and they never picked it up before teleporting away.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Things like the pokeball are why I'm kind of hyped for the game I'm starting this weekend for my group. I'm gonna be running the AGE version of Blue Rose, and that system basically has 90% of the spells designed to be equally usable in and out of combat to the point where they can be used in tons of interesting ways, and I know one of my players is likely to be thinking that way, and he's already said he wants to roll a support caster.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sam's running gag in the prologue bits of stop-starting his line reads is gold.

I've also realised that Laura is probably going to end up being the treasurer again in the Nein. She's taking Jester's realisation that she can't rely on Mommy paying for everything and seems to be parlaying it into Jester panicking over ANY spending that isn't totally necessary. She was basically insisting on using spell slots instead of potions last week and kept grumbling about the money when the others did use their potions.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at Apr 26, 2018 around 00:33

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Keru posted:

God I love Sam's ads.

And Ash's reading of the ad copy should basically show anyone doubting her that Yasha's flat affect is a character choice, not Ashley being bored at the table.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Holy poo poo if they reach $50k in donations to 826LA, Marisha's going to run a second Honey Heist game. If you haven't watched the first one, please do yourself a favor. It's loving hilarious.

Given that the last time they added something like that to a charity drive, it was because Marisha wanted to GM a game on stream anyway (she ran a couple of sessions of Weave on Alpha), I think that's gonna happen for def.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, let me be clear: Travis and Grog are great, but when Travis has to talk about plans out-of-character because Grog would be too dumb to come up with the idea, that's being hamstrung, imo. I'm currently going through S1, and I'm only on the part where they kill K'varn the Beholder, so maybe it'll change. Also, "I would like to rage" is great and the point about the broken cask is great, too.

Someone called C1 "polished superheroes", and that's kind of funny/true. I am starting to completely love Vax, but I just really like Liam's voice work and stuff in games. He plays that archetype so well.

S2: I really need a Yasha solo background thing. Like, real bad.

Fair warning if you're new to C1, Vax gets pretty dark at points, partly because Liam was apparently going through some tough personal stuff, not all of which he's really talked about publicly beyond "I had some poo poo to deal with" and it gets a little intense. Thing seem to settle down and they just have fun with the emo-ness of it after a while but if you're enjoying the devil-may-care element he has in the early eps.... that changes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I still think my favourite thing in the entire series is Percy's little speech about legacy during the dragon arc. I don't know if he had pre-written it, knowing what that week's game was going to be doing, or if Taliesin just is that good at improv, but it's the kind of thing that chokes me up in a good way.

Oh, also, catching up on this week's ep (I tend to watch 10-20 minutes of the stream on Thursday until I fall asleep and then catch up over the weekend) and Laura's 'suburban mom' voice in the D&D Beyond ad is great.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at Apr 28, 2018 around 01:33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Taliesin's actually talked about that before and he at least claims he doesn't plan poo poo in advance. He plans things for Percy to build, but not speeches or anything like that. He also commented that the legacy speech was interesting because it was sort of a debate between Keyleth and Percy but apparently Taliesin and Marisha are usually the opposite points of view from what they were arguing at the time? But they knew their characters didn't feel the same way their players did.

You learn a lot of poo poo from the Talks Machina show on Tuesdays.

But is it worth putting up with Foster?

«4 »