Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Marisha's pun game strong this Halloween. Lisa Frank Castle is *mwah*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Does the show even directly stream on the CritRole Twitch? I thought they just hosted G&S on Thursdays?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just assume any double-entendre, intentional or not, is met with Laura and Sam's eyebrows raised as high as possible with childish smirks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CJ posted:

When Marissa said that Hupperdook was a party town, was that something Matt told her or did she just say it as a joke and Matt rolled with it?

I think Matt mentioned on Talks that he'd imagined it to be a mining city with a hard-drinking after-hours, and Marisha's latching on to it as a 'party town' just helped him flesh it out into the kind of fantasy Reno it became.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Watching Honey Heist 3. I love Mary. It's like she went with the stock posh lady archetype in the VM campaign because she was nervous and now just goes nuts whenever she's there, probably because she doesn't get to play these type of roles in productions she's in at work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CJ posted:

I might disagree with Matt Colville but his YouTube videos are the most interesting of the dnd talking head options. He is pretty charismatic and he talks about more interesting topics than the others who make vapid videos on things like how rogues should rp as deceptive or what the best illusion spells are. He is the only dnd person I will bother to watch when a new video pops up on the reccomended other than some Australian girl I forget the name of.

Also, I’m kind of hoping Jester dies at some point just to see the community meltdown that would result.

Generally I'd truck with this.I disagree with Colville on some fundamental points, and I'm not even sure some of those are points he'd agree with given what he's said elsewhere, but he's able to articulate his arguments in a way where it helps me codify my own responses.

And his "The Map Is Not The Territory" video is a good way to verbalize what should be an obvious point but is one that a lot of players gently caress up with.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Watching the fireside chat. Sam finding out about how much the internet hates Reed Richards is :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Addamere posted:

I know nothing about Geek & Sundry outside of the first 20 episodes of Critical Role, and the only other thing I know about Felicia Day is that old "Do You Wanna Date My Avatar?" video from ages ago. Is she a big deal within some particular niche of the community or something?

G&S was her company at first, just like Nerdist was Hardwick's. They both sold to Legendary a few years back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just noticed Deborah Ann Woll is also going to be running a game on Alpha, so I think LDN might be trying to see if they can find a new cast for when CR inevitably flies the nest altogether?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
LA By Night might have a shot because V:TM is different enough from D&D that it has it's own niche but it's not gonna be helped by White Wolf basically having had to be grounded and it's phone privileges revoked by daddy Paradox.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Dammit, my eyes skimmed over the "melee weapons" in the entry before I wrote the post.

It's an easy mistake to make, especially because arrows/projectiles caught by Deflect Missiles ARE monk weapons for the return throw. So, like, arrow is monk weapon when thrown, but dart is not, which makes sense game balance wise, but not in strict logical sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She also made sure to be very specific about the effect of the dodecahedron, in a way that read to me as "as a DM, I'm used to my players not listening to how my homebrew magic items work".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Arthil posted:

The sad fact is that as soon as Fjord is Level 11 melee kind of becomes a very unwise thing to do on purpose. Sure it does mean you can build yourself to be vaguely less hosed if something gets in your face, but on average those invocations end up being better used to flesh out EB once you've got three blasts.

You can easily build a warlock, especially Hexblade/blade pact to be very melee focused. Mage armor without using a spell slot, being able to either drag opponents to you with eldritich blast or teleport to you curse/hex target, able to use spell slots to do poo poo-tons of extra damage on hit a la a Paladin's smite and doing necrotic damage on top of your regular weapon damage, as well as any weapon you make your pact weapon is at least a +1, AND two melee attacks a round?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Travis: "And now it is time for my master's ritual to commence... after all..."

Matt, with a sigh as Travis gives a poo poo-eating grin: "It's HIGH NOON"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

It's absolutely worth watching. Matt and Travis end up stealing the show, along with the loving voice Sam is doing and Ashley's struggles to maintain a New York accent

Also Liam slipping into his native New Jersey accent because of Ashley's, which I think was 50/50 on purpose/unconscious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

She's back for the holidays, but "for good" really depends on if Blindspot gets another season, like it has for the past three years. She'll at least be back for a little while (assuming Blindspot doesn't have any reshoots or something midseason) like she was last year.

Brian proposing might mean they were told not to bank on a season 5 pickup.

Also, does the new theme freak anyone out with the first verse, because they said it's Laura singing but I swear to god it sounds EXACTLY like Marisha. The second verse I picked up on as Ashley before they even told us.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

eke out posted:

i got to episode 64 of the original campaign and you can start to see some of the fear in Matt's eyes when he realizes what exactly Sam is capable of doing to his NPCs now that he has Modify Memory lmao

it was perfectly done too, with him using it as a complete joke on Percy early on, then breaking it out at a crucial moment hours later to totally remove a threat from the board

It's one of the double-edged swords of allignment not really mattering in 5e. On the one hand, you don't have to deal with stuff like Paladins not being allowed to not be LG or druids being locked to neutral, but there's also not much way to mechanically punish players for stuff like that if they don't get caught in narrative. Which is, I suppose, realistic.

Systems like FFG Star Wars or Blue Rose have mechanics in place that make doing stuff as sketchy as that a risk for a character that still wants to be broadly heroic/good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Patrick Rothfuss comes back later and is much, much improved. But I agree with you that episode was loving awful.

Pat's reaction to the Deck is actually one of my favourite things.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The breaking character stuff was occasionally great. (post-Thordak spoiler)Laura just giving the most perfect 'annoyed spouse' "TRAVIS!" when Grog was going to throw the Deck of Many Things into the lava was beautiful

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sam seems to be pretty good at doing the thing of improv-ing a bit to fit a scene at the time, and then going back to retrofit a backstory to it. Scanlan's bravado being a cover for how afraid he was, both of the danger they were in, and of being useless to the group, and Nott's fear of water are good examples. (He's been open that the latter was a joke they made at the table and then he thought about why she'd be scared of it and now knows the reason)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Weirdly all the promotion has pushed it under the G&S banner but on Alpha it's under Nerdist?

And the set they built for her is loving AMAZING. It's the titular magic item shop and she lets the players physically choose props as a free item, before opening a hidden door to move to the real table.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Most of the cast are DAW's regular group, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pussy Quipped posted:

It’s fuckin great that Liam made a character who solely existed to serve as a living reminder to the party that Vax is dead.

Sam bringing out the skeleton was great too. And Liam and Laura's reactions were perfect.

"AH WISH AH KNEW HOW TA QUIT YOU, SAM RIEGEL!"

And Laura saying she thought it was going to be Trinket... which... she's been playing this game with Sam for like 5 years. C'mon, girl, why would it be Trinket?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Noxin of Shame posted:

Spellslingers I am quite fond of, and I'm legit sad if there isn't another season. If you haven't seen Day9 and Joe Manganiello riff off each other while playing magic, and generally being big nerds, well...

https://youtu.be/zCvq1kLqkN8

Spellslingers I think was basically down to WOTC and if they and Day9 felt that getting D-list celebs playing Magic was better promotion than Sean just playing Arena on his own channel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So is it going to end up as a 90 minute feature or a 4 episode miniseries? Also the cast must be cringing at the idea of that last one-shot goal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

Depends on what they want to do I guess. When MST3K blew through their request, they ended up adding multiple additional episodes. If this keeps going we could potentially fund a 2nd animated short if they wanted to.

At this point if it's still one piece it's not a short, it's a feature.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Another 22 minutes and it can be a five part miniseries like the original GI Joe or TMNT!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
More likely they're going to consolidate what's left of G&S under the Nerdist brand.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sam does a lot of work for Disney and Tal certainly used to do a lot for Viz. Those two, Liam and Mary-Elizabeth do a bunch of voice directing now as much as actual VO work. I imagine that's a pretty reliable gig, compared to acting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

I would love to see that but I always go back to how CR for all of them is the side job to their primary jobs. I think for us to even get close to Matt running 2 games a week they would all need to make CR their main income and I'm not sure that they're willing to take that risk yet. Their kickstarter is definitely exceeding their expectations and I think their stretch goals are realistic but they're going to need to extend the time frame to meet all the additional episodes. I'm backing them at the $100 bracket and look forward to what comes out of CR.

If they hit all the goals, that's a full season of a show that they can shop to Adult Swim, FX or the streaming giants.

I'd also be stunned if they didn't have WOTC's cooperation already locked down given how closely they've worked with them in the past. The official D&D Twitter was hyping the Kickstarter. I could easily see it as a thing where the folks on the D&D team over there would sign off on them using the IP, but Hasbro higher-ups not wanting to put any money behind the project.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They namecheck stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, but also stuff like Venture Bros and Big Mouth in the KS info, so I feel like somewhere in that spectrum, probably a little more on the GOTG end is what they're going for.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Interesting trivia tidbit: They're almost certainly going to beat the Ouya Kickstarter, which to me seems like a badge of honour. No matter how the series turns out, they can always go "At least we did better than Ouya!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dexo posted:

Lol I just noticed they had to edit their video to remove D&D from Ashley's bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAi9xjcNFus&t=213s

Should've gotten her to record herself saying "The World's Most Popular Role-Playing Game" in her NY bathroom and badly dubbed it over her lip movement.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I think the notion is that when you're a relatively small business which seems to employ maybe 20-30 people directly (granted the animated show is going to be a MUCH larger endeavour) run by a group of friends, it's not uncommon to start out assigning job titles less on a 'what is everyone's specific strengths' and more to get the roles filled and on paper, and still decide on everything by consensus.

And while being aware of the parasocial and marketing and branding elements is important, I think it's also dangerously cynical to view every single thing through that lens, the conspiracy theory that nothing you see has any level of authenticity and is some focus grouped act calculated in a boardroom by callous corporate greed to bilk you out of all your money. Basically, I can't imagine viewing something like Critical Role and enjoying it while thinking "they're just doing this to make me buy dice trays".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And I acknowledged that being conscious of them is something that people should be on some level. I just also happen to think that there's a time and a place for that consciousness and the way that discussion was happening in the thread seemed to be very, very hardcore "if you're enjoying this thing, YOU'RE BEING TRICKED", which sits just as badly with me.

Edit: Basically, there's something in between: "LOL THEY'RE ALL BIG BABIES AND I WANT TO BE THEIR FRIEND!" and "They are a carefully constructed marketing and branding machine that is projecting a manufactured image that you're falling for, you rubes!".

Double edit: OK, now the rewording of the above reply makes my response seem nonsensical because that's not the point I thought was being made.

Final Edit: I was reading a LOT of the preceding posts as being directed at other posters/the audience, not intended as a cautionary regarding what the cast should beware of. Less about the possible pitfalls of expansion and more a, to borrow a phrase, "Your fun is wrong" approach. If I misunderstood, I apologise.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 10, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Houser writing should please people who were down on Colville's script for the first one. She's a comics professional who's written Supergirl and Spider-Man comics, as well as stuff like the cult hit Faith book for Valiant.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

This is the weirdest loving take I've ever heard. I know sometimes fans are real weird about their interactions with famous people - or even their lack of interactions - but acting like it's unusual for someone to say they love their fans is insane. Have you never gone to a concert???

Hell, I'm a pro-wrestling fan and one of the biggest names outside of WWE says it as his catchphrase, for god's sake.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

eke out posted:

watching the chris perkins episode of between the sheets and he is an absolute delight. the folks at dnd itself definitely don't see this as some zero-sum game

The Dragonlance email bit from the tease they played during last week's game was great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It does seem like this is maybe leading towards Tal/Clay's goal in a low-key way, and I'm not sure the cast have clocked that because they're so focused on the D20 and on saving Nott's hubby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's kind of like tieflings, drow and even Pathfinder goblins (realistically I don't think 5e does playable gobbos without Paizo's influence) where someone makes an exception because they think it's cool and the concept spreads until the publisher shrugs and goes "fine, go nuts kids"