Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

I'm caught up on Campaign 2 after first getting into this off of this thread, and hot drat am I ready to watch live Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

What's the deal with Scanlan leaving in campaign one? I never watched any of it, but what were the circumstances of him bailing for a while?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Noxin of Shame posted:

When Percy first meets Viktor, and Matt describes the room being covered in blackpowder, and Orion drops in a quick joke as Tiberius with "I walk in, 'fireball'" still makes me laugh.

I guess if you're a dick, it's easy to play an irritating self-important douche very well.

Ooooo, the whole set up around this is really good. Like, heartbreaking good. If anyone can give a synopsis and do it justice, well they're better than me. I recommend you just watch it.

... woof, that's like 400 hours, though. I'm not saying I WON'T, but... it's not very likely.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

CuwiKhons posted:

It's spoilery but you have to watch so much of campaign one for context that I'll go ahead and summarize it for you:

Well, dang. That's some good storytelling. It's good that they have enough faith in their characters and stories to do poo poo like that.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

The little reference back to the last campaign was super cute.

Edit: I just went back and watched the key parts of the episode where Scanlan leaves and holy poo poo I donít think Iíve laughed as hard as I did at the reveal in a long time. Theyíre so ANGRY. Itís great watching them realize what they did.

Edit 2: I might go back and watch the whole campaign just for grog. Holy poo poo.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2018 around 07:13

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

So, uh, did we settle on a good place to jump in on campaign one? Is there an ideal way to skip to the good poo poo or should I just play through?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Alright, I'll start with Trial of the Take. Thanks y'all.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Finished Trial of the Take and boy, I can tell what yíall meant about Orion. He has to be the most intimidating badass gruffboy interruptorking at the table.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

I'm guessing I may as well skip Orion's last episode when I get there and just, like, read a synopsis.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

We're live with Episode 14-- with Yasha, without Jester (cuz Laura is sick).

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

I fully expected that to go bad. I've seen enough vids of silly string birthday parties to start looking around for an open flame or anything hot...

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Laura is somehow rocking it despite not being there. Also Liam does a great Jester.

And Iím a big fan of where Mollyís goiní!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

I think half the reaction to Nott was for Sam's voice, and the assumption that it was a similar situation to his voice during one of Liam's one-shots, where he did a similar kind of Slavic thing to what Laura does for Jester and belatedly realised he'd committed to it for 4 hours without thinking. Except he was committing to it for 2 years.

He's really settled into it, though. You can see him accustom to the voice as the weeks go by to the point where he can comfortably act in it.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Stream is live, starting soon!

Man, I went from not knowing heads or tails of this and just skimming over it when it came up in my youtube sub box to getting incredibly hype about it in no time. To think, if my dumb rear end had bothered to check it out two years ago, I could've watched it unfold live sooner. Ah well.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

He'll get the production crew to update the overlay to have his name listed as "Emmy Award Winner Sam Riegel"

On a more serious note, didn't his sister win an Oscar this year too? Big year for the Riegels

Nominated, apparently, for editing I, Tonya. His other sister won a Daytime Emmy for her work on All My Children, too. They're goin' for the family EGOT.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at Apr 28, 2018 around 21:18

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

I would go with Minnesotan liberal arts teacher.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

escalator dropdown posted:

Everything from the Taryon reveal onward is solid gold in that episode.

Samís performance of Taryon is especially impressive given that, IIRC, he revealed on a Talks Machina session that (due to a miscommunication with Matt) he didnít actually know/expect Taryon to show up until the next week. Heíd obviously built the character, but IIRC he hadnít named Doty yet, etc. Just got tossed into the deep end.

What Iím trying to say is that Emmy Award-winning Sam Riegel is the best.

It worked out way better this way, I think.

Granted, I'm still working through backlog, but I watched the reveal and the next episode, and I feel like having that added week break would've burnt a lot of the fun out of it, and they would've lost both the surprise and the energy of the turn.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Liam is fuckin' GOOD at this.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So I bailed with like 10-20 minutes left. Please tell me wherever the hell Nott was going with this is not some clumsy attempt to be analogous to being transgender. Like, tell me it was resolved in a way that wasn't as weird and bad as it felt like it was gonna be.

I don't think it's going to be explicitly drawing that sort of parallel, but I think her end goal is probably to have Caleb learn True Polymorph and turn her permanently into a halfling.

I think Sam is good enough to not gently caress this up.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at May 22, 2018 around 19:10

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

I understand their concern, or at least what I think their concern isó thereís a way you could play that character that would result in it being a very clunky and very gross ďIím just a halfling born in a goblinís bodyĒ. It could come off as flippant and even mocking of legit dysphoria.

The way I think itís going, itís more that sheís horrified by her pack and their actions and sympathetic with the kindness of the halfling man she was sent to surveil. She wants to dissociate herself completely with the goblins as best she can, up to and possibly including polymorphing into a halfling.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

This week's show is live!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Keru posted:

I just realised Sam's shirt says 'Missing' because he wasn't in Ep 20 of campaign 1.

The first episode he missed, he wore the green screen. Then I think he started skipping missed episodes in the shirt order, and if he no longer had the shirt he'd wear something appropriate-- an ERROR 404 one week. I'm guessing he no longer has whatever shirt he wore next on the show, hence the Missing.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Boy I got to episode 63 where they fight Sondur in the feywild and the video is broke as gently caress. Audio cuts out repeatedly throughout, and at the break the video turns into flashing blocks of green and purple for the rest of the video. Itís a shame.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Keru posted:

They uploaded a fixed version of that, I thought? This should be the fixed one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS5aMcxkldI

Oh. Well. Wish that they didnít have it unlisted so that it wouldíve come up as the next one. Iím not using the official playlist.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

That's already up on the D&D Beyond youtube, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4BuL886bJA

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

escalator dropdown posted:

Wow... I was 100% certain that Beau was going to bite it for good in that troll fight... and they established last episode that Jester doesnít have the diamond necessary to cast Revivify yet. At best, if they didnít get her killed by taking more damage (and therefore failed death saves), that troll was booking it with her unconscious body. Hulmes casting Levitate was incredibly clutch.

Imagine if Caleb burns ANOTHER person close to him to death. Holy poo poo.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Boy some people are gonna be pissed about Sam's RPing here in having Nott not go to the encounter with everyone else because of the water.

EDIT: Or, rather, his delayed entry into the encounter.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at Jun 8, 2018 around 04:11

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Adnor posted:

So, if Matt didn't tried to move in that last turn Caleb would have died, right?

Yeah, I mean, very good chance. He was on two death saving rolls, right? I dunno if it was mercy on them, or a gamble to try to reposition and hit more folks, but...

Eh, it felt like a mercy.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Laura's gonna angry herself into labor at this rate, jeez

Of course they beat me to the joke as I'm typing it

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

I kinda feel bad about everyone else when it comes to Orion, because he was part of the original group when they were just friends playing D&D for fun. And then he let his drug problems and crazy override everything else until he got booted out, and now he's burned so many bridges I don't think most of the cast even talks to him any more.

I think it's worse than it ordinarily would be because the cast is extremely close friends that hang out all the time outside of Critical Role, and Orion used to be part of that. His leaving is a lot more personal than a guy simply getting fired from a TV show.

It's kinda amazing how the episodes after Orion leaves are so much... better. Lighter. Enjoyable.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Why did he do that?

He's an egomaniacal dipshit.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Oh my god that surprise sketchbook is the sweetest thing-- I can't wait to see what stuff's in there!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

I hope y'all weren't wanting more Gern.

https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-co...es-6be0594970ca

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

Is Gern the older guy?

The guy in that article is Chris Hardwick.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

OmniBeer posted:

Which is a definite plus.

I'm wondering when they'll shift over to using only their own channel- they say they're going to keep everything broadcasting the same for now, but I can only imagine that's the next step.

I'd imagine neither party wants to fully separate from the geek and sundry twitch; Critical Role puts up G&S's biggest numbers, and it'll be a bit of a process to get folks to switch over to the new channel.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

I'm getting close to episode 85 in my viewing order. Even though I know what happens when they wake Scanlan up, and already watched his leaving scene and the Tary reveal, I'm still super excited to see it in its original context, along with the shakeup to the routine that comes with the new character.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Josef bugman posted:

I still prefer Travis.

Watching through C1, nobody commits quite as hard as Travis does.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Adnor posted:

So they started that miniature kickstarter and in less than an hour they went over 5 times the goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...d/critical-role

I imagine that they're happy.

Ha, the bundle for 45 quid comes with Kickstarter Exclusive Pumat Sol Prime... and then 3 additional simulacrum Pumat Sols that are suitably less detailed than the prime.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

Laura had her baby! Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A Samus doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lipstick Apathy

I'm gonna miss Kiri so much but my god she had 6 HP she was a stiff breeze from exploding into a comical puff of feathers

«3 »