Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

... I mean, that's ONE way to handle that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm watching through episode 89, which is just after they fight the kraken, and Liam mentions that he had a back-up character ready to go. Have they ever revealed who the backups were later on?

I find it really interesting that aspects of the campaign can have massive, huge, story-changing consequences on one dice roll. Like the failed roll on the skull, for example. If that had succeeded, that would've been Grog out, the whole dragon story gone and replaced with a new big bad boss to fight. The next eighty-odd hours of the game would've been completely different. Has Matt talked about the what-if preparations he's done for things like that?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CuwiKhons posted:

After the end of the first campaign, the cast did a very long Q&A where they talked about a lot of stuff that didn't get brought up in the story. Probably 90% of the submitted questions for Matt and were stuff like "What would have happened if -?"

Long story short, there's no indication Grog would have actually gotten a wish from breaking the skull. It contained the spirit of a very powerful Githyanki and it would have basically just been a brand new extra problem because the Githzerai would have been loving PISSED that Grog let the spirit go and would have hunted Grog down.

As for your first question, no clue. Might have been Caleb to be honest. He's said he's been thinking about Caleb for multiple year. Then Taliesin mentioned that Molly was his backup character when Percy died to Ripley and he intended to have Molly roll into town with the circus and have a performance where he did a song called "The Terrible Tinkerer of Tal'dorei" which was mocking an amalgamation of Percy and Ripley because he didn't have most of the details about the inventor of firearms but he had a vague impression of a lovely person. I can only imagine how the rest of the cast would have reacted to Percy dying and Taliesin immediately showing up with a character mocking him.

Oh, awesome! I’ll look forward to that season end q and a then, I didn’t realize that was a thing.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Grinning Goblin posted:

We will probably get a few Jester messages via Sending an episode, hopefully.

"Hey, we've been kidnapped, which is a really lovely thing when you think about it,

"Hey, sorry, fifteen words, right? Anyway the main captor is this big tall guy with

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I am already on loving board with Ashly Burch. Keg's fun.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

We are goin' loooooong tonight if we're getting going into this.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Well, I mean, like, it's not like Molly hasn't died before. Right? Right?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

gently caress me.

Burch is gonna get so much poo poo from dipshits online, but they got knifed by action economy there. Burch, I think, was the only thing that saved them from a TPK with that little thing at the end.

Alternatively, WELCOME TO THE MIGHTY EIGHT

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Also, let’s not forget, Molly has experience in being dead. He’s gonna have an instinctual knowledge of how to get things together after waking up with amnesia this time. If they bury him, I guarantee in twenty episodes they’re gonna run into Molly the amnesiac as an NPC and adopt him.

Actually, I really really hope this happens, that would be cool as hell.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Josef bugman posted:

Oh dear. Are the crew and staff being shouted at on Twitter in a none jokey "YOU DICKS!1!" kind of way?

On the night of I saw mostly support on Twitter, so I might've missed the poo poo ones.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

One thing to remember is that it seems pretty clear that Matt had no intention of killing Molly. The first hit would have knocked him out, the second hit would've taken two saves, and Molly would've had his little special item pop and stabilize him on his turn. But by using the blood maledict and thus knocking himself out at a point where Matt had already committed Lorenzo to action, there was really nothing he could do but use the two attacks as he planned and kill him. If he backed Lorenzo off it would've been, like, reverse powergaming.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

NowonSA posted:

Yeah that's what came to mind as I was reading the posts.

Lost Soul is all kinds of funky and crazy, it would kind of make story sense for whatever Molly's weird deal is but it's a class that is just so not the typical situation that it's hard to imagine them being able to keep up with its craziness on the stream, even with the guy who literally invented it right there. Like, if I remember you don't even have a physical body you just haunt an item, people need to carry you to where you want to go, it's just all kinds of zany. I kind of want to try it at some point, but for the purposes of Critrole I'm more hoping that they run into a Lost Soul at some point either as a possible ally or an enemy, rather than trying to run it week to week.

My best guess is that he shows up with a Druid to further pad out healing and spellcasting, and there's just something in my gut that says Talieesin has a funky druid idea in him.

I hope whoever his character is, he keeps up the charming bullshitter thing. That was my favorite part of Molly; Tal is really really good at that kind of improv and character.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It’s... probably for the best they put Kiri somewhere safe. Four hit point precious birb.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The episode is up, for those who missed out on it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXFTboNHtE8

Quick reminder that the comments will have basically literally all the spoilers from the start, so... the break ends at 2:09:20.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Arthil posted:

Well. I suppose christening the new set with blood was the only realistic outcome.

Speaking of, my god the clarity on the footage is so crisp that it might be too good.

HD cameras putting in some work. And the camera over the map is way, way better.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Info from Talks:

* Both Matt and Taliesin loved Ashly's roleplaying as Keg, including her battle plan
* Taliesin didn't have a new character prepared, but has rolled one over the last few days
* Molly won't return as a lingering soul, one of Matt's homebrew classes
* Ashly and Keg will be around for the next two sessions as well as the live show
* Another guest this Thursday

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I still think that Molly will come back in some form-- but as Matt's NPC with amnesia again. What's to say that this was Molly's second time dying and not his eighth?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

On After Dark, Taliesin notes that Molly was in fact the backup he had prepped for campaign 1 if Percy bit it, and figured he'd get around to making a new backup eventually. It took him about 13 hours to make his new character, and he's happy with it.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I dunno if he'd pick bard, because that would (by precedent) require singing for every inspiration.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Raged posted:

Ok, enough about the Molly stuff. We need to talk about what is important.... How the hell is Sam ever going to top that DNDbeyond promo.

String quartet silently files in behind him, he conducts a thirteen minute overture, stopping about ten minutes in to read a coupon code.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm rooting for Taliesin to come back with an even gayer character. Not necessarily because he's the only LGBT player,* but because the gay characters are objectively the best. See: Tary.

*that we know of

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sam's flash is really really good!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Jetrauben posted:

I wonder if Sumalee is going to have to come back in the future. This had to be a pretty cautious episode, so it's unlikely Nila will be able to fit her quest into this one. She's a good presence at the table, but then most of the guest players usually are!

I'm guessing that when they laid out the guest spots they grabbed people who can do a few sessions if needed so that they can let things unfold smoothly.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sam is fantastic.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I have been faked out thinking Matt was describing Taliesin's new character at least, like, three times already.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Pollyanna posted:

Pretty sure they're saving Taliesin's character for Gencon.

Maybe. I dunno if folks (or Tal, or the show) would countenance that sort of gap. I'd've bet on this week, maybe next week at the latest.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Pollyanna posted:

This is going quite late.

I would have preferred they just get to it, too.

We're pushing up towards four hours, which is more or less what it's usually at, right?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oh there he is!

Matt: "You missed an opportunity." So he was somewhere! They just didn't encounter him...

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Now we gotta wait a whooooole week to find out who Tal is. Maaaaan.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The last minute hastily improvised cosplay at comicon woulda been neat, too.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Kraps posted:

The reactions on tumblr were, and still are, pretty crazy. I get being sad over stuff like this, hell I was pretty wrecked for a couple of days after e115 because I really wanted a happy ending for Vax and Kiki, but there's a limit.

What about the bed?

I think it's that the bed had a child's skeleton on it. Does anybody have, like, lore on Onis and eating kids? People keep saying this sorta thing but I can't find a proper source for it.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

:siren: WE HAVE TALIESIN :siren:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CuwiKhons posted:

Taliesin's playing a firbolg grave cleric with a loving bright pink mohawk and I love him

I am already on board with this so much.

Caduceus Clay is such a good pun name for a cleric, too!!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Someone’s gonna die at GenCon.

Now, Clay has revivify, so it’s not like... the WORST. But still.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Adnor posted:

Believe me, you're not alone in this. I've managed to play a few times but now with good groups and finding online groups is hard when I have the thickest accent because learned english by playing videogames and watching movies.

That’s just playing a kenku irl.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Fneeb posted:

Could you imagine the reaction if they brought out Travis or Ash as a surprise next week though? I’m fully expecting Lorenzo to get away and it to be a ‘princess in another castle’ situation but it would be amazing otherwise :allears:

It'd be nuts, but I'd wager there's roughly zero percent chance that Laura and Travis show up at gencon. Like, maybe, maybe, MAYBE they do a surprise call-in at the end. At most.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CuwiKhons posted:

I don't know if the OP is still around but if we could change the thread title to "Critical Role - Roll for reach around", I think that would neatly encapsulate the entire CR experience.

I ended up getting that chunk for the fan transcript. I hope I did it right. And I hope they maintain my formatting; reach around when it was a verb, reacharound for the noun.

I also got Clay's intro, plus Sumalee's ending speech. It was a pretty good pull for transcribing, really.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

SURPRISE IT'S SHAKASTE Y'ALL

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

eke out posted:

i want to know what liam's plan is here, staying invis to get surprise on the big bad when he finally reveals himself?

I think! Or have an excuse to not do anything directly confrontational (which is decent character work) until he thinks that it'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I know it won’t happen but if I wish hard enough maybe Ashly will join the regular cast.

Maybe Ashly and Ashley will just swap in and out and nobody addresses it.