Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Did NOT expect the sleep spell to catch, that thing must have been LOW but Matt hadn't given any of his "it's looking pretty rough" type descriptors. Even without Sleep they probably still would've won given its remaining hp, but it was super clutch when it worked. Adding a Legendary Action to the fight made it loving intense, and the rolls were really falling Matt's way - the crit on Yasha loving HURT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
During the fight someone said "it has Legendary actions!?" and Matt's response was "Yea, it's a frenzied solo". Is that something from the DMs Guide, like official rules for buffing an encounter or something like that?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Sion posted:

If it's Sleep that people are talking about, sleep operates using a dice pool rather than a DC. Roll 5d8, that's the number of hitpoints a creature can have left in it and be put to sleep. It's weird because it's one of the few spells that functions like this rather than just a save.

Liam rolled a 23, so the monster had less than 23 hp left - supported by the damage it took to kill it after it awoke, so I don't think there was any funny business. I'm torn on the after waking attacks - they obviously had positioned themselves to attack as it wakes up, but they didn't explicitly say that. I would have been fine if Matt had allowed the Legendary Action hit before it went down - it wouldn't have changed anything except maybe knowing out Beau after all, the fight itself was already determined at that point.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Let's reminisce about favorite moments! Here are some of my favorites from Campaign 1:

Grog gives away a card: https://youtu.be/_RtrpEWTeqM

Tary's flashcards: https://youtu.be/DlXEvkhbQqo

Grog and Tary go shopping: https://youtu.be/gAZWLh83sOk

There are a million more, but these are some of my favorites (if they seem a little Travis and Sam focused, I wonder why). Anyone else have a highlight they love?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I agree re: Ashley. I get that she made a low Charisma character as a means to hide her awkwardness, but personally I still read that awkwardness as her own and not Yasha's. Every time Yasha acts shy or unprepared to talk about something, it just seems like Ashley is unprepared to talk about it. She's clearly a good actress so I wouldn't call it stage fright, but I would say that she's not so great at the improv and thinking on her feet. She really needs to sit down with Matt and work out exactly what she knows about Xhorhas, because that's clearly gonna keep coming up when she's around and if it's all hemming and hawing and whatnot that'll hurt the mood of the moment. And sit with Taliesin and figure out the depths of their relationship, because having someone she could consistently play off of would help flesh her out as a character.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Nah, he's just skipping the weeks that he wasn't there. Last week's shirt was actually from episode 24 of the first campaign. So I agree, he must have lost the shirt that he wore in episode 25 last time around.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
https://twitter.com/samriegel/status/1002256648591687680?s=21

I can't wait to see what this is all about.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Wow

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Sofia Vergara seems like the type who would take a knife to you if you tried that poo poo on her, but to be fair that's probably just me conflating her with her character on Modern Family.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Yea, Mary and Felicia killed it - Mary continues to do so throughout the run, Felicia just the once.

What happened with Felicia's relationship to the show and the rest of Geek and Sundry? I know she sold Geek and Sundry to Legendary - was it just a straight up sale and then move on with our lives type thing, or was there bad blood there?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I wonder what the new content will be. I assume that their new shows will feature the regulars of Critical Role, unlike the other G&S and Alpha shows which were largely a separate entity from CR, excluding Marisha's work and the time Liam was on Dread (never watched, any good?). Will it be TTRPG focused, or will it involve the 8 of them in other areas beyond gaming? Will Travis finally make "Sportsball"?

Also, I wonder about the ownership structure of the new network. Are all the cast members equal partners, or is this gonna be Matt and Marisha's network with help from their friends? I assume that with Travis' presence in the announcement video he and Laura at least will be pretty involved, but only time will tell.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
They just brought back Spellslingers with Day9 which definitely does good numbers, I wonder if that was planned to coincide with this news. But that is just a YouTube show, not an ongoing stream.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Top 5 moment of the entire campaign, for sure.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Xae posted:

90% of voice acting work is "I need you to make 'I just got shot' sounds for an hour".

I know absolutely nothing about the business of voice acting, but I remember either from the show or Talks someone making a pained groan, and Liam saying "Okay, now give me a medium pain reaction" and everyone giving a laugh-groan. I got the impression that making various "in pain" noises is a lot of the work they do.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
My favorite Grog moment is in Episode 95, when he gives away a card from the Deck to a drunk man with no family, hoping to see him get killed or something equally terrible happen only for it to be the Moon card, which grants the man 2 Wishes. Drawn from a full deck of cards, too! 1 in 52 chance and removes the card from the Deck permanently.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Gandalf beard, like belt length? No. Full, thick, luscious beard? Hell yes.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
IIRC, that episode is actually titled "Consequences and Cows".... but that last part probably doesn't mean anything. :allears:

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I know very little about most of his work, but I read his novel Priest because of his connection to the cast of CR and thought it was hot garbage. The plot doesn't make sense, the pacing is awkward and the scene transitions terrible, there are multiple important seeming side characters who get introduced for a scene and then forgotten for the rest of the novel, and it really, really mishandles at female characters.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
It's unfortunate that his deal with Satan expired so he won't be as funny anymore.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Marisha got a lot of hate for that stretch of the show, to the point where it became A Thing and they had to block posts about it on Reddit and poo poo. While I think it's crazy to send personal hate mail to someone because you don't like the way their character behaves in a show, I do agree that she really derailed the whole conversation with Raishan and made it hard to watch.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2 recently because it just came out on PS4, and while looking for tips videos on YouTube I came across this video, which is Matt GMing a game of Divinity in the GM mode, which is basically playing a table top game but in Divinity. He's playing with 4 people that I'm unfamiliar with but who do a great job with their characters. It's very entertaining and Matt does a great job running the game.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
It is absolutely a "hugbox". Any criticism is downvoted to hell.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Raygereio posted:

That is Reddit working as intended. It's not really a CR subreddit specific thing.
But considering there's been (and really still is) a ton of negativity towards some of the group (Marisha in particular), I don't think the community over there can be blamed for over correcting and shutting down anyone who tried to start yet another "I don't like Marisha" thing.

I'm not assigning any blame, I'm just stating the facts as I see them. At one time the CR Reddit was a hotbed of player specific criticism, but it got so out of hand that the pendulum has swung all the way to the other side. A random selection that I noticed the other day was this post:

quote:

The communities' been great for most of the other ones. It was just the level 20 one that was just inherently imbalanced that people were unhappy with.

in a thread about the Battle Royales, in response to a post saying that the community's reaction to the last one (that level 20 Druid Keyleth won) was so bad that they should never do another. It is currently at -8 points. Even implying that criticism could be leveled that wasn't "I hate Marisha and she won" is enough to be downvoted.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, Pike and Tary are going to have an interaction that's maybe my favorite of the entire campaign.

:same:

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Silynt posted:

Let's reminisce about favorite moments! Here are some of my favorites from Campaign 1:

Grog gives away a card: https://youtu.be/_RtrpEWTeqM

Tary's flashcards: https://youtu.be/DlXEvkhbQqo

Grog and Tary go shopping: https://youtu.be/gAZWLh83sOk

There are a million more, but these are some of my favorites (if they seem a little Travis and Sam focused, I wonder why). Anyone else have a highlight they love?
Quoting this post of mine from much earlier in the thread because those two moments are two of my top 3 of the whole campaign.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Are they besties in rl?

Yes, they've been best friends for years apparently. This show, "All Work No Play", is based on a podcast that they used to infrequently put out. In some of the old episodes you can hear them discuss before and then after the first session of the group that would years later become Critical Role. Sam had never played before and Liam hadn't played in years.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

RC Cola posted:

I finished season 1. Tary has the best ending :allears:
Also Grog's ending was classic Grog.
Poor Keyleth. Her ending was also good. Everything was so good. Arkhan at the end of 114 was also too tier.

Sam later posted the letter that he wrote as Tary and left unread - here is a Reddit thread that discusses it because I don't know how to link to the original tweet. Honestly, I was a little disappointed that Matt took this one away from Sam, they should have discussed handling it before the show.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Apparently the YouTube version went up with subtitles that fill in the blanks, with assists from the cast to remember what they said during the mic outages, but I haven't watched to verify how that works out.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
My only problem with the Darin episodes was everyone in the main cast misinterpreting his “I am you” metaphor as a literal statement and assuming that he was a depressed time traveling Scanlan (I don’t know if anyone explicitly says anything about this but you can tell from body language that they’re thinking it). And also getting a little overly melodramatic before the plane shift, although to be fair it was a little unclear if he would be “consumed” by the spell.

But yes, Darin himself was amazing.

I loved how salty Percy was that Scanlan was picked by the Goddess of Knowledge.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I think that sometimes Liam takes the desire to avoid meta-gaming too far, and ends up deliberately choosing sub-optimal plays even when there would be perfectly in character reasons to do something better. I've only watched the first half of last week's episode but there were two instances of this that jumped out at me: first, when he grabbed Fjord for a lengthy chat right after he and Avantica started a race, and second when he cast Featherfall deliberately on everyone in the party except Caduceus, who was the only person unconscious at the time.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Laura said in one of the first Talks that she deliberately turned down the first draft of official character art because Jester was too "hot", and that's not how she saw the character. Combined with her diet, some people have run with that to make her fat.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Because the intended medium is visual there are times when someone will make a gesture or something that gets a reaction from the group that doesn't come through on the podcast, but in general it's not too big of a downgrade.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

By the by, I was looking up entries in the Monster Manual and Ukutoa (or however that's spelled) is most certainly a kraken. Same background as what Beau heard, same snake-like appearance, and I think whats-her-face basically used one of its lair actions to push the boat. There are two others, so if Fjord activates another seal he might get to inflict lightning damage or lightning vulnerability in a radius.

I don’t have the book so I can’t comment, but another theory that I’ve seen thrown around is a Leviathan from Tome of Foes.

As for the power, Matt said on Talks on Tuesday that the blessing, had Travis not hosed it up and remembered to pull his sword out in time, was going to be a custom Warlock Invocation that would allow casting Control Water once a day. He let Avantika use it twice for narrative purposes, and honestly since she’s an NPC I think bumping the power of the blessing up a little for her is totally fine.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Scorchy posted:

Surprised nobody mentioning Caleb deliberately stalling him as he tried to go after it, with his swim speed he should have gotten to it easily.

Actually, during Talks Matt specifically mentioned Caleb’s interference as costing Fjord the chance at the blessing, the bit about Travis’ forgetfulness was me editorializing. Apparently Caleb cost him 2 rounds of swimming in the race to the bottom.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
They’re an entertaining enough read if you’re a fan of the series, but nothing to write home about. They’re non-canon, or at least they aren’t retelling a story that has been told before because they take place before even the pre-stream game. The story of the comics is how VM met each other (minus Percy and Pike).

The thing about characters that don’t track with the show is mostly about Vex I think. Personally I think Colville is a hack so I’m not surprised to see people complain about his story, but I didn’t think she was too far of the mark. Maybe not greedy enough.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

Is it just me being silly or is it actually kinda pitiable what happened to Avantika? I vaguely feel bad for her crew and her, even if she was a dangerous and unpredictable fanatic.

I feel bad for the crew who were just following orders (yes, yes, I know). But I find it hard to sympathize with someone working to release a presumably evil demigod from its cage. The main thing that I feel bad about is that I was hoping they could get away from Avantika with her still alive so that plotline could come back in a couple of years when they’re higher level. I should mention that I haven’t watched the episode and am only commenting based on reddit posts and fan-art that I’ve seen.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
They announced a Live Show One-Shot for January, and it’s going to be (Campaign 1 final episode spoilers)The Search for Grog in Pandemonium, with Travis and Liam playing new characters.

Hype As gently caress

I hope that somehow Percy loses an arm.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 11, 2018

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I just noticed that there isn’t anything in the announcement that says the show will be streamed or that VOD will be available. I hope that’s an oversight, because I’d honestly be more upset if this one-shot didn’t make it to VOD than a main campaign episode.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Kraps posted:

Update on break and 2019 programming: STATE OF THE ROLE: Winter Updates!
Bummed about no AWNP S2.

Still no commitment to stream or VOD the Search for Grog show. I assume this is because of the problems with the last show. It seems like they’re trying to work it out because they aren’t confirming on the negative either, but it would be nice to know before the tickets go on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Compared to Vox Machina, the campaign is still very meandering - Matt designed this stage of the campaign as an open world sandbox, and they’re taking advantage of it. He will dangle a variety of plot hooks in front of them, some of which they take and some they ignore. However, once they get to the city in episode 8, they start meandering with purpose and following actual plot lines, vs the first 7 episodes where they are just vaguely “going north”. That said, most of their quests thus far have been rather disconnected and the journey fairly “episodic”.

Edit: not that each episode is stand alone, but more like each story arc isn’t part of an overarching story besides “the story of the Mighty Nein”.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 19, 2018