Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is there a highlight/cringe reel of C1 episodes 1-27? I kinda want to see some of these Tiberius moments but not have them happen unexpectedly over 108 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Ashly Burch is good enough and gets along well enough with the cast that I would have absolutely zero objections to her being on the main cast. I would definitely tune into a show that had her and one or two other regular cast members.

Sumalee Montano, absolutely. Nila was her second time playing D&D and she nailed it. I really want to see her in a larger role.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

This week had my favorite Travis moment so far

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Beau clicks for me & I think Marisha's playing her well- the aftermath of Molly dying was on point.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 24, 2018

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Fender Anarchist posted:

In fairness it seems like Caduceus is kinda looking for that in-universe, he's sort of flailing about in this brave new world he's been thrust into looking for a direction. It's collaborative real-time fiction, not a tight, fully-scripted work; "I'm finding my place in the world" is a perfectly valid character arc imo.

I'm excited for where he's going because for all he's been challenged, he's never lacked confidence in what he's doing. (Except for when the gang stole a boat and blew up a dock and had to flee a city for no apparent reason)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

If im going to start on the main campaign. Are the youtubes better? The podcasts are going to be easier to fit into my schedule, but if the videos are worth it i'll use them instead. Thanks!

If you're new to CR, watch the video for the first episode so that you can put voices to faces. An NPC in episode 1 is named similarly to a player's character, and one of the players (Ashley Johnson) is gone intermittently for work after the first episode, and those threw me off a bit when I started with the podcast and didn't know who anyone was.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

NowonSA posted:

That's my take on it too, I mean we won't know for sure since it was prevented but if Matt pulled the trigger there that's a clear sign he's not pulling punches. If the spell slots were there it might have been avoided even in the worst case scenario, but people seemed pretty tapped by then.

I think Jester still had her pearl. (which, now that I think about it, is very much a "sorry you have to take Revivify" item)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Is it just me being silly or is it actually kinda pitiable what happened to Avantika? I vaguely feel bad for her crew and her, even if she was a dangerous and unpredictable fanatic.

Naah, I felt bad for her + her crew too. The situation was what it was, though.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

seaborgium posted:

Anybody manage to get tickets to the live show? First one close to me, and it doesn't sound like they'll be recording it. Their ticket place really needs a better website.

And by dumb luck i got in, but drat it's a crappy seat.

Maybe Sam will leave you a present!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I'm really confused why everybody's mostly just... going along with this, seems like a pretty major thing to yes-and for a party that spent twenty minutes debating the ethics of giving a guest star their macguffin. Except for Caleb- his plans are probably all landlocked so it totally tracks that he wants Fjord to be stronger and indebted to him. I dug how conspicuously silent he was about this despite being a voice of reason for the party.

Also, I'm psyched to see Travis use his sword more, now that his inventory is gonna be fixed. (You have to check a box in D&D Beyond labeling a weapon as your Hex or Pact weapon for it to actually get the Hexblade stuff, otherwise it's treated as a regular strength/finesse weapon. For who knows how long he's thought he had a +4/+1 when he actually has a +8 to hit and a +5 to damage with that falchion. He might've taken the invocation for an extra attack if he'd known. I play Hexblade and hoo boy I could feel the frustration coming off of that one.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Teddybear posted:

I still think that Matt is going to take over Fjord at some point as an evil NPC, and Travis will roll a new character they recruit to help stop the new big baddie. I wouldn’t be super surprised if Travis and Matt had planned the turn from the start of the campaign.

We’ve not seen anyone’s alignments, remember! :tinfoil:

If this happens I want Travis's new character to also be a Warlock so he can undo the PR damage he's doing to my class :sassargh:

tbh if he is evil this is a loving excellent play he's been doing and I look forward to the turn.

**To me it sounds like Vandrin had decided to hold onto the sphere / prevent Uk'otoa (~Uk'otoa~) from being summoned, and the guy who blew up his ship / killed him (Sabien?) was another chosen, but it doesn't seem like any of the cast have drawn that conclusion so I might be off base. If that's the case I think Fjord would absolutely do a heel-turn. Either way I'm really looking forward to Fjord running into Sabien, if/when that happens. I think at some point there was a breadcrumb trail leading to Port Demali?

Cheston fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 23, 2018

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Dameius posted:

Mighty Nein have less shopping episodes, so there is that. But Vox has spice, soooooo

RIP Mollymauk "I'm totally fishing for drugs" Tealeaf.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I thought Nott might've just been an adoptive parent but when the CR acct is tweeting this it seems like reincarnation def is the deal https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1088466603841384449

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Affi posted:

Nott basically threw away three rounds trying to open

You're gonna need this sentence fragment a couple more times at least.

CuwiKhons posted:

My dude I can tell you right now that if you don't like watching the CR cast play out combat sub-optimally or even outright poorly because they're morons, you should exit now. They've been doing this stream for three and a half years and they have not gotten better at tactics.

When they address difficulties they're having in combat, they do tend to do so in-character, which is nice.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I went to bed after this conversation but as others have mentioned - yes, he's bisexual and relatively open about it. He has a long term girlfriend but has said on the record that he doesn't believe in marriage and isn't interested in it, nor do they live together (way way back in the early part of the fandom, he did a periscope at his house and showed off his chicken coop while mentioning he lives only with a roommate he's had since college). He barely talks about her but I don't know if it's because it's off and on or because he's much more private about his romantic life than... any other part of his life that he talks loudly and happily about.

they've only been dating for 80 years so it's probably not a serious relationship

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

wokow6 posted:

Probably the most predictable answer, but...

How Do You Want To Do This?

Hello, bees!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

I’m curious how that ties in to the rumors of children being abducted from the empire. I think the party just forgot about that.

oh snap, I totally forgot about that! It'd make sense that some reincarnations would happen in the Empire, if the Empire had 2 dodecahedrons/Luxons for long enough.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

stratofarius posted:

I think I might finally drop it and pick it back up whenever I feel like it.

Did the previous campaign have good 'jumping back in' points?

A Bard's Lament, episode 85, is a good jumping back in point for Campaign 1. Conclave's out, Tary's in

(For Campaign 2 I'd say the best jumping-in point so far is The Ruby and the Sapphire (2x33), though Commerce and Chaos (2x31) onwards is a good time.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Teddybear posted:

So... I'm declaring Critical Role bankruptcy. I fell behind when I got a new job in March that suddenly meant that oh, I can't stay up and watch the show live every week because a show that ends at 2 AM isn't conducive to a 5:45 AM wake-up. So I let the backlog get longer and longer, and now it's up to 18 or 19 episodes-- I think 54 was the last one I saw properly, back in early March.

Between then and now, what are some particularly good episodes that I shouldn't just catch the recap of? What should I make the time to watch in full?

Start at the end of episode 56. Context: the M9 are waiting for an audience with the Bright Queen of Xorhas, which they got as a favor, after dealing with the demon business you would have seen in episode 54. Then watch episode 57.

After that, jump to halfway through episode 61. You can double back to the "previously on" summary for that episode, or read this summary: The M9 discover a demonic presence (and another abyssal-portal-opening device) on their mission for the inventor. There's some hair inside the device that they use for scrying, but don't know who it is when the scry succeeds. They return to Rosohna successful in their mission.

Watch episodes 62 and 63. Then you can skip to episode 68. (You can skip to episode 69 after the first twenty minutes, but you'll miss some grade-A dungeon crawling.) I would watch everything past episode 69, but you're probably fine just getting the recaps of 70 and 71.

I'm just the right level of high to really enjoy making this post, thank you so much Teddybear. If this is too many episodes, I can try to pare it down some more.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

What is the "motivational speech" Caduceus gives before the heist? Does he have an item or a feat that does that? They mentioned it coming from the Acquisitions Incorporated book.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 24, 2019

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

It's really frustrating to find out Caleb has Fly readied and then watch him not use it on Nott. I mean you're trying to pickpocket a flying person

This whole episode looked as frustrating to play as it was to watch

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Thanks! I still had half of it left and tbh it is some grade-A content, Sam DM'ing a comedy one-shot always works well.

**the first half is definitely better, the bit starts to lag a little after 3 hours

Cheston fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 9, 2019

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Fun fact from a rewatch, when they first see Yussa's tower up close (ep... 34? when they first get to Nicodranas) Marisha exclaims that it's just like Allura's.

I'm looking forward to Sam realizing he didn't buy new Thieves' Tools. (it's the kind of thing they'll probably handwave but it'll still be fun)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Why didn't the Ring of Evasion work? I missed something.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Pussy Quipped posted:

But also Trinket sucks and is the least interesting part of Vex's character.

counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZRvJAyGTfU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Saxophone posted:

^^^ I'm pretty excited about that. On their Facebook page they shared an interview with Mercer and the interviewer mentions that this is the first universe to be added since Eberron and Matt's face as he realizes that and subsequent tear wiping is the most :3: thing.

Also, I got behind and sidetracked and am coming back now. I left off on episode 44. Where would be a good place to read wikis to and then jump back into the episodes? Given they're 3-4 hours each, I wouldn't mind skipping some episodes, but I also heard some crazy things happen so yeah.

I wrote up a guide for catching up on some of your gap, lemme dig it up.

**Episode 50 is pretty skippable, except for this part. (watch until ~2:52:00. or, you'll know when to stop)
Episode 55 is skippable if you want, it's mostly combat. You can read the wiki, or this spoiler: They hunt down the demons and seal another rift to the Abyss, preventing the demons from escaping. It's a very rough fight. They kill the demons. Nott kills Caduceus by accident and he has to be revived. They search the cavern and find an operating abyssal anchor, used to punch holes between the Abyss and the Prime Material Plane. Then they go to sleep.

Then I wrote this for someone at ep 54. I still mostly agree with it- you can watch all of 56 if you want to. 64-67 have good moments and you learn more about Xorhas, but there's nothing plot-critical.

Cheston posted:

Start at the end of episode 56. Context: the M9 are waiting for an audience with the Bright Queen of Xorhas, which they got as a favor, after dealing with the demon business you would have seen in episode 54. Then watch episode 57.

After that, jump to halfway through episode 61. You can double back to the "previously on" summary for that episode, or read this summary: The M9 discover a demonic presence (and another abyssal-portal-opening device) on their mission for the inventor. There's some hair inside the device that they use for scrying, but don't know who it is when the scry succeeds. They return to Rosohna successful in their mission.

Watch episodes 62 and 63. Then you can skip to episode 68. (You can skip to episode 69 after the first twenty minutes, but you'll miss some grade-A dungeon crawling.) I would watch everything past episode 69, but you're probably fine just getting the recaps of 70 and 71.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 15, 2020

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Witnone posted:

TV IV › Critical Role (on Twitch/Youtube, yes) - Jester's god is the best fey ever

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Where did the whole bidet thing in the chat start?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Abisteen posted:

New Narrative Telephone tomorrow with Laura Bailey's husband Sam Reigel starting the story and special guests AWNP-Unplugged and Recess' Gretchen Grundler on Wednesday

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

eke out posted:

i think if you go back and pay close attention, you might find he was there after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6miK4kIwIE&t=7733s

that's a good pull right there

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I'm watching Campaign 1 for the first time, and it is so weird hearing these people just say "it's been awhile" without echoing anything.

Also, episode 17 was a good starting point, thank you for the rec, thread.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Early C1: Who's this guy who steps into Matt's frame at the end of every episode to do announcements? Matt doesn't seem to like it but it keeps happening. It feels weird considering the lengths they go to keep the screen cast-only in C2.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

Mica Barton’s had a rough couple days. Looks like working at Rooster Teeth was pretty rough and it just came out.

I have more than a few times wondered if she could fit in permanently with the cast. She brings a ton of energy and youthful spirit and they all seemed to love having her.

I could totally see her as #8 on Campaign 3.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Mage_Boy posted:

I wonder if this delay is Matt learning to create VTT maps and all the inner workings of the system. My DM loves Roll20 but he did say it has a steep learning curve that once you understand it you end up doing cool things with.

It might be them setting up one-person tables up 6 feet apart from eachother, and adjusting the entire recording setup as a result. I have no idea what the guidelines they're working with are, though.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

If some people havent seen it, some people have made a searchable database of CR transcripts
https://kryogenix.org/crsearch/

I checked to see who said the word "dick" the most in Campaign 2. It was, in fact, Laura!

Laura - 45
Marisha - 43
Sam - 43
Matt - 26
Travis - 23
Liam - 22
Ashley - 6.
Taliesin - 5 (that's 2 in-character and 2 out-of-character while Caduceus, 1 in-character while Mollymauk)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

108k. this feels like a lot more people than usual??

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

At one point near the end Orion does one of the most irritating things a player can do, which is try to leverage their PC's background into an advantage that not only throws the entire adventure off the rails, the PC doesn't really have a right to claim and more importantly would put the entire spotlight on Tiberius. Laura can't help but throw shade at him and Travis is large enough I would be concerned if I saw him fuming like that. At that point I noticed Orion had also this little 'who, me?' look he'd bring out whenever people called him on stuff.

I wish someone would make a highlight video of the moments that episode, I was multitasking and I missed Travis's anger.

...is there a "decline of Orion" video?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Lid posted:

Bring back Deborah Ann Woll permanently

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Marisha playeayed a bard in the Darrington Brigade one shot and killiealilled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Eldritch BiLast posted:

I got several of the VM Funko pops in the other day, and had to make a very important change to Percy's box.

taliesin-clapping-like-citizen-kane-in-front-of-a-greenscreen.gif