Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

And sometimes you just try not to smile as they ask all the wrong questions and then just blunder into the trap you set up to begin with, because occasionally that's just real funny.

Anyway hi I just started listening to this while I play FFXIV and I skipped ahead to the Briarwood stuff since that was my reccomended entry point. I'm listening to the podcast version and not the video archives so I'm probably missing a lot of the Orion hostility stuff but even then there's things like the old lady chainsawing intervention that just comes off very we-are-talking-to-you-the-player-not-the-character to where it's hard to miss some weird energy going on in that room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jesus christ the entire Sun Tree corpses scene Mercer's a monster

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah sure, it's this guy. There's no conclusive proof that it's Orion but he blocked literally everyone who even suggested it might be and the twitter account has gone out of its way to harass his ex-girlfriend and all his ex-friends. Could it be just a rabid fan? Sure. But Orion's been awfully silent about it.

ricky gervais avatar kind of says it all

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

A bunch of them were voices in the first one so that's not really surprising

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I jumped in on the start of the Briarwood arc and feel like I'm pretty caught up on everything so far

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I just watched the Liam's Quest episodes and that may have been the most meta thing I've ever seen

In a similar vein Sam leaving his headshot and resume on a man's corpse may be the funniest thing in the series

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dameius posted:

The guy who plays Percy was on the wrong mix of meds during the first part of the first campaign and it generally makes him seem pretty underwhelming, and his class is a homebrew port. He really comes into his own mechanically and narratively though, especially once he was on the right mix/dose of meds. Since I don't know how much spoilers you've been exposed to I'll not say when unless you want to know.

Trinket on the other hand really never stops being a hassle.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

victorious posted:

Sam/Scanlans outright disdain for this bear being dragged around with them is hilarious, almost as good as any time they're trying to get through a tight spot and Matt asks "What is Trinket doing?" and none of them have remembered it's even with them.

The former also leads to the fantastic joke of Liam making Sam be a beast master ranger in the Liam's Quest episodes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Popo posted:

Lies.

"I LOVE TRINKETS!" ~ Sam, on Trinkets. Context? Whats that? No such thing. Trinket is love.

Also, I'm watching this Liam Quest and it's really weird. Laura's hulahooping is on point and the opening is really funny, Vax looks like Elrond going through an Emo phase. The actual... adventure(?) is also amazing. Already betting on the dog Sam is looking after dying by the end.

the highlight of part 1 is Sam stopping in the middle of the post-apocalypse to ask Travis if he was getting paid more than him

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

Fair warning if you're new to C1, Vax gets pretty dark at points, partly because Liam was apparently going through some tough personal stuff, not all of which he's really talked about publicly beyond "I had some poo poo to deal with" and it gets a little intense. Thing seem to settle down and they just have fun with the emo-ness of it after a while but if you're enjoying the devil-may-care element he has in the early eps.... that changes.

Is this around the time of the sudden "what the gently caress are we doing with these people?" scene or have I not hit this yet

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

For frame of reference where I am now it's the episode with the Percy legacy speech

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GoneRampant posted:

Liam did a Periscope around episode 50 where he admits that things got dark for him because his ma passed away after a battle with cancer. He point-blanks says the games were like therapy in helping him move forward.

Oh

okay yeah that suddenly makes a lot of poo poo make sense

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Look after a drug deal there's only so many ways to go

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I just got to the (C181 spoilers) Deck of Many Things bit

holy gently caress this show

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

I love that moment so much. Just the gradual ripple as everyone except Sam and Travis realise what is about to happen. And almost everyone's response is difference. Liam is disbelief. Laura is sheer terror. Marisha is giggling. Rothfuss tries to be stone-faced and fails. And the result is Travis completely panicking.

Plus the moment where it looks like Grog is going to throw it away and Laura does the most blatant metagame I think they've ever done.

The full-on admonishing spouse voice "Travis!" absolutely killed me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Real deep in campaign 1 right now and every interaction between Pike and Taryon is gold.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Every post-Tiberius shopping trip in Critical Role is at least 70% about making Matt have to come up with new NPCs or world details or situations where two idiots have to hide unconscious guards

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

A hill giant is totally doable if they play smart. It's essentially a big ball of HP with no gimmicks except getting to attack twice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

It says a lot about how fantastic the backhalf of episode 85 is when it manages to completely overshadow the Grog vs Groon fight.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Watching episode 99 as we speak

goddamn, every bit in this episode is a killer

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I cannot loving believe this is happening right now

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I went to Hupperduk and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

In It For The Tank posted:

It's like Vax/Keyleth all over again - where Liam basically decided for Marisha that they were gonna be a couple - but even more forced.

so is this like an actual thing or some weird projection

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

So weird projection then, got it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sion posted:

Ten bucks says Grog didn't make it another 5 years.

Depends on whether or not he got the Deck back I imagine

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gonna run a one-shot of a group of thieves breaking into the most secret vault in Whitestone to retrieve a pack of cards

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ashley's talked before on Talks Machina about how roleplaying doesn't come as easy to her as it does the others and she really has to work at it.

As someone who has absolutely had players like that (and used to be a player like that) the fact that she has as many good bits as she does is impressive.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Matt Mercer putting in a kenku just to show off

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arthil posted:

I really feel like most people overestimate just how young Kiri is for a Kenku. She's probably not far from being a teenager.

They gave a teenager a knife, gently caress.

everyone's reaction to her swinging it around was the best

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

unsurprisingly everywhere other than here is being completely loving miserable about the end of the stream

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RC Cola posted:

I just started episode one. Not a fan of dragonborn sorcerer.

I got good news for you in about twenty five episodes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I wonder if we'd be having similar conversations had we seen the first eight or so levels of the Vox Machina campaign.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

kingcom posted:

I mean was s1 their first campaign ever? Their characters having any kind of backstory beyond the most simple of things is a loving miracle in and of itself and I assume thats a result of them all having acting experience and/or being told they are going on camera and seeing the reaction to other character's backstories. Honestly the only backstory stuff I've found super dumb so far was an NPC showing up who knew Molly and then Molly not engaging with it

Campaign 1 was only the first for Sam and Marisha, I think, and they're both the ones who have the backgrounds that were hastily assembled out of pop culture references (Scanlan's past is literally the plot to Eight Mile and Keyleth is very clearly Avatar the Last Airbender influenced)

Everyone else had brief little background bits, with Tallesin as the one with the in-depth background from the start. Dude also used to be a VTM LARPer so that's the least surprising thing ever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I mean he did have Grog and Scanlan almost fight every guard in Vasselheim last campaign because of something remarkably stupid Grog did like ten sessions prior, had the deal with the Clasp fall through because Vax and Keyleth couldn't morally compromise even a little, and had the team temporarily stripped of their positions due to attacking visiting nobles and the unrepentant chainsawing of an unconscious old lady.

I don't think Matt's afraid to hold them responsible for doing dumb poo poo in social situations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

when it comes to tabletop roleplaying games no one has stanima like Taliesin Jaffe

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at Jun 5, 2018 around 05:16

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

the last full episode he's on is the most awkward thing you will ever watch though

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hulk Smash! posted:

C:1, E:27

It's not fun awkward though. Travis looks about ready to punch him at times.

they all do

it's rare footage of matt actually being mad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yeah Percy was supposed to be, to paraphraseTaliesin, a bad person who presents as a better one.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

kingcom posted:

So I watched that episode 27 and the slow descent and 5 stages of grief Travis goes through is amazing to watch. Hes the guy who seems relentlessly happy and positive and is the cast member I most want to hang out with and goddamn does he go down a pit in episode 27.

If looks could kill Orion would have been incinerated on the spot for that entire "half-chub" bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sadly using Ashley's character (as cool as said character is) means using someone who has zero interactivity with the world, quests, and other party members in a game where so much of it is based around that interactivity.

«2 »