Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I will say for the Orion thing that, as has been said, a whole lot of bad poo poo just came down on him a ton of bricks at the same time, chief among which being his own mental health problems. I was a really big fan of Tiberius so it was a shame to see him go.

And just to say something since someone noted that Scanlan was an Eminem ripoff, Sam has bluntly admitted to this in interviews, there's nothing ambiguous about it.

I will back up what has been said about the most recent episode though, which was a complete trip. I haven't been as fond of the new gang as Vox Machina (Beau feels like Marisha low-key ripping off another character from the Avatar franchise only this time it's Korra and Caleb's kleptomania/hoarding of items is one of my personal D&D banes) but it really came together into a great episode. I've been skimming some of the newer episodes but I may go back and watch the city episodes in full now.

Either way, this is definitely going down as where the campaign finds its feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, Marisha does sometimes latch onto red herrings and refuses to let go even when the rest of the group is basically begging her to, but every player has quirks and flaws.

Except Travis and Sam, who I am convinced can do no wrong between them. I'm always bemused when I hear that Travis is really surprised how much the fandom likes him and how many appreciation threads he gets. He seems like such a chill guy, probably the most "can see myself meeting up with him after work and having a drink" of the cast.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

In It For The Tank posted:

And then there's Marisha. Now I know some people take their personal hatred of her way too far... but that doesn't invalidate the valid criticisms of Keyleth.

Keyleth was an awful character because she was so inconsistent. Marisha wanted her to be both the burgeoning leader going through a journey of self-discovery and emotional growth and the happy go lucky carefree flower child, but there was no real coherency between the two sides of the character. She was just "awkward": where "awkward" could mean anything from being abrasive and self-righteous to being borderline autistic. Marisha also has the tendency to step on other people's toes during roleplay so Keyleth would frequently make herself a part of something and end up derailing it (the defining example of this is in the episode after Umbrasyl when Percy said he was going to go talk to Vex, and this was in the days before they were a couple so their scenes together were still a rarity, and Keyleth pulls him aside to have an emotional breakdown for like the second time in the episode, which ends up distracting Percy for long enough for Matt to move the episode along so he never actually talks to Vex).

Unfortunately, Beau seems like more of the same. She's a bit better, but that's probably because she's interacting with Fjord/Travis more (rather than Percy/Taliesin and Vax/Liam). She also tries too hard to be cool, which is a really unlikable character trait, but I'm my crossing my fingers that she will improve.

I just wanna thank you because I've been trying to find the right words to phrase my dislike of Keyleth for about two years now and here you come with wisdom and glory. Can't agree more on Keyleth being a bad character.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CuwiKhons posted:

I don't have the details on hand but supposedly he made a sockpuppet account to harass his ex-girlfriend and try to get her blacklisted from various places (she's an actress I guess?) He accused her of being racist, homophobic, etc. and tagged people like G&S, Legendary, whatnot. She doesn't even work for Legendary.

Jeez. Got a source on that? If it's true then gently caress him royally, but he's had a rough enough few years without getting heat for a false accusation if it's not.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zeratanis posted:

Honestly though, he is pretty drat weak and it's unfortunate but I also blame the fact that he was playing a ranged character for almost 5 years and hasn't really had much opportunity to actually get into the thick of it. Of course I also say this not knowing at all how Blood Hunters are at higher levels compared to other martial classes.

I ran a Blood Hunter before and I can't recommend it. Around level 6 or so I actually approached my DM and asked for permission to multiclass into Fighter because I was very obviously falling behind mechanically (it didn't help that I misunderstood my DM and was going off the preset stat pool of 15-14-14 etc when the rest of the team had rolled good stats).

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, most of Matt's flubs or house-rules I have no problem whatsoever with. Case in point, when Scanlan used Dimension Door to bypass the Prismatic Wall, I had no problem with either response he considered (treating it as slamming into all the layers one by one, or allowing the player to do something really cool by explicitly looking at the text of the spell). The only time I've raised an eyebrow was letting Keyleth keep using beast shape after she got hit with feeblemind in the post-campaign battle royal. I get that he was trying to keep her competitive, but you have to consider whether or not an ability makes any sense for a character to be able to use when they're dumber than most animals. (Plus the 20th level removal on the limit of how many times a druid can wild shape is cool, but in that context made her literally unkillable)

In the campaign I mentioned last page where I played a Blood Hunter, one of the other players was playing a Druid who tricked the DM (who was new to 5e) into letting him take a homebrew feat which let him Wild Shape as many times as his proficiency modifier per day, which gave him two Elemental shifts per day. Two years on, I blame this for why I have an irrational hatred of Druids in D&D.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Matt's really been getting a lot of work thanks to Critical Role. Larian Studios brought him in to advertise the DM mode in Divinity Original Sin 2 and now this (though this is more just getting Critters to go "Oh hey the gang's in this I should give it a look!").

I'm not sure if this means Vox Machina are gonna make a cameo or if it'll just be a case of the gang voicing NPCs but either way I'm down with that.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh buddy, he will get worse before he leaves. If you're actually watching the episodes instead of just using them as background noise, there will come a moment where Travis will be visibly on the verge of kicking Orion's rear end based on him both having dicked around all episode and also having made an very inappropriate comment to Laura.

Even as someone who used to bat for Orion pretty hard (there's been some recent stuff on the Twitterz that implicates Orion in hosting a charity drive for one of his stream mods who was hit by a hurricane and never giving them the money), that was a super awkward moment and basically killed episode-long shopping trips for the rest of the campaign IIRC.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Well, and Taliesen outright said he took Tough this time, which is a no-brainer admittedly. Blood Hunter needs as much HP as possible to get the most out it's abilities.

Can confirm, I took Tough myself when I played a Hunter.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pussy Quipped posted:

I'm glad there's a thread for CR! I'm not caught up on Season 2 yet, still have like 4 episodes to go. I do miss Grog a lot though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFE2QIPsZwY

It's OK, the new God of War game basically kidnapped Grog and replaced him with Kratos.

... Seriously, even Travis pointed out how much Kratos looks like Grog now with the beard, especially now that Kratos is using an axe.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bagrada posted:

I don't have the link here at work, but if you are listening by podcast note that season 1 episode 4 ends as soon as their session does. If you are watching it on youtube instead they go on to have a lengthy (over an hour?) Q&A with subbed fans in twitch where everyone but Bailey and Riegel sit in front of the camera and chime in when they can. Some pretty interesting talk about how they all got started, how some of them settled on their characters, their gaming histories and interests and so on.

I'm pretty sure that's the Q&A where we learned about how Scanlan nearly got his first kill on a boss monster, only for Sam to roll a Nat 1 at the last moment. Matt then describes the boss just side-stepping Scanlan's charge before he falls out a window and through a nest of thorns.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

the highlight of part 1 is Sam stopping in the middle of the post-apocalypse to ask Travis if he was getting paid more than him

Travis was on his A-game for that episode, and he's one of the consistently best players at the table. Him and Sam have a fantastic dynamic and that episode was full of it.

"He was never good at the cold reads..."

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Liam did a Periscope around episode 50 where he admits that things got dark for him because his ma passed away after a battle with cancer. He point-blanks says the games were like therapy in helping him move forward.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

I believe that's because Sam literally has to dash across town from directing... DuckTales? in order to make the LDN studio for Critical Role. He's basically writing this poo poo in the back of an Uber.

(Also, I just started watching the early-2000s TMNT show after binging a bunch of Turtles comics, and I can't not hear how hard Sam's working for his Donatello voice)

It warmed my heart a little when Sam did an interview a year or so back and said that even after all this time, he's still proudest of having voiced Donatello in the 2K3 series. As someone who grew up on it, it was a nice moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Firstborn posted:

No I get it, I mean more Caleb telling Nott over and over that they are leaving if they don't like these people, etc. Sam (and by proxy Nott) are already invested in the group, which may be out of character but way better for the dynamic. Most of the things that Caleb gets called out for are just him playing his moody, awkward wizard and I kind of love it. It often seems like Liam's earnest attempts are cut off by a joke. I'm rambling.

I like this show.

I think if Liam wasn't as charismatic as he was, Caleb and Vax would be seen as rather one-note stereotypes (the brooding Rogue heavily associated with corvids/the loner wizard). But somehow, he just about manages to make them both mostly likable characters.