Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
How much am I missing out on if I listen to the podcast instead of watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Awesome, thanks! I don’t really watch much stuff at home, but have been looking for something to listen to while driving, and I’m halfway through the first episode of campaign 2 right now. Seems fun so far!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm an episode or two behind but I really hope Fjord takes his Texas accent back once he gets a new patron. I can't stand the new one.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm pretty much caught up on Campaign 2 (one episode behind because I do podcasts), which is fun because I can actually read the thread! However, it turns out I'm going to be doing about 60 hours of driving for work this month, and I have no more backlog to catch up on, so I'm thinking I'll get started on Campaign 1! I was reading episode 30 is a good starting point, due to them getting their legs under them and Orion being a shitter, is this still the go to advice? Any must-see stuff before that?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
It sounds like they complained to CR about harassment, CR took the time to listen to him, and now he wants to be paid for complaining.

It’s like me PMing a mod, telling them I don’t like what their doing, and then sending a consulting invoice.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Raygereio posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining people being a fan of Critical Role just because of DnD. I watch it because the people at the table have a chemistry that's enjoyable to watch. I don't really care about the specifics of the system they're playing.:shrug:

I think it was another thread, maybe TG as an Industry, but apparently other tabletop streamers have switched games from D&D and immediately lost ~30-50% of their viewer base, and that's conservative. It may not happen for CR, but immediate history shows that it's certainly a risk, and I'm assuming that as the unquestioned leader in tabletop RPG actual play streaming, they would take a conservative 'it's working better than literally every competitors product by an order of magnitude so don't reinvent the wheel' approach. Especially considering that there's a decent chance there are hard D&D tie-ins to the multimillion dollar animated series they just sold to investors (crowdfunded and actual corporate investors), and burning the bridge with D&D could certainly have negative connotations for those contractual obligations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Dawgstar posted:

I am genuinely curious how much of CR's success is Matt and crew and that 'they're playing D&D.' I'm inclined to think it's heavily for the former and if they kept playing Pathfinder we would not have seen much change, but for the smaller streaming groups/podcasts it is true that especially now D&D itself is a fandom and they're going to follow if you play D&D but not if you jump over to World of Darkness or something. I'm also curious how well the Vampire game that used to be on G&S and I think is its own thing now(?). Clearly it did not do CR numbers but I think it does okay.

The other thing is, D&D is straight up synonymous with tabletop gaming to a vast majority of people.The Tabletop RPG category of Twitch has 634 watchers as of the time of this post. The DnD category has north of 33k.

I'm fairly recent to the tabletop gaming scene, but have been a giant nerd my whole life. I learned about Shadowrun from the Sega Genesis RPG of the same name, and learned about Vampire from the computer game. But I knew what Dungeons and Dragons was well before either of those. poo poo, my parents knew what DnD was, my teachers knew, the youth pastors at church knew what it was, and this was in the 90's, it's ubiquitous. I don't think CR ever would have made it if they stuck with Pathfinder, even if Pathfinder is a better system (I have no opinions either way, I've never played PF).

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Since I was able to actually catch up on campaign two during the hiatus, I started going through campaign 1 - I pretty much only listen to it when I'm caught up on C2, and I'm up to episode 55 right now.

I'm much more a fan of C2, but C1 is still fun. The character in C2 are just so much better for the most part.

Caleb is far better than Vax.
Jester is so so much better than Vex.
Nott/Veth is better than Scanlan, though it's closer than Caleb/Jester vs Vax/Vex
Percy is a bit better than Molly, but not nearly as good as Cadeuces.
Beau is a lot better than Keyleth.

However, Pike seems much better realized than Yasha - hopefully now that Ashley's back full time, she can actually get into Yasha's character, but more than anyone else, Yasha's seemed like a stat sheet (though she has had some moments), while every time Pike and Grog run into each other it's absolutely adorable.

Which brings me to Grog, who is head and shoulders above Fjord as well as every other character in either campaign, except maybe Kiri.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Man, is Jester about to have a crisis of faith?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Nemo2342 posted:

The Balleater has become the Balleaten.

Not emptyquotin

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Sam fried the gently caress out of his hair

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Sooooo what does Jester multi-class to if this goes south

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Maybe they'll get a rest before Vokodo after all?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
This entire arc was an excuse to kill the Balleater

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Waiting for Marius to trip over an ancient powerful artifact and become the BBEG

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

TotalHell posted:

I’m of the opinion we need a Conclave moment like from C1 here in the second campaign. Something that really drives the players to need to address some immediate threats. We had some of that with the Chained Oblivion storyline, but since that seems to be wrapped, I feel like we’re waiting for the next thing. I feel like Matt might force that once we hit the end of island arc, though. The whole campaign needs a new impetus.

I mean, is Chained Oblivion even actually done? I can definitely see a couple operatives having slipped the cracks.

Or maybe they sail back to Nicodraunos and Ukotoa and another betrayer god manifest some followers to start razing the whole drat town. There's also a loose end with that ancient white dragon they pissed off to forge the Star Razor

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Drint Blasters posted:

What was the recommended starting point for campaign 1, still episode 27?

Some people say Slayer's Take is a good arc to start on and hell it might be, but I started at 28 and didn't feel lost.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Mechanically, it feels like they would need something with consistent damage - I feel Nott/Veth was consistently making some pretty big sneak attacks.

However, a party with two full arcane casters and two clerics would be pretty over the top.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
A full Paladin would be pretty sweet. I know Fjord and Vax multiclassed into them, but Fjord is nowhere near real Paladin potential (and might barely get his first aura before 20?) - a high level Paladin is a whole different beast. (I haven't finished C1 yet so I have no idea how Vax's build ended up, Also, Sam could RP an enormously smarmy Oath of Glory paladin.

Sam as a wild magic sorcerer could be fun too, but I don't know if Matt or the rest of the party would be down for wild magic table shenanigans.

Maybe he'll go another Matt homebrew, and pick an Echo Knight from the new Wildmount sourcebook, hailing from Xorhas?

e; comedy kenku Assassin option

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 31, 2020

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Narsham posted:

This is a good spot for Sam to introduce a new character as one of the Travellercon attendees. They obviously aren’t all clerics.

Inject the trickster paladin directly into my veins

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Sam is going to retire Veth and then Artagon will stop by to visit Jester, except now Sam is doing his lines

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Mylan posted:

Seriously though, I think Veth just needs a reason to stay. Right now, all major plots are seemingly resolved besides Travelercon. There's no good excuse to stay away from her family now, and that makes her feel guilty. BUT, I wonder if Matt drops the next big thing, like say The Chained Oblivion is up to no good again or something, I'm sure Veth would be equally conflicted about sitting at home while her friends risk their lives to save the world.

Sam's new character is the chained oblivion

e; Shitposted before I even thought about it. I don't think Chained Oblivion is done yet - they got what, one shotcaller in his cult?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Beauregard about to blow up Jester’s mom :ohdear:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Don't they take a week or two off a year so Matt and Marisha can go to Burning Man, while other people run one-shots? I don't think drugs are something they're particularly squeamish about.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

NowonSA posted:

It's too bad they pretty much only got in good with wizardy types, what they really need is the most badass warrior or barbarian around who'd be down to fight by their side. They'll never think about it as a possibility, but even fairly minor people like the mercenary/adventurer paladin who kicked Fjord's rear end in an arena fight would be a solid recruit. It'd be interesting to see them round up bodies that are the equivalent to level 8-9 adventurers and just thrown them into the Lucian fight meat grinder.

They could always look up Ashly Burch so Keg can help get Molly killed a second time :imunfunny:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
My dream is Blades in the Dark, but 7 players is waaay too many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Dragonstoned posted:

The only good thing about Gern was Vex stealing his broom right in front of him

Nila was brilliant, Twiggy was also pretty fun.

Wasn't really a fan of Calianna but its probs just because I think the guy playing her has an annoying voice.

Gern wasn't any worse than Patrick Rothfuss.

My dream CR sideshow is a short Blades in the Dark campaign, or really any fiction-first system for a little bit - it feels like all of them are good enough at improv and buying into the fiction that something special could come out of it.