Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm hoping his Stuttering Cajun Tortle Bard from the fireside chat shows up in the next couple of episodes.

I believe that was part of the deal with him making it, that the NPC has to show up at some point in one of the episodes. Doesn't necessarily have to be a major player, but is somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

NowonSA posted:

Laura playing with a pencil in the air and just dropping it stunned when Taryon says paying them something like 25k a day is nothing is still one of my favorite quick little moments of the show.

He's like a perfect mascot, hopefully they can whip up little plushie merch or something down the line. Also a great guard dog to leave and watch over things if they end up with big deal property like Greyskull or Castle Whitestone to their names.

At this rate, and with their backstories, they're going to end up owning Jester's mother's brothel. Which, to be far is not a bad stronghold but would be hilarious to see them have to work with it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Nobody can have a consistent room because they're all in use when they get there.

Cadaceus would, there'd be all the corpse mushrooms he stores in there so none of the workers would go in there.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Sam is a trickster god, as evidenced by his extremely long term prank to turn Vex into a witch with a broom, pointy hat, and green skin.

Dude has some long, long term plans going on from time to time. He also can play Matt and the rest of the group like a fiddle. Spoilers from C1 finale When he got that clutch dispel on Vecna, you can see him come up with the plan, realize he has to distract Mercer and the rest of the group from his less than effective actions, get Mercer to not notice he's in range to dispel and just go ahead with his plan for Vecna's round, and then go ahead and do that with a funny song to inspire Grog , even though the rest of the group starts to notice he's doing something weird. Dude's subtle.

And I may have missed it but did it ever come up who he was sending the random packages to earlier in the second season? Were those to Jester?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wahad posted:

I'm not sure if it was stated, but I'm pretty sure they're addressed to the family of the halfling that Nott saved from her tribe and taught her alchemy.

Ok. Just curious.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Adnor posted:

Even Sam has his limits.

I hope.

After the roller skates/vinyl onesie with a light up crotch I think there are no limits.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Teddybear posted:

Spooky. She sent that as I was typing apparently.

God, poor Jester when she finds out. :ohdear:

Honestly I was a bit suprised Taliesin and Sam didn't say "Jester is carving (stabbing) pictures into the hull of the ship while Fjord is with the captain."

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Koryk posted:

Is there no VOD for this episode? I thought they came out right away on Twitch but search doesn’t turn up anything past episode 39.

Are you looking on the Geek and Sundry twitch or the Critical Role twitch? For whatever hosed up reason, the Crit Role one doesn't do the VOD but the Geek and Sundry does.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Double Agent posted:

The episodes don't show up until Monday on the G&S YouTube channel. I don't know how it works with a sub for the G& S twitch channel.

The VOD for the G&S twitch shows up during the show if you have a subscription, so if you miss the start you can start the VOD before the show even ends. They definitely don't show up on the Critrole twitch, which is kind of lovely.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Does the show even directly stream on the CritRole Twitch? I thought they just hosted G&S on Thursdays?

Yeah, if you want to enter the giveaway you have to enter on the Critrole one. There's just no VOD for it, only the G&S one.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

NowonSA posted:

There's also an element of her keeping them on the leash but letting them run around extra. It's kind of like those dog leashes that can be locked into position or released to give the dog lots of room to run around while still ultimately being on the leash, you just let them run out way far out if they want to. She might have done the math on them being major trouble if they oppose her too.

I'm thinking it's going to be a lot harder to oppose her now, and that's why she's not worried about it. They're all part of the Revelrie (is that how you spell the group?) now, and Matt made it clear that there was a dude there drawing their likenesses and descriptions of them. I think that's going to bite them in the rear end in the future if they ever try to leave. "Oh, you betrayed the pirate king? He just sent your description to the Empire along with a list of the crimes you committed so have fun being wanted fugitives everywhere you go!" kind of thing. This whole adventure went crazy when they stole the boat, and it looks to me like Matt is running with the consequences of becoming pirates. Aventica doesn't even have to do anything, really, just let the Pirate King know that they betrayed her and went to back to the Empire.

Maybe it won't be such a big deal, as one of their crew had apparently been there before, but he wasn't a higher up and a leader of a pirate ship.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Arthil posted:

They did however get the go ahead for another season in early 2019 which I am happy about. The channel getting a show that can get some of the legs that CR did when it started is a good sign.

And don't kid yourself if you think Matt doesn't have either a few possible end-game scenarios planned out, plus several endings to each characters main story thought up. The man is actually pretty crazy about his planning, despite giving the advice to not over-plan!

To me it feels like he built a world, put some factions in it that had huge plans for it, and then just lets the players run around and works with whatever they run into first or keep pursuing. If you know that, say, a group of people are trying to raise an army of zombies to conquer a country you can kind of have it happen in the background unless the players get involved. You see hints of it from time to time, like he had plans for what the Briarwoods were doing and if the players had gotten sidetracked it would have just continued on towards the completion of their goals. That would have had an impact on the end game against Vecna but they managed to gently caress them up before they could finish anything.

It feels that way to me now, like the Revelry was something that he had happening in the background but they stole a boat and joined the Revelry so now the pirate's plans have changed but whatever was going on in the Empire will continue unimpeded.

I mean, they started out with a war starting, and it seemed like they were going to go join it. I think Matt know's how the war there is going, and eventually it will come back to them.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wyld Karde posted:

That rarest of all things, a D&D party who managed to make their plan stick.

To be fair, it required some insane luck on their part. Several high rolls and natural 20's saved their asses or made something that could have started a failure spiral into a trivial issue.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

eke out posted:

i don't think those would be able to do mass suggestion? i saw someone more familiar with 5e than me point out everything she cast was consistent with the premade diviner mob from volo's

also apparently mass suggestion isn't concentration at all, though it wouldn't have made much of a difference since Fjord and Caleb made drat well sure none of those guards were going to just let them walk away

I think part of the plan was "If all else fails, get arrested by the Plank King's guys." They're not going to kill them on anyone's orders but his if they've surrendered and haven't hurt any of the guards. Fjord and Caleb seemed pretty ok with the guards taking them into custody to drag to the Plank King, so they must have considered it at least. Their plan required the Plank King to believe them anyways.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Kraps posted:

Originally there was info about it being on twitch and then youtube but there isn't anymore and I'm trying to chill because I am so :kingsley: about this.

I'm close enough to it I'm tempted to go, I just don't want to pay the 250 for VIP.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

beto sex cramp posted:

Yeah. Hell of an advertisement. She seems great.

Someone linked that stream of many eyes she did with Matt and Marisha and a few other people earlier in the thread, and she's drat good at weaving a story.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Anybody manage to get tickets to the live show? First one close to me, and it doesn't sound like they'll be recording it. Their ticket place really needs a better website.

And by dumb luck i got in, but drat it's a crappy seat.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 16, 2018

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Cheston posted:

Maybe Sam will leave you a present!

I'm just hoping I can get a decent picture of his costume.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

eke out posted:

yeah I just assume they've recorded everything so far, being sketchy about whether it will actually be livestreamed is a whole different thing than not recording at all

I think people are gunshy after the last live show at a con, even the cast. They're just not saying one way or the other which has people concerned because this is the internet. Not livestreaming it would be fine with everyone, but being mum about it being recorded is a bit odd. They won't even say "We're trying to make sure the recording is up to our standards" or something similar.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Keru posted:

I want that as a one-off game where they play as the bandits.

Kind of like the Babylon 5 episode where they show the janitors during some huge emergency, or the Buffy episode where Xander saves the world but no one notices or would believe him. Those are amazing stories if done right.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I'm sure there will be a summary somewhere, I'll try to take notes.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Jetrauben posted:

So no spoilers, but last night's show was fanservice in the best way.

It was a ton of fanservice, but oh man can these guys do that well.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Adnor posted:

If true Sam is a goddamn genius.

Of course he is. Last campaign he ran a year long gag just to get Laura to put on a witches hat and paint her face green while riding a flying broomstick during one of their final battles, and if I could find the drat thing there's a video where you can see him planning out how to be able to cast counterspell without Matt realizing it and saving a legendary in their final battle.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mr. Hasty posted:

Is Sam the wide deceiver the one you're looking for?

It is. Thank you.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Popo posted:

Just chiming in to compliment how hard the crew is styling in ep 51. Marisha's squidly dress would be the envy of lots of my friends and Liam is just there for everyone who's crushed on their friends dad.

Also on the hype train for Grog-venture Time.

It was an amazing show, definitely worth watching.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Nemo2342 posted:

Alternate Universe Vox Machina?

Or just start after Tiberius? I mean, it should be possible to do a couple seasons after the first 27 episodes.

Although it raises the important question, will they include the shopping/pub hopping episodes? Because a 30 minute episode of Grog and Pike drunk off their asses would be hilarious, but I'm not sure it would get the ratings they might want.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Lucas Archer posted:

I honestly think Travis has no freaking clue what is going on, and Brian and Marisha are just creating this ridiculous plot in the background and all of his reactions are genuine befuddlement and confusion.

I don't even think Brian and Marisha have a plan, they're just going with what seems fun at the time but hope to pull it together eventually.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wait, can we still back it? I was really hoping to get one of the bear plushies.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I'm trying to figure out the whole consecuted thing. If you're consecuted, when you die you get reincarnated as a random newborn. When you get a little bit older, like 10 years old, you start to remember past lives. You then leave your parents to go off to some random city, or you're spirited away from your birth parents by what could be enemies of your birth nation, never to be seen again? Or if you are, it's basically "I was never your kid, I was just a container for someone else you've never met or even heard of."

Did I miss a bit, or are the consecuted pulling off mythical changeling bullshit to the detriment of innocent people? I mean, it sounded to me like the kids just up and leave one day and the parents are now down one kid. Just, "Oh, thanks for raising the reincarnation of the guy who might want to burn down your country, or kill you if he sees you on the road." I mean, it'd be one thing if they stayed inside the culture of the people who follow the same religion but it sounds like it could be anyone who loses a kid this way. I'd be trying to burn down that country too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Noxin of Shame posted:

I think there was something about needing to being born within the radius of the luxon, for the reincarnated soul to take root?

I think there was, but it's still basically stealing a kid. It's not like they know who's going to be taken. I mean, say the mother dies in childbirth. Now you've lost not only the mother, but the kid as well with no say in the matter. Still kind of lovely without giving the parents some sort of say in the matter.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Cheston posted:

oh snap, I totally forgot about that! It'd make sense that some reincarnations would happen in the Empire, if the Empire had 2 dodecahedrons/Luxons for long enough.

It would also depend on the range, someone moving after having a kid, or if they just were keeping it too close to the border.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

dazoner posted:

Unless Matt guides them back to it, the kidnapped children are probably a dead plotline. I am really interested in who set up the original portals for the demons, that feels like the plot of the campaign given how the M9 met up.

I think it's not a dead plotline, he's said in the past that things keep happening if no one interferes. This campaign alone they stopped to be pirates and missed the raid where the Chair was left behind. I wouldn't put it past Matt to have someone show up at some point looking for their kid who turned out to be a consecrated Krynn, and having a legit grievance about it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

ROFL Octopus posted:

Absolutely this, make it as batshit insane as possible

I think Matt having to do the voices for one side or the other would be far better than anything that would happen if they had to play two characters.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Nuggan posted:

Travis was afraid of the Boos when playing Super Mario last Game Ranch. This is going to be amazing.

Thankfully he's never punched any employees.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Nemo2342 posted:

I felt bad watching Matt try to steer her towards that, but she's just kind of fixated on Unarmored Defense right now even though her bonuses don't really make that superior to wearing medium armor.

Especially with those bracers taking a few months to make. I'm betting he had considered dropping in some treasure/reward for completing a job be some bracers of some kind, and figured she'd buy a breastplate to get by until then.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

So, apparently there's been some changes to the Yee-Haw game ranch.

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1128392190642626560

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Dammit, Matt, Charm Person doesn't make you forget who your other friends are!

He started it out right though, with the guy saying "Don't let your friends past without using that stuff(while pointing at Nott's weapons)". He just forgot all about it once it was going.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Pinwiz11 posted:

It's "remember the prophecy........." day. :woop:

I almost forgot! Who will be the puppet today?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And while it may or may not be the Lady of Pain in the main campaign, she definitely makes an appearance in the one-shot (two-shot?), and since the statue of her is just sort of there I imagine it has to be some kind of foreshadowing. Sure hope she doesn't turn out to be a villain, though, both for the sake of her D&D canon and for the sake of our hapless heroes.

I'm kind of hoping it is the Lady of Pain. The Nine in SIgil would be pretty funny. And I don't think Matt would make her a villain, if I remember right she either can't or won't leave Sigil, and historically fought against Vecna so might be tough to make her the big bad of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm not so much worried about her being a villain (she's usually just more of a cosmic force), but knowing this group someone is going to gently caress with her and get the party mazed.

Oh, that's a given. Someone would think it's in character to gently caress with someone like that and get merc'd right out of the gate. The lack of reaction from the group on hearing the name concerned me a little if they do go to Sigil, even out of character one of them should have known who that was.

It is nice worldbuilding though, and them going to Sigil would be pretty cool. There's already a connection between Vecna and the Lady.