Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Boy, everybody's here to party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

That one-shot was lots of fun. I like them diving into less-serious characters in the same universe, where they can just roll with really goofy character concepts, since the characters don’t need to have 200 episode-long full development arcs.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

Darrow is the Traveller!

I personally can not wait until we meet Darrow’s mentor, Senor Cardgage.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, as someone else who grew up in a pretty happy home with good parents, I also initially didn’t “get” why Beau’s dad was so terrible.

But reading the Internet reactions from people who’ve had abusive/manipulative parents, and seeing their explanations...it makes perfect sense. Of course Beau’s dad is going to present a certain way in front of his now-adult daughter and a group of strangers. But it was all the little things (and I suspect this is Matt being a great actor and understanding how this kind of person behaves) that Beau’s dad said in his conversation that were the cues. He made excuses, blamed Beau, and gave himself all the credit for her turning out as any good at all. It’s all stuff that is specifically aimed at the victim to make it seem as though they’re poo poo and the abuser is right.

I think it comes down to those of us who did not experience this kind of abuse needing to trust the experiences and of those who have, and trust what it looks like when an abuser needs to put on a face for a public audience.

Man...this is some heavy stuff. I’m looking forward to them just fighting a hag.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Mage_Boy posted:

Today's Kickstarter update announced that we are going to be getting a behind the scenes show for the making of the cartoon, including the cast announcement.

Ah, and this is where I regret not supporting the Kickstarter, because that sounds great. Unless they’re going to share them publicly, but this sounds like a backer-only type thing.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Muscular Bicorns is my band name.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

We’ve all know Laura Bailey is fantastic for a long time, but I don’t think I’ve ever been more genuinely impressed by her than last night. That move was loving baller, I had the biggest stupid smile on my face the entire time. God drat.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

If the hag knows how connected Jester is to the rest of the group, I could see her trying to exact revenge by first utterly destroying the Lionettes. And Beau probably wouldn’t care too much about her dad or even her mom, but I think if it affected her little brother that would be a huge issue for her.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, I think he had his own sacrifice play ready, hence his cursing when first Yasha then Jester dashed into the hut ahead of him. Cad choosing to take on a burden to help someone is totally in character, after all.

Talks confirmed that he was ready to potentially offer never going home again as his sacrifice.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Dexo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wEloZXYKvE

Oh hey they are gonna play Monster hearts

I also extremely hope they do more of these and it's not just sponsored.

So many cool ttrpgs out there.

More PbtA RPGs, please! It’s a system that works well for narrative-focused groups like them.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

Tonight's going to be a series of freak accidents where Jester loses both hands in a fight with a swamp crocodile, Yasha drops her book of flowers in the swamp, making it all soggy, and the group hears news that the Kryn Empress has been assassinated by Empire agents.

Also, Cad's house burnt down.

Also just want to say that I’d watch this Critical Role “Final Destination” one-shot.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

That implies that by that level they would not simply hunt down the hag and messily splatter her remains over a wide area.

Like, at this point they would be able to take the hag, at an even higher level they are probably going to find her and just explode the region she lives in.

Possibly, but in watching C1, Matt’s M.O. as a DM seems to be to scale the encounters with the party. Like, anytime they fight the same character multiple times, their enemy is stronger on each subsequent encounter.

It’s also possible he wouldn’t scale up the hag but instead find a reason for the hag to bring in X other creatures during the fight to make it harder.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Matt's been waiting all week for this.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Keru posted:

I wonder what school of meditation it is when you're doing it in a fog full of zombies.

From the people who brought you "hot yoga" comes...haunt yoga!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

I don’t think his power level is approaching any of the deities on the other side of the gate...yet.

Yeah, it feels like right now he’s still the equivalent of a warlock patron.

My tinfoil-hat theory is that because Laura wanted to be a warlock initially when making Jester (before Travis claimed it for Fjord), that Matt set this up to essentially make Laura into a warlock-cleric. Whether that just means she’s mechanically still a cleric with warlock patron flavoring or it means she actually multi classes (or REAL TINFOIL HAT TIME: changes classes completely!), who knows?

I’m waaay overthinking it, it’s just the triangulation of having a “god” that’s actually an archfey, the archfey being a standard warlock patron type, and Laura wanting to make a warlock initially.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

tsob posted:

Sure, I can understand why someone wouldn't look up or want to know about every brand they sell because you're just not going to care after a certain point, but if you're so curious you're asking random people what a thing is then you'd imagine that you'd be curious enough to do a Google search on your phone at some point while you're bored and there's no customers around or something.

There can be a distinct difference between asking a fan of something what that thing is vs googling it. This person may have just wanted a perspective on this thing that everyone’s so crazy for, rather than dry “what is thing” information.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1228001047341191168?s=20

For anyone else who was curious, but doesn't have access to a Hot Topic.

I wonder if this means we’ll eventually get some “boutique design” t-shirts that cost 50% more at Box Lunch.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

She actually mentioned this on Talks! It wasn't so much that she wanted to dual class, but the idea was because she was looking an Archfey warlock, and then asked Matt if she could flavor an Archfey as her cleric god.

She also wanted to have the Pact of the Tome, which is where the idea of her sketchbook came from. She was pretty quickly convinced Matt had changed the idea of the Traveler being Artagan and thought it was going to be something else by the time of the reveal. :v:

lol yeah I saw that and was like “I was...almost right!” But yeah this whole twist on the cleric so there’s a kind of warlock flavoring to it is very cool, I’m excited to see where it goes

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Dick-rune doors should be a running theme

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Every single character on this show has a secret name.

Cad's real name is Sylas Briarwood

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

The trees have bones in them. We're going the right way :dance:

It's Bone-tree
It's Bone-tree
Leave it alooooone-treeee

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Having only watched the first hour of the stream last night...what exactly are people bitching about? Like, was Matt calling for “checks” instead of saying “roll to Turn Someone On” and that pissed people off?

I’ve been running a Monster of the Week campaign for like a year and a half, and while I agree you have to have a slightly different mindset than D&D, like...it’s still rolling dice to determine outcomes. Bringing the framing of one game into another does not inherently make you a bad DM.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

they're literally just angry about the wording. I've run/played a ton of PbtA stuff and unless they're talking about a different thing (this was about the werewolf right?) literally the only difference would be I'd probably just say 'give me a volatile roll to see how that goes'. Matt used D&D terms...BECAUSE HE PLAYS D&D. This is somehow a dumber, faker, thing than the Wendy's 'drama'.

Also big laughs at 'too straight'.

Yeah people’s heads are way up their own asses about this stuff, it seems.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Dameius posted:

I know Matt and Taliesin would either veto or embrace it and its not likely regardless, but I want them to do a Rifts mini-campaign.

Am I remembering correctly that Rifts is the one where you do like 20 million damage and enemies’ lives have like billions of HP or some poo poo?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Ok, so I was wrong in my description, but Rifts is absolutely the RPG I was thinking of. It has been a LONG rear end time since I’ve looked at anything Rifts-related though (like 20 years).

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

God drat I wish I could find it, but there was a Rifts supplement that had a guy who fought in a robot suit and only listened to Rage Against the Machine while he fought (he hated the "newer" music of later decades, which if I'm remembering correctly included an opera revival).

Rifts was the most 90's poo poo in the world. Incredible.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I still think the Darrington Brigade is the best one-shot cast they’ve ever thrown together. Laura’s is the only one who wasn’t exceptionally ridiculous, and she immediately made up for it by just pummeling the living poo poo out of Owlbear. :allears:

Yeah, Darrington Brigade was loving incredible, and one of the only one-shots where I wouldn't mind seeing the occasional sequel one-shot with the same characters.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The Quickling? Volo's Guide to Monsters.

I’m curious if anyone will remember that you have to PAY the Quickling for their service.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

I'LL TAKE THE HAT

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m still getting caught up, just finished Kings Cage. I don’t know spoiler policy here, but is it safe to assume that any time a character goes away for a while it is because they have real life other work? I mean, the twist at Kings Cage was cool, but it sounds like that person is back now, so must be work related?

Yeah, specifically Ashley is in and out because of her work on Blindspot...but the good news is that show is completely done now, so she's back for good!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

For what it's worth, there were a lot of really bad tactical decisions on display, which I'm typically okay with for the sake of the roleplay, but things like Fjord losing two turns teleporting into the ocean and back rather than kicking his door open and shouting an alarm, or using Armor of Agathys to give him some buffer space in a 1v1 fight seem very counter intuitive even from a roleplay perspective. The way Laura's face sank when she used her new spell and forgot about the collateral damage of a 20 foot tall swirling mass of blades kind of got to me, but that's also something she probably could have intuited by the virtue of the spell.

I knocked out for bed in the middle of the fight, dissappointing to hear that Fjord got got, but that seems to have been the goal that Matt had set out for, given the circumstances.

There’s also Liam polymorphing a creature, effectively spending one entire turn giving an enemy +1 HP. After a prior turn with a failed attempt at polymorph.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

On a ship where the players are crew i found it odd that they decided to not take watch still. But yeah, that fight wasnt as tough as people seem to be making out.

And fjords leave the ship/teleport back on didnt really waste much time because the teleporting was a bonus action. He wouldnt have likely rang the bell until his second turn no matter what he did

Yeah I think we can let that go (as well as him teleporting up the mast) under the rule of “Dope poo poo.”

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Adnor posted:

They confirmed the date for the Doom one shot:

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1237422971691495424

Laura is going to be the Mancubus.

You know, sometimes life is pretty okay.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

This might be an unpopular opinion? But I personally like the way Cad fits into the group way more than I liked Molly’s specific fit, and I’d really prefer Cad stick around to the end. Now that said if they want to tie up Molly-related storylines that’s all well and good, I just feel like Cad fills a really necessary role for the group both from an RP perspective and mechanically.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

A good campaign being fully derailed for weeks at a time because of real life is just true to the D&D experience

Now we just need a Skype session where Matt and maybe one other player are together and everyone is else is calling in on busted tech and there’s a baby crying in the background and everything is echoey and barely comprehensible and there’s loud sound feedback from at least two people.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Scorchy posted:

Ep 18/19 are the best beginner episodes. It's self-contained, don't need to know the campaign, funny, good fight at the end, and no Orion.

I agree. And Slayer’s Take stuff actually comes back later way more than Kraghammer stuff does (unless there’s big payoff from Kraghammer in the final like 20 episodes of CR1, which I haven’t gotten through yet).

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Lid posted:

Found it

I know it means dealing with some peak fuckin Orion, but I would say all four Trial of the Take episodes (so 18-21) are significant to later episodes.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

If you have a spare moment over the next day or two then pour one out for Matt and Marisha because this year's Burning Man has been cancelled.

I’m sure they can just recreate the experience inside their house :v:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

This was very relaxing to listen to on Friday evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Nuggan posted:

New Narrative Telephone tomorrow with Sam Reigel and his husband Liam starting the story and special guests Laura Bailey-Unplugged with a repeat of Greg Grunberg on Wednesday