Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I think the table's just fed up with Caleb getting items to cast Identify and then causing a ruckus by not giving it up. Laura especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Sion posted:

I think my issue is that everyone is so loaded up with sub-JJ Abrams Mystery Box bullshit that it's incredibly tiresome. I kind of wanna slap Molly, and not in the good way that I think he's aiming for. I think that there were plans for backstory stuff in C1 but this time? It's been so incredibly front loaded, cagey and closed off that it's becoming less fun and more frustrating.

It's hysterical how many times Taliesin has spiked Matt's story threads. I don't know if he's doing it deliberately or what but I feel really bad for Matt.

Molly: "The murder has absolutely nothing to do with the circus, or anything related to the 'no old people' rule. Trust me."
*3 hour episode of nothing ensues*
Molly: "I guess it's the circus."

Matt: "Here's this fully realized city of Zadash and a bunch of story threads you can follow."
Molly: "We need to leave the city immediately."

also

Molly: "I'm gonna leave it to Matt to come up with my backstory."
Matt: "Here's an NPC related to your backstory."
Molly: "I don't want anything to do with her."

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

Got a bit sidelined last week (and this week); finally sat down and listened to episode 21. Good times - venom troll's a monster I might have to use in the future - but I've gotta say I have no idea what Beau was thinking with that altercation with Caleb. Dude's concerns were clear and reasonable, and his proposed plan wasn't even remotely excessive or really even inconvenient even if his proposed plan needed some tweaking. I'm sure Marisha had somewhere she was going with it, and maybe she demystifies things in episode 22, but she came across like a more aggressively confrontational version of skate kid.

Molly calling Caleb a poor communicator after the fact puzzled me even more. Beau, Jester, and he might've disliked Caleb's plan, and cool, that's something to talk about, but Caleb seemed pretty open, honest, and forthright about what he was thinking and what he wanted.

EDIT: Did some poking around and I've found a few arguments for Caleb's methods being off (spending the night within spitting distance of a sunken dungeon filled with murderous merfolk; could've been a bit more explicit about the item's power first, then introduced his concerns; should've brought Jester in first since she's the one who'd need to cast the spell), but I'm still not finding much to convince me that Beau's handling of the situation was anything other than poor.

DOUBLE EDIT: Ignoring the ~narrative~ for a second, I did forget how long the episode went on for, and I know (as guest character) Cali kinda needed her subplot wrapped up that session, so I get that functionally there was a need to take care of everything relatively quickly, but even so. Hmm. I suppose I'll wait and see how they address this incident in episode 22.

She explained it on Talks, her reasoning was M9 aren't Vox Machina, they're not do-gooders out to protect people from the the evils of Tiamat or whatever, they're a bunch of assholes there to do a job and it had nothing to do with the bowl. Tiamat is someone else's problem and keeping the bowl was going to put them in more danger.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I think he's just trying to figure out how to play Lawful Good in a party of assholes without being a wet blanket

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

They could have rolled 20s the entire fight and still would have lost badly. Nott should have been one-shotted by the Cone of Cold but he mixed up Evasion and Uncanny Dodge.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Veks posted:

Having seen the episode, I can’t believe people reacted so strongly to Ashly’s rping. It really wouldn’t have changed much had she played normally, I think. Also I’m sad Molly is gone bc he was the gayest character in the party, but accusing the cast of homophobia bc he died is like the furthest reach I’ve seen in a while.

I mean he ain't gayer than Beau.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

To be fair Druids and Clerics have a a couple of hundred spells to understand, Bards have a set spell list they pick at level up.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Laura says she doesn't want to kill the dude in the previous turn, the axe to the head was described by Matt and he fixed it next session. Not sure what the issue is.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Isn't she literally playing a monk subclass that beats on people to get the truth out of them

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Silynt posted:

I don’t have the book so I can’t comment, but another theory that I’ve seen thrown around is a Leviathan from Tome of Foes.

As for the power, Matt said on Talks on Tuesday that the blessing, had Travis not hosed it up and remembered to pull his sword out in time, was going to be a custom Warlock Invocation that would allow casting Control Water once a day. He let Avantika use it twice for narrative purposes, and honestly since she’s an NPC I think bumping the power of the blessing up a little for her is totally fine.

Surprised nobody mentioning Caleb deliberately stalling him as he tried to go after it, with his swim speed he should have gotten to it easily.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Silynt posted:

Actually, during Talks Matt specifically mentioned Caleb’s interference as costing Fjord the chance at the blessing, the bit about Travis’ forgetfulness was me editorializing. Apparently Caleb cost him 2 rounds of swimming in the race to the bottom.

It's weird cause Liam and Taliesin have decided their characters are dead set against U'katoa, to the point that Caleb's kinda screwed Fjord out of an upgrade.

But like, out of game, that's just the Warlock class; they interact with their patron to gain power. What's the endgame then... make Fjord stop taking Warlock levels? It's weird.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Well they've gone from plugging PoE2 Deadfire to playing in a Deadfire campaign now.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

She should have been dead, Travis's last two hits were 15 + 9... which he added up to 19.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Feels kinda sucky when the rest of the party is against the core of the class you picked. The whole point of the Warlock is interacting with the patron to gain power or whatever, so when the rest of the party disapproving or hostile about it, it feels as if the game mechanics and RPing are conflicting. It's like, I don't know, if a cleric is in a party with everyone else being militantly atheist.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Did they just completely forgot the Xhoras people took him and not the wizards

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

But they were already working with him weren't they?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

I like how we come back and go right to plotting how we're going to attack the Empire.

Sam was drawing penises during the conversation and now they've convinced themselves it was the empire again

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Blindspot got renewed...

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Can't imagine this won't damage their ability to bring on large sponsors in the future and hurt their ability to grow the channel.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I mean everyone's also paying into their Twitch channel which is owned by Amazon which essentially uses slave labour.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Lucca Blight posted:

Pretty bummed because I was looking forward to watching the one shot.

It was really funny and everyone had a good time.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

lol she had the whole table fooled

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

TotalHell posted:

We’ve all know Laura Bailey is fantastic for a long time, but I don’t think I’ve ever been more genuinely impressed by her than last night. That move was loving baller, I had the biggest stupid smile on my face the entire time. God drat.

Just watching it back, she had the whole thing planned before going in, playing up the ditziness and the sob story with the hands outside the hut to plant the seeds with Matt. Then as soon he mimed eating the cake she goes for the kill. Stone cold.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I mean if the DM is that determined to punish players for clever non-combat solutions aren't they just encouraging murderhoboing? Matt seemed a bit salty in the moment after the game but hopefully the follow-up is more interesting than vindictive. The hag didn't seem the sort to travel far from her home looking for vengeance.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

What an obnoxious encounter.

There's like a billion enemies with 3 or 4 attacks each and everyone's constantly stunned, it's kinda annoying

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

I always tend to cut the players some slack when they've got a cool new spell they want to try, and in the heat of combat don't think it all the way through or miss a part of the spell description. In this particular situation I was more irked at Matt because it felt like the kind of thing where Jester would know better even if Laura did not. The only saving grace is that he didn't go full dick and have something explode due to the sparks going off, and instead just wrecked the wooden wheels (which might be forgotten by next week).

Yeah he pointed out Fireball as an equivalent spell that operated on similar logic, except Fireball's description does talk specifically about the collateral damage. Blade Barrier just talks about it affecting creatures, I'd give Laura some slack here.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Ep 18/19 are the best beginner episodes. It's self-contained, don't need to know the campaign, funny, good fight at the end, and no Orion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

They're trying to explore the island and gain an advantage, but yeah Matt makes them roll a d20 every 10 steps to walk without tripping, and when they get there there's been no loot or information or anything, so yeah it's been dragging slowly.