Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Well maybe not bad but it was pretty meh. It was back when people where like "Science, gently caress yeah!" Now those people are probably posting about ethics in journalism or how girls won't go out them.
2 years ago was a very different time. people alive today could never understand what it was like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

He wasn't a Martian he was a Martian american

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

there is no point in the martian where i thought matt damon was in any danger at all in fact it seemed like he was really enjoying his time on mars and very pleased with himself.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

gary oldmans diary posted:

2 years ago was a very different time. people alive today could never understand what it was like

also lol yeah space and engineering pursuits were cool in the media a few years ago and now they’re just another example of evil men running the world and now they want to run space too!!1 white flight! neo manifest destiny! space colonialism by powerful white men!

totally ignoring all the women/other cultures and countries in the field and dissuading future women from joining, exacerbating the problem rather than helping it

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

At best he overstayed a temporary work visa

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hell Yeah posted:

there is no point in the martian where i thought matt damon was in any danger at all in fact it seemed like he was really enjoying his time on mars and very pleased with himself.

well yeah it was actually fulfillment fantasy by the author wishing HE could be trapped on mars and survive by sheer engineering brilliance. does that not sound like a fun time to you?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

well yeah it was actually fulfillment fantasy by the author wishing HE could be trapped on mars and survive by sheer engineering brilliance. does that not sound like a fun time to you?

Back home growing potatoes wit your own poo poo is just called being cheap *spits*

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

didnt he grow plants using his own poo poo? that tent/structure thing he was living in must have smelled fantastic

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Earwicker posted:

didnt he grow plants using his own poo poo? that tent/structure thing he was living in must have smelled fantastic

He broke wind a lot, but as I am informed by this thread; it was a kinder, gentler wind.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i guess if literally the only food you ate was potatoes all your farts and poo poo would also just smell like potatoes. was this covered in the book?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im growing potatoes in my own poo poo here on earth :patriot:

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

White finds a planet devoid of life and immediately pushes his poo poo into the soil

Where no colony could be a white man makes his own

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Guzzling probiotics to make sure it's the right sort

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Guzzling probiotics to make sure it's the right sort

you might say he engineered his poo poo to be the perfect fertilizer :clint:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

no it sounds horrible. mars doesn't have air bro

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
come on cohagen you got what you want. give deez people airegh!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Good Lord the dialogue is so bad

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

science the "poo poo" out of this (growing vegetables)

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I poo poo on my front yard and no potatoes are growing. :confused: The movie obviously lies.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The pacing of the book was really (forgive the technical term) hosed up. Like it definitely had a movie sort of layout but the author also had this compulsion to just do the: present new set piece -> introduce problem -> protagonists cleverly finds a solution.
Normally you do that a few times and then have the character have a sort of arc within that threshold but he skipped the character arc. It was more like a really flat kind of videogame and the movie very wisely started to chop those instances out towards the last third of the film to let character moments start to occur rather than "oh no now my space car is stuck on some rocks, I am sure dead this time" (add 15 page explanation of how he cleverly gets out of that trouble.)

Like I don't want to knock it for being badly written because I think the writing was fine but the structuring read like he didn't have a broad outline for it and no one asked him to rework it for pacing/repetition in the end for fear of having to publish a sub-300 page novel.

i mean yeah, you're right, but also the writing was flat and boring. it was like a 300 page math story problem where the author showed his work.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

the book definitely read like it was written by a programmer with two engineers as parents, and I honestly have no idea how it got so popular so fast. I mean I loved it, but I’m a space nerd/engineer who builds rockets so I’m kind of the target audience. but i don’t understand how normies even got through all the science speak and poo poo to enjoy the story

movie was decent because I don’t expect movies to adhere exactly to the book or anything and it was just a fun time

and yeah lol at the fuckin wind storm blowing the rocket over

You're not really the target audience. The target audience is dweebs who think 10000 hours of watching the Cosmos reboot and reading XKCD will make you an astrophysicist.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I mean I loved it, but I’m a space nerd/engineer who builds rockets so I’m kind of the target audience. but i don’t understand how normies even got through all the science speak and poo poo to enjoy the story

Razorwired posted:

You're not really the target audience. The target audience is dweebs who think 10000 hours of watching the Cosmos reboot and reading XKCD will make you an astrophysicist.

the target audience is people who said "I want to be an astronaut" when they were a kid and maybe had a real interest in science when they were in high school or college but now they work in accounting or marketing or strategy consulting, live in airplanes and chain hotels, work a job that only occupies half their brain while using the other half to wonder what their life could have been like if they'd really went for it. there's lots of normal people like that and people can tune out science jargon just like they can tune out military/espionage/police jargon when they read tom clancy thrillers and police procedurals etc

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 6, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hell Yeah posted:

no it sounds horrible. mars doesn't have air bro

Or weed.

gently caress that

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Mars needs Bombs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

mind the walrus posted:

It was really well-made but yeah it's little more than a feature-length advertisement for STEM.
andy weir's audience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRGQ-4Rj7xk

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Razorwired posted:

Yeah, seriously. The fact that this guy thinks he is the target audience perpetuates the stereotype of engineers not knowing poo poo about science and are just a bunch of wannabes.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
was it this or the other forgettable snorefest interstellar that had parts of the script literally written by the chinese propaganda ministry?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Fart Puzzle posted:

I read like half of that book during a flight once and it was alright I guess because he used he dookie to grow some taters in space lol

what's taters, precious>?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
No it was good OP. I thought it was going to be some "I loving love science" movie and instead it was more like Apollo 13.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I kept waiting for aliens in it but they never appeared. :smith:

Andenno
May 1, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah, seriously. The fact that this guy thinks he is the target audience perpetuates the stereotype of engineers not knowing poo poo about science and are just a bunch of wannabes.

Wait so the engineer admits that the book is silly, but they like it. This perpetuates the "stereotype of engineers not knowing poo poo about science and are just a bunch of wannabes?"

Were you bullied by an engineer?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wait if the main character from The Martian was in Event Horizon, what horrible thing would the ship show him?

Also, how could he "science the poo poo out of" a spaceship that has been to hell and come back different??

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wait if the main character from The Martian was in Event Horizon, what horrible thing would the ship show him?

that other poo poo space movie by chris nolan

liberate tutemet ex interstellar

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Castaway was better, imo.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Castaway was better, imo.
yeah castaway is p good

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The book was okay but the Matt Damon guy was all purplemonkeydishwasher humor the whole time and I'll just go read Deadpool comics if I want that poo poo.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wait if the main character from [film] was in Event Horizon, what horrible thing would the ship show him?

This is Photoshop thread worthy.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kuato posted:

I kept waiting for aliens in it but they never appeared. :smith:

Yeah I’m waiting for a loving ALIEN to come out of your dumb poo poo stomach ! Fukin Matt Damon dumb forehead looking mother fucker

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i liked the movie but i enjoyed the book a lot more, hth op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Careful Drums posted:

i liked the movie but i enjoyed the book a lot more, hth op