Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Martian is good

Apollo 13 is great

this is why i liked The Martian most of all, it felt like a squeal to Apollo 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i am sad the movie didn't start with the same line as the book ("I'm pretty much hosed"), and i also really liked the book's detailed description of the tent ripping
but both are good,

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I'm the extremely violent sandstorm on Mars with an atmospheric pressure of 6 mbar

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i'm gonna science the poo poo out of this thread

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'd rather watch the Sealab 2021 episode Der Dieb, where Captain Murphy declares Martian law.

Was that the SeaQuest DSV episode when they found aliens and went into space?

Enemy Ace
Mar 14, 2006
"We stain the sky. We fight a war in heaven."
If they fused one poo poo movie ('metheus) and one utterly mediocre movie (The Martian) I guess it could have some potential:

Matt Damon +his crew of retards spends most of the movie making GBS threads to produce poo poo for the poo poo taters, which they then utilize in some form of biological warfare against the protoaliens.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

psyman posted:

Another annoying thing was how almost everyone in the film talked in a smarmy, distant sarcastic way, nothing like how people would realistically talk in that situation.

I can buy that at least one person would talk in a smarmy, distant, sarcastic way about a serious situation, my problem was more that literally every single person in the movie and book talks exactly identically.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Haven’t seen it, I’ve been on smoko so leave me alone

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you were going to grow potatoes on Mars you’d do it in something shaped like a garbage can. Potatoes have deep root systems off which the new potatoes form. Lots of people have discovered that the most efficient way of going high yield potatoes with little investment and management is a garbage can full of dirt. Trying to grow potatoes in Martian soil is loving stupid. You can’t just modify the surface soil and expect the lower meter of dirt to be amenable to plant growth in terms of moisture, nutrients, and temperature.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Who wants to watch Matt Damon poo poo in a trashcan again he's gonna get typecast

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
But Matt Damon is already typecast as Ben Afflecks best friend.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

cowofwar posted:

If you were going to grow potatoes on Mars you’d do it in something shaped like a garbage can. Potatoes have deep root systems off which the new potatoes form. Lots of people have discovered that the most efficient way of going high yield potatoes with little investment and management is a garbage can full of dirt. Trying to grow potatoes in Martian soil is loving stupid. You can’t just modify the surface soil and expect the lower meter of dirt to be amenable to plant growth in terms of moisture, nutrients, and temperature.

He didn’t use Martian soil, he used Terran poop

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
maybe matt damon can get work as robin in the next batman movie :ohdear: im deeply concerned about him taking money for getting filmed making GBS threads into trash cans

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i loled majorly when he said "im gonna science the poo poo out of this!!!l" and when he explains how mars is considered international waters and his getting into a vehicle makes him a freaking pirate!!! epic bacon for the win, good sir!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

space monkey cheese!!!!!

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I luv loving science!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Martian is perhaps a bad movie, but it inspired Elon Musk and a bunch of other rich assholes to commit suicide by space ,so it's good on balance.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I read Artemis and it was just okay but mostly had embarrassingly bad dialog.

Well, both books were written by a man who never had a friend so

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Martian more like FARTIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Where does "Earth Girls Are Easy" weigh in on this sci-fi scale?

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I have a thing for Kate Mara so based on that, it's a fine film.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Enemy Ace posted:

If they fused one poo poo movie ('metheus) and one utterly mediocre movie (The Martian) I guess it could have some potential:

Matt Damon +his crew of retards spends most of the movie making GBS threads to produce poo poo for the poo poo taters, which they then utilize in some form of biological warfare against the protoaliens.
Or they grow space taters with their poo poo, which turn out like that mushroom thingies in Covenant, and they inhale the potato spores and then, surprise, something bursts out of one of their chests. Nobody saw it coming!

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Drunken Baker posted:

Where does "Earth Girls Are Easy" weigh in on this sci-fi scale?

It weighs in at Ashley Graham

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's more than 4 normal people

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes
OP you are correct it is a very bad movie. Everyone seems to forget about 1/3 of the way through the movie that all communications with the crew should be on a 15-30 minute lag. There are no characters except Matt and maybe the captain and the director of NASA. And Matt is paper thin and ridiculously juvenile and egotistic. There is also no story, it's just problem, solution, bad music, problem, solution, bad music. It's like, I want to tell Ridley I know you're playing this disco music somewhat ironically but it doesn't change the fact that you're playing disco music.

sick brunch kills
Nov 18, 2016

Brunch DJ goin' hard as fuck

This avatar brought to you by the Lowtax Needs a New Spine Fund
I watched about 10 minutes of it on HBO and fell asleep. I’m watching the Expanse rn tho and that’s some good Martian action imho

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i was disappointed with almost all of Prometheus except for when the massive spacetoddler Engineer wakes up and makes a massive mess with his massive hands, grasping at the face of everyone he could see and smashing apart their heads like a macabre Gallagher

that owned

would i enjoy the Martian?

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
I give Matt Damon's rear end a 1/5. Can't believe I sat through most of the movie to see a pancake. I turned it off when they seriously discussed sending him into space by removing one of the walls of the ship and replacing it with tarp.

Donald Glover couldn't even save that movie.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Ebola Roulette posted:

I give Matt Damon's rear end a 1/5. Can't believe I sat through most of the movie to see a pancake. I turned it off when they seriously discussed sending him into space by removing one of the walls of the ship and replacing it with tarp.

Donald Glover couldn't even save that movie.

Yea, I mean if the Martian atmosphere was so thin that a tarp was suitable protection during his ascent, how could winds cause all that damage at the beginning of the movie?

I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It’s science fiction, emphasis on fiction. I don’t expect movies to be entirely scientifically accurate because concessions are often made for the sake of advancing the plot or driving the narrative. When watching Event Horizon, I didn’t concern myself with how Sam Neil’s character could see with no eyes.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Well, in the movie's defense, the book is somehow worse

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Carl Seitan posted:

Yea, I mean if the Martian atmosphere was so thin that a tarp was suitable protection during his ascent, how could winds cause all that damage at the beginning of the movie?

I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It’s science fiction, emphasis on fiction. I don’t expect movies to be entirely scientifically accurate because concessions are often made for the sake of advancing the plot or driving the narrative. When watching Event Horizon, I didn’t concern myself with how Sam Neil’s character could see with no eyes.

"it's science FICTION" is the worst defense ever, especially for a book/movie that purposefully tries to be realistic

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I liked when bossman was like "i want my codename to be glorfindel" and PR lady rolls her eyes and is all like "UGH! loving nerds at it again!"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

it STINKS!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

dumb thing about this movie is it makes fun of disco and disco is outstanding

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Martian is okay but Interstellar is better

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Well, in the movie's defense, the book is somehow worse

reads like a textbook

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You know, if the mission wasn't scheduled to be over a major American holiday, there may not have been any vacuum sealed.potatoes there for him to plant, then BAM no movie.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

boar guy posted:

reads like a textbook

Textbooks contain useful information and are written by an expert in the field

This book that tries to be an accurate portrayal of space exploration and agriculture is written by a software developer

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Matt Damon is not My Favorite Martian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
whoa i stepped into a time machine and it’s 2015 but goons are still making threads about whatever movie they watched over the weekend. Clinton/Kaine wow how bout that switch amirite? Have I killed myself yet?

• Locked thread