Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like the respect shown here. A tiny ray of sunlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I guess it's a good movie if you like science/engineering but as a sci-fi movie it's sort of weak.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
sunshine sucked until captain sunburn showed up and killed the annoying icarus crew. The only mistake is cilian murphy didn't get blown out into space and have his eyes bug out of his skull like total recall. Possibly improved even further by a final bullet-time gun-fu match between captain america and captain sunburn.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Moon is also way loving better and has real consequences for our dear heroes rather than sciencing up some hashbrowns.

Sunshine is awesome, the gearshift when it turns to horror genre is jarring but I, as an Event Horizon fan, didn't think it was entirely out of place.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Sunshine ruled and the story needed something to get in the way of their Nuke the Sun plan in the final act, sun-crazy killer was a good choice.

It was also phenomenally slick that sun-crazy man distorted the picture every time he's on screen, like he's that far disfigured by the sun as to be incomprehensible.

Kazak fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 6, 2018

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

FogHelmut posted:

The book was okay but the Matt Damon guy was all purplemonkeydishwasher humor the whole time and I'll just go read Deadpool comics if I want that poo poo.

lol all that poo poo was ripped from the book

in fact, the movie cut out junk like "Pirate ninjas" or whatever it was from the book.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

ps

the original Solaris is a good space movie

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

The Solaris book is amazing. Actually just go ahead and read the Hugo/Nebula award winner list.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the book was bad because it was written by a STEMlord as a series of bad blog posts, then mashed into a bad book

solaris owns (either version)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dave Concepcion posted:

was it this or the other forgettable snorefest interstellar that had parts of the script literally written by the chinese propaganda ministry?

I think it was both

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also how does he grow potatoes from cooked potatoes

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

It was pretty harmless sci-fi and getting wound up over Martian wind is dumb.

It's like complaining that gravity (the film) makes no sense because the orbits are way too different and there's not enough delta-v. Yes, but the movie sucks and is boring without it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i didn't see it so much as "engineering science nerd" wank. i saw i more like an episode of survivorman, but on mars. surviving and adapting to different environments is one of the things that humans are very good at

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

How is it that a wall blew out of his Martian space hovel and he replaced it with a plastic sheet and duct tape?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rivethead posted:

How is it that a wall blew out of his Martian space hovel and he replaced it with a plastic sheet and duct tape?

There's no wind to blow it away like on Earth.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Rutibex posted:

i didn't see it so much as "engineering science nerd" wank. i saw i more like an episode of survivorman, but on mars. surviving and adapting to different environments is one of the things that humans are very good at

maybe you missed how every five minutes Matt damnon goes "welp time to science the poo poo out of this, good thing I studied STEM, now here's a five minute explanation of how poop makes potatoes"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

its impressive it went from a series of blog posts to a hollywood movie

its not that bad, just annoying, id give it a 5.5/10

its no 'metheus

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

numberoneposter posted:

Moon is also way loving better and has real consequences for our dear heroes rather than sciencing up some hashbrowns.

Moon was just added to Netflix and is one of Sam Rockwell's best performances, which is saying something. No other Duncan Jones movie has been close to Moon.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Moon is an instant classic which will always be one of my top favs. Prometheus is very pretty poop from a butt.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
The book was really good, and it's the only reason the movie did so well. The script was so well done that even Ridley Scott couldn't gently caress it up with his string of lovely movies he's made in the last decade+.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lindelof needs to die of AIDS.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

The actual science stuff was interesting. It would be ok if the jokes weren't big bang theory level terrible. the "well technically I'm a space pirate:smuggo:" line died so hard in the theater I was a little embarrassed.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Moon was just added to Netflix and is one of Sam Rockwell's best performances, which is saying something. No other Duncan Jones movie has been close to Moon.

its the first and only Duncan Jones movie I've seen, I loved it but nothing else's he's done even looks appealing at all

to be fair tho he's very early in his career and has only written like 3 movies at all, and is probably doing stuff like warcraft just for money

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dracky posted:

The actual science stuff was interesting. It would be ok if the jokes weren't big bang theory level terrible. the "well technically I'm a space pirate:smuggo:" line died so hard in the theater I was a little embarrassed.

I like this line. I feel like everyone here is just a bit to cynical these days. just sit back and enjoy a fun romp on mars!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i would rather see a martian potatoes episode of how its made. male narrator only please

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
If I were trapped on Mars I'd grow some martian weed (weed grown on Mars is red due to the soil, FACT) and just be high 36/11 (or whatever a Martian week is) and set all sort of embarrassing 'firsts' that future schoolkids would have to learn. "Thanks to the lower gravity, you can see from these stains that the first man on Mars was able to spooge nine feet in the air."

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rutibex posted:

I like this line. I feel like everyone here is just a bit to cynical these days. just sit back and enjoy a fun romp on mars!

The line was fine in the book, it was just one more throwaway “look at the things this nerd thinks” joke (including aqua man references), but it was really badly delivered in the movie, I agree with previous poster

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

I hate that he was so wasteful with the ketchup early on, then complained about running out of it later

Like come on, I thought planning ahead was your forte bro

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The line was fine in the book, it was just one more throwaway “look at the things this nerd thinks” joke (including aqua man references), but it was really badly delivered in the movie, I agree with previous poster

I didn’t know you learned to read. I thought you just liked looking at pictures in comic books. You’ve given me a lot to think about.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kuato posted:

I didn’t know you learned to read. I thought you just liked looking at pictures in comic books. You’ve given me a lot to think about.

gently caress your rear end in a top hat clothes!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Didn’t this movie win an academy award for comedy?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Eh, it's okay, but it still doesn't top Disney's My Favorite Martian for Marsploitation films. That movie had a talking spacesuit.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

The Martian was a bad book.

for exactly the same reasons OP says the martian was a bad movie

Yeah even good books often turn into bad movies so just lol @ expecting a movie based on a bad book to not be trash

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The book sucked because it was fiction that read like it was actually the diary of a scientist who has no idea how to write interesting prose

The next book I read after I finished the Martian was Kon-Tiki because I was like "hey why don't I read an adventure story that's true AND written by someone who knows how to write?"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Half of the movie was just Casey Neistat style vlogging on Youtube.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I thought Matt Damon was a poor choice for the role, it felt like I was watching him be “Matt Damon” rather than the character. He’s just not engaging and and it took me out of the story.

Another annoying thing was how almost everyone in the film talked in a smarmy, distant sarcastic way, nothing like how people would realistically talk in that situation.

Also saying “here’s the rub” over and over again in the cringeworthy vlogs, talking with his mouth full of food. Some weird directing overall from Ridley Scott.

UncleMoeLester
Oct 25, 2016

Midget Fiddler
Lipstick Apathy
I liked it

especially the ridiculous ending where he pops his space suit to fly around

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Event Horizon even had space weed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The Martian is good

Apollo 13 is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'd rather watch the Sealab 2021 episode Der Dieb, where Captain Murphy declares Martian law.

• Locked thread