Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

The Martian was a bad book.

for exactly the same reasons OP says the martian was a bad movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The pacing of the book was really (forgive the technical term) hosed up. Like it definitely had a movie sort of layout but the author also had this compulsion to just do the: present new set piece -> introduce problem -> protagonists cleverly finds a solution.
Normally you do that a few times and then have the character have a sort of arc within that threshold but he skipped the character arc. It was more like a really flat kind of videogame and the movie very wisely started to chop those instances out towards the last third of the film to let character moments start to occur rather than "oh no now my space car is stuck on some rocks, I am sure dead this time" (add 15 page explanation of how he cleverly gets out of that trouble.)

Like I don't want to knock it for being badly written because I think the writing was fine but the structuring read like he didn't have a broad outline for it and no one asked him to rework it for pacing/repetition in the end for fear of having to publish a sub-300 page novel.

i mean yeah, you're right, but also the writing was flat and boring. it was like a 300 page math story problem where the author showed his work.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

The book was okay but the Matt Damon guy was all purplemonkeydishwasher humor the whole time and I'll just go read Deadpool comics if I want that poo poo.

lol all that poo poo was ripped from the book

in fact, the movie cut out junk like "Pirate ninjas" or whatever it was from the book.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

ps

the original Solaris is a good space movie

• Locked thread